Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dickbutt Ouroboros
Nov 13, 2002

handbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Not necessarily industrial, but I was driving through Portland today and saw Atari Teenage Riot listed at a venue. Looked it up trying to find tickets and found out that I missed this lineup by 6 days:

Atari Teenage Riot
Otto Von Schirach
Rabbit Junk
blowupnihilist

FUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!! I've wanted to see ATR for soooo long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

What are considered some 'classic' industrial albums? I mean like, albums where every single track rules. I listen to a fair bit of electroindustrial stuff, but I don't think I can name a single album that doesn't have bad tracks on it. Maybe Tactical Neural Implant, maaaybe. It seems to be a genre where every album has two sweet songs and a bunch of poo poo on it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Dos Dedos Mis Amigos by PWEI

The Process by Skinny Puppy :colbert:

P.M.F.
May 6, 2007

Do as I say, not as I do.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

What are considered some 'classic' industrial albums? I mean like, albums where every single track rules.

KMFDM stuff that's on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/artist/KMFDM?feature=watch_metadata

Look under 1995. If you like what you hear pick the album "NIHIL".

KimJongUnstoppable
Sep 18, 2010

Juche Lyfe 4 Ever!

teethgrinder posted:

The Process by Skinny Puppy :colbert:

This was hands down my favorite album as a teenager and will always be one of my favorites for that reason.

If you can find it the Ringworm compilation was a great album, and I was a big fan of "Resist the Command" (although volume one was better than volume two, imho.) Ringworm was more noiseart styled industrial and RtC was more electroindustrial but all are good. Hard to find now, though, from what I remember.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

What are considered some 'classic' industrial albums?

Too Dark Park by Skinny Puppy, and once you've acclimated yourself to more abstract industrial, Last Rights.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I'd pick Too Dark Park or even Cleanse, Fold, and Manipulate over The Process as well, in terms of 'classic industrial.' In addition, I'd submit the following suspects for interrogation:

Ministry - The Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Taste ... The last proper album before they went butt metal with cookie monster vocals, this one features a who's who of golden-era Wax Trax and is absolutely worth hearing despite the unfortunate inclusion of the rap tastic failure that is "Test."

Nitzer Ebb - That Total Age ... this one has a die-hard dance floor stomper that potentially gets overplayed but the remainder of the album is an angry slab of western europe angst.

Front 242 - Front by Front ... again, though the album contains two obvious classic club anthems the deep cuts like "Work 01" and "Circling Overland" completely seal the deal for me.

COIL - Loves Secret Domain ... potentially more electronic oriented than the above, it's still an engrossing LP. COIL are extremely hit or miss for me, with a lot of their later stuff veering toward drugged up "magik meditation" wankery but this one I'd suggest simply for "The Snow."

Godflesh - Streetcleaner ... an ultra heavy slab of doom, and probably pushes the envelope for what gets qualified as "industrial" around here but an arguably classic record none the less.

Honestly, the idea of "Classic Album" for "Genre X" is horribly subjective for me. A fanatical Chemlab fan might offer up his favorite album for "classic album", and then someone else would just chime in and say it was derivative of KMFDM or NIN and that those guys should be included. I'd agree that Tactical Neural Implant is an absolute classic record, mainly because it's the only FLA album I really like. Whereas Sir Cat rear end might suggest his favorite, and that dude loves the band waaay more than me so has a solid working knowledge of their discography.

KimJongUnstoppable
Sep 18, 2010

Juche Lyfe 4 Ever!
I loved Too Dark Park, don't get me wrong. There's just something about The Process that's incredible, imho. I think it comes across as an incredibly emotional album, which would make sense considering everything that went down while it was in production. I stand by what I said.

If you've got a taste for noisier industrial there's 20 Jazz Funk Greats by Throbbing Gristle. That's still one of my favorite albums and the fact that none of my friends can tolerate it is a bonus.

I'll also say that Ende Neu by Einstürzende Neubauten is one of my favorite albums as well and has some really catchy tracks, like Was Ist Ist and The Garden.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

See, I was going to toss TG into the ring as well but I figured those early records would be more aligned with "pioneer of the genre" rather than a classic album in an pre-defined flavor of music.

20 Jazz Funk Greats I think is probably their most accessible thing, (if the concept can even exist in reference to Throbbing Gristle).

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

hatelull posted:

20 Jazz Funk Greats I think is probably their most accessible thing, (if the concept can even exist in reference to Throbbing Gristle).

I think Part Two: The Endless Not is their most accessible album by far. But it's not a 'classic' record.

KimJongUnstoppable
Sep 18, 2010

Juche Lyfe 4 Ever!
I picked 20 Jazz Funk Greats because it has the track Discipline on it (at least I think most copies now do), and that is hands down the only TG song I've seen non-hardcore noise fans get into.

Plus it's just a great song in general, so there's that.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

hatelull posted:

See, I was going to toss TG into the ring as well but I figured those early records would be more aligned with "pioneer of the genre" rather than a classic album in an pre-defined flavor of music.

Ah, and I was going to mentin Einsturzende Neubauten and Strategies Against Architecture. Also Mind: the Perpetual Intercourse is still on my playlist, decades (:smith:) later.

edit: also Lead into Gold's Faster than Light, which is just, like, guddamn.

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 12, 2011

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Throbbing Gristle have a bunch of stuff that's pleasant to listen to. "United" is basically a pop song.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

hatelull posted:

Front 242 - Front by Front ... again, though the album contains two obvious classic club anthems the deep cuts like "Work 01" and "Circling Overland" completely seal the deal for me.

For me, the first five Front 242 albums (Geography, No Comment, Official Version, Front by Front and Tyranny For You) - there's a lot of other albums by other bands that I like, but few that are as good the whole way through. I kept thinking of albums by other bands that were great, but then remember all the crap tracks I skip each time I listen to them.

On a rhythmic noise kinda slant, the quartet of Nord by Imminent Starvation, Blast Furnace by Converter, Remote Assault by Sonar, and Positive Pop by Synapscape (and arguably Drum'n'Noise by Winterkalte) Those, coming out 1999 to 2001 really seemed to kick the rhythmic noise labels into gear and there was a ton of great stuff released over the next few years on Ant-Zen, Hands and similar labels. The very late 90s were a great time to get into things. And while there may have been some duff tracks on their albums, it was awesome when Apop, VNV and Covenant really exploded alongside all the noisy stuff and it became impossible to ignore them with Welcome To Earth, Empires and United States of Mind.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

hatelull posted:

Honestly, the idea of "Classic Album" for "Genre X" is horribly subjective for me.

That's the thing. With most genres of music there will be a set of perfect albums that absolutely nobody can disagree on, and then after you've gone through all of those, individual tastes will start to differ. For example, with hip-hop you've got Illmatic/36 Chambers/Liquid Swordz. With black metal you've got Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk/A Blaze in the Northern Sky/Nemesis Divina/Hvis Lyset Tar Oss/Shadowthrone. For death metal you've got Deicide/None So Vile/Obscura/The first few Morbid Angel albums. You'll find two or three people who listen to different ares within the genre and disagree on just about everything else, but they'll all agree on those pillar albums.

It seems weird that industrial doesn't have that universal core that other styles have. But maybe it does and I'm about to find out after following all y'all suggestions. Thanks for those, by the way.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

That's the thing. With most genres of music there will be a set of perfect albums that absolutely nobody can disagree on, and then after you've gone through all of those, individual tastes will start to differ. For example, with hip-hop you've got Illmatic/36 Chambers/Liquid Swordz. With black metal you've got Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk/A Blaze in the Northern Sky/Nemesis Divina/Hvis Lyset Tar Oss/Shadowthrone. For death metal you've got Deicide/None So Vile/Obscura/The first few Morbid Angel albums. You'll find two or three people who listen to different ares within the genre and disagree on just about everything else, but they'll all agree on those pillar albums.

It seems weird that industrial doesn't have that universal core that other styles have. But maybe it does and I'm about to find out after following all y'all suggestions. Thanks for those, by the way.

Honestly after having the 'what is industrial music' conversation with far too many people over the last god knows how many years I think the Illmatic/36 Chambers/Liquid Swordz of industrial is Too Dark Park/The Downward Spiral/Tactical Neural Implant.

A lot of people love The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste, and Front By Front, and Solutions for a Small Planet (plus the crazed Neubauten / Coil fans), but people talk about TDP/TDS/TNI in a way they don't talk about any other albums.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I thought for a few minutes this morning while sipping coffee here at work about including The Downward Spiral. I remember when it came out, and it was very much one of those records that we just never stopped playing in the dorm rooms. However, he already has his own thread and it was possibly a more obvious choice than the other stuff I listed so I deferred. However, I absolutely agree with your assessment. For better or for worse, that album put a huge footprint in the genre.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

hatelull posted:

I thought for a few minutes this morning while sipping coffee here at work about including The Downward Spiral. I remember when it came out, and it was very much one of those records that we just never stopped playing in the dorm rooms. However, he already has his own thread and it was possibly a more obvious choice than the other stuff I listed so I deferred. However, I absolutely agree with your assessment. For better or for worse, that album put a huge footprint in the genre.

I was going to say this but hesitated for fear of being laughed out of the thread. When The Downward Spiral came out when I was in elementary school it completely changed my musical life and I've never looked back from industrial since.

I also agree that PWEI's Dos Dedos Mis Amigos is a intensely solid album. I must have listened to Everything's Cool like 600 times on repeat and driven my mom insane.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Coil's not industrial :colbert:

The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste
Front By Front
I-know-I'm-not-gonna-win-any-agreement-with-this-but... Music For a Slaughtering Tribe

KimJongUnstoppable
Sep 18, 2010

Juche Lyfe 4 Ever!

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

Music For a Slaughtering Tribe

Nothing wrong with wumpscut :colbert:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

I-know-I'm-not-gonna-win-any-agreement-with-this-but... Music For a Slaughtering Tribe

Wreath of Barbs has more mass appeal in the industrial realm, but I agree with you for what it's worth.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

zygotesix posted:

Nothing wrong with wumpscut :colbert:

They're good, but a lot of their art looks like supplements to role playing games.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
My initial introduction to industrial was Prodigy, mostly the tracks on the soundtrack for Hackers: Voodoo People and One Love. I also recall hearing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjTO0231nM0

It came with a free little collection of music that Apple used to give you with an early version of iTunes...like, on Mac OS 9, I think?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Bigod 20 fuckin' owns.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

boo_radley posted:

They're good, but a lot of their art looks like supplements to role playing games.

If you can't admit that you're a horrible nerd, you have no business listening to industrial music. :colbert:

KimJongUnstoppable
Sep 18, 2010

Juche Lyfe 4 Ever!

Powdered Toast Man posted:

My initial introduction to industrial was Prodigy, mostly the tracks on the soundtrack for Hackers: Voodoo People and One Love. I also recall hearing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjTO0231nM0

It came with a free little collection of music that Apple used to give you with an early version of iTunes...like, on Mac OS 9, I think?

Since when is The Prodigy industrial? I always considered them electronic. Like, dance music electronic, not that electronic-industrial hybrid stuff thats so popular today.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

zygotesix posted:

Since when is The Prodigy industrial? I always considered them electronic. Like, dance music electronic, not that electronic-industrial hybrid stuff thats so popular today.

Prodigy, like fellow electronic acts Lords of Acid and Fluke, had a brief renaissance in the industrial community.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Coil's not industrial :colbert:

And this is the problem with genre definitions, unless you were taking the piss. A lot of this thread talks about stuff like Covenant, VNV Nation, mind.in.a.box and a bunch of other synthy euro stuff that (to me) sounds like updated Depeche Mode remixed by edgy trance artists. Yeah, you can trace it back to what 242 was doing on their classic Wax Trax albums but still it's a huge leap. Given who was in COIL it's not a stretch for me to associate them (especially the earlier stuff) with this genre. Sure, they would eventually veer off into experimental territory but you still got "Anal Staircase" right?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

hatelull posted:

And this is the problem with genre definitions, unless you were taking the piss. A lot of this thread talks about stuff like Covenant, VNV Nation, mind.in.a.box and a bunch of other synthy euro stuff that (to me) sounds like updated Depeche Mode remixed by edgy trance artists. Yeah, you can trace it back to what 242 was doing on their classic Wax Trax albums but still it's a huge leap. Given who was in COIL it's not a stretch for me to associate them (especially the earlier stuff) with this genre. Sure, they would eventually veer off into experimental territory but you still got "Anal Staircase" right?

Yeah. I didn't want to take the bait on that post, but if Coil wasn't industrial, then nothing (save Industrial Records) is.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

chime_on posted:

Throbbing Gristle have a bunch of stuff that's pleasant to listen to. "United" is basically a pop song.

Hot On The Heels of Love is an electro track of theirs that's definitely closer to pop than scary noise. Sounds like an Anne Clark track or similar.

Twiin posted:

Yeah. I didn't want to take the bait on that post, but if Coil wasn't industrial, then nothing (save Industrial Records) is.

Aside from "electro-industrial" or co-opting just plain "industrial", there isn't really a good term that covers the gamut from TG to 242 to VNV to Combichrist to Winterkalte. Except I kind of prefer to use fairly broad generic terms otherwise you end up in a mess of micro-genres made up by one guy to refer to a couple of specific bands and most of the endless and intricate subgenre names sound dorky anyway.

I can kind of see the point of the way some people used to ostentatiously refer to everything after Industrial Records as post-industrial. That one does actually make sense, since pretty much all the various types of bands that get referred to as industrial these days do a debt of inspiration (often second or third or fourth hand, admittedly) to TG and related projects.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I only listen to spacepop. You've probably never heard of it. :smug:

The only early Puppy album I've listened to is Mind, so I guess I need to catch up. Also I think Headhunter is the only 242 song I know.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Aside from "electro-industrial" or co-opting just plain "industrial", there isn't really a good term that covers the gamut from TG to 242 to VNV to Combichrist to Winterkalte.

Well, I see 'industrial' as a macro-genre, in the same way that 'rock' has been used to describe everyone from Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis to Alice Cooper, Pink Floyd and Run DMC.

They're all arguably 'rock' acts (and I would bet a dollar they're all in the rock hall of fame), but it's too large of a genre to talk about without breaking it into smaller sized genres.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Coil's not industrial, Coil is the ritual accumulation of male sexual energy.

Doubly not-industrial if you're trying to except 'all that weird magicky poo poo' :psyduck: That's fuckin' Coil dude!

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Tangential, but not industrial-related: Coil loving owns. :smug:

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH

chime_on posted:

The gristleism is a pretty clever and fun toy.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Coil's not industrial, Coil is the ritual accumulation of male sexual energy.

Admittedly, this actually made me giggle. Even more so if you double back and presume that industrial (which, aside from the fair pale maiden in a corset doing tai-chi to a Delerium/Sisters of Mercy track is mostly a sausage fest chick from KMFDM not withstanding) is the ritual accumulation of male sexual energy is COIL.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Is it likely that Coil's older stuff will ever be rereleased? I really want to get some of those early albums but don't really relish paying upwards of fifty quid for a second hand copy...

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I've seen that subject come up a few times now. I'm not sure what the status is, now that both of the founding members are deceased. I would hope that a label would just start doing some re-mastering/re-releasing on the quick but I've seen nothing happening on that front. You can still absolutely get the entire discography (of which there's a fuckton) via :filez:, but it's potentially unfair to screw Threshold House out of their money hats.

update: Threshold House predictably has nothing on any plans to re-release the stuff. However, they did post a spectacularly creepy video for "Love's Secret Domain" apparently filmed in Bangkok and featuring lots of ... young boys.

http://www.thresholdhouse.com/2011/09/01/loves-secret-domain/

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Right now there's the issue of who would actually be getting paid for any potential coil record since they're both dead and the stuff was almost all self-released.

Thresholdhouse is pretty much just the dude that mails packages without John and Sleazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Right now there's the issue of who would actually be getting paid for any potential coil record since they're both dead and the stuff was almost all self-released.

I suspect the rights likely belong to Chris and Cosey now.