Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I'll echo the love for LittleBigPlanet 2 on the exclusives front. It's scientifically formulated to make you happy, it works great in small doses, and there is a constant stream of new content that is actually worth playing. Don't just dismiss it as a kiddie game. Also: you can buy LBP1 GOTY bundled with a new (black) controller for about the same price (I've even seen it cheaper) than a controller alone, and all of that content transfers to LBP2.

The BradyGames guide for LBP2 isn't half bad, either, I hear.

vvv LBP2 is going to blow your mind, then. It really does a lot of things better than the original, and LBP.me is a bloody revelation when it comes to experiencing the user generated content.

Oh yeah, and LBP2 is permanently at $40 brand new, now.

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Its kind of amazing. I really want to get LBP 2 eventually, but LBP1 is keeping me perfectly happy at the moment. There is just so much content and some of it is really cool.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

Its kind of amazing. I really want to get LBP 2 eventually, but LBP1 is keeping me perfectly happy at the moment. There is just so much content and some of it is really cool.

Trust me, you want to upgrade to LBP2. It's backwards compatible with 99% of LBP1 levels, and makes them look and run MUCH better. The new lighting engine and effects are great.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Dominic White posted:

Trust me, you want to upgrade to LBP2. It's backwards compatible with 99% of LBP1 levels, and makes them look and run MUCH better. The new lighting engine and effects are great.

Believe me I do, but my money is being tied up with other things right now. Gears of war 3 is next on the list and depending on how Dark Souls goes, I might get it because I really want that Kings Field vibe again that I didn't get from Demon's Souls. Plus I want to get Red Orchestra 2.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Dominic White posted:

Is it inherently better, though, or is it just prettier?

Every time I look at LBP2, I can't help but think - "eh, yeah, I played that already, and I guess they made the graphics better." Is the content available substantially better than what I can play if I just go load up LBP1 again?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Shalinor posted:

Every time I look at LBP2, I can't help but think - "eh, yeah, I played that already, and I guess they made the graphics better." Is the content available substantially better than what I can play if I just go load up LBP1 again?

Yes. It's a huge improvement. The new tools have completely changed the kind of stuff people can make. Integrated AI bots, scripting systems and vehicle controls all add up. They're not kidding when they say you can make almost any genre of game using it. They seem to be adding a sprite animation system in the Move update (two days off, now), too, so you can make 2D games.

LBP1 levels are made prettier and run smoother, but the LBP2 levels are where the really fancy stuff is.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 12, 2011

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Stelas posted:

Since I'm done with DX for the moment and Disgaea 4 isn't out here for a month and a half (:argh:) I restarted Atelier Rorona to try to finish it properly and get myself stoked for the sequel. Somehow, I've entered some magical zen of anime shop tending; I'm barely finished with the first year of three and half the town is at maxed out trust. I blame all that time training on Reccetear.

Motherfuck. I need to read a guide because i'm doing so poorly with trus levels, and i keep defaulting on friend quests because i can't find high quality items.

Dungeon Siege 3 rage time. Why are there no potions in this game? I'm fighting The Dapper Old Gent and he's throwing all kinds of poo poo at me, my allies are getting whipped, i'm down to red 90% of the time and there aren't any checkpoints because there are so many save points and gahmotherfucker

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Shalinor posted:

Is it inherently better, though, or is it just prettier?

I honestly don't understand how that be said about LBP2. I mean, 99% of sequels, sure, but LBP2's campaign alone was just a constant stream of stuff that wasn't possible to do in LBP1 and really with the tools that they have available it's still the tip of the iceberg. Like, I know that alot of the user generation content ends up being rather simple because making stuff like that is easier, and I will also admit I haven't played in a while but even early on there was a wealth of stuff available that you just couldn't do in the original.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
As much as I love Ratchet & Clank, I can't help but cringe when I look at this trailer and see those descent levels with the grue coming out of the background all wallmaster style.

I blame it on memories of Battletoads, I guess.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Polite Tim posted:

Motherfuck. I need to read a guide because i'm doing so poorly with trus levels, and i keep defaulting on friend quests because i can't find high quality items.

Roughly speaking:

- After you establish an initial float of cash, only take jobs from Etsy where you either have a ton of the item in question or where you can buy the item ready-made in town and finish the job that day. You won't make much profit but you'll make enough. Her jobs change daily so take every opportunity to clear out the list.

- Once you can get away with it, start buying up Quality Water/Salt/Flour from the shops so you have a stockpile of about 20 for the salt and flour and 40 for the water. It'll ramp up the quality of stuff you make, and I was having real problems until I started doing this, which might be your issue.

- Be kind of picky about which friend quests you take on. Sterk constantly asks for awkward bullshit like Cannons or Bombs way ahead of when you can easily make them or which are always a pain and a half to make. Otherwise, a surprising amount of requests involve ingredients just lying around shops, provided you use higher quality options whenever possible. If in doubt just don't accept the quest until you have the items - only defaulting on a quest will lose you rep.

- Scribble down what's available at the stores, and at what quality. Only keep stuff in dungeons that's either not available or that trumps this or that has very beneficial effects, and you'll get more use out of each dungeon run. (Quality+, mostly.) Be prepared to run the Wolf Habitat a billion goddamn times for all the Eicheloa you can carry.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The demo for the PS3 version of Ghost of Sparta is pretty damned impressive. I can't believe it was a PSP game before. I think I'll buy it tomorrow. God of War is no Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden for me, but it definitely scratches my stabbing things with swords itch.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I know I keep saying this, but drat, Deus Ex is better than any game has a right to be. This is definitely going on my top ten list of best games of all time. It'll probably even supplant the original Deus Ex on that list. drat. Can't wait for the DLC.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

So, no price announced on it yet, but the big LBP2 DLC pack lands tomorrow. Most stuff looks to be only for Move owners, but here's what it adds:

New Story - Rise of The Cakeling
5 Story Levels, 7 Minigames

Powerup: Brain Crane (Lets you move objects with the Move cursor)

3 Editor Tools: The Movinator, Move Recorder and Paint Tool

4 Interative Music Tracks, 8 Sequencer Tracks, 17 New Sequencer Instruments

32 New Sounds

1 New Background, 6 New Costumes, 18 Materials, 41 Decorations, 13 Objects, 66 Stickers

11 Trophies and 39 Pins to earn.

That's a pretty hefty pile of stuff. I'm hoping it'll only be $10, but I'm expecting it to be a bit more. It looks like (as with all previous LBP stuff) you don't need to own it to play Move-based levels and can join the new campaign levels if you don't own them, so long as you're joining another player that does.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 13, 2011

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dominic White posted:

They seem to be adding a sprite animation system in the Move update (two days off, now), too, so you can make 2D games.

I believe they're simply adding a new transparent material (the sticker panel) which perfectly preserves stickers and has an input for varying the opacity. Animation is done exactly the same way as with the holographic material - by switching a power input between two bits of overlaying material. It looks better with the new sticker panel because there's no quality loss for stuck on stickers and there's no scanlines like with the holographic material.

Plus you get to draw your own stickers with the move via a new dedicated painting tool.
The updates' basically LBP 2.5

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm looking for a steering wheel for the PS3 and it feels kinda silly to be paying as much for the G27 wheel as the console itself cost, so I've been looking at other options.

How is the Driving Force GT one? And are any of the non-Logitech ones any good at all?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Samurai Sanders posted:

The demo for the PS3 version of Ghost of Sparta is pretty damned impressive. I can't believe it was a PSP game before. I think I'll buy it tomorrow. God of War is no Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden for me, but it definitely scratches my stabbing things with swords itch.

That's good to hear, since Gamefly chose to send it to me yesterday. Anybody know about how long the game are? I remember playing 10 minutes of the first PSP game at one point, and liking it.

I posted this, but it was at the end of the last page: does anyone play Motorstorm Apocalypse anymore? I just got it and I'm liking it so far. The tracks are loving crazy, and I'm getting used to the weird PS3 triggers for driving. I need to find my stupid glasses and try it in 3D at some point... Also, I need more PSN friends. NotECEC is my tag.

EC fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 13, 2011

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

EC posted:

That's good to hear, since Gamefly chose to send it to me yesterday. Anybody know about how long the game are? I remember playing 10 minutes of the first PSP game at one point, and liking it.

Pretty sure they average the same length as the other God of War titles.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TaurusOxford posted:

No, they're definitely shorter. I think the first one is like five hours and the second is like six to ten.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

They are significantly shorter. I ran through both in a single day.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

MrBling posted:

How is the Driving Force GT one? And are any of the non-Logitech ones any good at all?

The DFGT is my first (and only) wheel, and it's excellent. It was pretty much made for Gran Turismo 5 but it'll work with other games and I think it'll work ona PC too. There are better wheels from Fanatec (I think that's the company) that use belts for the force-feedback (the DFGT has gears so it's kinda noisy) but they're also more expensive.

I've been very happy with my DFGT and you will be too. The paddle shifters are just buttons on the back of the wheel but they work just fine for their intended purpose, there's only a sequential stick shifter but that works well too, and there's no clutch but for me at least it's not a big deal.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
Please tell me that was not the real ending of Resistance 3. Besides the guns I find it hard to believe Insomniac made this.

Maybe I should flesh this out a bit. Thee ending was just very sudden, and nothing addressed the voices Hale heard at the end of R2. Maybe I was addressed in some of the Malikov journals I missed near the end. A lot of things just seem to be left in the air at the end.

Salsa McManus fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 13, 2011

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Danthrax posted:

The DFGT is my first (and only) wheel, and it's excellent. It was pretty much made for Gran Turismo 5 but it'll work with other games and I think it'll work ona PC too. There are better wheels from Fanatec (I think that's the company) that use belts for the force-feedback (the DFGT has gears so it's kinda noisy) but they're also more expensive.

I've been very happy with my DFGT and you will be too. The paddle shifters are just buttons on the back of the wheel but they work just fine for their intended purpose, there's only a sequential stick shifter but that works well too, and there's no clutch but for me at least it's not a big deal.

Chiming in as another very happy DFGT user. I use it for Gran Turismo 5 and iRacing (hardcore PC sim), but mostly iRacing. Very easy to use wheel and feels really good. I eventually want to upgrade to a much more expensive wheel, since i'll get my moneys worth out of it, but right now, the DFGT was a great choice.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
^^ Yeah, speaking of moneys worth, I know I'd play a WHOLE lot more GT5 if I had a wheel [and yeah I might look into PC sims too]. I really do love GT5, but controlling it with a DS3 just doesn't feel right to me.

I was holding out from buying a DFGT just because my purist friends kept yelling at me to just save up for a G27, and besides that I REEEEEALLLLLLYYY want that clutch/shifter... but that's probably never going to happen, and I am sick of playing GT5 with a DS3. Drifting is hard as gently caress for me [or I should say, controlling a drift is], and just in general I know I'd be a lot better with some of the more challenging cars [like my roided-up Ferrari, can't remember which model, which likes to spin out if I look at it funny] if I had an actual wheel.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just know that going in, there is a steep learning curve with any wheel. GT5 turns off a whole bunch of hidden driving aids that are enabled with a controller, and the game totally changes at that point. Especially on the older race cars, they become a lot harder to control. It was really frustrating playing with a wheel at first and I still don't have it down on the older Le Mans cars, which seem almost impossible to drive on a wheel.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

...! posted:

I am starting to feel insulted, sir.

Please don't! I'm juggling an off-site strategy guide right now and I'm sort of idly throwing out "oh, hay, wanna work for us?" stuff but I'm in a poor position to actually go through with it as I'm barely around to tend to the current staff (poor guys and girls). That said, if anyone's interested, they can always send writing samples/pleas to Hal Incandenza, but I really don't want to turn the thread into a job hunting thing, so I promise, I'll stop mentioning our little labor of love.

You, sir, should send some writing samples or a review of the last game you really enjoyed my way. I owe you that much if I've slighted you.

Yechezkel posted:

Also, nice scores on Rock of the Dead. :laugh:
Yes, I admit to playing Rock of the Dead. :smith:

I still insist that the game is a really cute idea that should have been a downloadable title and about half the length it was. The devs were really receptive to my review, though, which was kinda nice.

vote_no posted:

You probably don't like that they're giving away Back to the Future: Episode 1 for free on PSN right now. On the other hand, giving it away is the only reason I would have played it, and now I'm going to get Episode 2. I mean, they gave me a trophy for picking the correct movie dialog! I could have played 116 minutes of that!

I love that they are! Giving away the first episode in an episodic game is a really smart way to hook people. I hope it works for 'em, I really do. They deserve all the sales they get.

blackguy32 posted:

I agree with this. I have beaten a couple of the worlds, but I really have no burning desire to go back and play it again. I really hate the hub aspect of it because surprisingly, I really like King's Field.

You are going to love Dark Souls, then. Looooooooove.

ChetReckless posted:

The BradyGames guide for LBP2 isn't half bad, either, I hear.

This just made my day.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 13, 2011

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

SamBishop posted:

This just made my day.

It's inconceivable to me where one even starts writing a guide for a game as expansive as that, let alone does a good job.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

ChetReckless posted:

It's inconceivable to me where one even starts writing a guide for a game as expansive as that, let alone does a good job.

I often describe it as reverse-engineering a game -- that one in particular. I write manuals and stuff too, and guides are largely the same in that you have to sort of break everything down and learn how to play it so you can basically tell people... how to play it. It's kind of an rear end-backwards process, but when it's all done, there's a pretty monumental sense of accomplishment -- at least until one of your co-workers says they checked out your hard work and discovered they spelled your name Sam Bishup. I wish I was kidding.

For LBP2, though, it was a really, really crazy process. The builds we were getting in (sometimes daily) were in a constant state of flux. Some areas were completely removed from the single-player and some of the Create stuff wasn't finalized yet. I'd never really done anything but dabble with a "get a bunch of easy Trophies" levels in the first game, so I had to learn how all the tools from that one worked, then how the new stuff functioned, and a lot of it was really, really complex logic and basic programming that was way over my head at first.

For the longest time, I thought I was never going to figure it all out until I hit on the idea of deconstructing some of the more clever bits from the Play portions, which ended up teaching me more than I ever could have learned by just tinkering. I can usually look at just about anything in the game now and know exactly how it was built, disguised and then implemented in the world as something that was seamless. I am in constant awe of the talent of those Media Molecule folks. In the earlier builds, we could actually go into Create mode even while playing through the Play stuff, and actually viewing just how complex everything was blew my mind.

For instance: that section where you ride on a little caterpillar up a tree? That was actually WAY too tall to build with the normal level sizes (MM largely has to adhere to the same guidelines and restrictions as anyone else using the Create tools), so one of the guys there (who actually came to work at the company because of his work on some LBP1 fan-made levels) used the Sequencer to literally swap out "chunks" of the level that players "crawled" up. The camera is pushed in so you can't see it happening just ahead of the player, but it's all done more or less invisibly, giving the level the illusion of a ton more height than is actually there. Seeing it all broken down in Create wrinkles the brain like you would not believe.

Honestly, though, while I haven't touched LBP2 since the guide was done (and probably won't for some time to come), it's the one game that I still really like. Almost everything else I've done has been torturous by the time it's all finished, but LBP2 is definitely something special. It's really the best endorsement of the game I could give -- months and months of pain and in the end I would still happily play it.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I hope there's some way that non Move users can play around with the new LBP stuff.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

RandolphCarter posted:

I hope there's some way that non Move users can play around with the new LBP stuff.

Levels that use stuff from the Move pack but don't have brain-cranes or move controller seats will almost certainly be playable for everyone.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Another update on the download version of God of War Origins:
Playstation Plus members can buy the remastered games separately for $20 each. Each of them also have a 60-minute trial.

SamBishop posted:

I still insist that the game [Rock of the Dead] is a really cute idea that should have been a downloadable title and about half the length it was.

I completely agree.

The first few levels were good. Then, in each level, it keeps going and going and going, as if they slowed the game down half speed and added double the amount of enemies to some places. Also, the battles involving parts of songs should have been done in the order of the song, not in a random order. Song part 4, then part 4 again, then part 1, part 2, part 4 yet again, etc.

:argh: I wanted to like this game. It had two things I liked: arcade gun game environment and gimmicky music game controls. And they didn't get it right.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

US version of Elemental Monster starts at $0.99, just like the Asia version. :neckbeard:

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Copy-pastin' my post from the card games thread. Here's a basic rundown of gameplay in Elemental Monster from my several minutes of experience:

In a battle, you'll have a selection of up to three available monsters to work with at any given time. One monster will always be summoned, and any others will be in standby. Summoned monsters use an attack move (some have more than one option). Standby monsters can either consume mana to use an SP ability (if they have one), or do nothing, which generates mana. You can also swap which monster is summoned, but this means you can't do anything else with either of those two monsters in that particular turn.

When a turn executes, SP moves are activated first, then summoned monsters act in order of agility score. Attack moves have elements: there's your standard Fire->Wood->Water->Fire, followed by Light<->Dark, and Void. If you use an element your enemy is weak against (arrow directions), damage is doubled. If you use one it is strong against, damage is halved if it doesn't kill the monster. Your base damage is applied first, before it is doubled or halved. Void is your "generic" attack element; there are no void monsters. Dark element monsters take half damage from Void attacks, however.

A deck in this game consists of six or fewer cards. Up to three cards start face up, and each face up card in the deck can have a backup card that gets summoned when it dies. Each card has a mana cost for being included in your deck that subtracts from your starting mana pool. I you want more mana at the beginning of a battle, put fewer cards in your deck.

You also have deck sets. This is a set of three different decks you've made. They have separate mana pools but can't use the same instances of a card (i.e. if you only have one of a particular card you can't put it in more than one deck in the same set). Deck sets are used for battles spanning multiple rounds, where you are forced to switch decks every time you lose. If you win, you keep using the deck you've got and your opponent has to switch.

Haven't played enough yet to give my impressions, of course, but there are the basic mechanics so you can see if it might be your thing before you invest your $1.

Armor-Piercing fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 14, 2011

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I broke down and bought From Dust today. I'm really glad I did, the world is gorgeous and the puzzles so far are a nice balance of planning and speedy execution. God games just hit a sweet spot for me and there hasn't been anything like this in a while.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
Is RDR Undead Nightmare fully functional if you buy it used? I know this is a dumb question.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

40 OZ posted:

Is RDR Undead Nightmare fully functional if you buy it used? I know this is a dumb question.
I bought it used and I didn't have any problems that I could see.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

40 OZ posted:

There are no codes or online passes associated with this title, so you are fine. Undead Nightmare is loving awesome, and it's where I finally learned to love the game. Go have fun with it.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

I bought it used and I didn't have any problems that I could see.

Parkingtigers posted:

There are no codes or online passes associated with this title, so you are fine. Undead Nightmare is loving awesome, and it's where I finally learned to love the game. Go have fun with it.

Awesome, thanks for the help. I'm looking forward to more RDR.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The LBP2 Move pack (due up on PSN today) is cofimed to be 8 Euros, which means it'll likely be $10. Not bad, considering the weight of content. And they've also confirmed that it works like all previous LBP2 DLC: Only builders and folks who want to initiate games on the new story levels need to own it. Everyone else can mooch all the content (including joining games on the new story levels) for free.

I want to give all of Media Molecule a hug for coming up with that system.

Trailer for the new story mode stuff here. Looks like it even includes a Move-based Tower Defense game.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Sep 14, 2011

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Final Fantasy X remake/remaster/HD version coming to Vita and PS3. Square is scraping the bottom of that ice machine for all it's worth.

Harlock fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Sep 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Harlock posted:

Final Fantasy X remake/remaster/HD version coming to Vita and PS3. Square is scraping the bottom of that ice machine for all it's worth.

Any gameplay improvements / new sphere grid / different items? Or is it just HD graphics? Have they redone the god drat laughing scene at least?

• Locked thread