Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moakley
Mar 19, 2010
I just picked this game up a week or so ago and everything is sunshine and lollipops... except for planes. For some reason every plane I make crashes within the first 3 runs. I looked up planes on the wiki and followed the instructions.

They are small planes so that means only 0.07% chance of crash. I'm getting 100% and I am at a complete loss.

Has anybody run across this before? How might I fix this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Moakley posted:

I just picked this game up a week or so ago and everything is sunshine and lollipops... except for planes. For some reason every plane I make crashes within the first 3 runs. I looked up planes on the wiki and followed the instructions.

They are small planes so that means only 0.07% chance of crash. I'm getting 100% and I am at a complete loss.

Problem: planes are stupid and crash a lot, probably especially on lessthanthree's server.

Solution: stop using planes, planes are stupid, only trains, 2cc metros and trams are fun and great and awesome, death to planes :mad:

edit: since \/\/ says there's a bug I should recommend you just turn off plane crashes, they're kinda dumb and no other vehicle crashes randomly without you having hosed up.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Sep 10, 2011

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Moakley posted:

In amongst the plane abuse in the post above this one is a nugget of truth, did you download the version in the OP? There's a bug in this code branch which makes planes do pretty much exactly what you say, 0.07% becomes more like 99.93% so the only solution for now is to turn off plane crashes in the options.

If you are however using a version from the official site then I would highly recommend no-one ever gets on a real plane with you...

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Fazana posted:

At risk of you shouting in return, are you 100% sure you refitted them to engineering supplies? Those wagons look more like the coal/ore type wagons and on the map before this one my engineering supply wagons were the flatbed type. Just double checking...

100.1% sure, I even cloned them from another train that did load those supplies without any problems.

I just logged in to see how things were going, and it looks like they are loading now (though I'm not sure if it fixed itself or if El Diabolico fixed it), but now I see trains sitting at 100% load on a full load for a long time before finally taking off.

Could it be that the trains are actually slightly larger than the station? The trains are of length 7.0, just like the station, but maybe their length is actually 7.05 or something. I seem to remember that loading trains longer than their station results in glacial loading speeds, which may explain a thing or two.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

From Earth posted:

100.1% sure, I even cloned them from another train that did load those supplies without any problems.

I just logged in to see how things were going, and it looks like they are loading now (though I'm not sure if it fixed itself or if El Diabolico fixed it), but now I see trains sitting at 100% load on a full load for a long time before finally taking off.

Could it be that the trains are actually slightly larger than the station? The trains are of length 7.0, just like the station, but maybe their length is actually 7.05 or something. I seem to remember that loading trains longer than their station results in glacial loading speeds, which may explain a thing or two.

They seem to be timetabled, so they stay in a station for a certain duration of time whether they're already fully loaded or not, I don't usually timetable freight trains because they tend to get regulated by fully loading at stations and always having a train in the station.

And I'm pretty sure that the train length display rounds up wherever it can so I wouldn't worry about train length that you can't see.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
Timetabled freight trains are good for high capacity station outputs with short feeder lines so you can guarantee no jams but a high level of transport, and engineering supplies where 250 tonnes are enough to increase production per month. (make 1 train enter a drop off a month)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

From Earth posted:

Actually I thnik it's just cargodest messing up. Basically they only load the freight from trucks arriving while they are at the station. It happens only sometimes, particularly due to transfer orders, and is fixed in the new (possibly last) cargodest version. But since the server is running "Chilli's patchpack" you can't actually fix that on your side. And fixing it would involve code merging and recompiling anyway.

Moakley
Mar 19, 2010

piratepilates posted:

death to planes :mad:

Sir, were you molested by a plane in your childhood? You seem to have some unresolved anger issues.

Fazana posted:

In amongst the plane abuse in the post above this one is a nugget of truth, did you download the version in the OP? There's a bug in this code branch which makes planes do pretty much exactly what you say, 0.07% becomes more like 99.93% so the only solution for now is to turn off plane crashes in the options.

If you are however using a version from the official site then I would highly recommend no-one ever gets on a real plane with you...

Ah, that explains it. I was using the OP code. I'll play around with the crash settings. I just want to try them out and see how they work.

Thanks

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Current map wasn't too popular and is up to 2104. Requesting Arctic map next.

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Server crashed hours ago :( where are you 3?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Vier posted:

Server crashed hours ago :( where are you 3?

I'll reset it when I get home. (Like 3 hours.)

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Seems like the server is empty.

What's a good AI to play against on a random map? (sorry if this was already answered before)

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

kingturnip posted:

So far so good. I've got 5 big towns, all from 1-2 screens away feeding in so far, and aside from watching those platforms get more crowded by the day, I'm making lots of money.

Slowly plugging away with this save. I recently noticed it was starting to get a bit clogged at times so I set about adding an extra 4 platforms and turning it into a 3-line entry.

I'll be honest, it looks pretty ugly and the 3rd line isn't actually being used yet, but I'm optimistic.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Hrm. It seems you guys use CargoDist instead of YACD... have you considered switching? I've been playing singleplayer with YACD and I love how it can subtly recommend I stick an airport in to shuttle passengers all the way across the map. The fact the little civilians pick where they want to go before you make it possible is neat.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Iunnrais posted:

Hrm. It seems you guys use CargoDist instead of YACD... have you considered switching? I've been playing singleplayer with YACD and I love how it can subtly recommend I stick an airport in to shuttle passengers all the way across the map. The fact the little civilians pick where they want to go before you make it possible is neat.

I used it on a tiny 3-city map and tried to get 100% connectivity, it was fun but pretty hard. What sort of sizes of map are you playing it on and how hard is it to make money? I remember reading it struggled when the map got big, has that been improved or was it never really much of a problem in the first place? I do agree that it's very cool though.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
YACD is way more interesting to play yet also too broken to play for me. Any time you add a vehicle to a route it basically breaks and you have to make every vehicle on that route go through it manually. Then it'll still take several months to start working properly.

It also uses oodles of CPU power which is an issue in a single threaded game with software rendering. (the devs don't believe GPU rendering would be faster...) I don't think it'd be playable on a large map with hundreds of vehicles shuffling around. I was kind of waiting for a new version of YACD to start playing OpenTTD again, but unfortunately its developer doesn't seem to be particularly keen on continuing his work. Something about not figuring out an efficient enough way of handling stuff.

In other news, I got some sprites done! I did the cars, the locomotives are done by the other guy drawing for CETS who is way more productive than me. Check out them real length coaches.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 2, 2011

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Jonnty posted:

I used it on a tiny 3-city map and tried to get 100% connectivity, it was fun but pretty hard. What sort of sizes of map are you playing it on and how hard is it to make money? I remember reading it struggled when the map got big, has that been improved or was it never really much of a problem in the first place? I do agree that it's very cool though.

I've been playing it on a 512x512 map, and I've connected about half the cities so far. The difficulty has been in managing the road vehicles within the cities, not the connections between them.

The CPU usage might be an issue for a server though. I never noticed my computer chugging, but then, I wasn't watching it carefully either.

Regardless, the server seems to be down... want to play with goons!

Iunnrais fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 2, 2011

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My current map is 2048x2048, so connecting every town/city is probably impossible.
I've started setting up local networks and connecting them to my hub via airports. Except since I haven't unlocked the Hub airports yet, my City one is getting very crowded.
I'm probably making £1.5m every month of game-time, although I've slowed the time down to 74 ticks per minute.

The only problem I've noticed with CargoDist so far is that it doesn't seem to equalise traffic across directions; so if I can easily load every plane/train going to my hub, I often struggle to load them up for the return.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

What does CargoDist do, exactly?

I've wanted a mod that will "force" me to build networks that might not be as perfect as I'd like. OpenTTD lost a lot of fun for me when I realized that Once I could set up a successful cross-map air service, the money would roll in and I could design whatever.

Also, passenger trains are kinda stupid because they would just drop off and pick up the same people every loving time.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Basically, CargoDist assigns a destination to every unit of cargo/passengers that the game creates.

Example 1: You create a route from Coal Mine A to Power Station Z. Coal at Coal Mine A is assigned a destination of Power Station Z, because it's the only place the coal can get to.
Example 2: Now connect Power Station Y to your network (possibly because you're using the mod that gives industries finite capacity) and some of the coal will want to go there instead. So now you need to set up trains to take the coal there.

Example 3: You've got a delightful network set up allowing Factory X to spunk as many goods out as possible. You want those goods to go to Buntingbridge (because it's a million miles away and it'll make you rich), so you connect Factory X to your Passenger network to make it happen. Except now that all the towns in your Passenger network can receive goods, your goods want to go there as well. Oops. Hope you can afford to create 75 new trains to transport your goods.

So what CargoDist does is force you to be a bit more realistic at times with how you set your networks up.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

kingturnip posted:

Basically, CargoDist assigns a destination to every unit of cargo/passengers that the game creates.

Example 1: You create a route from Coal Mine A to Power Station Z. Coal at Coal Mine A is assigned a destination of Power Station Z, because it's the only place the coal can get to.
Example 2: Now connect Power Station Y to your network (possibly because you're using the mod that gives industries finite capacity) and some of the coal will want to go there instead. So now you need to set up trains to take the coal there.

Example 3: You've got a delightful network set up allowing Factory X to spunk as many goods out as possible. You want those goods to go to Buntingbridge (because it's a million miles away and it'll make you rich), so you connect Factory X to your Passenger network to make it happen. Except now that all the towns in your Passenger network can receive goods, your goods want to go there as well. Oops. Hope you can afford to create 75 new trains to transport your goods.

So what CargoDist does is force you to be a bit more realistic at times with how you set your networks up.

Interesting.

In Example 3, is it a viable option to have the train stop at three towns in a row, dropping off some goods at each? Or would that not work.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Yes, but Cargodist is incapable of routing cargo anywhere you don't already have a functional service to. In other words it won't route the goods to your passenger stations that don't have a goods train going to them, likewise with passengers: they'll only decide to go where you can already take them. YACD on the other hand does route pax/cargo everywhere but has the issues I mentioned. Cargodist is still worthwhile for passengers, I think.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 3, 2011

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

kingturnip posted:

That's not quite right - like Elukka said, cargo has to be able to get to a destination somehow before it "wants" to go to that destination. So you'd only get your last two examples if you'd set up, say, a train from the factory/coalmine to all the towns/power stations.

It is sort of like how YACD works though, except that every possible destination is fair game, even if it doesn't have a station nearby.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Jonnty posted:

That's not quite right - like Elukka said, cargo has to be able to get to a destination somehow before it "wants" to go to that destination. So you'd only get your last two examples if you'd set up, say, a train from the factory/coalmine to all the towns/power stations.

It is sort of like how YACD works though, except that every possible destination is fair game, even if it doesn't have a station nearby.

I mostly want passenger trains that behave somewhat realistically with smaller pick-ups and drop-offs at every station, rather than essentially shuttling between two points for MAX CASH.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Cargodist does just that though if you want to it still can't prevent you from shuffling between two towns for megabux. But if you build an actual network, passengers will know where to go and get off on their stops. You won't need any transfer orders, either, they'll know by themselves how to pick a bus from the city center to the train station or whatever.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Elukka posted:

Cargodist does just that though if you want to it still can't prevent you from shuffling between two towns for megabux. But if you build an actual network, passengers will know where to go and get off on their stops. You won't need any transfer orders, either, they'll know by themselves how to pick a bus from the city center to the train station or whatever.

That's fine. One other thing it seems like I'll be able to do is build legit regional airports. I thought it would be cool to make an airport that serviced like, three towns via busses, and maybe even with connections from the trains, but the base game made this weird and unrealistic. This actually has me super excited about the game again.

What is playing on the Goonserver like? Is it highly competitive, or is it something where I can help out by fleshing out a smaller network in an area that hasn't been developed yet? I'd like to add little rural contributions to a larger network than compete to be the king of the hill.

Broand
Oct 13, 2011
Do you have to update to the latest version or something to access the server? I can't see it as mentioned in the OP, only as "LLJK IN THE TRAINS" or something.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

JerikTelorian posted:

That's fine. One other thing it seems like I'll be able to do is build legit regional airports. I thought it would be cool to make an airport that serviced like, three towns via busses, and maybe even with connections from the trains, but the base game made this weird and unrealistic. This actually has me super excited about the game again.

This is what I love about YACD over CargoDist, personally. Both allow you to build regional airports, but YACD, with it's predetermined destinations, evolves dynamically instead of arbitrarily. And while CargoDist rewards hubs, YACD forces them.

Let me explain via an example. Say we have 10 cities, 2 are big, 8 are small. We're at the start of the game, so you only have the resources to connect 3 of those cities, and you'll expand out from there.

In CargoDist, you pick your starting cities by considering how far away you can shunt them, and how many passengers there are. Knowing that they won't reciprocate, it makes the most sense to connect 3 smaller cities to begin with so that you can start with smaller trains that go faster and stay loaded. Passengers will reciprocate, and they'll decide to go between your small cities until you connect them to larger ones. In this way, you can grow the cities up and connect them to the larger cities when they can reciprocate.

At this point, as you expand, it makes sense to build smaller networks connected by hubs. You build a network somewhere in the world by whim, you connect it to a bigger network, and you grow. It rewards building hubs in this way, it's fun to manage, and you can do so anywhere. But although it rewards hubs, you don't HAVE to use them. You can just build point to point networks if you want, and people will still use them.

However, in YACD, those smaller cities will pick where they want to go before you even put down your first station, and they pick based on proximity and size, with an emphasis on size. Chances are, they'll send a handful of passengers to the next town over, and the majority to the nearest metropolis. This means connecting 3 smaller cities makes no sense, because you'll get almost no traffic. Instead, you'll pick a big city and two of its nearest neighbors to connect at first. Since the big city also picks via the same variables, you'll actually have reciprocation to a degree-- the big city will want to send the majority of its citizens to the other big city, and a handful to the local destinations-- but that handful is equivalent to the majority for the smaller cities, so it works out.

As you expand outwards, the big city will find more destinations reachable, and your traffic will grow, so you'll need to build more capacity there. Smaller cities will also occasionally find new destinations, but not at the same rate-- they only build up because there's so MANY smaller cities you can connect. Thus, you are nearly forced to build smaller connections from the little cities to the big one, and have a really BIG hub there. Then, you connect that big hub to the other big city, and build a big hub there.

So you don't get to pick where your hub is located, and it's not optional. Your network WILL fail if you don't build hubs. As opposed to merely rewarding hubs, it makes them a sheer necessity.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I was pretty interested in YACD, but I got the impression that it was poorly supported and something of a kludge. Has that improved? (The thread for it is dead)

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I've been playing it pretty consistently for the past week. I've started realizing that it probably is broken for cargo, even if it works quite well for passengers. I have no idea why, except that it's likely a kludge, etc. It'll just randomly stop loading cargo onto vehicles.

Darn! I was really loving how it changed the game! Pity it just doesn't work reliably...

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

JerikTelorian posted:

What is playing on the Goonserver like? Is it highly competitive, or is it something where I can help out by fleshing out a smaller network in an area that hasn't been developed yet? I'd like to add little rural contributions to a larger network than compete to be the king of the hill.
We just do whatever the hell we find fun. :)

Broand posted:

Do you have to update to the latest version or something to access the server? I can't see it as mentioned in the OP, only as "LLJK IN THE TRAINS" or something.
You need the special version in the OP. Server seems to be down anyways.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I didn't know YACD works better for passengers - I'd love to use it for that but the switch to turn it off for cargo doesn't seem to work at least if the FIRS industry set is in use.

OpenTTD nightlies got more zoom which I think is really neat. Obviously it doesn't give the sprites any more resolution, but I always thought everything in the game was way too tiny.

Zero grinder
Sep 25, 2010
Fun Shoe
So i fired up OpenTTD (the version in the OP) and i am getting suddenly getting this persistent hall of mirrors effect for some reason.

I have no idea what is causing it. It's definetly not any GRF.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh welp. I can turn the server back on. I've been paying for it this whole time, but it's been too much :effort: to SSH in and turn on OpenTTD.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

They should just rebuild this game form the ground up on in an isometric 3d platform. Seriously it can't be harder than working with this ridiculously impenetrable and inflexible base. I'm looking at unity and narrowing my eyes while shifting them back and forwards to OpenTTD

I'd pay at least $10 for a remake, a simple, intuitive version that could even be sans planes/trucks/ships.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Fishbus posted:

They should just rebuild this game form the ground up on in an isometric 3d platform. Seriously it can't be harder than working with this ridiculously impenetrable and inflexible base. I'm looking at unity and narrowing my eyes while shifting them back and forwards to OpenTTD

I'd pay at least $10 for a remake, a simple, intuitive version that could even be sans planes/trucks/ships.

The problem with making any changes to the graphics system is almost always have some problem with compatibility with the NewGRFs and the staff won't put in any new features that don't work perfectly with pretty much every NewGRF that used to work (this is why TTDPatch has like two features that OpenTTD will almost never have, rails over tunnelheads and maybe something else), and even if they did change it willy nilly who would make the new assets? 32bpp OTTD has been around for years and that's nowhere near a finished state and probably won't for many a more years.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

I'm saying that you grab Unity, UnrealEd or whatever and build a spiritual successor from the ground up. Make alphas for free, drum up interest and more talent. I'm talking rediculously low poly models will even do and heck it'd probably give it lots of charm if they keep in it that colourful original 16BPP style. Then start donations and beta etc. Seems like an easy investment.

A more elegant UI as well as some other modern gameplay things like RPG (levelling up/proficiency etc) elements would improve accessibility and grow the fanbase. It'd probably do quite well for a small team of proficient developers

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Fishbus posted:

I'm saying that you grab Unity, UnrealEd or whatever and build a spiritual successor from the ground up. Make alphas for free, drum up interest and more talent. I'm talking rediculously low poly models will even do and heck it'd probably give it lots of charm if they keep in it that colourful original 16BPP style. Then start donations and beta etc. Seems like an easy investment.

A more elegant UI as well as some other modern gameplay things like RPG (levelling up/proficiency etc) elements would improve accessibility and grow the fanbase. It'd probably do quite well for a small team of proficient developers

It's a lot harder then that and would take years of development. The other issue is that you'd alienate the fans for changing it too much from an economic simulator. Trying to make a game with mass appeal is a very hard thing to do. The amount of variables involved in trying to make a game that will appeal to one crowd without alienating another crowd makes it too difficult. This is why more indie developers take more niche routes for their games trying to appeal to specific fanbases instead of as many as possible.

There really is no benefit to this game going to a 3D engine, since I imagine most people that play treat it as a simulator more then a game and just want to change numbers to make bigger numbers. The graphics is unimportant.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Did the IP address change? You say you started it, and yet it still says offline for me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Apocadall posted:

There really is no benefit to this game going to a 3D engine, since I imagine most people that play treat it as a simulator more then a game and just want to change numbers to make bigger numbers. The graphics is unimportant.
I'm not so sure about that. There's been a thriving community drawing sprites for the game for years and half the appeal of all the grfs is that they look good. And a really good argument for changing engines is the current one is amazingly inefficient because it's all software rendering. This is a fairly simple 2D game that, in some cases, modern computers have problems running.

• Locked thread