Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Berserkerduck
Sep 5, 2011

by T. Finn

DJ Commie posted:

Yeah, its a roller. There's an engine with a good bottom end on eBay and I found the headgasket part number and some places can get it so hodgepodge engine it is.

Wouldn't it be easier to find a D16Y8 engine? Should fit without too much trouble, and 120+ Hp would be fun in that car. There's also the MC engine options, but the lack of reverse gear would probably be a challenge.

You probably already have this, but anyway: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B-Rk2-5wop_INGQ3ODc3YzItZDgxZC00MDRlLWE0NTQtNmFlN2VmYjcyY2Ix&hl=en_US

Berserkerduck fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
One more for the horrible brake disc album:

Not my photo, one of my friends manages an O'Reilly Auto Parts store.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

How about impending horrible mechanical failures?

I drove my truck around all week with 2 quarts of really burnt 20W-50, 2 quarts of SAE30 compressor oil, and a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil.

I'm going to flush it and put good oil in it tomorrow, but I'm all but convinced the 302 is invincible (mostly because I drove it for a few hundred miles with just the 2 quarts of 20W-50 in it).

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

PhotoKirk posted:

Not my photo, one of my friends manages an O'Reilly Auto Parts store.

I used to work at AutoZone where they have a pretty decent exchange policy on warrantied items. The Gold line of brake pads is one (brake pads for life!). I had a customer come in and ask about the warranty on pads and if it covered non standard damage. We didn't care so long as I had a pad of some sort to return. He thanks me and leaves. 2 hours later he returns with two horrifically mangled rotors with the pad backing plates fused to the internal venting veins (the rotor surface was long gone). I told him his calipers and associated equipment were probably trashed as well. He agreed but had the caliper equipment all warrantied at Checker. I gave him his replacement pads free of charge and he left. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the backing plates off the rotor so I ended up shipping the whole loving thing back to corporate.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Shroomie posted:

I drove my truck around all week with 2 quarts of really burnt 20W-50, 2 quarts of SAE30 compressor oil, and a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil.

I'm going to flush it and put good oil in it tomorrow, but I'm all but convinced the 302 is invincible (mostly because I drove it for a few hundred miles with just the 2 quarts of 20W-50 in it).

Yes, they are. We took a 130k+ mile one, strapped on a supercharger running 8psi, and ran it at the track. It was pushing so much oil out of every nook and cranny after a few summers, but still ran fine.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Berserkerduck posted:

Wouldn't it be easier to find a D16Y8 engine? Should fit without too much trouble, and 120+ Hp would be fun in that car. There's also the MC engine options, but the lack of reverse gear would probably be a challenge.

You probably already have this, but anyway: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B-Rk2-5wop_INGQ3ODc3YzItZDgxZC00MDRlLWE0NTQtNmFlN2VmYjcyY2Ix&hl=en_US

I could probably find a better engine than a econobox Honda unit. That and it probably wouldn't fit, since the crankcase and gearbox are a singular unit with the original. That and its pretty much a Kei car in dimensions.

I'm pretty sure you could almost park this Honda inside any 90s Civic.

edit: If anything I'd put another motorcycle engine in, definitely fuel injected and probably Honda. The G10 turbo Chevrolet Sprint motor is too heavy and hard to find, also still likely too large.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 12, 2011

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I have a brakes question, since they seem to be flavour of the month here:

My discs are warped, but as they' re only a few months old I'm reluctant to replace them. No one around here skims discs anymore, is there anything I can do in normal driving to remedy the vibration? Is the warping harming my breaking power significantly?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Warped discs are a myth.

Bed your pads properly and the problem will be fixed.

E:

From 60mph, gently apply the brakes a couple of times to bring them up to operating temperature. This prevents you from thermally shocking the rotors and pads in the next steps.

Make eight to ten near-stops from 60mph to about 10-15 mph. Do it HARD by pressing the brakes firmly, but do not lock the wheels or engage ABS. At the end of each slowdown, immediately accelerate back to 60mph and then apply the brakes again. DO NOT COME TO A COMPLETE STOP! If you stop completely and sit with your foot on the brake pedal, you will imprint pad material onto the hot rotors, which could lead to vibration and uneven braking.

The brakes may begin to fade after the 7th or 8th near-stop. This fade will stabilize, but not completely go away until the brakes have fully cooled. A strong smell from the brakes, and even some smoke, is normal.

After the last near-stop, accelerate back up to speed and cruise for a while, using the brakes as little as possible. The brakes need only a few minutes to cool down. Try not to become trapped in traffic or come to a complete stop while the brakes are still very hot.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

thelightguy posted:

Warped discs are a myth.

Did you intend for several of those to be the exact same article reposted on different websites?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Nope. :doh: The stoptech article still deserves to be repeated twice though.

Vibration is caused by improperly bedded brakes.

corgski fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 12, 2011

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Thanks for that, I didn't follow any bed in procedure when they were replaced like 6 months ago but the vibration only showed up after I e-stopped for an accident. I'll try to find this mythical straight road I can 1-60-1 repeatedly on without causing an accident.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Parking lot late at night or industrial area on a weekend are what I used for my motorcycle brakes.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Any rural interstate. :eng101:

Or any industrial road like henne said.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Cakefool posted:

Thanks for that, I didn't follow any bed in procedure when they were replaced like 6 months ago but the vibration only showed up after I e-stopped for an accident. I'll try to find this mythical straight road I can 1-60-1 repeatedly on without causing an accident.

Unless you've got a 3-cyl Geo, 15-60-15 (don't drop too low and stop accidentally) can be done in a standard wal*mart parking lot after they close (if you've got a non-24 hour one) or anything of that size.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Massive diesel volvo wagon, 15-60-15 might take a bit more distance than you think. Also, all our big supermarkets are 24hrs & the police might arrest me for 'cruising-

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
I got stopped by the police when I was doing it and just told em what I was doing. If they said the lot speed limit was 15 but unless the signs are to spec they're unenforceable. And I can't imagine getting hassled too hard if you are doing safety related stuff when no one else is there.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

DJ Commie posted:

edit: If anything I'd put another motorcycle engine in, definitely fuel injected and probably Honda. The G10 turbo Chevrolet Sprint motor is too heavy and hard to find, also still likely too large.

Voting CBR1100XX Super Blackbird engine, 140hp should make that little car hustle along pretty well. Alternately a 929 or 954 engine if you can find them would give you 150hp.

EDIT: vvvv Very true, but keeping it Honda-powered would be really cool.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Sep 12, 2011

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KozmoNaut posted:

Voting CBR1100XX Super Blackbird engine, 140hp should make that little car hustle along pretty well. Alternately a 929 or 954 engine if you can find them would give you 150hp.

I'd go 'Busa myself. It's the kit-car-bike-engine of choice, and you can hack and re-program/re-map the standard ECU, unlike a Blackbird motor.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

thelightguy posted:

Warped discs are a myth.

Holy poo poo I never knew this. :aaa:

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

thelightguy posted:

Nope. :doh: The stoptech article still deserves to be repeated twice though.

Vibration is caused by improperly bedded brakes.

Or poo poo rotors that don't wear evenly.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Judging by this only occurring after an e-stop followed by remaining stationary on the brakes, I'm hoping I've just laid pad material onto the discs.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Just use the nearest A-road at two in the morning. Or the motorway if it's quiet.

Cakefool posted:

Massive diesel volvo wagon, 15-60-15 might take a bit more distance than you think. Also, all our big supermarkets are 24hrs & the police might arrest me for 'cruising-
In a Volvo Estate, it'd probably be the other cruising.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I'd go 'Busa myself. It's the kit-car-bike-engine of choice, and you can hack and re-program/re-map the standard ECU, unlike a Blackbird motor.

Because you don't need to, the blackbird was carbed. :v:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
So I can have a kei car that runs 15s with 5sec 60fts and get 20mpg?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

/\/\/\ I see no problem with this.

BlackMK4 posted:

Not since 1999, it wasn't.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Only the first year was carbed, according to Wikipedia. If you can't mod the stock ECU on the XX, you can certainly replace it completely with microsquirt or whatever. Very durable engine which can be had for very little money in the form of a running, used bike.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Shroomie posted:

I've driven my Comanche around with 2 quarts in it also... run it out of oil on the highway dozens of times, it leaked like a sieve and I didn't have the time to fix it. Oil pressure remained fine with no bad noises.

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I had some pretty awesome mechanical failures... only have pics of Sunday right now, hoping my wheeling buddies will send me the others.

Friday: pulled over on i278 leaving NYC to help a stranded motorist, figured why not? I'm stuck in traffic anyways. When I went to leave after filling her radiator back up, it wouldn't start... and I discovered that the fuel line to the injector rail had popped off due to a crappy hose clamp. Glad I stopped because I would have made it another mile or two before it sprayed all over the hot exhaust manifold otherwise.

Saturday: went wheeling, blew up a passenger side dana 30 stub shaft which mangled the inner shaft and as a bonus, ripped my lower balljoint out of its socket and bent the stud in the upper balljoint about 20 degrees. Had to patch it back together well enough to limp it back to camp, where I pulled the balljoints out of an axle I had bought the week before that was still hanging out in the bed of the truck... this is why driving a Comanche rocks, you can carry a lot of spare parts.

Sunday:
This:

Led to this:

I was driving down the trail when the temp gauge started climbing. Tried racing the motor a little to get air flowing but it wasn't having any of it and quickly climbed off the top of the gauge. I stopped and opened the hood to find the upper radiator hose creaking ominously and twice its normal diameter... lowered the hood and ran, 5 seconds later it let loose and spewed superheated steam and coolant all over where I had just been standing. Fixed it up, threw a new thermostat and mechanical fan viscous clutch in it, and drove it home. Near as I can guess, the viscous clutch finally failed all the way, the thermostat overheated and stuck shut, and then the coolant hit boiling point and blew up the almost worn out radiator hose.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

kastein posted:

lowered the hood and ran, 5 seconds later it let loose and spewed superheated steam and coolant all over where I had just been standing.

"Lowered", or dropped and ran? I can picture that... "Holy shi..." drop the hood and run like an SOB.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Fermunky posted:

"Lowered", or dropped and ran? I can picture that... "Holy shi..." drop the hood and run like an SOB.

lowered. I have balls of steel :colbert:

my thinking was that I wanted most of the water to be deflected forward instead of going all over the top of the motor. My friends in the jeep in front of me said they got concerned because "that's not a normal Ken face... oh poo poo! it blew up"

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

kastein posted:

I've driven my Comanche around with 2 quarts in it also... run it out of oil on the highway dozens of times, it leaked like a sieve and I didn't have the time to fix it. Oil pressure remained fine with no bad noises.

The problem is, I never really know what my oil pressure is because Ford decided that isn't important information. The sensor is just a switch switch that puts the gauge dead-center if it's over 5PSI.

There's a way to convert it to a real gauge with an older sending unit and a resistor or something, but I've never gotten around to doing it.

Shroomie fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 12, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Berserkerduck posted:

FREE BLASTER OF JUSTICE!!!

Exploding Alpha flywheel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wazZTont8v8

I don't know what it is but the more I watch it, the harder I laugh.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Alpha

:stare:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I just went "HOLY poo poo" out loud and I was expecting it!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Is there any retribution to poo poo like that? Such as: Your flywheel exploded at 6'000rpm and almost killed me and tore up a considerable amount of my car, and I have it on video that it was only at 6,000rpm.

Please pay me money.

timma85
Feb 13, 2006
This is more like it. Clutch blows up. Fire, Sparks, Smoke! It's got everything for a proper explosion.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

edit:
Mercedes-Benz SLS GT3 - KRK Racing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brecht-decancq/6130935098/in/photostream

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 13, 2011

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

timma85 posted:

This is more like it. Clutch blows up. Fire, Sparks, Smoke! It's got everything for a proper explosion.

Jesus christ. I've often wondered what that would look like if it happened to a dragster. Now I know.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Hydrolocked VQ37VHR block from a Nissan 370Z

It was a lot more apparent in person than in the pics, but that left piston is a kinda crooked

Ok after some malleting, we got the piston out

Bonus rusty gross cylinder

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

FREE BLASTER OF JUSTICE!!!

which have bad rear donut

Gee: ya think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

peepsalot posted:

Bonus rusty gross cylinder

Did they leave it for a month or some poo poo?