Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Why did they intentionally misspell argument

Brits...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I'm in the middle of Best Served Cold and something big just happened, normally I'd just wait and see but this is my favorite character in the series so I need to do know:

Is Nicomo Cosca actually dead? I ask because he has nine lives and I don't count deaths in these books unless someone chops off a head

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Why did they intentionally misspell argument

Haha, I didn't even notice that. You can't even claim it's a Brit thing because it's not spelled that way on Gollancz's webpage.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm in the middle of Best Served Cold and something big just happened, normally I'd just wait and see but this is my favorite character in the series so I need to do know:

Is Nicomo Cosca actually dead? I ask because he has nine lives and I don't count deaths in these books unless someone chops off a head

spoiler about Nicomo Cosca in Best Served Cold

No he isn't actually dead and you will see him again later in the book

Edit: I am doing a re-read of the series and I'm at Best Served Cold and I got to say this book isn't as great on re-reads. I really liked it the first time around but most of the characters that are introduced are just really unlikable. The characters I do like (Nicomo and Shivers) are characters from the original series. The only new character I like is Friendly and that's mostly due to his interactions with Nicomo.

Most of the other characters range from bland to uninteresting and even annoying. I want to skip any chapter from Morveer's point of view and Monza is just a bitch.

There just isn't any characters of Glokta's or Logan's level of quality. Though I got to admit I really really love Nicomo in this book, his character is so much better then it was in The First Law and he was really enjoyable in that trilogy as well.

I guess Shenkt was a main new character as well but we see so little of him it's hard to really say if I liked him or not, I guess I just really don't have any opinion on him yet. I hope we see more of him in upcoming books.

Clinton1011 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 13, 2011

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Man, I loved Morveer and the fact that he actually got to become Styria's version of the Bogey Man was the best thing.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.
I kind of felt bad for Mauthis in BCS. Yeah, he was in the room when everything went down, but he didn't plan anything or involved in anyway then just being the money man.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KillRoy posted:

I kind of felt bad for Mauthis in BCS. Yeah, he was in the room when everything went down, but he didn't plan anything or involved in anyway then just being the money man.

Yeah, me too. But it did make for a great read.
"Uh, hey, Morveer, why the gently caress are all of the clerks dying?!"
"Well, I couldn't be sure which ledger he'd use this morning, so I poisoned all of them."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Yadoppsi posted:

Yeah, Stranger-Come-Knocking and his band are wild men from east of the Crimea river.

Holy poo poo...Crimea River. That's it, humour is officially over. The best pun has been found.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

thatbastardken posted:

Holy poo poo...Crimea River. That's it, humour is officially over. The best pun has been found.

Could someone explain the pun to the idiot.

<~~~~ The idiot.

Edit: wow just wow, how can I not see that when reading the name. There has to be something wrong with my brain.

Clinton1011 fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 15, 2011

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

Clinton1011 posted:

Could someone explain the pun to the idiot.

<~~~~ The idiot.

Cry me a river.

This is some Low-key Lyesmith level poo poo

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just finished Best Served Cold, thought it was fantastic and far better overall than The First Law. I can see how it would rub some readers the wrong way though, there isn't really a "good" character to get behind most of the time. Going to start on The Heroes this weekend, any word on what hes working on now?

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool

The Gunslinger posted:

any word on what hes working on now?

Something which may well appeal to someone with your user name, set in the same world but moving to the south this time. The current working title is ' (A) Red Country', possibly without the A. He's aiming for a fantasy story heavily influenced by westerns which should be interesting.

A couple of Joe's blog entries for you on the new book:

Can you tell what it is yet?
A Red Country

Jekub fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 16, 2011

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

I can see how it would rub some readers the wrong way though

I did go on a bit of a rant there but I got to say over all I still really like the book. It just wasn't as good on a re-read as The First law trilogy was. It might be my least favorite book he has written but its still better then most of my favorite books in the Fantasy genre and that just shows how great Abercrombie is as a writer.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
It's surprising coming from someone who has had some of the best titles in fantasy, but (A) Red Country is (A) Terrible Title.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004

reflir posted:

Cry me a river.

This is some Low-key Lyesmith level poo poo

I don't think I've ever felt stupider reading a book then I did when I found out Low Key was Loki.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

It's surprising coming from someone who has had some of the best titles in fantasy, but (A) Red Country is (A) Terrible Title.

Not at all. Gets the point across pretty well. I do prefer it without the 'A' though.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

onefish posted:

Not at all. Gets the point across pretty well. I do prefer it without the 'A' though.

Oh, it "works", mechanically. It just feels weird. They're both kind of generic words, and "country" ... I don't know. It just doesn't flow as well or have the same feel as The Blade Itself or Before They Are Hanged.

I get that he was playing Red Dead Redemption, and it's a western, but I really don't like the flow of it. Maybe it's different with a UK accent.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

KillRoy posted:

I don't think I've ever felt stupider reading a book then I did when I found out Low Key was Loki.

You ain't alone. I had to close the book and double face palm.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
I think the title Red Country is pretty cool. I think he should go with All the Pretty Coscas though.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Please, no more Cosca. He had a fantastic story in The First Law trilogy and was, by far, my favorite character of that series despite his relatively short role. I felt his character was ultimately harmed in Best Served Cold. I loved the poo poo out of Cosca, but I really don't want to see him again. Joe does a great job with character progression and he (usually) ends them in the best possible places.

The Wire spoiler. Really, don't mouse over this. Or, uhh, quote this post if you haven't watched The Wire since you'll end up seeing the spoiler text: Like Omar buying cigarettes at a corner store, then getting shot in the back of the head by an eight year old. That was the best and only way Omar could have gone. A glorious shootout would not have been a fulfilling ending for him.

Please stop trying to bring back characters. :(

Bummey fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 19, 2011

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Yea I loved the way he ended Logan's arc, while I would like to see more of the character he really shouldn't be brought back due to how well his story ended.

I do hope we see more Glokta though, I loving love that character and can't wait for another book with him in it.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Bummey posted:

Please, no more Cosca. He had a fantastic story in The First Law trilogy and was, by far, my favorite character of that series despite his relatively short role. I felt his character was ultimately harmed in Best Served Cold. I loved the poo poo out of Cosca, but I really don't want to see him again. Joe does a great job with character progression and he (usually) ends them in the best possible places.

The Wire spoiler. Really, don't mouse over this. Or, uhh, quote this post if you haven't watched The Wire since you'll end up seeing the spoiler text: Like Omar buying cigarettes at a corner store, then getting shot in the back of the head by an eight year old. That was the best and only way Omar could have gone. A glorious shootout would not have been a fulfilling ending for him.

Please stop trying to bring back characters. :(

Im the opposite. I thought he had little depth in the First Law and loved him in Best Served Cold. Different strokes I guess. I also really liked the Day/Moreveer relationship in that book, especially the way it ended.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Clinton1011 posted:

Yea I loved the way he ended Logan's arc, while I would like to see more of the character he really shouldn't be brought back due to how well his story ended.

I do hope we see more Glokta though, I loving love that character and can't wait for another book with him in it.

Here's what I think, again.

Louis CK is probably the best living comedian. One of his most important, and self imposed rules, is that at the end of the year he throws away his previous act. This makes him create an entirely new set, from the ground up, for the next year. It is what has allowed him to get better as a comedian because it keeps him from stagnating, always coming up with new material. He also says that he'll occasionally tell his best bit right from the start, forcing him to really bring out a performance for the rest of the show. I've seen him live half a dozen times and he never fails to impress.

I like Abercrombie for the same reasons. He's (mostly) not afraid to ditch the very well loved characters from a previous series and create a (mostly) new cast for the next book. I don't want to see the same characters over and over. So many other authors have made these long, grinding series that end up going on for more than a dozen books, but never actually going anywhyere: Jordan, GRRM :rolleyes: , Goodkind, etc. It encourages complacency. Cameos are fine if done properly (Dogman in Heroes), or taking background characters and bringing them into the spotlight (Calder in Heroes), but relying on established characters over and over can't be good for a writer's developmental processes.

BananaNutkins posted:

Im the opposite. I thought he had little depth in the First Law and loved him in Best Served Cold. Different strokes I guess. I also really liked the Day/Moreveer relationship in that book, especially the way it ended.

Morveer was great. For all his talk of being the greatest poisonmaster the world has ever known, he totally followed through. I was chalking him down as all bluster for most of the book, but that.. you know. That one part. Man. Morveer was a great character.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 20, 2011

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

I just finished the mistborn series in like 2 weeks, and I have a huge gaping hole in my soul now that it's over. Is Ambercrombie a good place to go from here?

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Bummey posted:

Morveer was great. For all his talk of being the greatest poisonmaster the world has ever known, he totally followed through. I was chalking him down as all bluster for most of the book, but that.. you know. That one part. Man. Morveer was a great character.

For all my hate of the character I have to admit his arc is really well done. He is so well written you just have to hate him since he is so unlikable.

Sloop
Jun 1, 2003

Umph posted:

I just finished the mistborn series in like 2 weeks, and I have a huge gaping hole in my soul now that it's over. Is Ambercrombie a good place to go from here?

Abercrombie is very different from Sanderson. Sanderson writes amazing settings and one-dimensional characters, Abercrombie writes amazing characters in a pretty generic setting. For what it's worth though, I read and loved both.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
My biggest problem with Cosca was that I could tell that the author really really loved him, which basically gave him giant impenetrable plot armor. At no point in Best Served Cold was I at all expecting him to die and even at the end when he fakes drinking poison or whatever I was basically just waiting for him to pop up and give an excuse to keep living. It took a lot of the tension out of scenes for me.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Count me amongst the few that thought Cosca really died the first time.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Me too! I was heartbroken. Fell for it hook, line and sinker.

And what Bummey says about characters is spot on.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I actually really like Abercrombie's style with characters. He leaves you wanting more. I know I spent half my time reading the Heroes waiting for Logen to appear, and the other half trying to find clues to whether or not he is or if he was still alive. After his new book, he will have fleshed out almost all of his work (The Union,The North,Syria,Dagoska, Old Empire, and now Ghurkel), hopefully his book after that wraps up the whole overarching plot. I also hope Bayaz gets raped with a fork. Knowing Abercrombie, he will leave us with a bunch of character cliffhangers and laugh his way to the bank.

KillRoy fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Sep 20, 2011

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I would really like to see a magician or wizard type character. I was hoping he was going to turn Malicous Quai (or however you spell that) into someone really cool, but well, he turned out to be the dog's dinner.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Whenever I find a new author I like I normally send a quick piece of fan mail just because my job is probably 10x easier than being an author but it still blows at times so I figure they could use the encouragement. I've never gotten anything but form mail back which is fine, I don't really expect anything. Joe actually sent me a personal response with that patented Abercrombie cynicism which I thought was pretty cool.

Anyway I just finished The Heroes, it was fantastic and even better than BSC/TFL in many ways. The way he writes the North Men is a bit generic at times and I do tire a bit of Bayaz just showing up and pushing everyone around in all of the books but the character/plot arcs were pretty much perfection.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Sloop posted:

Abercrombie is very different from Sanderson. Sanderson writes amazing settings and one-dimensional characters, Abercrombie writes amazing characters in a pretty generic setting. For what it's worth though, I read and loved both.

The Sanderson stuff also tends to get a bit on the Dragonball Z-ish side of things. At least that's how the Mistborn trilogy struck me, especially in the latter half.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Rat posted:

The Sanderson stuff also tends to get a bit on the Dragonball Z-ish side of things. At least that's how the Mistborn trilogy struck me, especially in the latter half.

I've only read one Sanderson book (Stormlight Archive first book) but it was definitely on the DBZ side of things. I won't call Abercrombie realistic but his stuff is generally a bit more grounded.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
I've never once read a scene by Sanderson that consisted only of somebody's eyes vibrating, bookended by commercials.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The Gunslinger posted:

Whenever I find a new author I like I normally send a quick piece of fan mail just because my job is probably 10x easier than being an author but it still blows at times so I figure they could use the encouragement. I've never gotten anything but form mail back which is fine, I don't really expect anything. Joe actually sent me a personal response with that patented Abercrombie cynicism which I thought was pretty cool.

I emailed Chris Evans (The Iron Elves trilogy) and he sent me three signed bookplates.

Completely unrelated to Joe Abercrombie...

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

I emailed Chris Evans (The Iron Elves trilogy) and he sent me three signed bookplates.

Completely unrelated to Joe Abercrombie...

This post reminded me to check when his next book comes out, looks like it comes out next month.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Clinton1011 posted:

This post reminded me to check when his next book comes out, looks like it comes out next month.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. Even though the cover is loving horrendous.

Scrubber
Feb 23, 2001
I'm just arguing for leniency; all she did was kill her friend.
Trilogy and Best Served Cold spoilers

Logen displayed an ability in "The Blade Itself" that doesn't seem to have been discussed much in this thread.

Early on, while traveling with Malacus Quai, Logen kneels down over the remains of a fire, sucks up a fire spirit and keeps it under his tongue.

Logen later spits the fire spirit at a bandit and it pounces on the bandit and burns him to death. It kind of seems out of place with the rest of the books, but it happened.

This ability is never mentioned again and for the remainder of the trilogy Logen is treated as if he can only speak to the spirits. But he actually does have at least some ability to make certain spirits do his bidding.

Bedesh had the "skill of speaking with spirits and of making them do his bidding". Bedesh's fate hasn't been explained yet, but we don't have any reason to believe that his gift died with him.

Also, Logen comes from "over the mountains", his people were seemingly an somewhat isolated group and we don't know if they were just generic Northmen.

It seems to me that there are a lot of hints that Logan is more than just a regular old berserker, which kind of makes me think it more likely that we'll see him again.

Finally, it is striking that immediately after Logan falls off a cliff at the end of the trilogy, Best Served Cold starts up with Monza falling off a cliff and surviving, despite the lack of a river to break her fall.

:black101:

Scrubber fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Scrubber posted:

Trilogy and Best Served Cold spoilers

I'm going to try and find the line about Bedesh but I think Gustrod killed him during their war. (not 100% sure on the spelling of Gustrod)