Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Mikerthan posted:

A friend of mine sent me this website Popmarket today. Different vinyl deals every day - I got the Slayer box set for $99 this morning. I've seen it in stores here for $250+ so definitely worth checking, cause that's a crazy deal. They've also got the 3 new Pearl Jam reissues for $45 and other stuff for cheap.

The last thing I bought was Lucinda Williams when my favourite record store closed (sigh), but I do love me some Slayer. Excited for it to show up.

It's a great set that sounds awesome; especially for that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just got Franz Ferdinand and LCD's London Sessions in the mail today.

I think I just had my first "Oh my God" moment when I listed to the intro to Take Me Out. That just sounds so fantastic running full.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

LtTennisBall posted:

I might go spend forty bucks on it...but I haven't even been to some of the other stores and that's a lot of money......

You're probably better off seeing what the average price is on that one. Nuggets has some pretty insane markups.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
Found this at Stereo Jack's of all places.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
Welp, I bought Still. Most expensive record I've ever bought, but it's an original and I've never seen Still for sale before, so it's worth it. Also, I see that I'm not the only one who uses their bed as a place to take pictures of records (at least I think that's a bed?).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LtTennisBall posted:

Welp, I bought Still. Most expensive record I've ever bought, but it's an original and I've never seen Still for sale before, so it's worth it. Also, I see that I'm not the only one who uses their bed as a place to take pictures of records (at least I think that's a bed?).

I remember the days when I thought 40 dollars was a lot for a record. I was so young then. Also I had money.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

CPL593H posted:

I remember the days when I thought 40 dollars was a lot for a record. I was so young then. Also I had money.

I guess not being a crazy Flaming Lips collector helps? I don't know, I'd spend a ton if the record really meant something to me. But yeah I worry about my wallet :ohdear:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LtTennisBall posted:

I guess not being a crazy Flaming Lips collector helps? I don't know, I'd spend a ton if the record really meant something to me. But yeah I worry about my wallet :ohdear:

That's my whole problem. They all mean something to me, always. Basically I've reached the point where it's bordering on addiction.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

CPL593H posted:

That's my whole problem. They all mean something to me, always. Basically I've reached the point where it's bordering on addiction.

Yeah, I don't buy records unless I really love them or just want new stuff on vinyl. But beyond the odd Modest Mouse or Pumpkins record, I guess what I really want isn't as expensive. Speaking of The Lips, I saw a record of theirs (the name escapes me) at In Your Ear. It was a double LP and it was blue. Might have been their first studio album.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LtTennisBall posted:

Yeah, I don't buy records unless I really love them or just want new stuff on vinyl. But beyond the odd Modest Mouse or Pumpkins record, I guess what I really want isn't as expensive. Speaking of The Lips, I saw a record of theirs (the name escapes me) at In Your Ear. It was a double LP and it was blue. Might have been their first studio album.

Their first full length album was a single LP and on black vinyl as far as I know. Unless it was one of those reissues. I know some of their early stuff was reissued on colored vinyl and I think some of those were double LPs.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

LtTennisBall posted:

That's the Plain reissue of Telepathic Surgery, their third album.

CPL593H posted:

Their first full length album was a single LP and on black vinyl as far as I know.

The first 2000 copies of Hear It Is were on white vinyl.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Surfingelectrode posted:

That's the Plain reissue of Telepathic Surgery, their third album.

The first 2000 copies of Hear It Is were on white vinyl.

I was waiting for it.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
From today's Denver Record Collector's Expo:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

What's the album on the bottom left?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Tiny Faye posted:

Found this at Stereo Jack's of all places.

What the gently caress I was in there like 2 weeks ago :(

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

What's the album on the bottom left?

I think that's Devo's 1988 masterpiece Noodles or Wet Noodles or something like that.

Apparently, the album is a huge mess.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

I think that's Devo's 1988 masterpiece Noodles or Wet Noodles or something like that.

Apparently, the album is a huge mess.

I was guessing Devo, but I didn't recognize the cover and I've never heard of that album. For some reason I thought Shout was their last album.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Smooth Noodle Maps, and no, that's not the cover of that album. I'm guessing that's a 12".

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
The album is Total Devo, the studio album between Shout and Smooth Noodle Maps.

Your eyes aren't playing tricks on you; during photography of the cover the lower part of the drummer's face was obscured by Bob Casale's rear end. So they cut and pasted his chin to "fix" it.

Cheesus fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 12, 2011

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Kaboobi posted:

What the gently caress I was in there like 2 weeks ago :(

some places you have to check daily cause you'll miss out on new stock.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

HKR posted:

some places you have to check daily cause you'll miss out on new stock.

Yeah, I basically just crawl New Arrivals sections at the local shops that sell mostly used. Most of the stuff that's stuck around long enough to be sorted out into the general inventory isn't worth digging through if you frequent the same shop more than once a month or so.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
Remember that giant loving Smiths box set? Turn out it's getting a US release, limited to 750, for $500.

http://www.rhino.com/shop/product/the-smiths-the-smiths-complete-deluxe-boxset?cmpid=ga

who wants to buy me a christmas present?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LtTennisBall posted:

Remember that giant loving Smiths box set? Turn out it's getting a US release, limited to 750, for $500.

http://www.rhino.com/shop/product/the-smiths-the-smiths-complete-deluxe-boxset?cmpid=ga

who wants to buy me a christmas present?

I probably said this before, but you can get the whole set of Smiths vinyl reissues for something like 120-150 dollars. And they are they same discs as what are being offered in this set. I know there's a bunch of add ons and CDs and poo poo, but honestly if you've got the LPs what the hell do you need to pay an extra 350 dollars more for CDs of the same thing. Hell you can probably score the CDs at ten bucks a piece if you really want them. Or less if you get them used. Rhino box sets are always a huge loving rip off.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 13, 2011

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

CPL593H posted:

I probably said this before, but you can get the whole set of Smiths vinyl reissues for something like 120-150 dollars. And they are they same discs as what are being offered in this set. I know there's a bunch of add ons and CDs and poo poo, but honestly if you've got them LPs what the hell do you need to pay an extra 350 dollars each for CDs of the same thing. Hell you can probably score the CDs at ten bucks a piece if you really want them. Or less if you get them used. Rhino box sets are always a huge loving rip off.

They're always a rip off yes, but I do think this is the one set with the 25 singles.

e: also some people just really like box sets. I love box sets, I won't be getting this one, but it's cool to stare at.

LtTennisBall fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 13, 2011

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LtTennisBall posted:

They're always a rip off yes, but I do think this is the one set with the 25 singles.

e: also some people just really like box sets. I love box sets, I won't be getting this one, but it's cool to stare at.

I knew about the singles, but I still think that's insanely overpriced. There was a recent singles reissue box, but that it only has ten of the singles and is kind of a hot item. And as it turns out you can get the albums for something closer to 80-100.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

CPL593H posted:

I knew about the singles, but I still think that's insanely overpriced. There was a recent singles reissue box, but that it only has ten of the singles and is kind of a hot item. And as it turns out you can get the albums for something closer to 80-100.

You are completely right from a logic standpoint. I still think it's cool.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
But they haven't issued Hatful of Hollow, The World Won't Listen, Louder than Bombs, or Rank on LP yet. And without those albums, we're literally missing half of the story (even though those albums contain a lot of overlap). And the CDs are probably remastered.

And I wish I just had 500 I could spend without guilt because I would so get this just because it's the loving Smiths. Yeah, Rhino can be a ripoff, but let's be honest. They knew they could do this with Morrissey.

starksfergie
Jul 24, 2007

I'm just content to relax and drown within myself
and for the record, you can pre-order the Smiths box on the Rhino UK site and it was slightly cheaper there (I pre-ordered for £299, methinks)... it is shipping that eats into the difference (though it was free UK shipping, so I shipped it to a friend who is bringing it with him on a trip)

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

The Insound people tossed in some really clutch coasters with our new Rapture album order (we respect wood...) :3: But...sometime on the B-side on the first record my stylus decided to poo poo the brick and the jams had to stop immediately. :(

So thinking about just updating my cartridge rather than pay almost the same cost of a new cartridge to replace the Shure M97xe. Right now my main contender is the Audio Technica AT120e/t but if anyone can recommend something comparable in the ~$100ish range to consider that would be lovely. Listen to a lot of electronic/new wave/indie rock bullshit with dash of folk and classic rock and my speakers are a couple of polk monitor 40's paired with a smallish powered polk sub.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tiny Faye posted:

So thinking about just updating my cartridge rather than pay almost the same cost of a new cartridge to replace the Shure M97xe.

Then again, if you replace the stylus assembly, you will have something that 100% corresponds to a brand new M97Xe - without having to install or align anything. If a new stylus assembly costs less than 50% of a new cartridge, it usually just means you paid too much for the cartridge (which seems to be the norm).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Tiny Faye posted:

The Insound people tossed in some really clutch coasters with our new Rapture album order (we respect wood...) :3: But...sometime on the B-side on the first record my stylus decided to poo poo the brick and the jams had to stop immediately. :(

So thinking about just updating my cartridge rather than pay almost the same cost of a new cartridge to replace the Shure M97xe. Right now my main contender is the Audio Technica AT120e/t but if anyone can recommend something comparable in the ~$100ish range to consider that would be lovely. Listen to a lot of electronic/new wave/indie rock bullshit with dash of folk and classic rock and my speakers are a couple of polk monitor 40's paired with a smallish powered polk sub.

I don't have any advice in the area of the carts. But I just wanted to say good choice on those speakers. I have the monitor 50s (which I'm pretty sure are just the floor standing version of the 40s) and I love them. They were pretty cheap too. I also kicked in the extra money for the extended warranty at Circuit City when I bought them. That was a good decision.

Funeral Pudding
Jun 20, 2006
My pal the tortoise, fast does he go?

Tiny Faye posted:

AT-120e is definitely a good option, but it depends on what you want out of the cartridge. M97xe is very "warm" sounding due to its limited treble response. Do you like that sound but just want something that preforms a little better? Or would you prefer something a bit different (i.e. something more neutral, or something with better treble or midrange, etc)? What about the M97xe are you dissatisfied with or would like to improve upon?

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Mr. Stepmom posted:

I have a copy of "In The Grace Of Your Love", the new LP on white vinyl by The Rapture to give away to a fine goon, courtesy of my employer, DFA Records! Email me at kris at dfarecords dot com. US people only, sorry!

EDIT: It's gone. surfingelectrode is the lucky jerk. congrats!

Got it today.... thanks again!

The Rapture - In the Grace of Your Love
Hercules & Love Affair - Classique #2 b/w Roar
Holy Ghost! - Hold On b/w Hold On (Blackjoy Remix)
Yacht - Shangri-la - White label promo of whole album?

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 14, 2011

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

By the prices on eBay/Discogs I have picked the absolute worst time to start a Boards of Canada LP collection.

Why can't those elusive bastards come out of hiding long enough to warrant a reissue. :(

In actual vinyl pickup news I got this freebie from a giveaway on Twitter. It has the Radiohead track from their record store day release.

Duckula fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 16, 2011

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Duckula posted:

By the prices on eBay/Discogs I have picked the absolute worst time to start a Boards of Canada LP collection.

Why can't those elusive bastards come out of hiding long enough to warrant a reissue. :(

In actual vinyl pickup news I got this freebie from a giveaway on Twitter. It has the Radiohead track from their record store day release.

I tried to get that. I failed.

Judoon Platoon
Nov 1, 2010
I should have that XL sampler waiting for me when I next get home. :dance:

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
you lucky piece of poo poo; one of my e-bros works for XL and literally told me to request one like 20 minutes after the offer went out and I STILL didn't make the cut.

in the meantime, I got a new job which allows me to order records willy-nilly; here are a few recent pickups:

- Pure X, Pleasure (the first pressing w/ the foil; this is one of the most gorgeous-looking records of the year)
- Soft Metals, s/t (LE version with the amazing cover art. btw this is one of the very best albums Captured Tracks has put out yet)
- Widowspeak LP (LE version; unfortunately this is NOT one of Captured Tracks' best albums)
- Leyland Kirby, Intrigue & Stuff Vol. 2 (clear)
- Leyland Kirby, new album with a long-rear end title which I can't be bothered to look up right now even though it owns SO MUCH. somehow managed to get the white vinyl version even though I got the email announcing its availability a few days late too! super pumped about this; Kirby's 2011 has dwarfed everyone else's IMO.
- Jurgen Muller, Science of the Sea reissue
- Container, s/t (first Spectrum Spools album I actively haven't liked)
- Holy Ghost!, s/t (the 2x LP version which got pushed back like three months)
- Radio People, Hazel
- new Rapture album (to whoever the goon who works at DFA itt was, please be assured that I also hate you. also please scream at Galkin and/or Russom until they finally release the goddamn Black Leotard Front album [or at least "Hey Coach I Read Your Diary"].)
- Machinedrum, Room(s)
- Talking Heads, Speaking In Tongues (Rauschenberg version)
- Outer Space, Last Vacuum Demos (John Elliott is a god among men)
- Amazing Births, Younger Moon (I'm not as nuts about Mark McGuire as the rest of the world seems to be but this is actually quite a decent little record)

also I dunno if I've ever shilled for this before, but I'd like to go to bat for the Art Vinyl Frame - basically, it's a frame built to display sleeves which you can easily replace the contents. build quality is not the best since it's plastic and can't fit thick jackets or box sets, but it's still an incredibly clever way to manage the jacket of the record you're currently playing rather than just leaving it lying around.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

trdn89 posted:

- Talking Heads, Speaking In Tongues (Rauschenberg version)

I think at this point I'm the only one posting here who doesn't have this.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

I think at this point I'm the only one posting here who doesn't have this.

I didn't know this was a thing that existed until now :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
What is a 'talking head'? :confused: