Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Nessa posted:

Wait... There are people who don't like the music?

I like all the music, but I do particularly like the girl's town and school music.

The male side's school music after summer break is the best. The female side has a lot more leitmotif between the new opening theme, the new battle theme, and the new Tartarus boss theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Genpei Turtle posted:

Though practically nobody has played it, Majin Tensei 2 actually does that. While its plot is convoluted as hell, and you're still better off picking Neutral in the long run, it splits into four other alignments, and you can go not only Law or Chaos but also Light and Dark, and have to defeat the remaining three alignments. (As usual, Neutral has to fight everyone) Each alignment has its own leader and goal--Michael for Law-Light-maintenance, Lucifer for Chaos-Light-coexistence, Satan for Law-Dark-purging, and Beelzebub for Chaos-Dark-integration/conquest. The "Dark" alignments are basically evil crazy alignments. (especially funny is Law-Dark where your party persuades Satan to not nuke the world from orbit in exchange for killing the other alignment leaders--but he nukes the world anyway in the ending while your party screams "What the gently caress, Satan?!") On the flip side, the Light reps are both basically good guys who just have differences of opinion. They even say "OK, well I don't really agree with you, but you made a decent choice regardless" after you kill them when siding with an opposing Light alignment.

It also let you explore both the Law and Chaos worlds of Amnesia and Paranoia, which was cool. (Both suck though--Amnesia is sterile and insanity-inducing in its boredom, while Paranoia is downright terrifying)

I'd like to see this more often. I'd definitely think more about my choices, since it wouldn't mean loving everyone just because I think maybe demons are a little bad.

Marin Karin posted:

I love how even the game knows how much of an rear end in a top hat Yosuke is, given how many times the MC is a dick to him on his own free will. "You see a student, he seems to be in pain... you decide to leave him be."

Anyway, I finally bought DDS2 so I'm replaying DDS1 since it's been two years. It's pretty nice going through it again since it was my first non-Persona game, and third SMT game in general. Though I have no idea what I was thinking with some of the mantras I bought. I also forgot how much of a creepy rapist Heat was. "There's food all around us." :catstare:

I really need to replay DDS1. It was one of the first games I reviewed, the first SMT game I played, and really the first RPG I got into that wasn't about plucky bands of teenagers roaming the countryside or whatever. At first I didn't the way the game worked, but I eventually came around and really started enjoying the crap out of it.

Hmmm I could even use a NG+ if I did replay it....

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Really Atlus should just hop on the HD collection train and put out HD versions of their PS2 games. :allears:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ok so Persona 1.

Just rescued Mark from the police station, I fused some personas, even got a judgment one with Mediarama(don't know how that happened), and now I have no idea where to go.

Game seems awfully obtuse, just went into a subway because I heard I can get someone there.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Alteisen posted:

Ok so Persona 1.

Just rescued Mark from the police station, I fused some personas, even got a judgment one with Mediarama(don't know how that happened), and now I have no idea where to go.

Game seems awfully obtuse, just went into a subway because I heard I can get someone there.

If you didn't recruit Brown, you can find Elly in the Subway. After that, you need to go to the old factory, which is in the lower right part of the city.

Watch out for Mou Shuvuus~

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

tooooooo bad posted:

Really Atlus should just hop on the HD collection train and put out HD versions of their PS2 games. :allears:

I think you haven't heard of Persona 4 The Golden yet :smug:

no seriously atlus do something with dds and nocturne, put them on vita even for gently caress sake really i just want loving trophies for nocturne

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Policenaut posted:

I think you haven't heard of Persona 4 The Golden yet :smug:

no seriously atlus do something with dds and nocturne, put them on vita even for gently caress sake really i just want loving trophies for nocturne

Whatever man it doesn't count unless I can see it on my TV and oh wait the Vita doesn't do that (until the inevitable hardware refresh). :colbert:

In all seriousness Atlus's rpg series have more awareness in the west than probably ever before and they spewed out a bunch of legitimately good ones on the PS2. A DDS collection or a Devil Summoner collection would get me super excited.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would love an HD Collection of DDS but it's not going to happen... ever.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
P3 stuff:

Halfway into my recent replay right now, trying to finish before Persona 2: IS is released. I'm trying to complete every social link this time, and I'm smack-dab in the middle of Yuko, Chihiro, and Yukari's social links. At this point in the game, the culture festival is going on. I had no idea that the girls have a catfight if you're dating all of them at once. That gave me a good laugh.

As for the Chidori talk, I need to watch myself. Missing the cues to talk to Junpei and change his story is really easy. I should probably check the days when there are specific questions that affect the story.

Being OCD in games like this is a curse.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I apologize for forgetting tags. :(

In any case, I do like Junpei over Yosuke, but both characters are cool. Funnily enough, Persona is one of the few game series where I tend to like most if not all of the characters.

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011
I didn't realize people felt so strongly about Yosuke. I always thought he was supposed to be comedic relief and all the crap he did or said were supposed to be jokes, never really took him seriously.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Nighteyedie posted:

I didn't realize people felt so strongly about Yosuke. I always thought he was supposed to be comedic relief and all the crap he did or said were supposed to be jokes, never really took him seriously.

Same here. Yosuke is one of my favorite characters in P4. Whereas Yukari is always in my party in P3, Yosuke is always in my party in P4. Pretty much everything he says is tongue-in-cheek, as though I were talking with one of my own friends. Being unable to accept the boonies is fitting for his character. Having his nickname in Mayonaka Arena be "Captain Resentment" is pretty hilarious with that in mind.

Aquans
Jun 13, 2010
Yosuke is your loser friend who you keep around because he makes you look better by comparison.

VV Girl, those are my thoughts exactly. VV

Aquans fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 13, 2011

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nessa posted:

But Yosuke spends the entire game whining about Saki. A girl who didn't even like him, and at worst, outright hated him. And in the cross-dressing contest, he can't even just have some fun with it like Kanji. He's just a whiny baby for the entire time who can't take some of his own medicine.

Junpei at least had something of a relationship with Chidori and had every right to be depressed for a while.

Playing as a girl, I really felt like Junpei had my back. And he's able to admit his flaws and try his best to change for the better. I also just like his generally excitable and energetic disposition. Heck, me and Junpei were the only ones in the group excited to go the the beach! YA-KU-SHI-MA! YEAH! I love beach scenes!

Ehhh

I'm gonna have to disagree. Yosuke doesn't talk much about Saki at all past the very early game. He mentions her very occasionally, but that's it.

Meanwhile I felt Junpei was kind of ruined by the Chidori romance. Because it was loving awful and anime as hell. There was little to no reason for it, just the two of them saying each others names LONGINGLY and that was pretty much the sum total of their emotional connection. The melodrama was stifling.

I love Junpei when he's not neck deep in the Chidori story arc though.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Ehhh

I'm gonna have to disagree. Yosuke doesn't talk much about Saki at all past the very early game. He mentions her very occasionally, but that's it.

Meanwhile I felt Junpei was kind of ruined by the Chidori romance. Because it was loving awful and anime as hell. There was little to no reason for it, just the two of them saying each others names LONGINGLY and that was pretty much the sum total of their emotional connection. The melodrama was stifling.

I love Junpei when he's not neck deep in the Chidori story arc though.

I guess I got more out of it than just that. Junpei was curious about what she was drawing and thought she was interesting, and expressed concern when he saw her hand has bleeding. Chidori had presumably not met many people who were concerned about her physical well being, and thus became curious about Junpei.

On top of that, Junpei tries to impress her by claiming he's the leader, which totally backfires on him. It's a part of his complex of needing to be relied on.

I imagine that their conversations at the hospital were more than just saying each other's names back and forth. They did talk about things like "what makes you feel alive" and such.

Junpei's complex is part of what makes him an interesting character. At heart, he's an insecure teenager. He's obsessed with American superhero movies and really wants people to rely on him, yet is afraid failing if he puts any effort into something. It certainly doesn't help that Yukari's always knocking him down a few pegs. Heck, she says some pretty hurtful things to him in the game, and even acts like he'd never be able to find a girlfriend 'cause what kind of girl would be crazy enough to like him? That's got to put a damper on the guy.

He's insecure and just wants people to like him. So he wants to be someone they can rely on and look up to. He wants to be seen as important. He wants to be the leader of the group. He wants the FeMC to rely on him to find that pervert photographer. He wants to be seen as a role model to Ken.

Yet at the same time, he didn't put a lot of effort into school work because it's boring and people wouldn't like him if he's boring, right? I think he was also afraid of still doing poorly, even if he put effort into it, so he didn't want to risk putting effort into his school work and still doing miserably.

Chidori was also the first girl he was ever seriously interested in, and I was just happy to see that Junpei was happy and that he had someone he cared about. And then he lost her. Not long after that, he became pretty good friends with Ryoji, and then he lost him too. :smith:

It was only later that Junpei resolved to do something with his life. Chidori gave him a second chance and he realized that he shouldn't waste it just by dicking around all day. He was gonna start putting effort into things and thinking about his future.

I honestly don't think Junpei would have had the turnaround that he did if it wasn't for Chidori.

That was a lot of words about Junpei.

Wally P
Jun 3, 2007
spoon!
I haven't finished P4 but vaguely know what the plot is like. It just never really grabbed me.

That being said, I don't mind Yosuke but I *adore* Junpei. We can argue about who is more "real" or whatever, but bottom line is that Junpei is like a billion times more bangable than Yosuke, and that's just really going to be the main selling point.

I only played P3:FES, and my favorite romantic link was Yuko. For me, she's totally what I would want in a significant other. She works hard, but doesn't take herself too seriously (for a high schooler -- i mean, you get the feeling she doesn't have a journal filled with emo/love poems). She's refreshingly direct about things, including her affection for the MC. She has fairly standard concerns ("do you think I eat too much? am I feminine enough?") but is relatively well-adjusted about it all, considering. Plus, if that weren't enough, her max link persona is one of the earliest fuseable "godlike" personas that you can stick with and win the game in relative ease. Yuko for best romantic s.link male route.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

The Grimace posted:

Same here. Yosuke is one of my favorite characters in P4. Whereas Yukari is always in my party in P3, Yosuke is always in my party in P4. Pretty much everything he says is tongue-in-cheek, as though I were talking with one of my own friends. Being unable to accept the boonies is fitting for his character. Having his nickname in Mayonaka Arena be "Captain Resentment" is pretty hilarious with that in mind.

While I agree that his teasing seems fairly tongue-in-cheek, it's understandable that some of it, such as the homophobic comments could make one long for a [Punch Yosuke] option. In fact, I think that problem is that while for the rest of the game, the MC's reactions are pretty level headed and mature, when it comes to Yosuke, you never have the option to say to him "Cut that poo poo out, it's not funny and you act like a jackass, what the hell is wrong with you?".

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Wally P posted:

I haven't finished P4 but vaguely know what the plot is like. It just never really grabbed me.

That being said, I don't mind Yosuke but I *adore* Junpei. We can argue about who is more "real" or whatever, but bottom line is that Junpei is like a billion times more bangable than Yosuke, and that's just really going to be the main selling point.

I only played P3:FES, and my favorite romantic link was Yuko. For me, she's totally what I would want in a significant other. She works hard, but doesn't take herself too seriously (for a high schooler -- i mean, you get the feeling she doesn't have a journal filled with emo/love poems). She's refreshingly direct about things, including her affection for the MC. She has fairly standard concerns ("do you think I eat too much? am I feminine enough?") but is relatively well-adjusted about it all, considering. Plus, if that weren't enough, her max link persona is one of the earliest fuseable "godlike" personas that you can stick with and win the game in relative ease. Yuko for best romantic s.link male route.
One of my friends who knows more about SMT than I do would always give me a hard time and say that Physical Attacks are for chumps, until I told him that my Siegfried deals between 300 and 500 points of damage with Akasha Arts to every enemy on the field, and will crit at least two of them. He was, to say the least, surprised.

Yuko: best S.Link, best computer girlfriend.

Wally P
Jun 3, 2007
spoon!

Strange Matter posted:

One of my friends who knows more about SMT than I do would always give me a hard time and say that Physical Attacks are for chumps, until I told him that my Siegfried deals between 300 and 500 points of damage with Akasha Arts to every enemy on the field, and will crit at least two of them. He was, to say the least, surprised.

Yuko: best S.Link, best computer girlfriend.

Akasha Arts! Did you get a morph or did you get him to inherit it through fusion? I still like Vorpal Blade better simply because you get a boost for being in "Great" status, which is ridiculously easy to achieve later in the game when Tartarus is for chumps.

Also, making sure that my personas inherit growth skills was one of the best things I did. Had to do a lot less persona-swapping management to keep my stable up to snuff.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Wally P posted:

Akasha Arts! Did you get a morph or did you get him to inherit it through fusion? I still like Vorpal Blade better simply because you get a boost for being in "Great" status, which is ridiculously easy to achieve later in the game when Tartarus is for chumps.

Also, making sure that my personas inherit growth skills was one of the best things I did. Had to do a lot less persona-swapping management to keep my stable up to snuff.
Inherited through growth. Ultimately I replaced him with Scathath who had Akasha Arts and also some very helpful magic attacks too, but he lasted me through most of the penultimate block in Tartarus.

It was Siegfried and Odin all the way. Ring of the Nibelungen baby.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

ImpAtom posted:

I normally am a sucker for that kind of stuff, it just didn't work in Persona 3 for me. :smith:

Not really. Aside from neutral, they embody different philosophies. (And even neutrality kind of does that.)

Anywhere I can read up on this? It sounds really interesting.

bit
Jan 2, 2010

A bit is the basic unit of information in computing and telecommunications; it is the amount of information that can be stored by a device or other physical system that ca

casual poster posted:

The 6(!) different paths are all explained pretty well here. Massive spoilers obviously.

Tiro
Jul 14, 2011

casual poster posted:

They're more interesting in theory than in practice, really. The idea is that you can cast the ethical presuppositions of this world aside and follow something even if it is crazy, and you really have to believe in that from the get-go. That said, it's never brought home with any particular force in the game that this is a blank canvass on which you can paint literally anything, so it's quite easy to fall into the trap of viewing one Reason as absolutely awful because it doesn't conform to the demands of society as we perceive it.

The unfortunate part of it all is that the philosophies aren't explored in significant enough depth throughout the game to become particularly convincing. The proponents of the various ideas give you shaky insight and it ends up being whatever you read into them that keeps you going rather than the content the game explicitly offers. It's an idea with a lot of potential to be interesting that lacks a precise enough execution to follow up on it.

All that said, Nocturne is still an awesome game and I don't mean to make it sound bad at all. Just imperfect.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Just a heads up: PSN (PSP) versions of Persona 1 and P3P are on sale this week for $20 each.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Just a heads up: PSN (PSP) versions of Persona 1 and P3P are on sale this week for $20 each.

If, for some dumb reason, some of you people have a PSP, but not P1, then you should probably buy it now then! It is the Best Persona, after all.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
The loading times are probably significantly shorter with the PSN version, too. If ever you wanted to see how the Persona series began, now's the best time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Technique posted:

If, for some dumb reason, some of you people have a PSP, but not P1, then you should probably buy it now then! It is the Best Persona, after all.

I'll probably get it if it eventually falls to around ten dollars. Lots of other games vying for my money.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Rinkles posted:

I'll probably get it if it eventually falls to around ten dollars. Lots of other games vying for my money.

It's definitely worth 20 bucks though! Solid plot, great characters, fun battle system, the only decent implementation of demon contacting, great soundtrack (though the original still has a few tracks that should have gotten remixed instead of replaced), and also dance crazy.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!

Rinkles posted:

:I
I finally go and order a copy of P3P, and this happens.
Oh well, I now own a digital copy of Persona 1.

I know what I'm playing while waiting for P3P to show up in my mail. :woop:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Technique posted:

...the only decent implementation of demon contacting...

How's it different from the P2 negotiating system?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Keep beating that P1 drum Technique, you might just sucker in a few more this time.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Technique posted:

It's definitely worth 20 bucks though! Solid plot, great characters, fun battle system, the only decent implementation of demon contacting, great soundtrack (though the original still has a few tracks that should have gotten remixed instead of replaced), and also dance crazy.

The demon negotiation system has never been solid, its always been poo poo and will forever be poo poo, its even worse in P1 since its so loving obtuse.

The story seems fine so far but the obscene encounter rate is starting to irritate me.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.
That'll only help you out when you reach a point where you have to grind. :haw:

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Sony pre-TGS press conference just ended, and in the list of games/franchises expected to be on Vita within a year of launching, one of the entries was Shin Megami Tensei. Speculation time!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nocturne Vita port.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Armor-Piercing posted:

Sony pre-TGS press conference just ended, and in the list of games/franchises expected to be on Vita within a year of launching, one of the entries was Shin Megami Tensei. Speculation time!

Obviously a port of Strange Journey.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Technique posted:

It's definitely worth 20 bucks though! Solid plot, great characters, fun battle system, the only decent implementation of demon contacting

I want to play the version you got, I had the opposite experience with mine. The game really didn't age well.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Lazy Programming posted:

I want to play the version you got, I had the opposite experience with mine. The game really didn't age well.

What's wrong with the plot and characters.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

TurnipFritter posted:

What's wrong with the plot and characters.

I couldn't get into it, but that might have been the game play distracting me too much. I wouldn't say it is one of the game's faults though, I'll concede that, the game has enough other problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Rinkles posted:

How's it different from the P2 negotiating system?

It doesn't have the ridiculous card grind.