Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

HAL9100 posted:

I was dumb enough to try it so someone else might be too..

online-mode=false

Oh! :ohdear: Damnit, sorry about that. That was posted in haste while trying to solve an issue on the server. Never, ever, for the love of all that is holy, die once you have more than three levels. Oh god the lag. . . :suicide:

Hadlock posted:

Alternately you could push a grassy block down a 1x1 shaft where you need it to go with a single piston.

:psyboom: What. . .that. . .no wait. . .what. . .that's amazing, and I feel stupid as hell for not realizing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

Hadlock posted:

You can cut wild/tall grass with shears.

Finding out you could do this with tree leaves in vanilla minecraft was a mindfuck.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

MikeJF posted:

They really should have postponed it a few weeks.
No, I'd much rather have what we have now than not have it.

Hadlock posted:

You can cut wild/tall grass with shears. Dunno if that would work or not. Alternately you could push a grassy block down a 1x1 shaft where you need it to go with a single piston.
Holy crap you CAN cut tall grass with shears, and then re-place it elsewhere!
...but I don't know why, as it doesn't spread regular grass in this way. It's just tall grass on bare dirt.
Also, it doesn't have a tooltip/name in your inventory.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

HAL9100 posted:

Finding out you could do this with tree leaves in vanilla minecraft was a mindfuck.

Speaking of, leaves that are user-placed no longer decay automatically.

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

Clockwork-Ringtail posted:

I like the kudzu-like spreading of vines on ceilings and surfaces :smith:

I agree. The only other thing that spreads in minecraft is grass and people work hard for that to happen. There needs to be something else that's dynamic and irritating and I like the idea of having to fight off vines crawling up the side of your house.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Clockwork-Ringtail posted:

I like the kudzu-like spreading of vines on ceilings and surfaces :smith:

Maybe if you could place them on the bottom of blocks, but they did not spread there naturally?

That might help keep things in check. I planted some inside my little house. Big mistake.

They will cover every last bit of a tree including under the canopy and trunk.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Seed: 55378008 (Put it in a calculator and turn it upside-down. That old gag.)

You start near a precarious underground cave full of sandstone holding up huge mounds of sand, so you need to be careful where you dig. Exploring more I found a nice sized fissure in the earth. There's a desert area with a lot of cacti. Off the main continent are a couple of cool smallish islands with giant mountains, one of which had an opening obscured by gravel. So I went in. These pics are below the massive abandoned mine that was half covered in gravel, half hanging in the air.

This is looking straight up from my position: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Stokes79/screenshot/540653236895063876/

Behind me: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Stokes79/screenshot/540653236895058668/

I didn't make it out alive, but drat was it fun.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
suavebaby is a good island seed. Small island, with a few flowers, some reeds, just one tree, and some nearby clay deposits. Great way to get started.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
Vines are the new above-ground version of mushrooms.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

qxan posted:

I hate to ask but... seed?

It's the same ocean seed that been repeatedly posted in here.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Anyone else having sound issues with the 1.8 pre? Like, I can hear sheep and cows, but nothing else.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Orv posted:

:psyboom: What. . .that. . .no wait. . .what. . .that's amazing, and I feel stupid as hell for not realizing that.

If it makes you feel any better, I haven't seen that posted anywhere else until just now, either. I'm not even sure if it works, or if it converts the block back in to a regular dirt block. But maybe!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Orv posted:

Never, ever, for the love of all that is holy, die once you have more than three levels. Oh god the lag. . . :suicide:

The sort-of workaround for this is to make a little lava pit with a chest next to it, throw all your stuff in the chest and kill yourself occasionally. The lava will destroy the XP orbs and save your server from painful death. Hopefully there's a real fix soon.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Hadlock posted:

Ah, thanks for doing this! I figured it would work, but after XX hours developing "new spawn" in the nether, it's good to see confirmation that this does indeed work!

I used the Equivalent Exchange mod to facilitate digging the long tunnel, since digging a 3x3x1000 tunnel by hand would be a fantastic pain in the rear end. (I still had to light it, lay track, and space out the redstone torches / powered rail, but that was easier.) Here's another thing I found at the other end:

A naturally-occurring mountain that looks like an AT-AT.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but window panes form corners. Thanks to this, I tweaked someone's sconce design from earlier in the thread to make a large stone "lantern":

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

m2pt5 posted:

I used the Equivalent Exchange mod to facilitate digging the long tunnel, since digging a 3x3x1000 tunnel by hand would be a fantastic pain in the rear end. (I still had to light it, lay track, and space out the redstone torches / powered rail, but that was easier.)

Ours is currently a 1x3 for 90% of the length which split in to East/West tracks at either end, although bridges and whatnot are 3x3 in case of future expansion. And yes, it took quite a while :) Diamond pick against netherrack goes pretty quick, at least. You can enable creative mode for individual players on the fly in 1.8 SMP which is a god-send, since blocks break instantly, so upgrading to a 3x3 would be pretty quick I suspect.

I'll have to check out Equivalent Exchange mod. We have some pretty extensive subways, and I was thinking of some sort of auto hot key script to mine out 3x3 subways, but then you still run in to subterranean lakes, gravel, etc. (and now, ravines!). Speeding this up for the new section of the map would be fantastic.

What server do you play on?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Seeds should still generate identical nethers, right?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
So I've discovered the greatest glitch, infinite buckets of milk!

Every time I move something in my inventory a milk bucket takes it place, and there are dozens of them spread all over the floor.

Currently filling large chests with milk buckets. :D

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Hadlock posted:

What server do you play on?

I don't play on any server at the moment, all the stuff I've made is in single player. (Also I don't think EE works in SMP yet.) I'd probably be more interested in joining a server that's just starting up than one that's established; I've visited a couple, and all I manage to do is get lost amongst the existing structures or blown up by creepers.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

wyoming posted:

So I've discovered the greatest glitch, infinite buckets of milk!

Every time I move something in my inventory a milk bucket takes it place, and there are dozens of them spread all over the floor.

Currently filling large chests with milk buckets. :D

That's not milk, minecraftguy is just very lonely.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

Stokes posted:

Seed: 55378008 (Put it in a calculator and turn it upside-down. That old gag.)

Boobless? Isn't 5318008 more traditional?

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
When 1.8 hits I will be having a fresh no mods, only legit server. Can't wait :)

Gooch
Oct 30, 2006

Ha the Enderman even take leaf blocks and set them on the ground. I love these guys.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I pulled in my old world into the leak and man, lighting is buggier than I realised.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Gooch posted:

Ha the Enderman even take leaf blocks and set them on the ground. I love these guys.

They're great! Seriously the range that they feel you looking at them is insane! I was almost 70? 80 blocks away maybe. Thought what the hell, pointed my cross airs right at him..BAM! He teleports to within 5 meters of me! Scared the poo poo out of me. I thought there was a limit to how far they could teleport?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Arkitektbmw posted:

They're great! Seriously the range that they feel you looking at them is insane! I was almost 70? 80 blocks away maybe. Thought what the hell, pointed my cross airs right at him..BAM! He teleports to within 5 meters of me! Scared the poo poo out of me. I thought there was a limit to how far they could teleport?

They don't seem to like teleporting to you if there's a large body of water between you. I stood outside my home and stared one down across the river, and he just stood there and jittered.

EDIT: Although I just read this in the Minecraft Wiki:

quote:

"Having an Ender pearl in your inventory will reduce their maximum range to the half, and you will therefore be able to get a closer look."

So maybe I had an Ender Pearl on me and he was far enough away that there was nothing he could do?

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 12, 2011

Clockwork-Ringtail
Feb 28, 2007

The Sparky Madgirl
They also don't like severe height differences. I can stand on top of my mushroom house and stare them down while they jitter around pressed against the walls just out of reach.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Wingless posted:

8 and 3 make capital Bs and Es, but 1 makes a lowercase L. Unacceptable. :colbert:

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
I thought I read somewhere that Endermen, once activated, would only teleport while you weren't looking. Shame that's not the case, it seems cooler somehow.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Walrus Pete posted:

8 and 3 make capital Bs and Es, but 1 makes a lowercase L. Unacceptable. :colbert:

No silly, it's boobies

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
I've played Minecraft for hundreds of hours and I've still never seen a slime. :(

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Wow, I haven't played since 1.6 and hadn't read much about 1.8 other than world generation has been improved. Jumped in tonight for a mess around and ran into what I now know was an enderman which scared the crap out of me. Also figured out I could sprint so I was sprinting away from it the whole night, I didn't seem to be getting away from it (didn't realize they teleport) so it was pretty intense.

Then I found an enormous abandoned mine, got myself nearly 2 stacks of mine cart tracks and a ton of iron, plus a couple of diamonds I found in a chest and a record I got when a skeleton finished off a creeper I was attacking.

Minecraft owns.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

Gnack posted:

I thought I read somewhere that Endermen, once activated, would only teleport while you weren't looking. Shame that's not the case, it seems cooler somehow.

There is a pretty horrifying creature held at the SCP Foundation that functions a lot like this. It is large, bulky and vaguely humanoid, it is kept in a sealed room and cannot do any harm as long as someone is constantly staring at it. The instant someone isn't looking at it it will bolt across the intervening space with impossible speed and snap the neck of the nearest person.

I can't remember what number though, sorry.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Wingless posted:

There is a pretty horrifying creature held at the SCP Foundation that functions a lot like this. It is large, bulky and vaguely humanoid, it is kept in a sealed room and cannot do any harm as long as someone is constantly staring at it. The instant someone isn't looking at it it will bolt across the intervening space with impossible speed and snap the neck of the nearest person.

SCP-173
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-173

video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBLIAasOfxk

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-173 is easily countered by http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-131

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wingless posted:

Its the Ghetto Weeping Angel, 173.

I've always found small to medium sized tri-veins, or, some precious ore, some precious ore and coal all touching, but I seem to be a finding a lot more of them lately.

Also, the fact that light is now eaten underground at a certain distance, regardless of torch interval, makes the underground both a lot more atmospheric and a lot more :tinfoil:.

E: V - All godsdamned three of us. :unsmith:

Orv fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Sep 12, 2011

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Wingless posted:

This is SCP-173.

e: gently caress you guys are fast.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

This stuff is great fun.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Countdown to people wanting 682 as a mob...

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Wingless posted:

When this was in vogue on all the cool dweebs calculators (ie: when we were 12) it was more fun to call girls boobless then to just say boobies! since we had no idea what to do with them anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Hadlock posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I haven't seen that posted anywhere else until just now, either. I'm not even sure if it works, or if it converts the block back in to a regular dirt block. But maybe!

It works. Putting glass on top of the grass block does not harm the grass. Push away!