Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Got the Tascam FW1082 for $190. I need some better monitors, those these are DCMs and though are quite good, they are somewhat boomy without isolation from the desk. I am probably going order this desk, any recommendations for/against? I have a rackmount monitor amplifier, a patchbay, and possibly some other outboard stuff.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

DJ Commie posted:

Got the Tascam FW1082 for $190. I need some better monitors, those these are DCMs and though are quite good, they are somewhat boomy without isolation from the desk. I am probably going order this desk, any recommendations for/against? I have a rackmount monitor amplifier, a patchbay, and possibly some other outboard stuff.

Wow it's almost like you're going for the exact same setup I had about three years ago. I had the tascam and ended up hating it because of its limited mobility and the fact that automation is just as easy to do without it. I also bought that exact loving desk, which unless you're a bit taller than the average person, your screen will be taller than you are and you'll be looking up all the time. I went back to a normal desk but keep that one on my left hand side with some rack gear and 4-channel TEAC A-2340 on the top shelf. It's a handy desk to have around, but it's too small to do anything serious with aside from using it as an extra surface and bedroom rackmount.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 28, 2011

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I have the same control surface and hate it. If it worked with Presonus products I'd be way happier.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

It somehow fits in my spare bookbag, but yeah seriously it wastes a shitload of space. Is the FW1884 even larger with its bigger faders? Its generally replacing buying a proper control desk for now, since I can somewhat easily deal with 32 channels via banking. Motorized faders are just because I am literally a child, though I am more of a fader-rider than some, so it works well for me. Being literate in MIDI and Mackie Control/HUI helps a lot, I haven't met a bit of software that can't be controlled through those 3 standards. I'm even custom programming the 1082 itself for some outboard gear. My requirements list was a bit funny, having good transport controls, a spinning shuttle wheel with scrub mode, some onboard infinite knobs, at least 4 mic in, 2 inserts, and cheap.

I generally like it, but its my first full feature control interface, so maybe I should have held out for the 003 at 5 times the price :v:

I will say this though: IEEE1394/Firewire is crap. I suppose it isn't, but its so deprecated in 2011 (80Mb/s slower than USB and FW800 is almost Apple only) that I can't see any interfaces having a reason to use it. Its an interface for a bygone era before we had high-bandwidth USB. Also no hot-swapping :(

Handen posted:

Wow it's almost like you're going for the exact same setup I had about three years ago. I had the tascam and ended up hating it because of its limited mobility and the fact that automation is just as easy to do without it. I also bought that exact loving desk, which unless you're a bit taller than the average person, your screen will be taller than you are and you'll be looking up all the time. I went back to a normal desk but keep that one on my left hand side with some rack gear and 4-channel TEAC A-2340 on the top shelf. It's a handy desk to have around, but it's too small to do anything serious with aside from using it as an extra surface and bedroom rackmount.

I have a very tall torso (and stubby legs!), as well as a display stand that can drop the display to its base, so I'm not too worried. Thanks for the input!

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 29, 2011

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
That's ignoring some of the very good benefits 1394a had that USB has never had, such as DMA. Speedwise 1394a vs USB2.0 High Speed usually sides in 1394a's corner because of the inherent overhead with using USB, negating the additional 80mbps.

It's a shame the 1394 conglomerate licensed themselves out of the market.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

The Electronaut posted:

That's ignoring some of the very good benefits 1394a had that USB has never had, such as DMA. Speedwise 1394a vs USB2.0 High Speed usually sides in 1394a's corner because of the inherent overhead with using USB, negating the additional 80mbps.

It's a shame the 1394 conglomerate licensed themselves out of the market.

Fair point, I didn't mention that the hardware itself was more aligned to low latency work. Its old enough (1995-ish?) that hot-swapping wasn't really on the radar, but nowadays its nearly indispensable. You'd never unplug something hot from a serial port or SCSI, but USB really drove home a new philosophy of peripherals.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I hotswap Firewire connections all the time(?) You mean like when a cable is pulled out, you lose connectivity with the interface and then you re-insert it and carry on? That happens nearly every time I do some recording on the go.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Got a Twin Reverb last night and it sounds fantastic. I guess this means it's time to sell my other amp.

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007
I have to get back to work, but I will try to take better pictures later. For now, I am supremely excited. This is a fantastic instrument, and a very nice complement to my Epiphone.

Shelley Park Modèle Encore with rosewood binding and Miller tuners (ebony buttons). http://www.parkguitars.com/

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just bought a Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver.

I know it's cliche, but goddamn it's SUCH a good pedal.

Seventh_Samurai
Jul 5, 2007
dick blick
I seriously love Ebay.

Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500M. Spruce top, mahogany back and sides. Sounds loving magical.

Squier Vintage Modified Mustang Bass. My very first bass. I was going to get a Rondo short-scale Jag, but this popped up and there really wasn't any contest. I'm playing it through this:

Peavey TKO80. Built like a tank and weighs a ton, but sounds good enough for me.

Family photo. Right to left: Masterbilt, Agile AL-3100, Danelectro DC-59, Teisco E-110, Mustang, Winston travel acoustic.

I also got a Boss DS-1, but everyone knows what those look like.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

After chaining myself to a home studio that never worked for 'x' years since falling ill, I'm finally able to take my music out for walks:

I've just traded in my Eigenharp Pico and purchased a Korg Micropiano

I had earlier dismissed it as a toy, especially considering it had no midi/usb out. However, this changed when I saw this video of someone really playing it.

So it has given birth to a silent concert idea, where I'll improvise pieces in inspirational public places, but performed using headphones... record the improvisations using camcorder and minidisc (recording the direct line out), dub the sound from the digital recording of the piano and make youtube videos.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
What purpose does the opening lid serve? Are there speakers inside?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

What purpose does the opening lid serve? Are there speakers inside?

Yes, there are 2 small speakers under the lid, or you have the option of using a 3.5mm line out/headphone socket for the sound. It can run on 6xAA batteries or 9V mains. Something I discovered after I purchased it is that it also has allows for half damping when used with a compatible damper pedal.

It's a lovely piece of kit :)

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I gave Dad the Bluesdriver for Father's Day. He loves it :3:

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
I have the Keeley modded BD-2. It will never leave me!

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
In the meantime, I'm after a set of Studio Monitors. Never looked at Monitors before, but I'm looking at the Alesis M1 Active 520 (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M1Active520/) or a pair of KRK Rokit 5 (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rokit5G2/).

Are there any other monitors I should consider? What should I know about studio monitors before buying them? I'll be hooking these up to a Focusrite Saffire Pro24 (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SaffPro24/).

Any information would be fantastic :)

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I got an EarthQuaker Devices "Ghost Echo" discounted because it's a blemish model (chip on the right hand side). Musical equipment people are crazy. Sell something for nearly half price because of a pencil-tip sized mark on the paint of an effects pedal...?

Oh well, win for me!

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 5, 2011

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I reckon about 60-70% of my gear has been bought for much less than RRP due it being 'ex-display'- off the top of my head this includes a Whammy 4, a Vox Time Machine, Boss SYB-5 and a Nocturn 25 Keyboard, all at LEAST £30 off RRP due to sitting out it's box on a shelf or a tiny scuff or similar.

Helldump Immunity
Sep 11, 2001

pretty much rollin with the dad farm these days

FancyMike posted:

My Rusty Box came in today! Going to have to just stare at it on my desk until I can get home to try it out though. According to the tracking number I should have some new flatwounds (La Bella) waiting for me when I get home too.

The Rusty Box is by far my favorite bass preamp. You will love it.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

NonzeroCircle posted:

I reckon about 60-70% of my gear has been bought for much less than RRP due it being 'ex-display'- off the top of my head this includes a Whammy 4, a Vox Time Machine, Boss SYB-5 and a Nocturn 25 Keyboard, all at LEAST £30 off RRP due to sitting out it's box on a shelf or a tiny scuff or similar.

I guess. Most of my gear is used so I haven't experienced the "blemished" discount much yet. This is why I want to find an old beat to pieces (not literally) Les Paul. I only care how it plays and sounds. It seems everyone else only cares about them not having any scratches or chips and won't touch anything they consider ugly.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

fuctifino posted:

I've just traded in my Eigenharp Pico and purchased a Korg Micropiano

Shamelessly quoting myself to say that the piano arrived today, and it is loving awesome! I haven't been able to stop playing it. The smaller keys were a challenge for the first hour or two, but now my fingers have adapted automatically to them. I'm finding that being able to stretch an octave+3 and more with one hand expands the possibilities hugely. The sound from the built-in speakers is a lot better than I ever imagined it to be. I can't rate this beast enough.

If you can do without USB/MIDI and just want an old-school keyboard instrument that sounds like a concert grand that you can carry around with you and play anywhere, then this is perfect.

I'll do a proper review when I have spent more time playing it :)

tl;dr It's not a toy.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 7, 2011

Battery Joe
Apr 12, 2007
talkin' shit about a pretty sunset
So I acquired this Korean Squire Telecaster today out of the blue. I was talking guitars with my dad and mentioned that I'd like to eventually get some kind of Telecaster with a flat neck like a les paul (you can kill me later for my lack of terminology and knowledge), rather than a rounded neck like most telecasters have. and he's like "oh man! Have I got a guitar for you!" and pretty much whips this thing out. I guess he just bought it a while ago for shits and giggles and now it's mine.

So it's korean and the serial number is KC 05027351. I cant really find much information about this run. Does anyone have any experience with these? It actually has quite a nice sound. Better than I thought it would since it has some kind of not-real-wood body I think.

Battery Joe fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 8, 2011

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

fuctifino posted:

Shamelessly quoting myself to say that the piano arrived today, and it is loving awesome! I haven't been able to stop playing it. The smaller keys were a challenge for the first hour or two, but now my fingers have adapted automatically to them. I'm finding that being able to stretch an octave+3 and more with one hand expands the possibilities hugely. The sound from the built-in speakers is a lot better than I ever imagined it to be. I can't rate this beast enough.

If you can do without USB/MIDI and just want an old-school keyboard instrument that sounds like a concert grand that you can carry around with you and play anywhere, then this is perfect.

I'll do a proper review when I have spent more time playing it :)

tl;dr It's not a toy.

So you can play an eleventh easily with one hand on that thing? That's got to open up a lot of possibilities when accompanying a right hand melody. Makes small keys sound very appealing

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Since I'm unoriginal and have a poor memory, the guy who bought one of these a couple of pages back reminded me how much I love old school swedish death metal tone (especially Dismember's Like An Everflowing Stream and the demo from Cult of Endtime, which you should all check out if you don't read the NMD metal thread). Can't wait to crank this up at rehearsal tonight.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Concatenation posted:

Since I'm unoriginal and have a poor memory, the guy who bought one of these a couple of pages back reminded me how much I love old school swedish death metal tone (especially Dismember's Like An Everflowing Stream and the demo from Cult of Endtime, which you should all check out if you don't read the NMD metal thread). Can't wait to crank this up at rehearsal tonight.

You seem to have found the perfect settings already.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
For being a non-gigger, I have certainly obtained quite a bit of gear in the past year. A few items are still on backorder, others are being traded out, and stuff will be coming in for the next two weeks. Sheeesh, I'm a little nutz.

This came in last night. All I can say is, wow, that's what I sound like? It's very very clean, very very clear.

Another shipment coming in today. Oh boy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Concatenation posted:

That was me, high five! :hfive:

I just snagged another sweet old Boss pedal

Clips of this one, the HM-2 and all my other OD's and fuzzes stacked together coming very soon (just moved into a new jam space, 24 hours loud as you want :D )

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
:hfive:

I spent some time after rehearsal dicking around with tones - I swear, at one point it sounded like someone was breaking bricks with a sledgehammer in my amp. I'm in love.

The thing is really, really sensitive though, especially to small changes in the H knob. I think I'm going to use it more as a boost for my amp rather than the full Entombed everything-to-11 buzzsaw sound, as much as I love that. Still blown away that the same company released the appalling buzzbox that is the MT2 though.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

ethan posted:

The Fuzz II mode would be pretty awesome if it didn't scoop out all the mids, I wonder if it could be modded?

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

W424 posted:

The Fuzz II mode would be pretty awesome if it didn't scoop out all the mids, I wonder if it could be modded?

I'm hoping stacking it with a fairly middy sounding distortion or fuzz will fill the sound out a bit. I'm positive running it alongside my LSTR will yield some pretty sweet results.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

W424 posted:

Hey now. Wait a minute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZooxrFI5MuM

It worked for them. ;)

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

It rules on bass!

I don't feel like doing a big write-up but I'm really impressed with the range of sounds you can get out of it, and there's zero loss of low-end. You don't even have to crank up the bass control to get "unity bass" :lol: but you can boost it further if you want.
Works well as a clean boost too. Not 100% clean, maybe, but really quite versatile. I really missed having an OD-type pedal. If you max out the drive it gets pretty fuzzy too. Also, doesn't sound like butt even with the treble set up there! As always, fun into or after fuzz.

I was looking forward to it, but still wasn't sure how well it would work on bass -- it's superb. Sounds poo poo-hot into the t00bz.
I'll try and remember to make a bad demo once I get a mic preamp.

Sarah Cenia fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 11, 2011

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Catastrophe posted:

Hey now. Wait a minute.

It worked for them. ;)

And that's pretty much why I haven't sold mine despite never using it.
I'd just want to mod it to have switches to not scoop the mids and disable the gate.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Catastrophe posted:

Hey now. Wait a minute.

It worked for them. ;)

I'm pretty sure this was running into a Sound City 120 with the active mids control cranked up though. I can definitely get the Dopethrone sounds with a FZ-2 and a loud amp but keeping that sound when the band is playing can be difficult.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.
Man, it's been a long time since I could post anything in here. Consequence of being a grad student with no money, I guess.

But I just ordered one of these (used, they're out of production). Line 6 Variax 700 acoustic.

I figure if it sucks, I'll just sell it. They look to be holding their used value pretty well, lately.

Anybody have any experience playing these? I've seen and heard really good things about them.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I've spent way too much on plastic* recently:

*I think the pickguards are actually plexiglass, but close enough

I have two late 70's 4001 basses that I'm trying to fix up, and after months of looking for pickguards I finally decided to just pony up for a couple from Pickguardian.com. Luckily they are well made and fit fine so I should have just done this from the start. I already had a black truss rod cover, and the basses are black and natural (stripped finish, I may repaint it something else). The black one is closer to working condition, so I need to decide which looks better:

I think the white and yellowed finish over the binding don't mix too well, though the black looks too shiny compared to the faded paint. I'll probably stick with the black, and put the chrome pickup cover on to further distract from it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think it looks great with the black.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

DrChu posted:

natural (stripped finish, I may repaint it something else).

Sparkly green on the top. Leave the back natural, maybe stain a little darker. This is basically my dream bass.