Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

trandorian posted:

Practically speaking though, that guy's map is 20,000 x 20,000. That means it's a 400 square kilometer area, which is about the size of the City of Philadelphia.

If we want to talk about things being continent size...
Oh no, I don't want them separated into the sizes of ACTUAL continents. When I said that landmass should be chopped up into more distinct islands, I meant regardless of real-world scale.
My issue is that the landmasses are too big, and not divided enough by oceans. I know that on a real-world scale it's not the size of a continent, but building biomes and landmasses in Minecraft at earth-scale is pointless, because nobody wants to spawn in a biome it'll take a literal real-life week to walk out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Poison is in and it does work, get hit by a spider. Rotten Flesh doesn't seem to poison you, though. When you're poisoned your hearts turn yellow/brown and you lose a LOT of health.

Oh, so I'm totally misinformed. Okay. Maybe it's indigestion, since your foodbar goes greenish? I don't actually know, 'cos I can't keep 1.8 from crashing every thirty seconds on out-of-memory errors or just plain old lock-ups.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Does anyone know any good adventure maps that are > 1 hour long and dont have bullshit question puzzles?

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Somebody put this into the OP: Spawns are random (You always spawn within a certain area in a certain seed, but that area is pretty big). If you want to show a location, give coordinates.

Honestly I don't think anyone knows exactly what determines this. There was a seed going around a previous minecraft thread that spawned you in lava. Everyone said, "Hurr durr spawns aren't the same" but, yeah, everyone who typed in the seed spawned in the same lava pool. So i dunno bro. :shobon:

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:
In 1.7.3, I think it tries to spawn you at x:0, z:0 with certain conditions (pretty sure you always spawn on sand), if that doesn't work it chooses another one. If 0,0 works, the spawn is the same every time. For example,"gargamel" has always spawned me in the cave beach at x:0,y:66,z:0, but I generated 3 worlds with "Jessica" as the seed and spawned in three different places since x:0,z:0 is a grass block.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
The caverns beneath the Something Awful seed's town are very extensive. I spent what felt like an hour hopelessly lost down there without wood and with hardly any swings left in my pick. I did escape but not before digging into a pitch black room with three endermen and as twice as many creepers and skeletons, which made avoiding their gaze quite an interesting task.

I've taken to calling the town Tristram. Given what lies beneath it, I think it fits.

Would you believe I normally play on Peaceful? This is a very good update.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Oops, wrong thread.

This Minecraft thing is so complicated!

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 14, 2011

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Again has enderman interaction been fixed in SMP?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Rent-A-Cop posted:

What am I doing wrong here?

Posting in the vanilla Minecraft thread instead of the Minecraft modding thread :v:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Senator Woofington posted:

Again has enderman interaction been fixed in SMP?

Well, I can't say for certain but I had a few of my friends shrieking in horror down a skype call because they looked at an enderman on the horizon and it promptly teleported inside their house and started killing the gently caress out of them.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
Just a protip to anyone who experiences those annoying lagspikes every couple seconds: those are the 'lag spikes of death', and I get them too. The only way I know to fix them is to download a mod that removes them from the Optifine guy, and that hasn't been updated for 1.8, so if you get the spikes like me, you're kind of hosed until he updates it.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
How do you make Rubber in the technic pack? PDF guide says three wood blocks with a treetap at the bottom, but this does nothing, and I can't find it in the recipe book. :saddowns:

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

Deep Winter posted:

How do you make Rubber in the technic pack? PDF guide says three wood blocks with a treetap at the bottom, but this does nothing, and I can't find it in the recipe book. :saddowns:

This is not the thread you're looking for.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

HAL9100 posted:

This is not the thread you're looking for.

poo poo you are right ignore me SORRY ZORAK

On topic: I am waiting for the official relatively bug-free release version of 1.8, ya'll are crazy.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
What's the most simple "press button > get map" map viewer so I can see what my world looks like?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Kersch posted:

What's the most simple "press button > get map" map viewer so I can see what my world looks like?

Cartograph.

Make sure to get the 8_20_2011 build, its the most recent and works with 1.8 maps.

Here's an example of an isometric render done in Cartograph.

Minarchist fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 14, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Deep Winter posted:

poo poo you are right ignore me SORRY ZORAK

On topic: I am waiting for the official relatively bug-free release version of 1.8, ya'll are crazy.

There's already a relatively bug free version out. The only major crash bug is fixed.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Reveilled posted:

Well, I can't say for certain but I had a few of my friends shrieking in horror down a skype call because they looked at an enderman on the horizon and it promptly teleported inside their house and started killing the gently caress out of them.

Cool thanks. Since this is the pre-release and therefore temporary, here is a server for nothing but chaotic shenanigans:

removed and moved to PGS

No rules, have fun.

Senator Woofington fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 15, 2011

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Kersch posted:

Minutor

SIr_Lienad
Aug 17, 2011

Furthering my education in stupidity, one day at a time.
Fun Shoe
I have yet to try prerelease 2, is the gradual slowdown ending in crash still present?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
So 'Mineshaft Density (half now) hopefully means no more floating mineshafts in huge chasms? I'm all for big, maze-like abandoned mineshafts as long as they make sense.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

SIr_Lienad posted:

I have yet to try prerelease 2, is the gradual slowdown ending in crash still present?

I had it happen after going to the nether, but other than that I haven't noticed any problems.

Leonyth
Mar 17, 2009

GreatKesh posted:

Does anyone know any good adventure maps that are > 1 hour long and dont have bullshit question puzzles?

I grabbed "Cube Inc." after seeing a bit of it played on youtube. So far it's decently long, mostly played on peaceful and i've only encountered one question puzzle that's not even really a puzzle.

I dunno, maybe i'm just bad at jumping puzzles, but it's taken me over an hour to get what i'm guessing is around the half way point.

bout it flautist
Dec 25, 2005

Sometimes it's lonely being the only sock.
I wish there was a mod that added blood moon style events. Maybe every third night or so, mobs would spawn twice as often and be twice as powerful. It would certainly make survival more difficult! The endermen are a little disappointing. :(

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Here's a seed I recommend to all you gentlemen: Land of Bacon

It spawns you next to a pair of sizable villages (one of which is bordering and on top of a lake) inside a large plains biome. The plains are flanked by a pair of large mountain ranges in between which is a bay leading out into the ocean. It's really dramatic and the starting area is the most peaceful, bucolic starting area I have ever encountered.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

bout it flautist posted:

I wish there was a mod that added blood moon style events. Maybe every third night or so, mobs would spawn twice as often and be twice as powerful. It would certainly make survival more difficult! The endermen are a little disappointing. :(

This is a great idea, but the problem is to not make it irritating (as it eventually became in Terraria). I wish I was smart enough to figure it out because thinking up ways to make this game harder without being tedious is pretty difficult in itself

ZarquonHigardi
Mar 27, 2010

bout it flautist posted:

The endermen are a little disappointing. :(

I agree, to a certain extent. They don't really seem any tougher (in terms of hp/damage) than any other monster, despite their rather imposing stature.

Really though, the one thing I think is missing from Endermen is they need to act like Zombie Pigmen do: Anger one, and you anger all of them. Ideally, this would anger all the ones you can see, making them immediately stop and stare at you until you break eye contact with the one you initially stared at.

At least, that's how I thought they would work in the first place, since they were always featured in large groups (granted all monsters spawn this way, but... eh).

President Ark
May 16, 2010

If you look at an Enderman, instead of immediately attacking as soon as you look away they should vanish to a nearby out-of-sight area for a little bit and then attack you after a semirandom amount of time. That way you have that growing sense of dread as you know there's a horrible smoke monster hanging around who might tear you a new rear end in a top hat at any second, potentially while you're busy with another monster, and you have no idea when.

They should also be affected by fewer hazards. You can even kill them by pouring water on them.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 14, 2011

FatalT
Sep 11, 2001

I'm BLUE da ba dee da ba di, da ba dee da ba di, da ba dee...

Senator Woofington posted:

Cool thanks. Since this is the pre-release and therefore temporary, here is a server for nothing but chaotic shenanigans:

No rules, have fun.

Welp I was having fun until Fox joined the server, caused a Creeper to blow up my house, and then killed me. Done with that!

Green Dinosaur
Sep 12, 2009
Did they change the keybinding for speeding up/reversing time?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Green Dinosaur posted:

Did they change the keybinding for speeding up/reversing time?

They took it out as it was a debug feature not a game feature.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I found out the hard way that nerdpoles won't save you from an Enderman that is desperate to be seen.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Disappointing Pie posted:

They took it out as it was a debug feature not a game feature.

It only works in Creative maps.

Green Dinosaur
Sep 12, 2009
I'm in the creative game mode and it isn't working. Is there a way to re-enable it easily?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Can someone link the 1.8 Pre 2 client and server again? Thanks.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

How hard is it to switch a map from creative back to survival? I want to make awesome stuff and then host/play it as a survival map.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

The more I read about Endermen, the less excited I am.

A magically teleporting, one-hit-to-kill mob that busies itself moving your blocks around doesn't sound remotely fun.

Akito12345
Apr 29, 2010

:duane:
Hey Schweinhund, I updated my adventure map The Tower of Xotl to work better with 1.8. I'd appreciate it if you would change the mediafire link in the OP to this one. http://www.mediafire.com/?f3iy999prj54gsv

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Zorak posted:

Can someone link the 1.8 Pre 2 client and server again? Thanks.

http://assets.minecraft.net/1_8-pre2/minecraft.jar

http://t.co/crs68nh --Server.

Oh. I dunno if its just me, but when I tried to use a dispenser in creative, it crashed my game with the saving chunks error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Crackpipe posted:

The more I read about Endermen, the less excited I am.

A magically teleporting, one-hit-to-kill mob that busies itself moving your blocks around doesn't sound remotely fun.

They're really rare. I've played a couple hours in 1.8.2 and seen exactly one, and it was hiding in the upper reaches of a ravine - I wouldn't have noticed it if they didn't have bright glowing eyes.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 14, 2011