Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
It's the ferrari to the ducati's lamborghini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

KARMA! posted:

It's the ferrari to the ducati's lamborghini.
I think you got that switched there.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

GanjamonII posted:

Originally I did want the RSV.. But then the more I thought it (and looked at insurance) the Tuono makes more sense.

I sat on it yesterday its like a big dirt bike. Also I'm 6' and can't flatfoot it.. haven't had that on any other bike I've sat on yet except the DRZ I got on at the dealer...

Oh and I don't care about having to explain it to others. I'll just say 'oh its Italian, you wouldn't understand' and strut away in my dainese jacket..

I probably said this, but it's surprisingly easy to get off of in corners.

As I've gotten used to it (what can I say, I'm old and cautious!), I've been getting my knee down with no trouble on my commute despite the initial feeling of size (if not weight).

Difference with the CBR is that with the Honda, you'd get off the seat as normal, then get off an inch more if you needed a knee on the deck. With the 'prillier, you get off the seat, then get off the seat like a FOOT more so you look like Joe Squidly in those LA canyon videos.

But, I guess due to the highish pegs plus the narrow tank and chassis, there's not really any feeling of falling off the top of a building when you lean it over. Nice!

Network
Sep 17, 2008
Ok. So I REALLY like the look of the Hyosung GT250 Comet's

There's an advertisement for one at $1000 with 14,000km.

The only problem with the bike is that it needs a new rear brake, rear tire and battery.

Would it be worth it to buy it, winterize it as much as possible to prevent damage, and work on it during the fall/winter to get it running? I would love to learn about motorcycle engines and I just want something to do during the fall and/or winter.

It starts up and runs, but just needs that new brake, battery and tire.

Here's the advertisement
http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-touring-2006-Hyosung-Comet-W0QQAdIdZ313886743

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
They're crappy bikes, but given canada's crazy expensive market and everything else, I'd show up with $600 in hand and see if he bites. If he does, you have something cheap to screw around with, if he doesn't, move on to the next bike. The GS500 looks pretty similar if you like that style of bike, with the added advantage of a proven engine and parts supply.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Agree with ^^

The whole parts availability and pricing thing could make a cheap purchase price bite you in the rear end pretty quickly.

That said, I have a bit of a morbid curiosity about the whole hyosung thing.

Edit: There are really good deals to be had on used bikes, even in Canada, especially at this time of year.

Network
Sep 17, 2008

slidebite posted:

Agree with ^^

The whole parts availability and pricing thing could make a cheap purchase price bite you in the rear end pretty quickly.

That said, I have a bit of a morbid curiosity about the whole hyosung thing.

Edit: There are really good deals to be had on used bikes, even in Canada, especially at this time of year.
Alright. Thanks! I'll try and see about the GS500 aswell. Are there any 250cc standard bikes like the comet? I just like the whole sport-bike look at the sides than the single headlamp

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I also live in Ontario. I just called RidersPlus about a GS500, the 2007 model is $1391/year ($116/mo) which doesn't sound awful.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I have a buddy with a hyosung 250 in Australia and he hasn't had any issues with his in the 2 years or so he's owned it. I don't think they're as bad as they're made out to be.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Somebody go buy this RC51, stat.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mcy/2592252140.html

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

GanjamonII posted:

I have a buddy with a hyosung 250 in Australia and he hasn't had any issues with his in the 2 years or so he's owned it. I don't think they're as bad as they're made out to be.

I don't think anyone is saying they're necessarily bad (at least I'm not), just that any savings in purchasing price can be pretty rapidly outdone by being a royal pain in the rear end in other ways.

I've seen a few around town here too.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Z3n posted:

canada's crazy expensive market

Serious?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

epswing posted:

Serious?

There's many areas of Canada where you guys seem to pay 30-50% more for comparable bikes than we do.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

'tis true, but it fairness I find it especially differential for newer bikes where the grotesque difference in MSRP is still most noticeable between the two countries.

It generally gets pretty leveled out as the bikes age unless there is some bizarre regional thing going on. For example, I've noticed that Alberta/BC are typically cheaper than the same bike in the East.

Network
Sep 17, 2008
Oh. Also. Another reason for me buying a cheap-rear end bike is that insurance for a year is $3,000 for me.

(19, M2)

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I realized that the Honda Shadow comes in a 600cc variety, which is ~$1700 to insure for me (28, M2).

What y'all think about this 2006 with less than 5000 km on it?

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-street-cruisers-choppers-2006-Honda-Shadow-VLX-600-Deluxe-W0QQAdIdZ314077536

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Wow Canadian insurance is crazy. I thought I was getting reamed on my sv... but its going to cost me less to insure a Tuono than a 600cc cruiser..

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

epswing posted:

I realized that the Honda Shadow comes in a 600cc variety, which is ~$1700 to insure for me (28, M2).

What y'all think about this 2006 with less than 5000 km on it?

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-street-cruisers-choppers-2006-Honda-Shadow-VLX-600-Deluxe-W0QQAdIdZ314077536

Hoooooly Jesus, I have a 600cc Shadow and for comprehensive coverage I'm out $700/year.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Im looking for a good starter bike for my girlfriend. This SV650 caught my attention because I believe they are good first bikes and because I think I would also have fun riding it. You cant really see it, but it has been low sided on the right side. There is a dent in the tank and the tiny plastic by the light is scratched. The left side looks like it was dropped at a very low speed. Mechanically he says it is solid. It also needs a rear tire. Given these issues would a price of say $2,600 to $2,800 be a decent buy?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah that'd be a good deal. Make sure the valves have been adjusted, if they haven't, it's definitely overdue, use that to bargain him down. Also check chain/sprockets/tire ages/etc.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Z3n posted:

Yeah that'd be a good deal. Make sure the valves have been adjusted, if they haven't, it's definitely overdue, use that to bargain him down. Also check chain/sprockets/tire ages/etc.

Good point, thanks. I forgot to ask about that. The back tire is definitely shot and the front is pretty much gone too. If nothing else it will be a good excuse for a little day trip to San Diego.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

GanjamonII posted:

Wow Canadian insurance is crazy. I thought I was getting reamed on my sv... but its going to cost me less to insure a Tuono than a 600cc cruiser..

$168/yr for my 2010 Concours 1400.

god i'm old

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
^ You also don't live in the big, bad city, man :D

Network posted:

Ok. So I REALLY like the look of the Hyosung GT250 Comet's

There's an advertisement for one at $1000 with 14,000km.

The only problem with the bike is that it needs a new rear brake, rear tire and battery.

Would it be worth it to buy it, winterize it as much as possible to prevent damage, and work on it during the fall/winter to get it running? I would love to learn about motorcycle engines and I just want something to do during the fall and/or winter.

It starts up and runs, but just needs that new brake, battery and tire.

Here's the advertisement
http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-touring-2006-Hyosung-Comet-W0QQAdIdZ313886743
How about a nice CX500?

StrppngYoungLad
Apr 8, 2007
strapping
Do y'all think this is a good deal?

http://bham.craigslist.org/mcy/2600783819.html

The "sat for 3 years, hesitates @ 5k" part worries me but if it just needs a little love I'm thinking it could end up being a steal.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

StrppngYoungLad posted:

The "sat for 3 years, hesitates @ 5k" part worries me but if it just needs a little love I'm thinking it could end up being a steal.

Way too much money. Only worth about a grand, considering you can buy a nice one for 2k, and that one's gonna need at least oil, tires, chain, brake fluid, etc. etc. etc.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

StrppngYoungLad posted:

I love these ads:

quote:

I'm sure a tank of gas and some seafoam and it'll be good to go.
So why the gently caress don't you do it then?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcd/2588737796.html

How much would you guys offer for this? I can't tell if there's crash damage on it, but if not, I was thinking maybe $400-500?

edit: Depending on tire age and chain wear of course. Forgot that I'd need oil and coolant as well.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

slidebite posted:

I love these ads:

So why the gently caress don't you do it then?

Same with this in ad in the case of "trun signle light". It's not the only problem though.

http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/2602007845.html

Everything after "I need to get stronger" I read in vegeta's voice.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
I'm thinking about picking up a CBR250R as a first bike. I took the MSF course and got my M1 a few months ago, but kinda put off going out and getting a bike.
I'm 5'10 and 145 lbs with short-ish arms and legs, so I think a small bike should be fine for me. I also like the idea of getting a light bike that's easy to handle.

Any thoughts on the pricing of this one?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/2596019779.html

quote:

2011 Honda CBR250R Black NON-ABS with ICON Patrol Gear - $4000 (napa county)

Date: 2011-09-13, 1:42AM PDT

2011 Honda CBR250R Black NON-ABS with ICON Patrol Gear

Where I bought It: Saint Helena, Honda Motorcycle Dealership (Parriott Motors)

Total Mileage: 1179 Miles, I got the motorcycle at 7/12/2011 therefore it is relatively new as I have only used it for 2 months.

Reason To Selling: I will be moving to New York in 2 months time and due to weather conditions in upstate New York (Snow), it is not advisable for me to ride my motorcycle and have decided to let it go and sell it.

Condition: I have dropped the motorcycle when I was going up a hill and lost power when I did not roll the throttle enough and have tipped at the bike when it was stationary as I lost balance during the first few weeks after getting the bike. Therefore, there are visible scratches but luckily, not on the painted areas. Srcatches are on the side of the leg pegs, side of handlebars and the muffler guard. The left side of the clutch lever is also bent when I tipped it but can be bent back and will look like new again.

Additional Notes: The silver stickers that you see on the bike are SOLAS tape, which is the brighest reflective tape in the market at the present moment. It was purely for safety reasons as I ride a lot at night after work and needed to make sure I will be seen by other motorist. The good thing is, if you do not want the stickers on the bike, it can be easily removed and will not strip the paint of anything as I have pasted them on NON-painted surfaces.

Additional Goods: ICON Patrol Waterproof Jacket Small (Priced $370), ICON Patrol Waterproof Pants Small (Priced $250) and ICON Patrol Waterproof Boots Sized 10.5 (Priced $130). I bought these items at motorcycle-superstore.com. It would be great if I can sell these items with the motorcycle as I have no use of them anymore. The items are still clean as I have only used them a few times and are in very good condition.

P.S: I have sent the bike for the 600 mile service and paid a good $200+ to maintain it in tip-top condition. I have also paid for registration. I bought a motorcycle cover so the bike is covered well when I am not using the bike.

Modification: Nothing has been tweaked or modified. This is the original Honda Model.

Please feel free to e-mail me and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank You!
James

It seems high to me considering a brand new one goes for $4k, but a good deal might be had if the seller can be talked down? If the gear all fits me, I'd be happy to take that too.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Why not go with a Ninja 250 instead? Cheaper, more available, more spares out there. Only reason I'd go with a CBR250R is if it came with ABS.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

/\/\/\/\ drat you and your helpful personality :argh:

Go for a Ninja 250 instead, it's got a little more power, which makes it somewhat more comfortable on the interstate. It's also a two-cylinder instead of a one-cylinder like in the CBR250R, so it's a lot smoother.

Plus, it's a really popular starter bike so you should be able to find a deal easily.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Yeah, the Ninjette is definitely on the list. The reason I was considering the CBR is the recent magazine comparisons that praised the handling, lightness, fuel injection, and torque. I'll mostly use the bike for getting around San Francisco, so I'm not that worried about freeway performance.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
After sitting on a honda it did fit my frame better (6'2" long rear end legs), whereas the ninja I can't properly grip the tank. Doesn't sound like it's a problem for you.

It's a little expensive for a first bike but really, it's already been down so what's the big deal?

Talking Head
May 9, 2009
Prices seem to be very unreasonable on craigslist. I see 8000miles 250cc model year 2004 bikes with asking prices of $3000-4000 all over the place. How are you guys getting good deals? It's like people are just fishing to rip off others, not sell quality bikes at a fair price.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I primarily used kijiji (local classifieds) to find my bike, which I went to see on Saturday and I'm picking up tomorrow :toot:. Mint condition 2005 Suzuki GS500 with 3000km for $3500 CAD (asking price was $3800). 3000km is practically nothing, so if it's $7000 new, $3500 is nice, I think.

I'm sure most sellers price the bike higher than it's worth, and expect to be talked down a few hundred bucks.

epswing fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 19, 2011

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=180726980188

Cheap and awesome, or stupid? Seriously tempted by the buy it now, tbh.

Sorry about the mobile URL, I'm on my phone until I finish moving ...

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Talking Head posted:

Prices seem to be very unreasonable on craigslist. I see 8000miles 250cc model year 2004 bikes with asking prices of $3000-4000 all over the place. How are you guys getting good deals? It's like people are just fishing to rip off others, not sell quality bikes at a fair price.

Offer what it's worth to you. Worst they can say is no.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Talking Head posted:

Same here. I think all the idiots who impluse buy in the summer just realized it's getting colder and said "welp, time to sell my bike for a mint and use the money to buy a brand new snowmobile!" :downs:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I need the safety certificate to get the license plate. But I need a license plate to drive the bike to a garage to get the safe certificate.

... :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
If you get pulled over riding it from one to the other it's 20 years hard labor.