Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

VMWare Fusion 4 is finally out. I'm tempted to snag the update, but I'm going to wait for the inevitable Parallels 7 vs. Fusion 4 articles.
Came to post about that, here's the What's New page, the arbitrary graphics bars are 2.5x longer! It says the $50 price is a limited time promo price too, no clue on normal price though.

Edit: actual 4.0 release notes: http://www.vmware.com/support/fusion4/doc/releasenotes_fusion_40.html
And 4.0.1 :v: (just one fix it looks like): http://www.vmware.com/support/fusion4/doc/releasenotes_fusion_401.html

It requires 64-bit and recommends 10.7, although 10.6 is still supported. Interesting blurb on the What's New page I missed before:

quote:

VMware Fusion 4 now supports OS X Lion in a virtual machine. Get more from your Mac by running OS X Lion, OS X Lion Server, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Mac OS X Leopard in virtual machines. VMware Fusion 4 is the best way to develop and test new applications for the Mac and iOS.
Wonder if they just missed putting Server in there, but that (allowing virtualization) only started with 10.6 Server didn't it?

japtor fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Sep 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What was that goon-approved fink/ports replacement that was mentioned a while ago? For some reason I can't find where we were talking about it and I want to install nmap. I guess I'd like to not worry about fink/ports if I don't have to and if this is better.

e: Was it Homebrew?

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 14, 2011

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Martytoof posted:

What was that goon-approved fink/ports replacement that was mentioned a while ago? For some reason I can't find where we were talking about it and I want to install nmap. I guess I'd like to not worry about fink/ports if I don't have to and if this is better.

e: Was it Homebrew?

It was homebrew, but warning it fucks with your /usr/local permissions. I went to macports after it hosed that poo poo up.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fucks up as in can't repair with Disk Utility?

I really only need it for a handful of apps, and so far it seems like the only inhabitant of /usr/local so I'm hoping it doesn't break anything big. Thanks for the heads up though.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 14, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Man I would kill if there was one, standard, Apple-supported (well maybe not that) packaging tool.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

SwimNurd posted:

It was homebrew, but warning it fucks with your /usr/local permissions. I went to macports after it hosed that poo poo up.

Could you be more specific? I swear by Homebrew precisely because it doesn't require special permissions to do anything. Is there a issue for this already on their GitHub page?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

japtor posted:

Came to post about that, here's the What's New page, the arbitrary graphics bars are 2.5x longer! It says the $50 price is a limited time promo price too, no clue on normal price though.
That's great if you don't own it already, but it's a terrible upgrade price. As a VMWare user it's $29 to upgrade to Parallels 7.

And last year VMWare Fusion upgrades from any version of Fusion or Parallels were just $9.99.

I switched from Parallels 5 to VMWare Fusion 3.1 to Parallels 7 for less than the cost of a straight upgrade of either.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 14, 2011

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but 1Password is now in the Mac App Store. It's half-off, or $20, until tomorrow. Purchasers will get the upgrade to 4.0 for free when it drops.

(Also, it's worth noting that while they'll support 3.8 for a while yet, they are NOT going to release 3.9 or 4.0 from their web site - those are MAS-exclusives.)

I don't work for them or anything, but it is one of my favorite apps of all time.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Thoom posted:

Splashtop Remote Desktop also installs it for the purpose of redirecting audio to their iPad client.

That was it. I was looking for RDP alternatives and didn't realize Splash can only serve from a mac but not to it.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Fren posted:

Could you be more specific? I swear by Homebrew precisely because it doesn't require special permissions to do anything. Is there a issue for this already on their GitHub page?

It wanted to change ownership of local to my account, and bitched about some other software I had installed in local. It then creates a bunch of symlinks for the homebrew software instead of just modifying your local shell profile to look in the homebrew install directory.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

frumpsnake posted:

That's great if you don't own it already, but it's a terrible upgrade price. As a VMWare user it's $29 to upgrade to Parallels 7.

And last year VMWare Fusion upgrades from any version of Fusion or Parallels were just $9.99.

I switched from Parallels 5 to VMWare Fusion 3.1 to Parallels 7 for less than the cost of a straight upgrade of either.
I'm probably going to wait for another deal like that since my VM needs aren't exactly pressing right now. Otherwise I saw this posted over on the Ars forums:

quote:

It seems the promo-code "FUSION20" for 20% off still (?) works.

Oh, and there might be upgrade pricing:

quote:

Upgrade Entitlements Timing
Upgrades for the following products: View 5, Fusion 4, Workstation 8, Site Recovery Manager 5, and vFabric will be available on the licensing portal by the week of 9/19. If you have questions, please contact License support.
(from the License Portal which I only saw after ordering a full copy). >_<
Another poster confirmed the 20% off code works, making it $40 for now at least. Not sure about the entitlements but I'm thinking that's for people that subscribed to some extended support/upgrade thing way back.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

SwimNurd posted:

It wanted to change ownership of local to my account, and bitched about some other software I had installed in local. It then creates a bunch of symlinks for the homebrew software instead of just modifying your local shell profile to look in the homebrew install directory.

Yeah, the permissions poo poo is really loving dumb with Homebrew, but it's not much different than the permissions poo poo you already have to deal with from gem, easy_install, and cpan. I really don't understand why these utilities are willing to install things to system-wide directories without changing the permissions from whatever one user's umask happens to be.

OTOH, even dealing with the stupid permissions problems, it's way less bullshit than MacPorts.

"Hey, let's install irssi!"
*compiles perl from source*

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

I really never had any major issues with macports, sure having 2 copies of perl/python/Xorg can be annoying. At least it doesn't gently caress with my permissions.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SwimNurd posted:

I really never had any major issues with macports, sure having 2 copies of perl/python/Xorg can be annoying. At least it doesn't gently caress with my permissions.

Multiple versions of things happens all the time in the Unix world. One from the vendor, which gets upgraded with the OS so you can't depend on it for anything that needs specific versions, and one you install yourself because you need a specific version of something.

That magic line at the start of a script in Unix ? #!/bin/python ? If you need a specific version, install it to /usr and then specify that in your scripts.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That permission thing doesn't seem to be an issue on my 10.7 install. Homebrew installed and compiled nmap, but /usr/lib is still root:admin and looks to be 775. Unless /usr/local/ isn't supposed to be group writeable which I guess might be an issue but the group is admin so whatever.

e: oh /usr/local/* is owned by me now :downs: -- okay, that is pretty dumb. Disregard everything I posted above.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 14, 2011

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

mllaneza posted:

That magic line at the start of a script in Unix ? #!/bin/python ? If you need a specific version, install it to /usr and then specify that in your scripts.

You should not be installing into /usr unless it is though the package management system. There are plenty of ways to handle which version you want to run though the shebang.

E: spelling.

SwimNurd fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 14, 2011

205b
Mar 25, 2007

I downloaded the trial version of Fusion 4 rather than upgrade immediately, and it looks like they're still using their own fullscreen implementation, except now the animation is broken. :v:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For someone that's not too knowledgeable about this stuff beyond basics, what are the implications of it loving up permissions/ownership on /usr/local? Security cause anything from your account can write there and/or messing things up in a multiuser environment?

ninepints posted:

I downloaded the trial version of Fusion 4 rather than upgrade immediately, and it looks like they're still using their own fullscreen implementation, except now the animation is broken. :v:
I was wondering about that since they didn't seem to explicitly say they supported Lion's full screen mode on their page, guess that answers that.

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!
My LastPass subscription is about to expire in a few days. Anyone out there who has used both and call tell me how it compares to 1Password? Should I consider switching while the MAS version is half-off?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
1Password is fantastic, save for their obsessive desire to update the Safari extension every other day. I threw my database into my Dropbox folder, and 1Password was smart enough to see that and use it on every computer I own.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

japtor posted:

For someone that's not too knowledgeable about this stuff beyond basics, what are the implications of it loving up permissions/ownership on /usr/local? Security cause anything from your account can write there and/or messing things up in a multiuser environment?

Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, this is the way I was taught by a crusty old unix neckbeard with a lazy eye. /usr/local is for root installed applications outside of the package management system. Generally in Linux and some Unix systems, it is used for things like user compiled applications, perl modules installed by cpan, python modules installed by easy_install, etc. The key here is that it is shared by all users on the system. But you say, "Swimnurd, I am the sole user of my system, why not just let my account own that folder?" Well daemons (Services) tend to run as a user that is just for that daemon. If the daemon, was user compiled or needed any installed software in /usr/local and lacks the proper rights to access it, the application will core. Sure, you can play with the permissions to allow other accounts access to those shared libraries and poo poo, but by default most systems are set up to do this in the first place. Why reinvent the wheel?

MacPorts to get around messing with permissions in the /usr/local directory, it creates a clone of /usr/local in /opt, called /opt/local. Then modifies your shell configuration to include that install root in your environment. Effectively, creating a walled garden, MacPorts works like a package manager and keeps track of all installed software in its clean disk space. It has a nice side effect of giving the option of allowing each user to participate in the ports installed software or not participate and just use the defaults.

Homebrew seems to install its software in /usr/local/cellar and then symlink install into /usr/local. It also by default allows you not to be elevated root though sudo to run homebrew. Which is why it changes ownership to /usr/local to your account. This works on a clean install, but if you have ever installed anything into /usr/local it will gently caress your poo poo up. What I don't understand is why homebrew doesn't just install to the users profile instead of modifying system directories. To me it seems like it was written by a very lazy admin, who can't be bothered to use sudo. These practices are dangerous and will always lead to trouble down the line.

TL;DR: Homebrew does crazy poo poo. Don't use it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If they just changed it to require sudo like a normal package manager should then this would be a moot point. What a dumb practice. This is what groups are for anyway, so you don't need to explicitly give one user ownership of a directory like /usr/local/everything.

That being said, I do like their minimalist "don't compile perl if it's already on the system" thing they have going. Is there a comparable package manager that will use what's there? I realize that's a dangerous precedent because an OS update could break all your apps, but I'm willing to take that chance to save a few seconds/minutes of compile time I guess.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bob Morales posted:

Man I would kill if there was one, standard, Apple-supported (well maybe not that) packaging tool.
Oh God yes. I tried MacPorts again with their own GUI interface, but the GUI keeps crashing when you load it, and they still haven't fixed it.

I have Maths students/academics wanting weird loving Python/Fortran/etc packages and addons, and having a proper endorsed and maintained Apple package setup would make my job 100000000 times easier

SwimNurd posted:

TL;DR: Homebrew does crazy poo poo. Don't use it.
Really? I thought Homebrew was goon approved. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

You Am I fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 15, 2011

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So apparently there's a firmware update for the 2011 MBPs that enable the internet recovery option in Lion (and fixes some random Thunderbolt crap).

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002
I am constantly sending mail from the wrong address. Is there a way, perhaps a plugin, for Mail (on Lion) that will pop up a window and force me to choose an account before actually sending anything?

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

You Am I posted:

Oh God yes. I tried MacPorts again with their own GUI interface, but the GUI keeps crashing when you load it, and they still haven't fixed it.

I didn't even know macports has a GUI. It really isn't that difficult to use on the commandline.

code:
$ sudo ports install irssi

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Rudix seems like the way to go iff they have the package you want.

http://code.google.com/p/rudix/wiki/Packages

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was just about to complain that there's no distribution system that hands out precompiled binaries, but that's exactly what fink offers. I might try fink then, I guess.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Martytoof posted:

I was just about to complain that there's no distribution system that hands out precompiled binaries, but that's exactly what fink offers. I might try fink then, I guess.

My experience with fink is that all of their packages are, in grand Debian tradition, way the gently caress out of date. If that doesn't bother you then it's probably the cleanest solution.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

It's not a problem to install homebrew in any directory you want (even though they have a warning about it in their docs). I put it in ~/homebrew.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

Martytoof posted:

That being said, I do like their minimalist "don't compile perl if it's already on the system" thing they have going. Is there a comparable package manager that will use what's there? I realize that's a dangerous precedent because an OS update could break all your apps, but I'm willing to take that chance to save a few seconds/minutes of compile time I guess.

The thing is, half the time a major OS update would gently caress up Fink and MacPorts ANYWAY, and if it did, you can bet your rear end that they took their sweet time compiling a new batch of binaries to go along with it.

I do understand that not using system provided packages is theoretically "cleaner" and sometimes the only workable solution if a certain package depends on a different version of something that ships with the OS. Even so, recompiling Perl and OpenSSL all the time got to be a major pain in the rear end.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
If you're using Final Cut this might be something for you.

Avid is running a discount on Media Composer, selling it for $995 until Oct. 1st.

Link here.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

SwimNurd posted:

I didn't even know macports has a GUI. It really isn't that difficult to use on the commandline.

code:
$ sudo ports install irssi
Yes, but I am also dealing with other techs who have grown up with Windows and don't know what a command line is, and academics who have grown up on Macs and are scared of doing terminal commands. I can't be there to hold their hands all the time

Thoom posted:

My experience with fink is that all of their packages are, in grand Debian tradition, way the gently caress out of date. If that doesn't bother you then it's probably the cleanest solution.
I used to use Fink with 10.4 and 10.5, however the lack of a proper pkg binary installer for 10.6 annoyed the poo poo out of me. And yes, I know it can be installed by the command line, but look above for the reasons why I don't.

You Am I fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 15, 2011

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.
Does Lion fullscreen still act strange with multiple monitors?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

vlack posted:

The thing is, half the time a major OS update would gently caress up Fink and MacPorts ANYWAY, and if it did, you can bet your rear end that they took their sweet time compiling a new batch of binaries to go along with it.

I do understand that not using system provided packages is theoretically "cleaner" and sometimes the only workable solution if a certain package depends on a different version of something that ships with the OS. Even so, recompiling Perl and OpenSSL all the time got to be a major pain in the rear end.

Its also loving messy sometimes. I remember using, uh either fink or macports or both when I first got my mac and installing some python stuff which then installed its own python which then decided to make itself the system python and finally the whole thing lit on fire and I reformatted because i didnt know enough about how the mac thinks or where it puts stuff to fix it.

I like homebrew because theres one anointed python, the system one, and and I'm not loving around trying to bludgeon different versions of python to cooperate.

For me the "use the system provided poo poo where possible" is absolutely the deal-maker.

But yeah it'd be nice if Apple either provided their own apt-get or ports or homebrew system that had an official apple repository and perhaps one or two "apple approved but not supported" community ones.

Or poo poo, if apple just said something like "Guys homebrew is cool, use homebrew".

But other than occasionally bitching me out about existing files, its been a flawless experience for me.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I bought a bluetooth receiver so I can stream music to my speakers from my iMac. It works perfectly with everything except skype (I don't have the options in prefs to change the output device).

Why is that?

KingEup fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 15, 2011

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Crush posted:

Does Lion fullscreen still act strange with multiple monitors?

If by strangely you mean it ignores the secondary monitor and is essentially useless, yes.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Manky posted:

If by strangely you mean it ignores the secondary monitor and is essentially useless, yes.

Using Dock Dodger can circumvent this. There's some stupid three finger swipe CMD+Tab method too but sod doing that every time.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Neurophonic posted:

Using Dock Dodger can circumvent this. There's some stupid three finger swipe CMD+Tab method too but sod doing that every time.

I'm not sure what you mean. The problem is that when you make an app fullscreen, it dominates the primary monitor and there's nothing you can do to make use of the second monitor. You can't drag windows onto it, you can't make a second app fullscreen in that space, it's honestly such a half-assed implementation. How does removing an application's dock icon work around that? That would be so fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
I haven't had any issues with Homebrew. I even upgraded to Lion and my homebrew'd apps kept working.

I don't get the Homebrew hate. I love it, especially since I don't have to compile all of the core utilities just to get PAR installed.

:colbert: