Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, you have to pay again. Their spin on it is that you're basically paying early (and at a discount) for version 4 since it will be a free upgrade if you buy this version. That sounds somewhat reasonable, but I do wish I had held off a little longer considering I just bought it about a month ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.

Diabolik900 posted:

Yeah, you have to pay again. Their spin on it is that you're basically paying early (and at a discount) for version 4 since it will be a free upgrade if you buy this version. That sounds somewhat reasonable, but I do wish I had held off a little longer considering I just bought it about a month ago.

Is that confirmed anywhere? They are still selling it on their website. Seems disingenuous to have someone pay $40 on their site for a product that won't be updated vs $20 on the app store for the "next" version. Their website doesn't even mention there's a version on the mac app store.

yep, here it is: http://forum.agilebits.com/index.php?/topic/8068-official-answers-1password-and-the-mac-app-store/

ndrake fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 9, 2011

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

ndrake posted:

Is that confirmed anywhere? They are still selling it on their website. Seems disingenuous to have someone pay $40 on their site for a product that won't be updated vs $20 on the app store for the "next" version. Their website doesn't even mention there's a version on the mac app store.

yep, here it is: http://forum.agilebits.com/index.php?/topic/8068-official-answers-1password-and-the-mac-app-store/

What the gently caress. Why cant they be like Panic and maintain a non-MAS version?

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

frogbs posted:

What the gently caress. Why cant they be like Panic and maintain a non-MAS version?

If Sparrow's sales are any indication, 98% of their sales from the MAS and 2% from their website. So why bother maintaining a version outside of the MAS?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
AFAIK, Panic has only indicated it will maintain both options for the current major versions of their software. They haven't said if the next major version will be MAS-only or not.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Anmitzcuaca posted:

So I kinda want to like the spelling correction in Lion as its useful for when I make typos, but is there a way to undo corrections with a keyboard shortcut? Like I wanna write Skream sometimes, not scream, but it won't let me and I have to stop typing to click on the word to stop it from changing it.
If you can wait long enough for the popup to come out you can hit the right arrow to ignore the correction.

Anyone have it ignore easy corrections for no reason half the time? Just like iOS :argh:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I have a metric shitton of documents that I want to scan into Lion and store for archival purposes.

I'm looking for a program that would help do this:

* I scan in a document
* It allows me to give it a name, and tags, and maybe some metadata and then it tosses it in a database.
* Then I can search by name, tag, or the metadata.

I can't seem to find a single program to do this without it being a horrible bloated/unusable piece of poo poo. Does anyone swear by some piece of software for this task? Additionally, recommendations on a good scanner would be nice as well.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Still have to run TRIM enabler for third-party SSDs.

How necessary is this? I read, for example, that the Crucial SSDs have firmware-level features that negate the need for TRIM enabler. Is that accurate?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

rckstar79 posted:

How necessary is this? I read, for example, that the Crucial SSDs have firmware-level features that negate the need for TRIM enabler. Is that accurate?
Firmware-level garbage collection will never be as accurate or as fast as native TRIM support. That said, depending on the drive GC can come pretty close.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES

Fren posted:

I have a metric shitton of documents that I want to scan into Lion and store for archival purposes.

* I scan in a document
* It allows me to give it a name, and tags, and maybe some metadata and then it tosses it in a database.

I can't seem to find a single program to do this without it being a horrible bloated/unusable piece of poo poo. Does anyone swear by some piece of software for this task? Additionally, recommendations on a good scanner would be nice as well.
Sounds like you want DEVONthink. Great solution if you don't mind paying the cash but they are pretty firm on prices. That said they will issue you a trial license if you email them.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Fren posted:

* I scan in a document

I kind of had something similar going on with an Automator workflow and folder actions. I have a network scanner that just dumps scans into a folder, then the folder action renamed it (prompted for base filename then added date/time), moved it to a scans folder, and opened it in Preview where I could check the scan and tag it manually. Nothing fancy like a database...but with Spotlight searching a folder and decent file naming and metadata tagging it's a decent free solution.

Then 10.6.8 came out and appeared to have broken folder actions for me and many others according to :google: :downs:. I haven't upgraded that machine to 10.7 yet so I'm not sure how folder actions are in Lion. Looks like there's an Automator action for setting PDF metadata so perhaps play with that a bit and see what you can do. I think there's actions you can do with Image Capture too but I've never tried those.

Hardware wise I have no clue, mine is just a Brother networked multifunction device. Works with Image Capture directly through USB or over the network, but I almost exclusively just do scanning on the device itself and set it up to dump scans into a folder on my work Mac (mine uses FTP). Whatever you get I'd just try using the built in drivers first before taking a chance with whatever possible crapware the scanner comes with.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

NerdPolice posted:

Sounds like you want DEVONthink. Great solution if you don't mind paying the cash but they are pretty firm on prices. That said they will issue you a trial license if you email them.

Holy poo poo, 150 dollars?! Although, the scanners they're providing in the combo pack (450 dollars!?!) don't look like absolute trash, so maybe it's worth it.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005
I have no experience with it, but what about those Neatdesk scanners? They are marketed for digitizing your batches of records and receipts and such.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Is there any way to install FCP7 on a machine that already has FCPX?
When trying the install disc FCP is greyed out and skipped.
I've got to finish someone else's project, so if backing up and deleting X will bring the install option back I'd do that for the time I'm working on this.

e: Ahh. Obviously they have the same application title. Moved X to a subfolder. Hopefully they're okay living together like that. 7 is working at least.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Sep 10, 2011

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm experiencing occasionally crackly audio on my 2008 iMac. It doesn't happen with things played in VLC, or Movist, or iTunes, but it does happen with some flash sounds, and the alert sounds in Adium. It does not happen all the time with these things. I've also checked the connections between my iMac and speakers (iMac -> mixer -> amp -> speakers) and it's all good, this coupled with the fact that it never happens in some applications makes me think it's not a hardware issue.

Does this sound like some sort of codec issue? If so, how can I fix it?

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 10, 2011

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Anmitzcuaca posted:

that only stops it from changing before you've pressed space and if you're typing quickly you miss it and have to go back which is annoying. I just turned it off for now anyway.

Command - Z will undo an autocorrection.

DigitalChaos
Aug 18, 2003

Mikey-San posted:

If your goal is to have multiple destinations and switch them with a script, your script should use tmutil to change the destination instead. This is the officially supported mechanism to change the backup destination in an automated fashion.

/Library/Preferences is also locked down. It's root:wheel 755. You're trying to do this the wrong way. Use tmutil.
Well, even tmutil brings me right back to square one of needing root privs:

code:
     setdestination [-p] arg
             Configure a local HFS+ volume or AFP share as the backup destina-
             tion. Requires root privileges.
So, it doesn't matter how I go about this. Changing my TM destination requires root privs and I still don't know of a way to do that in a way that works and doesn't require constant user interaction (entering a password, etc)

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Putting an Intel SSD in my brand new MacBook Pro today. Is this what I should be doing to enable TRIM in Lion? - http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Teenage Fansub posted:

Is there any way to install FCP7 on a machine that already has FCPX?
When trying the install disc FCP is greyed out and skipped.
I've got to finish someone else's project, so if backing up and deleting X will bring the install option back I'd do that for the time I'm working on this.

e: Ahh. Obviously they have the same application title. Moved X to a subfolder. Hopefully they're okay living together like that. 7 is working at least.

Apple explicitly states that 7 and X will coexist happily, so you should be fine.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Putting an Intel SSD in my brand new MacBook Pro today. Is this what I should be doing to enable TRIM in Lion? - http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/
That's the most recent I've heard on the topic, so yes.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
I'm not really sure where to put this since it involves three different topics but I'll try here first -

Just bought an 80GB Intel 320 series SSD to put in an old black macbook. Through previous experience I've had to do this round-a-bout procedure to get OS X onto a new HDD and it almost always works:

1) Boot from my Snow Leopard Upgrade/Install disc on a separate 13" MBP
- The new drive is connected via USB to this machine as well.
2) Via 'Disk Utility' on the install disc, format the new drive (Mac OS Extended Journaled, GUID, etc.)
3) Begin the installation process.
4) Finish install, put the new HDD into whatever machine I want it to be in.

I've tried this with the new SSD twice today, but both times the installation has failed. The progress bar will fill up halfway, after about 15 minutes, and will just say 'Install Failed'.

I'm at my wit's end with this and about ready to loving throw every computer I own and the new SSD off my balcony. WTF am I doing wrong?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
why wouldn't you put the ssd in the computer you want to put an ssd in, boot from the snow leopard disc, format the ssd and install mac os x?

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

why wouldn't you put the ssd in the computer you want to put an ssd in, boot from the snow leopard disc, format the ssd and install mac os x?

It says it can't install Snow Leopard because the hard drive doesn't already have existing copy of OS X installed. As if it thinks I want to upgrade the OS, but there's nothing to upgrade.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

DigitalChaos posted:

Well, even tmutil brings me right back to square one of needing root privs:

code:
     setdestination [-p] arg
             Configure a local HFS+ volume or AFP share as the backup destina-
             tion. Requires root privileges.
So, it doesn't matter how I go about this. Changing my TM destination requires root privs and I still don't know of a way to do that in a way that works and doesn't require constant user interaction (entering a password, etc)

Nothing changes from a privilege standpoint. Like I said, the Time Machine preferences are locked down. This is a system security feature.

If you're going to use AppleScript, you'll need to use "with administrator privileges" to execute the shell command. Unless your script is long-lived, you won't be prompted more than once:

ADC posted:

Once a script is correctly authenticated, it will not ask for authentication again for five minutes.

via: http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#technotes/tn2065

You can embed the authentication credentials in the "do shell script" command, but I don't recommend doing that. Unprivileged attackers will be able to read that data unless you make it so only root can read the script, at which point you won't be able to read the file to run it.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Venkmanologist posted:

It says it can't install Snow Leopard because the hard drive doesn't already have existing copy of OS X installed. As if it thinks I want to upgrade the OS, but there's nothing to upgrade.

Where'd you get the disc from?

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

Where'd you get the disc from?

Purchased directly from Apple when Snow Leopard was released. It says 'Upgrade DVD' on the disc, but I've been able to use it to install OS X on brand new hard drives before as is.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Is there a good app someone can recommend that will let me see what channels nearby Wifi networks are broadcasting on? I remember a thread a few months ago with a Windows app that did the same thing but couldn't find a Mac one.

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010
What's the best way to keep multiple folders on the same mac synchronized? I apologize if this gets asked a lot, but I'm still waiting for the 'killer app' to do this.

Edit, each folder is at least 1tb.

wanderlost fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 11, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

wanderlost posted:

What's the best way to keep multiple folders on the same mac synchronized? I apologize if this gets asked a lot, but I'm still waiting for the 'killer app' to do this.
Microsoft has a sync tool that works pretty well, otherwise I'm gonna say iCloud in a few weeks, assuming it's not a ton of data.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Anmitzcuaca posted:

Is there a good app someone can recommend that will let me see what channels nearby Wifi networks are broadcasting on? I remember a thread a few months ago with a Windows app that did the same thing but couldn't find a Mac one.

iStumbler will. It's got loads of other data about the other networks, too.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Anmitzcuaca posted:

That thread mentioned http://kismac-ng.org/, and also had a spreadsheet so that you could make those graphs like the windows program, but I lost that.

DigitalChaos
Aug 18, 2003

Mikey-San posted:

Nothing changes from a privilege standpoint. Like I said, the Time Machine preferences are locked down. This is a system security feature.

If you're going to use AppleScript, you'll need to use "with administrator privileges" to execute the shell command. Unless your script is long-lived, you won't be prompted more than once:

via: http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#technotes/tn2065

You can embed the authentication credentials in the "do shell script" command, but I don't recommend doing that. Unprivileged attackers will be able to read that data unless you make it so only root can read the script, at which point you won't be able to read the file to run it.

yea, the 5 min thing is the issue. That means I am going to get prompted every time I plug in my TM disk and unplug it (several times per day). I could probably look into using the keyring or something to securely cache the credentials. How do all the various apps that need high level access only need you to authenticate the first time around? They continue to do their thing for days/weeks/months after that first auth.

blah.. this is getting stupid complicated. It sucks because this simple little script was working just fine a year ago.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
I am using my Linux box as a TIme Machine backup location and I occasionally get this alert:

Do all Time Machine drives do this, even the supported Time Capsules? It is pretty annoying to have to recreate the backup from scratch. Thank goodness for gigabit connections I guess.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

wanderlost posted:

Edit, each folder is at least 1tb.

What's wrong with symbolic links? That should work if you want them to be truly "synchronized"

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Is it possible to mount an external USB harddrive that's plugged/mounted onto another computer (Linux) on my network?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Ziir posted:

Is it possible to mount an external USB harddrive that's plugged/mounted onto another computer (Linux) on my network?

Yes.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

ssh -X user@host

doesn't work?

(Sorry, it's not clear if you're asking for the answer to "how do I ssh forward?" or the answer to "why doesn't -X work?")

That was it. I was not using the -X switch.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Modern Pragmatist posted:

Do all Time Machine drives do this, even the supported Time Capsules? It is pretty annoying to have to recreate the backup from scratch. Thank goodness for gigabit connections I guess.

I have never seen that with my Time Capsule.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
When I'm using Preview in full screen mode to view PDFs and switch pages, a little popup comes up saying "Page X of Y" for a few seconds. Can I make this popup never show up? It's distracting at best, and just plain annoying.

e: Actually, it seems there's two ways to enter full-screen and they're not the same :psyduck:

Pressing the fullscreen button in the top right fullscreens it and gives it its own space, like it's suppose to. But now changing pages gives that annoying 'Page X of Y' popup and there's a stupid animation to the page changes. It also gives you access to 3 finger swipe left/right to change pages.

However, pressing cmd+shift+f ALSO fullscreens it, giving it it's own space too. But now 3 finger swipe is gone, but you can still change the pages with the left/right arrows. Page changes are now instantaneous and there's no annoying 'Page X of Y' popup.

… it really doesn't seem like there should be a difference here and it just seems like Apple didn't do much testing on this whole fullscreen mode at all.

Ziir fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

Modern Pragmatist posted:

I am using my Linux box as a TIme Machine backup location and I occasionally get this alert:

I had this all the time when I was backing up to a sparsebundle on a NTFS share. It annoyed me enough to buy a time capsule right when Lion came out.