Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Twiin posted:

I suspect the rights likely belong to Chris and Cosey now.

How does that make sense? Not sure about Peter, but Geoff at least had a long term partner-- I'd assume that if he had a will, Ian was in it.

I'd imagine that the discography will probably never come into print again, except for bootlegs or quasi-legal pressings-- the kind of stuff that even went on while Coil were functioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

chime_on posted:

How does that make sense? Not sure about Peter, but Geoff at least had a long term partner-- I'd assume that if he had a will, Ian was in it.

My understanding is that Sleazy took full ownership of Coil when Jhonn died, and Chris was the person that was took care of Sleazy's affairs when he died (and was his closest friend). It would make sense for Sleazy to leave the music to someone who is a musical partner.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I found it.

The worst supposedly electro-industrial song.

It's like a terrible attempt to be LMFAO.

Corporate Soldiers - Party Til We Die

I got this piece of crap on a compilation sandwiched between tracks by Solitary Experiments and Patenbrigade: Wolff :smith:

The only redeeming feature is that it doesn't have a cheesy video of goggle-wearing guys and scantily clad goth girls dancing.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I found it.

I feel like I should not operate heavy machinery listening to that, or maybe like I need to write to my aunt I ain't talked to in a while.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

I found it.

Corporate Soldiers - Party Til We Die

I got this piece of crap on a compilation sandwiched between tracks by Solitary Experiments and Patenbrigade: Wolff :smith:

Sounds like someone trying to have a little fun with some random stock acappella sample. (I hope?)

I'm in a benefit of the doubt kinda mood tonight.

quote:

The only redeeming feature is that it doesn't have a cheesy video of goggle-wearing guys and scantily clad goth girls dancing.

Try watching that eisenfunk - pong vid and not dying of third party embarrassment.
protip : don't.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

hatelull posted:

And this is the problem with genre definitions, unless you were taking the piss. A lot of this thread talks about stuff like Covenant, VNV Nation, mind.in.a.box and a bunch of other synthy euro stuff that (to me) sounds like updated Depeche Mode remixed by edgy trance artists. Yeah, you can trace it back to what 242 was doing on their classic Wax Trax albums but still it's a huge leap.

Lately I've just taken to calling this genre "Metropolis" (Metropolis Records has signed most of my favorite bands, and they all fall into that category of 'synthy industrial dance' describe above)

If anyone has a better name for this subgenre (or hell, a better thread 'round here), please let me know. I love finding new bands along this vein. In the last year or so I've been playing the poo poo out of the Seabound and Edge of Dawn discogs.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Jose Mengelez posted:

Try watching that eisenfunk - pong vid and not dying of third party embarrassment.

gently caress you for reminding me that that video and that band exist.

They also have a new video with CGI on par with Judas Priest's video for War. Give it a peek if you're just itching to get your cheeks red with Fremdschämen.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Right, so just to be in the loop I youtubered that "Pong" video.

What's with the "gas mask" aesthetic? Is it some nod toward the post-apocalyptic future where only the euro-friendly Metropolis fanbase will survive the inevitable VX Gas Attack, or are they just keeping themselves jacked into the Nitrous 24/7?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

hatelull posted:

Right, so just to be in the loop I youtubered that "Pong" video.

What's with the "gas mask" aesthetic? Is it some nod toward the post-apocalyptic future where only the euro-friendly Metropolis fanbase will survive the inevitable VX Gas Attack, or are they just keeping themselves jacked into the Nitrous 24/7?

Ether and vics vaporub.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jose Mengelez posted:

I've seen it. oh god. That song is really popular at one of the clubs I go to. I saw a band a few years ago who basically looked like that video, but chubbier and on stage in front of me. Can't remember who they were, but they were a really poor Suicide Commando-wannabe act from Spain, I think. I'm reasonably sure the singer was rocking a futuristic targeting-monocle-eyepatch thing.

hatelull posted:

Most goth clubs I've been in smell kinda weird, and some goth-industrial types smell pretty weird themselves so I guess they're useful that way?

It's pretty funny when you're in a lovely tiny back-room-of-pub type "club night" and there's someone totally cybered up with giant fake hair, flourescent clothes and a glowing respirator.

On the other hand, here is some good music by Libido Formandi.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

When I was in Toronto a few years back, I think for Covenant, I met a DJ who said for one of the upcoming nights cover was waived if you were wearing a gas mask, so I guess they're good for that too.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
Stop bashing the masks guys, people with no chins deserve to look cool too.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Seeing uncertainty about The Downward Spiral, I have to ask if there would be any opposition to including Negativland's Escape From Noise in classic industrial albums, particularly since it has this track.

Then again, you could have Velvet Acid Christ! :haw:

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

I've seen it. oh god. That song is really popular at one of the clubs I go to. I saw a band a few years ago who basically looked like that video, but chubbier and on stage in front of me. Can't remember who they were, but they were a really poor Suicide Commando-wannabe act from Spain, I think. I'm reasonably sure the singer was rocking a futuristic targeting-monocle-eyepatch thing.

Are you sure you're not talking about Uberbyte?

(I loving despise Uberbyte)

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I saw a poster today that said Hanzel und Gretyl are coming to Kitchener for Oktoberfest as part of their tour (also going to Thunder Bay? what?). Is there any recommended listening from them to see if I want to go?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Armor-Piercing posted:

I saw a poster today that said Hanzel und Gretyl are coming to Kitchener for Oktoberfest as part of their tour (also going to Thunder Bay? what?). Is there any recommended listening from them to see if I want to go?

I used to be a big HuG fan but I don't like the way they keep flirting with a nazi aesthetic. I don't think they have any actual nazi sympathies but I definitely think they're guilty of courting an audience that does.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

TOOT BOOT posted:

I used to be a big HuG fan but I don't like the way they keep flirting with a nazi aesthetic. I don't think they have any actual nazi sympathies but I definitely think they're guilty of courting an audience that does.

Where's the ridiculous video of them hanging out with the gothsicles?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

TOOT BOOT posted:

That poo poo was tired in 79, for gently caress's sake.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007
Shut up guys Laibach is brilliant

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Zaiquiri posted:

Shut up guys Laibach is brilliant

Laibach is a completely different beast and on a whole another level, keep them out of this

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

The difference is that Laibach aren't so much doing it ironically as they are doing it politically to make a point.

Plus they pull it off really well.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Probably not going to end up going then. The more I look at their site and info, the less I want to go. The whole "we're so German!" thing starts off kind of funny but gets obnoxious really quickly. I mean, they really put "Holy Shiza!" on their tour posters.

Edit: VVVVV You're right, they are. I kind of got that impression just from how over the top everything is, but I dismissed it as them playing it up for publicity. Nope, they're from New York.

Armor-Piercing fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 15, 2011

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Aren't they American anyway? It's just insulting.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
Last time HuG played Canada, their bassist got stuck at the border, and they just got some girl with red hair to fake it on stage for the rest of the tour. So loving lame.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Twiin posted:

Last time HuG played Canada, their bassist got stuck at the border, and they just got some girl with red hair to fake it on stage for the rest of the tour. So loving lame.

Hahahahaha seriously? And they didn't tell the audience?

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Laibach is a completely different beast and on a whole another level, keep them out of this

They were the vanguard for that poo poo and unfortunately no one else 'got' it but decided to mimic it anyway.

DJEldritch
Mar 17, 2008

Sometimes in life, you have to screw the root to stay on top of things and ride the crazy train to stay real.

However, if you're not careful, the root might screw you.

Twiin posted:

My understanding is that Sleazy took full ownership of Coil when Jhonn died, and Chris was the person that was took care of Sleazy's affairs when he died (and was his closest friend). It would make sense for Sleazy to leave the music to someone who is a musical partner.

A lot of people forget about Coil's other band member, Stephen Thrower (who is not dead). He's actually still making coil'esque music under the name, Cyclobe.

I'd say if anyone is going to get the rights to the albums and songs, it's going to be him.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Hahahahaha seriously? And they didn't tell the audience?

Nope.

DJEldritch posted:

A lot of people forget about Coil's other band member, Stephen Thrower (who is not dead). He's actually still making coil'esque music under the name, Cyclobe.

I'd say if anyone is going to get the rights to the albums and songs, it's going to be him.

There's also Danny Hyde, and Thighpaulsandra, and...

But my understanding is that they're likely in Chris and/or Cosey's hands. I'll ask someone who's part of that whole scene to see if they know for sure.

Twiin fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 15, 2011

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Furret Basket posted:

Are you sure you're not talking about Uberbyte?

(I loving despise Uberbyte)

I also despise Uberbyte. They're pretty appalling.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Continuing Id's love of industrial soundtracks, Maynard James Keenan is doing Rage's music: http://www.giantbomb.com/rage-wants-you-to-hibernate-until-its-release/17-4888/

It's... pretty nice!

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

boo_radley posted:

Continuing Id's love of industrial soundtracks, Maynard James Keenan is doing Rage's music: http://www.giantbomb.com/rage-wants-you-to-hibernate-until-its-release/17-4888/

It's... pretty nice!

Is he actually doing the soundtrack? Because that song is off of eMOTIVE.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Back in 1985, me and my electro-industrial band Volt 9000 were able to get on Toronto public access TV.

It looks a little dated but I think it's still pretty relevant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xl4wuVvfXM

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Ha! Why does that fast little breakdown remind me of ohGr tracks?

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

The Cleaner posted:

Back in 1985, me and my electro-industrial band Volt 9000 were able to get on Toronto public access TV.

The power glove came out in 1989. :colbert:

P.M.F.
May 6, 2007

Do as I say, not as I do.

The Cleaner posted:

Back in 1985...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xl4wuVvfXM

If you hadn't written the date I wouldn't have had a clue as to whether or not the video was filmed then, or a spot on perfect re-creation of something filmed for 80's public access. A joy to watch, really.

Do you still have the glove?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

The Cleaner posted:

I started humming "I want my... I want my... I want my MTV..." during the opening.

I love the VHS transfer and the Bryce Lynchian keyboardist.

So this is you, right? http://www.volt9000.com/biography.html

hatelull posted:

Ha! Why does that fast little breakdown remind me of ohGr tracks?

I thought the same thing, or some pigface stuff, insect suspect or similar.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

P.M.F. posted:

If you hadn't written the date I wouldn't have had a clue as to whether or not the video was filmed then, or a spot on perfect re-creation of something filmed for 80's public access. A joy to watch, really.

Do you still have the glove?

I think it is a recreation. The date and power glove production date aside, one of the tags on the video is "joke". And according to their website they formed in 2007. v:confused:v

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Furret Basket posted:

The power glove came out in 1989. :colbert:

Well.. see.. I had this awesome uncle that worked for Nintendo and he got me the glove early cause he worked on the prototype back in 1984. I do still have the glove today.

No.. I most certainly did not find it at a thrift store in Toronto last month and faked the whole video in my garage and then dumped it onto VHS tape back and forth a bunch of times to make it look old. I mean, why would someone do that?

Thanks P.M.F. Ya the whole project is very OhGr/Pigface/1980's inspired.

The Cleaner fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 16, 2011

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

The Cleaner posted:

dumped it onto VHS tape back and forth a bunch of times to make it look old.

See, this is the way to do it, rather than simply inserting VHS errors in post a la Sex Offender Shuffle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

The Cleaner posted:

Nice, more people should start using Ogre's cut up vocal rapping.