Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Look up on this very page Epileptic! Scionix is talking about the Naos.

edit: of COURSE I say this and then snipe a new page. Look at the last page Epileptic. Go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Trust
Dec 29, 2009

"the car's on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel..."

kaschei posted:

Look up on this very page Epileptic! Scionix is talking about the Naos.

edit: of COURSE I say this and then snipe a new page. Look at the last page Epileptic. Go.

Well I feel a little silly, I was quite self-assured that I'd read the past 5 or so pages to make sure nobody had recently asked about things I was about to ask about.

I'm not very good at this. But thank you muchly, sir :)

e: and thank you too, Scionix

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Bought a LT G9x today and really like it. Clicks feel good and pose little resistance, software is okay, pressing the mousewheel for button 3 is almost unusable but it doesn't matter. All in all it is very good for me (using the claw-grip), except for its looks. It is kind of an ugly duckling.

\/ Good suggestion, thanks!

\/²

quote:

Make sure to bind wheel left in windows to ctrl+pgup and right to ctrl+tab. Switches tabs in browsers.

I have it set to volume right now, but that's a good suggestion. Thanks!

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 4, 2011

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

^^^^^^ The sensitivity controls are great for volume in non-gaming mode.

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

pressing the mousewheel for button 3 is almost unusable but it doesn't matter.
WheelRight has replaced MiddleClick in most games for me, as it's faster and neater than middle-clicking any wheel. MiddleClick remains useful for stuff that doesn't need to be lightning-quick, though.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 4, 2011

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

WheelRight has replaced MiddleClick in most games for me, as it's faster and neater than middle-clicking any wheel.

I just sat here and did that 10 times to test it while playing a fake FPS.

You're a genius. :cheers:

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I'm using a G9 and also think the wheel-press is too heavy. In games, I like wheel up = weapon 1, wheel down = 2, left=3 and right=4.

Make sure to bind wheel left in windows to ctrl+pgup and right to ctrl+tab. Switches tabs in browsers.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
That is loving brilliant, thank you. I haven't used my left and right scroll for poo poo.

I'll stick with my thumb buttons as my buttons 3 and 4 for FPSes, though.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Dominoes posted:

I'm using a G9 and also think the wheel-press is too heavy. In games, I like wheel up = weapon 1, wheel down = 2, left=3 and right=4.

Why not bind right to ctrl+pgdn?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Longinus00 posted:

Why not bind right to ctrl+pgdn?
That works too.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

To complete, Ctrl-shift-tab for the left is yet another option.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

NihilCredo posted:

^^^^^^ The sensitivity controls are great for volume in non-gaming mode.

WheelRight has replaced MiddleClick in most games for me, as it's faster and neater than middle-clicking any wheel. MiddleClick remains useful for stuff that doesn't need to be lightning-quick, though.

I put Middle mouse on the forward thumb-button and F5 (refresh) on the back one. Works really well for browsing.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
What's the consensus on the R.A.T. series, specifically the 7? I've been looking at it for a while, I'm picky about the shape/weight of mice I use so it seems like a good bet. Now that the Mac drivers are actually out I can go ahead and order one.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
In a search for a light-as-possible (~90-100g), palm grip and 2 thumb-button mouse I've landed at the Mionix Naos 3200. I've jumped around a few review sites and it seems to get decent ratings, with most of the criticism being its max of 3200dpi. I'm pretty sure I use 800 on my G9x almost exclusively so that doesn't bother me.

The only other real option I came across was the Roccat Kova, which fits all of the above but it's an ambidextrous design with thumb buttons on each side. Surely the ring finger would hit the opposing hands thumb buttons?

The ikari was similar but I've seen enough posts here alon to shy me away.

Might anyone know of any similar mice?

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

kcer posted:

The only other real option I came across was the Roccat Kova, which fits all of the above but it's an ambidextrous design with thumb buttons on each side. Surely the ring finger would hit the opposing hands thumb buttons?

It's never been a problem for me, with any of the ambidextrous mice I use. However, you don't end up using a palm grip with these mice - more of a claw grip.

If you have midget hands and still want to palm the Kova, the side buttons are still quite tough to actuate, and won't really actuate accidentally.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Just a heads up guys, I'm selling lots of new Razer mice and other peripherals for less than retail over in SA mart:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437068

Catpetter
Dec 12, 2004

Tell your god to ready for blood
Soiled Meat
Hey so I am looking for an accurate and glitzy wired mouse for art, image editing and (mostly) gaming.

I had a G5 for about 3 years, was great until the DPI adjust button stopped working and I had to remove the pad feet to open it and they basically got ruined. Besides that, my only problem with it really was the mouse wheel was slow.

Then I recently bought a G500 and it was incredibly jittery and felt cheap, though I did like the extra button and the idea of the free spin wheel.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Tin-Horn Indian posted:

Then I recently bought a G500 and it was incredibly jittery and felt cheap, though I did like the extra button and the idea of the free spin wheel.

I don't know whats up with your one, but I've had several G5 and a couple of G500s and they only difference you should feel is the side buttons, pointer motion and general build are the same.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

dissss posted:

I don't know whats up with your one, but I've had several G5 and a couple of G500s and they only difference you should feel is the side buttons, pointer motion and general build are the same.

Same here, I went from a G5 to a G500 and it seemed like the same thing with the extra features that I wanted.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Can anyone recommend me a good mini mouse? I'm talking something that's tiny. Just want one more class.

Also really hard question: IS there anyway to turn the touchpad on my laptop into a joystick emulator? Where it reads input on the touch based on its location on the pad, and acts as if it is moving the mouse in that direction? the further from the center the fast the mousing speed, kinda deal. Does that make any sense?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Some people on teamliquid.net were claiming that the sensors in the G series were the same as the sensors in the Razor Sensei, and consequently had minor mouse acceleration regardless of any software settings. Does anyone else know anything about this?

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
It is my understanding that, like the Xai, the (Steelseries) Sensei uses the same laser sensor as current G-Series laser mice (G500/G700/G9x). As a result, you will see tracking performance that is similar, though not necessarily identical to, those mice.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Dominoes posted:

The MX Revolution has the best scroll wheel I've used. I had assumed it would become the standard for future mice.

The problem is that, from talking to everyone who owned an MX Revolution(myself included) - those first generation toggled scrollwheels broke very, very often. Mine after only like 9 months ended up stuck in between modes.

It's a great idea, though, and I love the switchable mode wheel on my G500.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
Honestly, toggle resiliency aside, I don't ever want a mouse WITHOUT a scroll wheel. I even brought my G9x into work so I didn't have to suffer a lovely scroll wheel on the stock dell mice. I do work with databases and use excel heavily, so I use the poo poo out of the free-scroll. I am probably one of the people the wheel was designed for, but god drat, I don't get how people don't find this supremely awesome.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Salt Fish posted:

Some people on teamliquid.net were claiming that the sensors in the G series were the same as the sensors in the Razor Sensei, and consequently had minor mouse acceleration regardless of any software settings. Does anyone else know anything about this?

I dunno where the acceleration thing comes from or whether anyone has definitively proved it. If it exists, its small enough that I don't notice it. Some of the complaints on TL even put percentages to it. With no named source and no test methodology, it sounds like some of the golden ears type insanity you hear in the "Ridicule Audiophiles" thread over the A/V Arena.

Sensei looks like a Xai with continued firmware development and a bunch of extras bolted on by popular demand (like flashy lights). Xai was a drat expensive mouse though and at a full £23 extra, the Sensei price just seems fruitcakes.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

For Loop posted:

Honestly, toggle resiliency aside, I don't ever want a mouse WITHOUT a scroll wheel. I even brought my G9x into work so I didn't have to suffer a lovely scroll wheel on the stock dell mice. I do work with databases and use excel heavily, so I use the poo poo out of the free-scroll. I am probably one of the people the wheel was designed for, but god drat, I don't get how people don't find this supremely awesome.

:hfive:

Probably doesn't apply to most goons, but I suspect this may otherwise be a frequent reason.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

NihilCredo posted:

Probably doesn't apply to most goons, but I suspect this may otherwise be a frequent reason.

How could that apply to anybody but goons?

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Hubs and I have Wolfking Trooper mice and we're about to drop kick them off our balcony. Personally, I liked the speed and double/triple clicking options and I liked the way it felt in my hand, but my scroll wheel has turned to a runaway nightmare. I like clicky wheels and this one, while clicking, doesn't seem to scroll properly, if at all.

Hubs' likes to randomly turn on its double click feature without touching the button to turn it on (or the light to indicate it being active.) He's not nearly as picky, but it worked well enough for the two years he's had it.

Suggestions for new ones?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

NihilCredo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa9DLxDtPtc
Somebody also did a nice animation of it.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

WanderingKid posted:

I dunno where the acceleration thing comes from or whether anyone has definitively proved it. If it exists, its small enough that I don't notice it. Some of the complaints on TL even put percentages to it. With no named source and no test methodology, it sounds like some of the golden ears type insanity you hear in the "Ridicule Audiophiles" thread over the A/V Arena.

Sensei looks like a Xai with continued firmware development and a bunch of extras bolted on by popular demand (like flashy lights). Xai was a drat expensive mouse though and at a full £23 extra, the Sensei price just seems fruitcakes.

It's very easy to see if acceleration exists. Put two books on your mousepad as references and move from one to the other slowly then quickly. If the cursor moves farther at higher speeds there is positive acceleration, if less there is negative acceleration.

I'm not sure if acceleration kicks in above a certain velocity threshold or how it really works (it likely varies by model of sensor), but if it's mild you won't notice or possibly even experience any unless you frequently move your mouse quickly. It isn't like Windows' mouse acceleration.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Not too sure about the Naga I got a couple weeks ago. Even if I was playing an MMO, the buttons still seem kind of awkward. I might try and return it (should still be able to) and get something else. Any thoughts? I always liked the G9 in terms of hand comfort, but maybe there's something newer out there which is similar in terms of design?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

G9x?

apheleon
Sep 6, 2007
sofresh
For fans of the Logitech mx300/g1/g3 series, it looks like Logitech is introducing the successor to this line up as the G100 in Asia.

Some links for more info and pics:

http://www.logitech.com.cn/zh-cn/mice-pointers/mice/devices/8397
http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=2149687
http://detail.zol.com.cn/picture_index_708/index7074637_0_p293999.shtml
http://watchmonoblog.blog71.fc2.com/blog-entry-1546.html
http://www.pcwaishe.cn/viewthread.php?tid=189246&extra=page%3D1%26amp%3Bfilter%3Dtype%26amp%3Btypeid%3D16

From the Logitech forum:
http://forums.logitech.com/t5/G-series-Gaming-Mice/G100-coming-to-Europe-as-well/m-p/691428

quote:

At this moment, it looks to be an Asia only (Korea/Japan/China/etc) release. We do have the G300, an ambidexterous optical mouse, for sale in Europe though.
I can't speak to the future, but what products sold in each region is determined by the sales team. They've been known to expand the regions that products are sold in, but at this moment, I have no specific information that the G100 and G100 combo will be shipped outside of Asia.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
God drat, look at those pics in the first link. The thing has a battleaxe, a racing wheel AND a targeting reticule coming out from the top. The thing's a veritable swiss army knife!

... Looks like it even comes with a free hard hat, too. As a bonus there's some crazy Deus Ex stuff going on at the bottom.

e: Oh wait, the G300 comes with two battleaxes. Hm, choices.

Honestly speaking it is nice to see another successor to the venerable MX300, though it is a bit saddening to see that I'd have to order from Asia to get one; not that it'd be impossible to order one from overseas, but... it'd be nice to be able to have a model that I could actually look at when at a Best Buy or Office Depot or something.

e: Also jeez that cord is thin as hell.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Sep 20, 2011

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
Our marketing materials are aimed at people who don't really understand why gaming mice exist.

The cable passes the same stress testing as the older, thicker ones plus is lighter and easier to move around. There have also been modifications made to the cable entry area to improve durability.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Not sure if this has been touched before but I just got my G500 yesterday. It's great and feels amazing. I'm running into a weird problem where a quick movement of the mouse will make the pointer "wobble" for a bit once reaching its destination.

Some quick google searching tell me it might be a loose and you can quick test it by shaking the mouse in the air. Checked that and it doesn't seem to be the case, the hardware is fine.

I tweaked the settings a bit and it appears it may have gotten rid of the problem but it still concerns me a bit. If I ever want to increase the speed, the problem returns. Anyone familiar with this?

hohoh0
Apr 5, 2003

TEH GRAPPLER
It looks like the Steelseries Sensei is finally available for order. Still going to wait a bit till it's added to Amazon.

http://steelseries.com/products/mice/steelseries-sensei

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

couldcareless posted:

Not sure if this has been touched before but I just got my G500 yesterday. It's great and feels amazing. I'm running into a weird problem where a quick movement of the mouse will make the pointer "wobble" for a bit once reaching its destination.

Some quick google searching tell me it might be a loose and you can quick test it by shaking the mouse in the air. Checked that and it doesn't seem to be the case, the hardware is fine.

I tweaked the settings a bit and it appears it may have gotten rid of the problem but it still concerns me a bit. If I ever want to increase the speed, the problem returns. Anyone familiar with this?

I've had the G500 for 2+ years now and didn't ever notice such thing.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

hohoh0 posted:

It looks like the Steelseries Sensei is finally available for order. Still going to wait a bit till it's added to Amazon.

http://steelseries.com/products/mice/steelseries-sensei
That looks a lot like the Intellimouse Explorer.

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dominoes posted:

That looks a lot like the Intellimouse Explorer.

But now it has lights! :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

But now it has lights! :science:

Even more pointlessly; an LCD screen on the underside.

Reminds me of the episode of Pimp My Ride where they put LCD screens underneath the car, and in the mudflaps.