Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

ozmunkeh posted:

Can you download the 180 day trial and stick it in a vm?

I did not know this was a thing. Unfortunately it looks like you need a Windows machine to run the VM (2k8 64-bit, in fact), which I do not have :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebmw
May 13, 2004
Bing

Plastic Jesus posted:

I did not know this was a thing. Unfortunately it looks like you need a Windows machine to run the VM (2k8 64-bit, in fact), which I do not have :(.

Can't you get a trial of that too?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

thebmw posted:

If not you have a pretty long grace period, if I remember correctly. Does MSDN cover server licenses? I'd consider looking at that or a TechNet subscription. I don't know the details of what you have to meet, but I'd imagine coding an application that uses Exchange would suffice.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster
MSDN covers pretty much everything. TechNet is a bit more restricted, but it does cover Windows Server and Exchange (if you have the TechNet Enterprise subscription). There is a trial of both Server and Exchange, so you can setup a test environment without any cost if you don't have MSDN or TechNet.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

thebmw posted:

Yup, you definitely can.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/trial-software.aspx

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Gunning to do my 2010 CAS cutover tomorrow night (co-existance with Exchange 2003).

I'll be leaving the legacy server in place for a month or two since there's a lot of large mailboxes I need to move over.

A few questions...

Can I move the OAB right now or should I wait until the CAS is cutover to be our external facing site?

I have a BES Express server in place hooked up to the old server. Do I need to worry about permissions or for tha tmatter, ANYTHING, with the new server at all or will I be ok until I move the mailbox over to the new one?

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

LamoTheKid posted:

Gunning to do my 2010 CAS cutover tomorrow night (co-existance with Exchange 2003).

I'll be leaving the legacy server in place for a month or two since there's a lot of large mailboxes I need to move over.

A few questions...

Can I move the OAB right now or should I wait until the CAS is cutover to be our external facing site?

I have a BES Express server in place hooked up to the old server. Do I need to worry about permissions or for tha tmatter, ANYTHING, with the new server at all or will I be ok until I move the mailbox over to the new one?

The 2010 OAB should be independent from what you have in the 2003 environment. You should have one created and assigned to the new mail database.

If you haven't already, create a test mailbox both on 2010 environment and one on the 2003, make sure you can reach each via the new CAS, and that everything works peachy. If it does, then you shouldn't have much to really worry about.

I'm not sure on the BESX server, I've installed both 4.x and 5.x in the past, but I've never migrated from 2003 to 2010. I would make sure that your BESAdmin account has all of the required permissions (Add-ADPermission -User "BesAdmin" -AccessRights ExtendedRight -ExtendedRights Receive-As, ms-Exch-Store-Admin) on the new databases, and that it's a local administrator of the 2010 server. Then do some testing. If it's version 5 then it may still provision devices and function while you migrate everything.

But honestly there shouldn't be any surprises when you go to move mailboxes, there is ample time (and zero risk) to test things before you commit to moving the mailboxes to the new home.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

LamoTheKid posted:

BES will need to have *matching* versions of the Exchange MAPI CDO dll's on both the BES and Exchange box. When you do the cutover, I'd switch BES to point to the new box, make sure the CDO dll's are the latest version and match (2010 doesn't ship with them, you'll need to install them).

Once BES is pointed to the new server, it will correctly find/access mailboxes, regardless of the server they are on (exchange has a re-director for requests that BES supports)

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I have a question about Exchange via HTTP on Exchange 2007/Office 2010.

To note: I've got all the external and internal hostnames set up correctly (autodiscover is resolvable outside of the building, etc.) and the UCC certificate is working great.

When I have a laptop in the building that I've configured Outlook 2010 on, they can then take that laptop outside of the building and not even need a VPN connection to connect to Exchange - it uses connection type "Exchange HTTP". What I'm trying to figure out is how to setup a laptop for this same type of connection that has never set foot in our office.

I've tried replicating the settings exactly how my copy of Outlook on my laptop is set up, but when I go to add the server name and click the "Check name" button after I've entered my name, I get this error: http://i.imgur.com/EwqeG.png

Am I missing something here, or do I have to have the machine here in the office for the initial configuration?

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

nexxai posted:

I have a question about Exchange via HTTP on Exchange 2007/Office 2010.

To note: I've got all the external and internal hostnames set up correctly (autodiscover is resolvable outside of the building, etc.) and the UCC certificate is working great.

When I have a laptop in the building that I've configured Outlook 2010 on, they can then take that laptop outside of the building and not even need a VPN connection to connect to Exchange - it uses connection type "Exchange HTTP". What I'm trying to figure out is how to setup a laptop for this same type of connection that has never set foot in our office.

I've tried replicating the settings exactly how my copy of Outlook on my laptop is set up, but when I go to add the server name and click the "Check name" button after I've entered my name, I get this error: http://i.imgur.com/EwqeG.png

Am I missing something here, or do I have to have the machine here in the office for the initial configuration?

It should automatically configure the RPC proxy settings with autodiscover, but where you want to verify that is going to be buried in the mail account settings here:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I've never been able to get outlook working without being connected to the LAN for the first time either.

VPN is an option if you can do that.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Linux Nazi posted:

It should automatically configure the RPC proxy settings with autodiscover, but where you want to verify that is going to be buried in the mail account settings here:

Yeah, I have all those settings replicated identically between the two machines, but I'm having 0 luck.

I guess I'll probably just do as sanchez suggests and VPN them temporarily until they can pull those settings down.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

nexxai posted:

Yeah, I have all those settings replicated identically between the two machines, but I'm having 0 luck.

I guess I'll probably just do as sanchez suggests and VPN them temporarily until they can pull those settings down.

Also, start outlook with the /rpcdiag parameter and see if it helps you make sense of the problems.

e: I've also had this issue on new exchange servers when the system attendant service had halted for some unknown reason. Outlook clients will refuse to go "online" when a new profile is configured.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 22, 2011

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
I had a similar issue where RPC users had to be in the office before their account would work. It was due to an Exchange/Domain Controller issue, where the Exchange proxy service wasn't able to talk to the domain controller to find their user name. When you're local, your PC just goes to the DC directly. I had to add a whole bunch of registry entries to get that communication working again.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

madsushi posted:

I had a similar issue where RPC users had to be in the office before their account would work. It was due to an Exchange/Domain Controller issue, where the Exchange proxy service wasn't able to talk to the domain controller to find their user name. When you're local, your PC just goes to the DC directly. I had to add a whole bunch of registry entries to get that communication working again.

Yup! This is actually the exact function that the system attendant (mad.exe) provides. It acts as a proxy for AD requests.

In a healthy environment you shouldn't have to add any extra settings.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Linux Nazi posted:

Yup! This is actually the exact function that the system attendant (mad.exe) provides. It acts as a proxy for AD requests.

In a healthy environment you shouldn't have to add any extra settings.
I just checked and the System Attendant service is definitely running. Any other suggestions?

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

nexxai posted:

I just checked and the System Attendant service is definitely running. Any other suggestions?

Try kicking it over for good measure. Otherwise see what the /rpcdiag comes back with on the client side.

It's worth sorting out the issue, since it's likely to happen again next time you have to provision a remote user's outlook client.

Also see if the remote analyzer tool qualifies you.

https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/

e: Check the RPC/HTTP and just have it use autodiscover.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 23, 2011

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Linux Nazi posted:

Try kicking it over for good measure. Otherwise see what the /rpcdiag comes back with on the client side.

It's worth sorting out the issue, since it's likely to happen again next time you have to provision a remote user's outlook client.

Also see if the remote analyzer tool qualifies you.

https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/

e: Check the RPC/HTTP and just have it use autodiscover.
Just ran through the Tester and it mentioned something about the RPCProxy ports not being open, so I've forwarded the port-open request to our network team. As soon as I hear back from them, I'll try it again.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Ok, so I've got it working - and forwarding the ports had nothing to do with the problem.

Apparently Exchange 2007+ loves talking IPv6 even when IPv6 is disabled. What I did was edit the hosts file on the local Exchange server with the following lines:
code:
10.0.1.65      nrp-cal-exch1.DOMAIN.local
10.0.1.65      nrp-cal-exch1
aka: both the NetBIOS name and FQDN of the server.

As soon as I did that (no reboots or anything were needed), the whole thing started working beautifully! I could even use the "Automatically detect mail settings" rather than using the "Manually configure server settings" in Outlook.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
Random question. Is it possible to have an e-mail account that sorts received e-mails into RSS feeds that other users can then subscribe to? My friend is trying to expedite their current system of writing down what employees want what, then having a single person forward these e-mails. Apparently outlook is the only option, as their system works fine.

I realize this sounds outlandish, but I figure I would put forth an honest effort in finding out if it was possible.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

nexxai posted:

Ok, so I've got it working - and forwarding the ports had nothing to do with the problem.

Apparently Exchange 2007+ loves talking IPv6 even when IPv6 is disabled. What I did was edit the hosts file on the local Exchange server with the following lines:
code:
10.0.1.65      nrp-cal-exch1.DOMAIN.local
10.0.1.65      nrp-cal-exch1
aka: both the NetBIOS name and FQDN of the server.

As soon as I did that (no reboots or anything were needed), the whole thing started working beautifully! I could even use the "Automatically detect mail settings" rather than using the "Manually configure server settings" in Outlook.

Correct, Exchange 2010 loves talking over IPv6. I'm sure there's a more graceful way of correcting it, but I always just leave IPv6 turned on.

I just woke up so I don't remember the specifics, but with IPv6 disabled you would have likely had some topology error events barking at you in the event logs, followed by a 2080 where it lists the DCs and their characteristics. like:

dc1.domain.local CDG 1 1 7 0 1 7 1
dc2.domain.local CDG 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Usually some quick google-foo will lead you to the fact that IPv6 should be left on if you investigate the events.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

FYI even though this states that Online Archives are supported with Office 2007 it neglects to mention that only certain versions of office 2007 ACTUALLY support the feature.

Just added 20K to an already sold/halfway completed project :(

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Studebaker Hawk posted:

FYI even though this states that Online Archives are supported with Office 2007 it neglects to mention that only certain versions of office 2007 ACTUALLY support the feature.

Just added 20K to an already sold/halfway completed project :(

Not that it is ideal for everyone, but can't you just use OWA to access the archived emails, or have I been misinformed?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
This is making me tear my hair out. I'm working on transitioning from Ex2k3 to Ex2k10. For Exchange 2010, we have 3 public folder stores (one on each server), each of which hosts a replica of every public folder.

I have all the replica copies of the public folders added to the stores, and they have all replicated. One of the users notice that the message class did not get replicated. In a lot of our public folders we set the message class so it loads the a custom form for that department.

I decided to just push through this and script setting the message class to what it's supposed to be. I do that for one of the public folders, but the message class doesn't get changed in the other Exchange 2010 public folder stores.

Any recommendations to get message classes set to what they were in Exchange 2003?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I would assume there is an easy answer to this question, but my google-foo is off, or I am blatantly missing things.

When I create a new mailbox for a user (Exchange 2007), is there some option to not make that mailbox active until a certain date/time? Ideally I like to get new user setup done a few days before they start, but then they will get all the messages from distribution groups and such piling up for their first day. Can I make the mailbox and get their profile setup on their PC with Outlook, but somehow hold mailflow until a pre-determined time?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Has anyone gotten any complaints about Gmail getting bounced back due to RBL last night?

Two of the higher ups in my firm complained of outside mail getting bounced back to the sender's gmail account. It seems they got rejected last night at around midnight (central time), but by this morning, all seems to be well again.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.
My client called me today saying he hasn't received any e-mail for a couple of days. I dialed in and sure enough no mail since Saturday. The mail server has some undelivered messages in the queue going back to Friday, though I know mail was working then.

I've rebooted the firewall and mail server. I was in the office Friday, and the only change on the servers I made was adding some shared folders on the DC. That wouldn't cause this.

The event logs have a bunch of undeliverable errors - SMTP codes 4.0.0 and 4.7.1, plus some LDAP binding errors. Internal mail works. I suspect it's firewall or ISP, but I can't prove it yet. When I do the SMTP test on MXtoolbox, it says the target machine is actively refusing the connection.

gently caress! I don't loving know.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I had the same problem when the disc that the message store was on got close to full and Exchange decided to stop accepting messages.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Caged posted:

I had the same problem when the disc that the message store was on got close to full and Exchange decided to stop accepting messages.

I thought of that. I read somewhere that the 4.0.0 error usually means that. I have something like 30gb free and the DB is only 24gb.

I just noticed that it seems to be working, though there are still a few messages in the outbound queue. All of my tests worked. I don't feel like it's fixed though.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
Use telnet and manually submit a message from the mail server outbound, and vice versa from a remote source.

Bump up the verbosity on the firewall logs and see if it's actively blocking / dropping the connection. If not, then check the ISP.

Depending on the ISP, they may have instituted an opt-out SMTP policy. Some smaller regional providers have started doing this, may be worth it to give them a call and see if it's something they've turned on recently. I've had this happen once with a provider, they had sent the client a notification in the mail something like 60 days in advance, but of course the client didn't know what it said or bother telling me.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Linux Nazi posted:

Use telnet and manually submit a message from the mail server outbound, and vice versa from a remote source.

Bump up the verbosity on the firewall logs and see if it's actively blocking / dropping the connection. If not, then check the ISP.

Depending on the ISP, they may have instituted an opt-out SMTP policy. Some smaller regional providers have started doing this, may be worth it to give them a call and see if it's something they've turned on recently. I've had this happen once with a provider, they had sent the client a notification in the mail something like 60 days in advance, but of course the client didn't know what it said or bother telling me.

Hmmm that's interesting. We actually are using a small regional ISP.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Crazy has and always will be a way to discredit or otherwise demean a woman's thoughts and opinions
I'm kind of an Exchange newbie and I need some help. I'm trying to restore e-mails from a backup. I've created the recovery group and I think I totally hosed up with the database. I mounted the live one and not the backup. I don't know.

According to these instructions

http://www.simple-talk.com/sysadmin/exchange/exchange-recovery-storage-groups/

I should have had a couple options but I only had the one. I'm worried because in the Mailbox Store section of the Recovery Group it lists the default public store location.

In the database locations, it has the database names under the right path. The instructions say above these should both be created but they haven't.

Am I ok? I'm really freaked out. This is on a live system.

I don't want to mount the db without knowing it won't overwrite something or whatever.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

SmellsOfFriendship posted:

I'm kind of an Exchange newbie and I need some help. I'm trying to restore e-mails from a backup. I've created the recovery group and I think I totally hosed up with the database. I mounted the live one and not the backup. I don't know.

According to these instructions

http://www.simple-talk.com/sysadmin/exchange/exchange-recovery-storage-groups/

I should have had a couple options but I only had the one. I'm worried because in the Mailbox Store section of the Recovery Group it lists the default public store location.

In the database locations, it has the database names under the right path. The instructions say above these should both be created but they haven't.

Am I ok? I'm really freaked out. This is on a live system.

I don't want to mount the db without knowing it won't overwrite something or whatever.

Just as a quick reply because I don't have a ton of time, you should be okay as it is pretty loving difficult to restore over a live database if the service is running. You would have had to check the box saying "this database can be overwrriten by a restore." So don't freak out, but you shouldn't really be doing this on a live server if you're an Exchange newbie.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Crazy has and always will be a way to discredit or otherwise demean a woman's thoughts and opinions

Internet Explorer posted:

Just as a quick reply because I don't have a ton of time, you should be okay as it is pretty loving difficult to restore over a live database if the service is running. You would have had to check the box saying "this database can be overwrriten by a restore." So don't freak out, but you shouldn't really be doing this on a live server if you're an Exchange newbie.

Yeah I know, I don't have a test environment and I don't have the resources for one. I've done this in a lab before but, live systems.

That option to overwrite is checked in the Recovery Group.

But I just realized that it's the public folder store.

The directory path is correct based off where I told it but the db names are entirely different.

I get x:\restoredirectory\mailbox store (servername).edb instead of prv1 or whatever.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

I spent the last 3 years in a Groupwise/Zimbra environment and I'm stupid rusty. Any of you Exchange 2007 wizards know the PowerShell command to grant calendar Author/Reviewer (Edit) permission to Jack@network.net for Jill@network.net's calendar? All that the Exchange Console lets me do is give Jack full permissions to Jill's entire mailbox. There probably wouldn't be anything wrong with giving myself full permissions to Jill's entire mailbox and setting the permissions for Jack that way, but there has to be a more elegant way to go about this. Also Jill is on vacation this week and can't do it herself.

Google keeps throwing up Set-MailboxFolderPermission but it looks like that was something that was added in Exchange 2010 since it won't work for me at all.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I'd just do that from outlook.

edit: nm you don't have permission.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Ugh, I really do not have a loving clue about this. I managed to coopt some hardware , installed Exchange and have the db on the server. I don't know where to go from here though.

This isn't something I've ever done before. :(

All this for one goddamned mailbox.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

babies havin rabies posted:

I spent the last 3 years in a Groupwise/Zimbra environment and I'm stupid rusty. Any of you Exchange 2007 wizards know the PowerShell command to grant calendar Author/Reviewer (Edit) permission to Jack@network.net for Jill@network.net's calendar? All that the Exchange Console lets me do is give Jack full permissions to Jill's entire mailbox. There probably wouldn't be anything wrong with giving myself full permissions to Jill's entire mailbox and setting the permissions for Jack that way, but there has to be a more elegant way to go about this. Also Jill is on vacation this week and can't do it herself.

Google keeps throwing up Set-MailboxFolderPermission but it looks like that was something that was added in Exchange 2010 since it won't work for me at all.

http://exchangeshare.wordpress.com/2008/05/27/faq-give-calendar-read-permission-on-all-mailboxes-pfdavadmin/ - it's not PowerShell but it'll do what you need.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Thanks! Looks like it could be a valuable tool in the future. Unfortunatley I had to use the big club and set permissions using full access as this was one of those Do It Right Now things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Just something for any i365 users. Apparently there is no way to restore an Exchange mailbox store to a test system. You have to restore it to the live, with overwrite files checked and it will allegedly restore it to the Recovery Group.

:catstare: