Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DJExile posted:

Yeah he's like the white version of that Asian guy that pops up everywhere.

E: This guy

There's a black guy that pops up everywhere now too, although not as ubiquitous as asian guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

raditts posted:

There's a black guy that pops up everywhere now too, although not as ubiquitous as asian guy.

When Ubiquitous Black, White and Asian Guys end up in the same commercial, the universe will collapse in on itself and we will be born anew in fire.

Or it'll cause this thread to explode with like 50 simultaneous posts.

Aw, who am I kidding, there's like six of us that actually rage here constantly. But we'd probably make up like 99% of those 50 posts.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
This is more a nitpick than anything else:

The Subaru ad where the guy goes to the junkyard where his crashed car sits. He reaches in and takes off the gear shift knob and puts it in his pocket. At the end, you see it on the front seat of his new car.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
There is a new commercial for the Dodge Journey. It talks about how important it is to get out and have real adventures and says "no one talks about the web sites they want to visit when they die, or fills a photo album with pictures from an image search."

At the end of the commercial they mention that somewhere in the world are 3 hidden Dodge Journeys that you get to keep if you find them. How do you find them you might ask?

The clues are on YouTube....

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I gotta wonder about the effectiveness of car commercials. Does anybody really get the urge to run out and buy a new car after seeing one of these?

fariz
Nov 10, 2009

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I gotta wonder about the effectiveness of car commercials. Does anybody really get the urge to run out and buy a new car after seeing one of these?

No, but it creates brand awareness, which, when you DO decide to go buy a new car, absolutely helps

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Mister Kingdom posted:

This is more a nitpick than anything else:

The Subaru ad where the guy goes to the junkyard where his crashed car sits. He reaches in and takes off the gear shift knob and puts it in his pocket. At the end, you see it on the front seat of his new car.

This ad gets me because that's all he had in the car? His shifter knob and I think some papers in the glovebox? When I was in my only car collision to date (not my fault; guy blew through a red light and I couldn't miss), I went to the place that my totaled car was at and made sure to look in every nook and cranny before I left that thing. I removed the stereo, the speakers, all my paperwork, my tools and jumper cables in the back, the flashlight and shop rags I kept under the seats, the change in the ashtray, and so much more little poo poo here and there. Hell, I even took the battery I'd just bought two weeks prior. This guy in the ad rolls up, takes his shifter knob and some paperwork, and after having a moment of silence for his wreck says, "Welp, see ya' later, car! VROOOM!"

But I guess it's better to see that than to watch some guy look under the dash, under the seats, in every little cubbyhole, etc.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

fariz posted:

No, but it creates brand awareness, which, when you DO decide to go buy a new car, absolutely helps

I dunno, if I were to buy a new car I'd probably grab a Consumer Reports and see what they had to say. Just because I'm aware that there's something called "Infiniti" or whatever doesn't mean I'll just drive up to my local Infiniti joint.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

You Are A Elf posted:

This ad gets me because that's all he had in the car? His shifter knob and I think some papers in the glovebox? When I was in my only car collision to date (not my fault; guy blew through a red light and I couldn't miss), I went to the place that my totaled car was at and made sure to look in every nook and cranny before I left that thing. I removed the stereo, the speakers, all my paperwork, my tools and jumper cables in the back, the flashlight and shop rags I kept under the seats, the change in the ashtray, and so much more little poo poo here and there. Hell, I even took the battery I'd just bought two weeks prior. This guy in the ad rolls up, takes his shifter knob and some paperwork, and after having a moment of silence for his wreck says, "Welp, see ya' later, car! VROOOM!"

But I guess it's better to see that than to watch some guy look under the dash, under the seats, in every little cubbyhole, etc.

I haven't seen the ad but from the description it just sounds like the shifter knob had sentimental value so the guy went and got it, and now it's on the front seat of his new car so he can have a piece of his old car in his new one.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

GutBomb posted:

I haven't seen the ad but from the description it just sounds like the shifter knob had sentimental value so the guy went and got it, and now it's on the front seat of his new car so he can have a piece of his old car in his new one.

So, he put the knob in his pocket, got in the car, and then removed the knob and put it on the seat. That's the odd part.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

So, he put the knob in his pocket, got in the car, and then removed the knob and put it on the seat. That's the odd part.

Depending on how tight his pants were driving around with a shifter knob in your pocket could be very distracting. I don't think he would want to total his car again.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

You Are A Elf posted:

lovely car commercial etiquette dictates that you should have glanced wistfully at an old picture you had in the glovebox, then taken it to a repair shop, written them a blank check, and said "fix it."

Mozi posted:

I dunno, if I were to buy a new car I'd probably grab a Consumer Reports and see what they had to say. Just because I'm aware that there's something called "Infiniti" or whatever doesn't mean I'll just drive up to my local Infiniti joint.

There are people that will go to the movie theater and just pick something that's playing with no prior thought into their decision. It comes as absolutely no surprise to me that there would be people that put the same amount of thought into buying an automobile. I mean, you never see the actual amount that a car costs on the commercial, just how much it costs to lease one, despite the fact that there are very, very few reasons to pay for a car you will not own. I'm willing to bet that they get a reasonable amount of suckers to do it anyway, though.

edit: Like this comedy classic right here

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 11, 2011

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Or if your car is like my Caviler and you have to pull up a little collar bellow the shifter to put it into reverse you can not even replace them. I have the old knob my uncle gave me from his first mustang and I really wanted to put it on there.

MoonTuna
Feb 11, 2011

by angerbot
This poo poo has been on like every other commercial break in cable channels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGNEuu4PJRU

Do people actually buy this tacky crap?

It is one of those gold plated brass coins things with "9/11" on it. There is like 3 of these things now.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I remember the coin that was supposedly made out of gold and silver recovered from ground zero, as if the company was sifting through the wreckage to find people's valuables to melt down.

The Collector
Aug 9, 2011

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Rats raining down in the night during the Stanley Cup finals.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Pillbug
I don't know if anyone else has seen this ad. It's for a car and it involves some old guy picking up an old lady at her house, and then when they get in the car they turn back into their 20 year old selves and drive away. There is something about the son in the commercial that is unsettling. He's like 40-50 years old but he acts like a little kid and he's dressed like a college intern. I feel like it would be a good commercial if you got rid of the creepy son.

has anyone else seen this commercial?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

I remember the coin that was supposedly made out of gold and silver recovered from ground zero, as if the company was sifting through the wreckage to find people's valuables to melt down.

Its not that, there was a vault under the WTC that had a bunch of silver in it. Although that's besides the point as the company got in trouble for the fact that no, they weren't using that either.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Notgothic posted:

So, this Cheerios commercial. I guess I don't hate it as much as I hate its overuse, but my brain kind of seizes up every time because it can't tell if it's seeing a three year old or an obnoxious midget hipster.

Is this just an old commercial or did they reuse the "that's for babies" but with a different kid? I swear this commercial was in heavy rotation awhile (like 4 years) ago, but I remember the kid being different.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Collector posted:

I don't know if anyone else has seen this ad. It's for a car and it involves some old guy picking up an old lady at her house, and then when they get in the car they turn back into their 20 year old selves and drive away. There is something about the son in the commercial that is unsettling. He's like 40-50 years old but he acts like a little kid and he's dressed like a college intern. I feel like it would be a good commercial if you got rid of the creepy son.

has anyone else seen this commercial?

Yeah, Chevy has been doing a few of these now. I think that was for the Camero.

E: Holy poo poo Nissan you couldn't make this new Leaf commercial more pretentious if you loving tried. If you want to make fun of the Volt, just show their sales figures being laughed at.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 12, 2011

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I want both the girls in the Kellogs Fiber One commercial to get raped to death.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

On apparently every station around here there are two sets of double State Farm ads with the stupid jingle played by some guy with a guitar in various ways, with various lyrics. Since each individual one lasts 15 seconds and SF buys 30 seconds of airtime, they are played BACK TO BACK whenever they come on. Constantly. So after the first two come on (back to back), I know I'm going to hear the second two in the next commercial break. Without fail.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Cup of Hemlock posted:

On apparently every station around here there are two sets of double State Farm ads with the stupid jingle played by some guy with a guitar in various ways, with various lyrics. Since each individual one lasts 15 seconds and SF buys 30 seconds of airtime, they are played BACK TO BACK whenever they come on. Constantly. So after the first two come on (back to back), I know I'm going to hear the second two in the next commercial break. Without fail.

That one drives me nuts, They play it a few times an hour on the AM station I listen to here in Seattle (1090).

Also, the Heritage For The Blind jingle- "Call 1-800 DONATE CARS, 1-800 DONATE CARS today!" It's like a worm eating my brain.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
To go in the opposite direction, I must say that I loving love Lenny Clark's Weight Watchers commercial.

"Stay alive just for REVENGE!"

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
This might just seem kinda rude, but personally the specially made 9/11 commercials Verizon and Budweiser made kinda piss me off. Both piss me off in a "OOH LOOK STATUE OF LIBERTY WE'LL NEVER FORGET TEARJERKER CRY NOW." way. The Verizon one irritates me due to its sheer length and just being pictures of a few kids (With token black kid but no asian kid, nice diversity guys.) and the statue of liberty in 5 or 6 different camera angles. Hell if it weren't for the message at the end I could've sworn it was a Visit New York type advert.

The Budweiser one because they clearly just slapped a picture of the Statue of Liberty (Which apparently is the symbol of Remember 9/11 now.) at the end and filmed the horses laying down trying to say "OH LOOK THESE HORSES REMEMBERED 9/11 SEE THEY'RE SAD CRY TOO" I mean, other than the final bit its just a normal Bud Commercial, real loving classy. They'll never forget but they'll try and get you to forget by buying their lovely beer.

Now let me straighten this out, I have no problem with remembering 9/11, it was a tragedy, but this bullshit where big companies pander to this crowd with their TearJerker ads is loving horseshit. A moment of silence is all anybody really needs, we don't need specially made adverts to loving reiterate the point over and over during the course of the day.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Does anyone else find the Puffs Plus ads annoying as hell?

I don't want to think about some kid blowing through his snotty tissue; they've been using the same campaign for years now; the stupid rhyming stories they use are awkwardly written and they keep jamming more and more adjectives into their name. It used to just be "Puffs Plus", but now its "Puffs Plus with Moisturizer and Shea Lotion" or some crap.

Cyril Sneer fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 12, 2011

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

RMZXAnarchy posted:

The Budweiser one because they clearly just slapped a picture of the Statue of Liberty (Which apparently is the symbol of Remember 9/11 now.) at the end and filmed the horses laying down trying to say "OH LOOK THESE HORSES REMEMBERED 9/11 SEE THEY'RE SAD CRY TOO" I mean, other than the final bit its just a normal Bud Commercial, real loving classy. They'll never forget but they'll try and get you to forget by buying their lovely beer.

Now let me straighten this out, I have no problem with remembering 9/11, it was a tragedy, but this bullshit where big companies pander to this crowd with their TearJerker ads is loving horseshit. A moment of silence is all anybody really needs, we don't need specially made adverts to loving reiterate the point over and over during the course of the day.

The Budweiser one is actually the one they shot in response to the attacks back in 2001, but this time they've added the under-construction Freedom Tower to the skyline whereas in the original there was just, well, a big empty spot.

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery
The Budweiser one was also only aired once prior to yesterday. That one time was during the Superbowl in 2002.

(I didn't see it yesterday but am assuming from the conversation that it re-aired)

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

I hate the Truvia ads that were carpetbombed on Food Network for a while.

Also, I think it's kind of weird to be this anxious about splitting a tiny dessert.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Just saw that Kia Soul commercial. Whatever drugs these people are on, I want some. :stare: That's some potent poo poo.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

For the Swedish goons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSeajBgBtvY

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Just saw that Kia Soul commercial. Whatever drugs these people are on, I want some. :stare: That's some potent poo poo.

The funniest part is that they're trying to meme it up with the hamsters, but if you haven't seen the first ad (with the 'normal' hamsters in their wheels etc), the joke kind of disappears and with that out of the equation, it's indisinguishable from a Jamster commercial.

Yep, got me some breakdancing hamsters here. Let's put a song that didn't even chart until four weeks ago as the music! That'll attract the kids.

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

RMZXAnarchy posted:

This might just seem kinda rude, but personally the specially made 9/11 commercials Verizon and Budweiser made kinda piss me off. Both piss me off in a "OOH LOOK STATUE OF LIBERTY WE'LL NEVER FORGET TEARJERKER CRY NOW." way. The Verizon one irritates me due to its sheer length and just being pictures of a few kids (With token black kid but no asian kid, nice diversity guys.) and the statue of liberty in 5 or 6 different camera angles. Hell if it weren't for the message at the end I could've sworn it was a Visit New York type advert.
The Verizon one is awful. It's really loving bizarre how the commercial deifies the statue of liberty. People don't seem to care that equating patriotism with religion isn't really a good idea.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Speaking of New York, they've started showing that Tri-State Ford dealer "Derek Jeter's got an edge" commercial again in my area (the one where multiple people say "Derek Jeter? He's got an edge!" before cutting to Jeter in a Ford). However, now they show it on every station that I watch in addition to showing it between innings during Yankee games. They stopped showing it for about a month, but that was the calm before the storm.

fariz
Nov 10, 2009

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Mozi posted:

Do you think most commercials appeal to intelligent people who read? Or people who are dumb and think the Bar Exam is a funny thing?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
No.. they CAN'T exist... it's just too horrible :negative:

aquatic sideshow
Nov 21, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
There's probably one or two people like that, but for the most part I think commercials are targeted at a demographic that exists only in the heads of marketers and executives.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Public Enema posted:

For the Swedish goons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSeajBgBtvY

What the gently caress kind of currency is a ":-"?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anyone seen this Geico commercial?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zKE9_WKRy4

Every single thing about it is incredibly off-putting, ugh.

e: \/\/\/\/ nah, I liked the robot commercial

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 14, 2011

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Moon Monster posted:

I thought it was funny.

I don't suppose you are this beautiful commenter:

quote:

I think that Geico is heading in the wrong direction. They have had a long history of great commercials but this new tough economic times way of advertising doesn't show them nor their target audience in a good light at all. Even though the commercials may be appealing to children and a very few adults, I think that the general public would be offended. I believe that the commercials would deter potential clients, rather than persuade them to purchase insurance with the company.

The robot commercial is another Geico failure to pull in customers. Spraying juice in a little girls face and then terrorizing a little boy, while portraying the general public as a people who would put their children in harms way to save a buck. The commercial only goes to show that Geico's new path is to insult the general public as idiots or morons, while putting children in harms way for the all mighty dollar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The Moon Monster posted:

It's not this commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F_G2zp-opg&feature=player_detailpage#t=10s