Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Roundabout Route posted:

I hate to be the guy who asks this, but people have been taking about these Strongholds for pages now, and judging from what is being said it is unlikely I'll stumble across one by accident, so...could someone kindly explain to me what exactly a Stronghold looks like? Is it like a huge castle sitting abandoned and ready for occupation or is it some sort of enemy base you must siege and conquer? Or maybe a cavern/mountain with a particular size and shape?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXjW2nn_m-0

A huge underground dungeon with treasure, special premade rooms, and silverfish-infested blocks. Silverfish blocks look like regular ones but if you mine one a silverfish pops out, and hostile silverfish will call other silverfish out of their blocks to attack as well.

also in this video: simon and lewis screaming like girls when getting attacked by silverfish, new explosion animation, giant mushrooms

President Ark fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Looks like Ark got ninja'd by Tracula.

Anyway in the Yogscast video, they did not enter the stronghold via normal means, but a tunnel the map provider made. Strongholds I think usually have a surface entrance somewhere in the world.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

President Ark posted:

also in this video: simon and lewis screaming like girls when getting attacked by silverfish, new explosion animation, giant mushrooms

I think we all knew what would happen when Simon started building bridges out of TNT.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

ThndrShk2k posted:

Looks like Ark got ninja'd by Tracula.

Yeah, but I'm at the top of the page, therefore I win! :shepface:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Is there a reason why on my SMP server, no one can destroy any blocks in the Nether at all? It's very strange. It's not spawn protection I'm pretty sure, since it persisted after I opped everyone, as well as when we moved well out of range of spawn.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So: underwater ravines are completely amazing.

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?
Mushroom houses are loving awesome. Stick a red mushroom on top of a brown mushroom and clear out the red mushroom's stem, and you get a badass house with room for all the amenities (including bed) and a balcony. Run a ladder up the brown mushroom's stem and you're basically set. Good way to make outposts!

downside is that now that I can live in a giant mushroom there is basically no reason to build any other kind of structure.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Zorak posted:

Is there a reason why on my SMP server, no one can destroy any blocks in the Nether at all? It's very strange. It's not spawn protection I'm pretty sure, since it persisted after I opped everyone, as well as when we moved well out of range of spawn.

I'm having the same problem.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Coach Sport posted:

Mushroom houses are loving awesome. Stick a red mushroom on top of a brown mushroom and clear out the red mushroom's stem, and you get a badass house with room for all the amenities (including bed) and a balcony. Run a ladder up the brown mushroom's stem and you're basically set. Good way to make outposts!

downside is that now that I can live in a giant mushroom there is basically no reason to build any other kind of structure.

You could go crazy with them and create mushroom castles?

perhaps an entire kingdom.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Zorak posted:

I had the same problem. I was able to blow through nether blocks using TNT, but it's difficult to get an upward angle with it.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Dr Snofeld posted:

I think we all knew what would happen when Simon started building bridges out of TNT.

OK that was pretty loving funny.

edit: wtf is with silverfish that looks sucky

glug fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 13, 2011

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Thank you to this thread for introducing me to that SCP series site. I have been reading it for hours.

deadly mawk
Sep 7, 2010

glug posted:

Personally, I'm looking forward to building a standing structure entirely out of silverfish blocks and tricking someone into breaking a wall.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

glug posted:

OK that was pretty loving funny.

They only appear in the stronghold. Seems like a good way to encourage people to explore and be cautious about just digging through walls to get around obstacles - you never know when you might disturb the hive. :ohdear:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
How come I don't get a hunger bar on my 1.8 :(

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

MeinGott posted:

How come I don't get a hunger bar on my 1.8 :(

If your texture pack doesn't have a texture for it it doesn't show up.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I think there may be something flaky about the terrain generation in 1.8. Well, in the current 1.8 leak that's available right now. I started a creative world, went to the nether and flew out to x -3000 or so, and then ported back in. The exit portal was floating high up above endless seas. I flew a while in the normal world, getting nothing but spotty islands, then went back to the nether and went another thousand out, came back, got the same.

I did this 4 or 5 times (and god is chunk generation grindy when you're flying along above the nether... I thought my PC was going to implode) and every time I came back it was just water with tiny islands. Though one time a portal came out in an underground ravine below the ocean, which was pretty neat.

It's like once it gets past a certain point the terrain generation gets confused about height and starts squishing everything down below sea level. This might explain the giant water worlds that people are finding, as well.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

I think there may be something flaky about the terrain generation in 1.8. Well, in the current 1.8 leak that's available right now. I started a creative world, went to the nether and flew out to x -3000 or so, and then ported back in. The exit portal was floating high up above endless seas. I flew a while in the normal world, getting nothing but spotty islands, then went back to the nether and went another thousand out, came back, got the same.

I did this 4 or 5 times (and god is chunk generation grindy when you're flying along above the nether... I thought my PC was going to implode) and every time I came back it was just water with tiny islands. Though one time a portal came out in an underground ravine below the ocean, which was pretty neat.

It's like once it gets past a certain point the terrain generation gets confused about height and starts squishing everything down below sea level. This might explain the giant water worlds that people are finding, as well.

That's not what happens when the mapper gets confused by going out too far. This is what happens when you go too far. poo poo gets noneuclidean.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

If your texture pack doesn't have a texture for it it doesn't show up.

:downs: Oh!

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

President Ark posted:

That's not what happens when the mapper gets confused by going out too far. This is what happens when you go too far. poo poo gets noneuclidean.

Yeah I've heard about that before. That's the idea that started me out flying off in the nether. I was vaguely curious if it would be possible with easy flying in creative mode in 1.8, but I quickly realized that would still take literal days before I even got close. So that's why I just started popping out to see what generated.

Also that page mentions this:

Minecraft Wiki posted:

It is possible that the farlands will be removed in 1.8, as traveling there via NBTEdit will lead to the terrain generating oceans until the point where there is nothing but water.

So yeah maybe I should have just read that first. :saddowns:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
If you don't like ocean worlds there are plenty of seeds with large landmasses at the spawn.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

ThndrShk2k posted:

... Strongholds I think usually have a surface entrance somewhere in the world.
Not required; I just found the stronghold in the world I'm running right now and it's at least 20 blocks below the surface, no entrance.

Clothes Optional
Oct 3, 2004
This update is almost everything I ever wanted. The terrain generation is so much better. Oceans 0wn. Its a little more like Wurm now, and that is a great thing.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

That Indianna Jones seed is awesome. Spawned next to a big ole lava fall. I forgot how ugly the default textures are though :(

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Yeah, I'm really loving finding cool islands. I found a fantastic island on my server tonight, big enough to take a couple minutes to walk around, but small enough that it's obviously an island when you're on it. It's super mountainous and has awesome terrain, and only a couple sparse trees, with lots of animals. :3

Big (and DEEP) oceans are great, also loving the ghost towns. We've been colonizing and renovating them. Now the only thing we need are water monsters. Make you stick on a landmass till you have the proper materials to head off into the horizon.

bout it flautist
Dec 25, 2005

Sometimes it's lonely being the only sock.
With the oceans now, we need the coral reef mod in the game. And mermaid dungeons. :cool:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Is there any way to get an interaction between chests and pistons? I want to have a chest in the floor and then move it upwards into view. I have the distinct feeling I'm screwed, but I figured I'd poll the hivemind. Cheers.

V - Ah, figures. Alright, will do that, thanks.

Orv fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 13, 2011

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

Orv posted:

Is there any way to get an interaction between chests and pistons? I want to have a chest in the floor and then move it upwards into view. I have the distinct feeling I'm screwed, but I figured I'd poll the hivemind. Cheers.

Tiles with additional data cannot be moved, like furnaces, dispensers, etc. You could have some blocks retract to reveal it if you wanted though.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
I'd love it if we eventually got the chance to dye glass panes.

I mean, the dyes are there and junk - then I can make pixel art stained glass windows.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I'd love it if we eventually got the chance to dye glass panes.

I mean, the dyes are there and junk - then I can make pixel art stained glass windows.

And have any light that goes through it be colored. Or just have the ability to dye torches and glowstone.

I want my unholy bedrock fortress wreathed in purple light already :black101:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Minarchist posted:

And have any light that goes through it be colored. Or just have the ability to dye torches and glowstone.

I want my unholy bedrock fortress wreathed in purple light already :black101:

Does the glowing wool trick still work?

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

:jeb: I've updated Quandary for use with 1.8! :jeb:

In case you're running 1.8 already and you wanted Quandary. It is understandably in testing, but if anyone would like to grab screens, I'll be happy to use them on the website when 1.8 goes live.

Until then, here's the download file for all six seasons:
http://www.retributiongames.com/quandary/files/Quandary_4.2.zip

Enjoy! Thanks for being great to the pack, goons! Tomorrow is Quandary's first birthday. I can't believe it's been a year. :)

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

ExtraNoise posted:

:jeb: I've updated Quandary for use with 1.8! :jeb:

In case you're running 1.8 already and you wanted Quandary. It is understandably in testing, but if anyone would like to grab screens, I'll be happy to use them on the website when 1.8 goes live.

Until then, here's the download file for all six seasons:
http://www.retributiongames.com/quandary/files/Quandary_4.2.zip

Enjoy! Thanks for being great to the pack, goons! Tomorrow is Quandary's first birthday. I can't believe it's been a year. :)

:toot: the default textures were the only things i hated about playing 1.8. Let me have your retarded manbabies.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bout it flautist posted:

With the oceans now, we need the coral reef mod in the game. :cool:

Honestly, I'm a little suprised coral reefs and tropical biomes (what would a blocky palm tree look like?) haven't made it in to the game yet. A tropical biome would be, what? Mostly sand, desert scrub brush, palm trees, coconuts, and no hills more than 8 blocks above sea level? And coral. Now I just need a crafting recipe for a snorkle and I'm set :)

EightBit posted:

Does the glowing wool trick still work?

Wool still glows if backlit in 1.8; I didn't see any change in the color of the light though.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Sep 13, 2011

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

bout it flautist posted:

With the oceans now, we need the coral reef mod in the game. And mermaid dungeons. :cool:

If KodaichiZero haven't made a mermaid mod yet, it can't be for lack of trying.

But I'd love it if it was easier and more attractive to explore the sea. Underwater castles and ruins, shipwrecks and perhaps rare blocks that only spawn underwater.

Man, I really should learn java. I'd make awesome mods:downs:

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

President Ark posted:

Actually, in 1.8, no matter how far out you get, you just get infinite oceans past 3,000,000 x or y, apparently.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kurtjmac

This does not bode well for Kurt J. Mac, the guy doing "Far Lands or Bust" in which he raises money for charity while walking to the far lands.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
You know what sucks? Fighting your way through a skeleton dungeon. In a mine. There's a blue spider spawner in the same room as the dungeon, too. There's the Chest.

The chest has no loot.

e: great googly moogly

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Sep 13, 2011

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lavender Philtrum posted:

Actually, in 1.8, no matter how far out you get, you just get infinite oceans past 3,000,000 x or y, apparently.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kurtjmac

This does not bode well for Kurt J. Mac, the guy doing "Far Lands or Bust" in which he raises money for charity while walking to the far lands.

do you know this guy's minecraft account name by any chance? I tried plugging his youtube name in to http://www.minershoes.com but no luck. that's a fantastic doctor who skin he's got there :3:

edit: i'm looking for the one on the left in particular - http://www.twitpic.com/31ew97

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Sep 13, 2011

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Dungeons and Strongholds would really benefit from better loot. Risking your life for two bits of string, an apple and a pile of sulphur just doesn't seem worth it.
Perhaps in the strongholds have some sort of rule, that dictates the farther down, the better loot? That would make it more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Can someone give me a seed for some nice hills? I dont like flat plain lands.

e; Im dumb and didnt see the "post awesome seeds" thread.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Sep 13, 2011