Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Anyone having issues with their 5th gen AEBS becoming invisible to the configuration utility as well as not being able to connect to a USB HD shared via it? Rebooting the base station solves the problem but it's been happening a lot on mine.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

coldplay chiptunes posted:

This might not be the exact place to ask, but does anyone know anything about TV Tuners for an iMac? Looking around online and not really coming up with much. Is there a clear favorite out there or can anyone share their experiences?
Elgato was mentioned earlier, I think they're the only one that really supports the Mac. You can get some other tuner and buy Elgato's software separately, but price wise a lot of times it's a better deal just to buy their hardware/software bundle (which is just rebranded stuff usually).

Other things to consider are what kind of TV signal you want to use: digital over the air ("OTA"), analog cable, or digital cable which can be unencrypted (ClearQAM) or encrypted (need CableCard), which varies by carrier or channels. A lot of newer cheaper tuners are digital only, so if you have analog cable you'll want to keep an eye out for that. For digital cable most only do unencrypted signals, while more CableCard stuff is just coming out...but Macs aren't supported yet (no clue about Windows in a Virtual Machine though). From what I've heard most cable companies are encrypting everything but the local channels, or at least everything but basic.

Edit- a little more now that I'm back at an actual keyboard, if you just want either digital OTA or unencrypted cable (not both at once, and no analog), the HDHomeRun HR3 unit should work. It works over the network (stick it anywhere on your LAN rather than directly over USB) and has two tuners, working with one coax cable running to it. Elgato sells this with their software for about $150, vs $100 for hardware and $80 for software separately (not sure if you need a guide subscription too). For analog (or other digital ones) I'm not sure, but Elgato has a big list of compatible tuners here if you want to see whichever random tuner works with them.

Just remembered another possible software option, MythTV (and maybe SageTV, but looks like Google bought/ate that one).

japtor fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 12, 2011

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
In case anyone here might be interested, I'm selling my 2010 13" MacBook Pro in SA-Mart.

I just rarely use it. My iPad's too convenient for mobile use.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I'm probably buying a new Air soon. Starting with this machine I'd like to stay up-to-date with each new version. I understand this requires that I sell the older version before the release of the new one to maximize value. MacRumors looks to have a good idea of when upgrades will come, so that's fine.

How do I deal with AppleCare, though? Would I have to buy it for each new machine?

Any tips for doing this are greatly appreciated. Seems like it's very well possible.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Apple is really dropping the ball with Macbook Air supplies. I sold my MBA weeks ago with hopes of picking up the new 13 inch model and they still haven't refreshed it at BB. Sounds like other non-Apple retailers are either sold out or are jacking the price up to above-reasonable prices.

I can't push myself to just pick up a 13inch pro either. Anyone know of any news that I haven't seen on limited supplies?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Abel Wingnut posted:

I'm probably buying a new Air soon. Starting with this machine I'd like to stay up-to-date with each new version. I understand this requires that I sell the older version before the release of the new one to maximize value. MacRumors looks to have a good idea of when upgrades will come, so that's fine.

How do I deal with AppleCare, though? Would I have to buy it for each new machine?

Any tips for doing this are greatly appreciated. Seems like it's very well possible.
Well updates will probably happen within a year more or less. If it happens within a year, :dance: you won't have to bother with AppleCare since you'll still be under the normal warranty. On the other hand if an update is taking a long time you can either roll the dice for however long (could be a few weeks, maybe months) or just buy AppleCare before the first year is up. When you sell it the AppleCare transfers with the computer and you should be able to add a little premium to the selling price.

JP Money posted:

Anyone know of any news that I haven't seen on limited supplies?
I vaguely recall seeing a few stories about them selling like hotcakes and supplies running low, so it's not just you. Just found this while searching Google News, a few weeks old but the situation is still similar now I guess. Maybe they're all going to :china:.

japtor fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 13, 2011

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

JP Money posted:

Apple is really dropping the ball with Macbook Air supplies. I sold my MBA weeks ago with hopes of picking up the new 13 inch model and they still haven't refreshed it at BB. Sounds like other non-Apple retailers are either sold out or are jacking the price up to above-reasonable prices.

I can't push myself to just pick up a 13inch pro either. Anyone know of any news that I haven't seen on limited supplies?

They're selling like crazy and priority is given to Apple stores. I waited like a month for mine to arrive from Amazon, but saving $350 off the price and no tax was worth it with that coupon code they had a month ago.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

JP Money posted:

My Best Buy stores got them almost immediately, and Apple has them in stock right now on their website. It's really not that difficult to get an Air right now, as many posters in this thread (and YOSPOS) can attest to. Third-party retailers might be more difficult, but that's not terribly surprising.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

This is a longshot but does anyone want to trade a 2011 iMac for a 2011 13" MBP? It's like mint and stuff.

Then I'll sell my base model 2010 11" Air and buy a 2011 11" Air.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.

DoktorLoken posted:

Anyone having issues with their 5th gen AEBS becoming invisible to the configuration utility as well as not being able to connect to a USB HD shared via it? Rebooting the base station solves the problem but it's been happening a lot on mine.

Happens all the time with my 2011 air and time capsule. It's really annoying, because the time capsule's drive will just disappear. These kinds of things are supposed to just work, justifying all the extra money I pay to have a fully apple household. I have to laugh when I launch airport utility (while connected to the internet via said time capsule) and the airport utility reports no apple base stations within range. Because within 20 feet I also have 2 airport expresses hooked up to a printer and speakers. Nice.

edit: also this is probably more a software than hardware thing.

ndrake fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 13, 2011

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Just ordered my girlfriend her first Mac, a 13 inch MBA. :feelsgoodman:

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
My MBA's magsafe charger has a short in the wire, looks like it's time for the little guy's first genius appointment. Seeing as I can interrupt charging just by wiggling the wire a bit, hopefully they won't give me much trouble with getting it replaced.

This is my first experience with the 'traffic light' magsafe cord - are they more incident prone than the previous kind, or did I just get a lemon?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

This is a longshot but does anyone want to trade a 2011 iMac for a 2011 13" MBP? It's like mint and stuff.

Then I'll sell my base model 2010 11" Air and buy a 2011 11" Air.

Wait, do you have the iMac or the MBP?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FCKGW posted:

Wait, do you have the iMac or the MBP?

MBP 13"

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Has anyone upgraded the RAM on a new-model iMac? What type of RAM does it actually take? Apple's support page says 204-pin in one page and 200-pin in another.

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003
I have. It's 204. That is probably a copy-paste gone wrong. 200 pin is DDR2.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Thanks. Doesn't help that I decided to be dyslexic and bought 240-pin :doh:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Space Racist posted:

My MBA's magsafe charger has a short in the wire, looks like it's time for the little guy's first genius appointment. Seeing as I can interrupt charging just by wiggling the wire a bit, hopefully they won't give me much trouble with getting it replaced.

This is my first experience with the 'traffic light' magsafe cord - are they more incident prone than the previous kind, or did I just get a lemon?

The traffic light? Haven't all apple power adapters had green/orange LEDs to show charging status since before magsafe? You are pretty certain to get a replacement without much hassle.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

fleshweasel posted:

The traffic light? Haven't all apple power adapters had green/orange LEDs to show charging status since before magsafe? You are pretty certain to get a replacement without much hassle.

He means the L-Shaped adapter vs. the T-Shaped adapter.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
512gb Apple SSD for Mac/Book Pro - $950 shipped.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3435945

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

DoktorLoken posted:

Not at all having this problem. I've replaced my 4th generation one with a new 5th generation one and am using the older one to extend the network. I'm sharing a USB HD on the 5th generation model for Time Machine backups.

Is it at all possible that your wireless channels are crowded by other people? I have about 10-15 802.11g networks around me, but no other 802.11n ones (and that's what I'm using at 5GHz).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Eegah posted:

Has anyone upgraded the RAM on a new-model iMac?
Same RAM as the laptops.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

HifiSerious posted:

The BookYard carries a lot of Mac spares and some OWC products. I think this is what you're looking for?

Only just saw this reply. Thanks so much; that's absolutely perfect!

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I'm having an argument about harddrive speed with a friend: He says that two external drives in a Lacie RAID-0 box, connected to the computer via FW800 is faster than the internal (MacBook Pro) 7200 RPM harddrive. This is bullshit, right? FW800 is a huge bottleneck on the external drives, so the RAID-0 doesn't matter at all.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

The FW800 RAID-0 might finish certain read-only tasks before the single internal HDD, but that wouldn't have me booting from external or anything.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
What's the best way to clean a macbook air's screen?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
It may have been true 5+ years ago when driver were slower and laptop drives doubly so. Plus, laptop internal drives were often 5400 rpm with 7200 rpm as an optional extra.
I definitely remember people using that "common knowledge" for their PS scratch disks and the like.

But yeah, can't see it being true anymore now that even laptop drives are faster than the 100 MB/sec theoretical maximum of FW800.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

kuskus posted:

The FW800 RAID-0 might finish certain read-only tasks before the single internal HDD, but that wouldn't have me booting from external or anything.

I just found out that the Blackmagic Disk Speed Test is available for free in the App Store, so I just went ahead and tried it out. The completely empty WD MyBook Studio 2x1TB drive in RAID-0, connected via FW800 read at a maximum of 72 MB/s. The internal 500 GB, 7200 RPM MacBook Pro drive (with only 20 GB free) read at 81 MB/s. It's not a massive difference but it's there.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

^^^ Ack! Beaten

FLX posted:

I'm having an argument about harddrive speed with a friend: He says that two external drives in a Lacie RAID-0 box, connected to the computer via FW800 is faster than the internal (MacBook Pro) 7200 RPM harddrive. This is bullshit, right? FW800 is a huge bottleneck on the external drives, so the RAID-0 doesn't matter at all.

This was true in the past on laptops and the Mini, because they had small, slower HD's and you'd get better performance by upgrading to a 7200 RPM 3.5" external.

His RAID-0 box could only possibly be faster on smaller random transfers, his read/write speeds on large transfers should be over the capacity of FW800 with almost any 250GB+ 7200RPM drive.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Correct. The best you can do at that capacity is this guy, which will probably end up faster than your old 500 GB drive anyway.

This is from way back, but I ordered the drive and I'll do a speed test on it as soon as it gets here. A web review I read said something about 120 MB/s read speed though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I've booted my Macbook Pro from an Intel SSD in a USB enclosure and I didn't notice much difference. The seek times and small transfers must have made up for it.

I didn't do real work though, I just surfed for a little bit, copied some settings/passwords to dropbox and downloaded a couple things that I forgot to earlier.

oskmagnet
Oct 14, 2007

Hey everyone. I reside in Canada and I have heard rumours of certain macbook pro models, (the one I have I think) where the battery was defective. I have a MacbookPro3,1 from 3-4 years ago. My cycle count is 172 and it is telling me to "Service Battery." Will I have to pay for this replacement? Is this the defective battery I have heard of? Thanks for your time.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Unless the battery is bulging and on the verge of exploding, then no you won't get a free battery.

oskmagnet
Oct 14, 2007

Thanks. Can you explain to me what the service battery warning means then?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

oskmagnet posted:

Thanks. Can you explain to me what the service battery warning means then?
It means your battery has served dutifully and is now in need of replacing.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
with an air or any macbook, when I charge it, should I always be using the heavy duty extender that comes with it?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

rear end Catchcum posted:

with an air or any macbook, when I charge it, should I always be using the heavy duty extender that comes with it?
It doesn't matter. If Apple wanted you to always use the grounded plug, the wouldn't give you an option.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Unless the battery is bulging and on the verge of exploding, then no you won't get a free battery.

Not necessarily, I got an explanation from a Genius when my battery did the same thing, there is basically a cycle count/current capacity standard that they are supposed to perform to, and if they're lower than that you might get a free replacement, bulging or not. I don't remember what the numbers were, so you'll have to ask and find out.

Take it to the Apple Store or call AppleCare and find out if they'll replace it before going off to buy your own.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Can someone tell me when my limited warranty on the MBA I just bought started? I ordered it from Amazon on August 7th, was charged for the purchase September 8th, and had it delivered on September 12th.

I put in the serial number on Apple's site under Services, but the system instead wants me to register my product and put in the 'date of purchase' so they can determine when my coverage starts. What should I put in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I would do the "Shipped" date. It's the most prominent on any Amazon invoice.