Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005

Ziir posted:

When I'm using Preview in full screen mode to view PDFs and switch pages, a little popup comes up saying "Page X of Y" for a few seconds. Can I make this popup never show up? It's distracting at best, and just plain annoying.

e: Actually, it seems there's two ways to enter full-screen and they're not the same :psyduck:

Pressing the fullscreen button in the top right fullscreens it and gives it its own space, like it's suppose to. But now changing pages gives that annoying 'Page X of Y' popup and there's a stupid animation to the page changes. It also gives you access to 3 finger swipe left/right to change pages.

However, pressing cmd+shift+f ALSO fullscreens it, giving it it's own space too. But now 3 finger swipe is gone, but you can still change the pages with the left/right arrows. Page changes are now instantaneous and there's no annoying 'Page X of Y' popup.

… it really doesn't seem like there should be a difference here and it just seems like Apple didn't do much testing on this whole fullscreen mode at all.

I'm pretty sure the latter thing you're seeing is slideshow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So is out-of-box file sharing between Lion and Win7 still broken or am I just not seeing a correct workaround?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Martytoof posted:

So is out-of-box file sharing between Lion and Win7 still broken or am I just not seeing a correct workaround?

In my experience, it's really hosed up. The most consistent way I've found to get it to work is connecting to a Windows share via smb and mounting it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Unfortunately I'm the one hosting the files. Thanks for the insight though.

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010

Modern Pragmatist posted:

What's wrong with symbolic links? That should work if you want them to be truly "synchronized"

I want the files to live in both locations. There are two volumes mounted on my desktop I'm trying to keep in sync. One is local, one is remote.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

wanderlost posted:

I want the files to live in both locations. There are two volumes mounted on my desktop I'm trying to keep in sync. One is local, one is remote.

Symlinks with sshfs :getin:

But seriously, rsync in a cronjob? It depends on how often you need to synchronize them and how big a typical change is going to be.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I'm using Safari (the version that comes with Lion), and all of a sudden, thumbnails here on SA aren't clickable anymore. Has anyone else had this problem?

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010

yaoi prophet posted:

Symlinks with sshfs :getin:

But seriously, rsync in a cronjob? It depends on how often you need to synchronize them and how big a typical change is going to be.

I don't need to sync regularly. Once a day would be fine, but I really want a gui or some sort of visual confirmation that it is working.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shroud posted:

I'm using Safari (the version that comes with Lion), and all of a sudden, thumbnails here on SA aren't clickable anymore. Has anyone else had this problem?

Webkit (Safari and Chrome) and SA don't get along.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Shroud posted:

Here's the solution.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Awesome, thanks!

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

A while ago I bought a MBP when they were doing their back to school $100 gift card thing. I was going to redeem the card today, but then I realized I lost it. Am I hosed?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

yaoi prophet posted:

A while ago I bought a MBP when they were doing their back to school $100 gift card thing. I was going to redeem the card today, but then I realized I lost it. Am I hosed?

You are hosed.. Gift cards are like cash.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Martytoof posted:

Unfortunately I'm the one hosting the files. Thanks for the insight though.

Install samba3 from MacPorts... yeah. :negative:

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone know why the start-up sound when I turn my laptop on would stop playing? I picked up a new 15" MacBook Pro a couple weeks ago and for some reason about two days ago it stopped. It doesn't bother me too much, since it was kind of annoying, but I'm curious as to how it got turned off. I never changed any settings, and from what I could find it's not that easy to disable.

The only culprit I can think of is I have a bad stick of RAM and the machine will crash about once a day. I plan on replacing the RAM but it will be a few days until I get home.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

FlashBangBob posted:

You are hosed.. Gift cards are like cash.

So there's no way for them to resend me the code? I'm pretty sure it's not stolen since it's somewhere at home, I just have no drat clue where it is.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

blk96gt posted:

Anyone know why the start-up sound when I turn my laptop on would stop playing? I picked up a new 15" MacBook Pro a couple weeks ago and for some reason about two days ago it stopped. It doesn't bother me too much, since it was kind of annoying, but I'm curious as to how it got turned off. I never changed any settings, and from what I could find it's not that easy to disable.

The only culprit I can think of is I have a bad stick of RAM and the machine will crash about once a day. I plan on replacing the RAM but it will be a few days until I get home.
Is your machine muted? all of my Macs don't play the startup sound if the sound's all the way off.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

wanderlost posted:

I don't need to sync regularly. Once a day would be fine, but I really want a gui or some sort of visual confirmation that it is working.
Is it just a one way sync? If so Carbon Copy Cloner would work. Set up whatever source, target, and settings, then save it as a scheduled task. From there you have options to show it being copied whenever it's scheduled.

~Coxy posted:

Install samba3 from MacPorts... yeah. :negative:
I had it working once with the built in stuff...then haven't been able to do it since. Installing samba3 can't be the only way :ohdear:.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

wdarkk posted:

Here's the solution.

Can we get this in the OP? It's such a great thing to have but it's hidden away in another forum.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

Is your machine muted? all of my Macs don't play the startup sound if the sound's all the way off.

As far as I know it's not muted. I've got the sound turned up when the computers running so I would assume it resumes the previous volume when booting up.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Can I ask if they've fixed this stupid full-screen mode takeover all monitors oversight in the beta versions of Lion yet?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Here's one for the Mail experts: When I get email from my parents, it's always in a tiny font; I think it's just Outlook Express 6's default appearance as rendered by Mail.app. Is there any way to tell mail to display the plain-text alternative from certain senders only? I know about Command+Option+P, but I'd like something that persists across restarting the software, if anyone knows of such a feature.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Ziir posted:

Can I ask if they've fixed this stupid full-screen mode takeover all monitors oversight in the beta versions of Lion yet?

Nope. Anyone know if a fix is on the horizon or any hacks released?

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

carry on then posted:

Here's one for the Mail experts: When I get email from my parents, it's always in a tiny font; I think it's just Outlook Express 6's default appearance as rendered by Mail.app. Is there any way to tell mail to display the plain-text alternative from certain senders only? I know about Command+Option+P, but I'd like something that persists across restarting the software, if anyone knows of such a feature.
I think there is only the app-wide preference for plain-text preference. You have to enable it on the terminal, though...

Otherwise, I have no idea.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

So this has happened to me twice in the past few days—my keyboard stops responding to all input except for my shortcuts to switch spaces (⌘-1,⌘-2,⌘-3,⌘-4). I feel like last time it came back on its own, but this time I had to close the lid and open it back up. Tried disabling BetterTouchTool, but no luck there. Something to do with Mission Control, maybe?

e: it's also possible it has to do with an applescript i'm running for some keystroke macros, but I feel like the first time it happened I hadn't written the script yet.

YO MAMA HEAD fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 12, 2011

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I've set up a new Mini to my plasma tv as an HTPC and all is great but occasionally I will turn off the tv while the mini is still running and later when I come back and turn everything back on, the mouse cursor will disappear. It still functions as I can scroll around with my trackpad and activate links, etc but the pointer itself is invisible. The only thing that seems to cure this is rebooting my mini; turning the trackpad on and off doesn't help.

How can I cure this? Running the latest version of Lion.

he;lp

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

El Jackalope posted:

I've set up a new Mini to my plasma tv as an HTPC and all is great but occasionally I will turn off the tv while the mini is still running and later when I come back and turn everything back on, the mouse cursor will disappear. It still functions as I can scroll around with my trackpad and activate links, etc but the pointer itself is invisible. The only thing that seems to cure this is rebooting my mini; turning the trackpad on and off doesn't help.

How can I cure this? Running the latest version of Lion.

he;lp

I dunno, maybe Mousepose? It's supposed to be Lion compatible, $17 shareware but free to try for 5 days.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

FamDav posted:

Can we get this in the OP? It's such a great thing to have but it's hidden away in another forum.
It's already there under Safari extensions. I guess I'll add it to the FAQ (no one will read it anyway).

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's already there under Safari extensions. I guess I'll add it to the FAQ (no one will read it anyway).

That's the spirit! :)

jet_dee
May 20, 2007
Blah blah blah Nationstates is cool blah blah blah
I know this sounds like a hardware question but I figure it's more software; if I leave my portable external hard drive switched on and hooked up to my system, will it become corrupted, especially when switching my computer on and off daily? I use it as my Time Machine and only switch it on when OS X bugs me that I haven't run Time Machine in a week, and it might be more convenient if I have more frequent backups, no?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

No, it won't become corrupted. OS X will always safely unmount it on shut down. You might actually encounter some Finder lag by leaving an external plugged in all the time, since it sometimes hangs while it waits for all drives to spin up. I leave my Time Machine external plugged in all the time without issue.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jet_dee posted:

I know this sounds like a hardware question but I figure it's more software; if I leave my portable external hard drive switched on and hooked up to my system, will it become corrupted, especially when switching my computer on and off daily? I use it as my Time Machine and only switch it on when OS X bugs me that I haven't run Time Machine in a week, and it might be more convenient if I have more frequent backups, no?

As long as you're actually shutting down the system and not yanking the hard drive out or anything, you should be fine.

jet_dee
May 20, 2007
Blah blah blah Nationstates is cool blah blah blah
Beautiful. Thanks!

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

blk96gt posted:

As far as I know it's not muted. I've got the sound turned up when the computers running so I would assume it resumes the previous volume when booting up.

The startup sound has the same volume as your Mac's built-in speakers, and OSX remembers your built-in-speaker volume and audio jack volume separately. If you use external speakers or headphones, unplug them, adjust the volume, and then plug them back in. Your same problem confounded me for a while, too.

Pinkied_Brain
Aug 4, 2004

Has anyone tried iTunes match? It gave me an error "-54" and now it doesn't even start....

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I have some lectures in flash/swf format. Whats the best way to convert these to a format that I can throw on my iPad?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

In iPhoto can you have sub-albums?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Technically no, but you can use smart albums to group albums together.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Ziir posted:

I have some lectures in flash/swf format. Whats the best way to convert these to a format that I can throw on my iPad?

I don't know if there's a more elegant way, but you can always open them and then record the playback into a standard format using some screen capture software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.
We just bought a new MacBook Pro at work from the Apple Store today. It came with Snow Leopard and not Lion. Are they not shipping with that yet or what?