Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Logtar posted:

Does anybody have any idea why 1.8 made my minecraft run like poo poo? I'm running an ATI 4850 and I have never had problems with minecraft before, but then this poo poo started happening: http://i.imgur.com/DLx6D.png The game is unplayable :(

I'm using a 4850, no lag spikes for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Taffer posted:

Put the minecraft_server.jar file anywhere you want.

Create a text document, and paste this:

code:
java -Xms512M -Xmx1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui
and save it as start.bat, in the same folder that minecraft_server.jar is in.

Double click it, and the server will start. Don't bother with the .exe, you don't need it.

Beautiful, thanks. Even better.

...but now I have a different problem. I have no idea what's up now. I'm in, I'm opped, but everything I punch instantly reappears, and nothing drops.

EDIT - Maybe it's only this one chunk? I walked a little ways away and could dig okay. No idea.

DOUBLE EDIT - Now the /time command isn't working? What the balls.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 15, 2011

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Uh, can you not turn your creative world into a survival world and vice versa at all? The creative mode is pointless if you can't, in my opinion. It'll be right back to using world edit and toomanyitems on survival.

edit: Wow, I don't like the hunger bar at all. I wish I could turn it off without turning the game on peaceful.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 15, 2011

Bradzor
Mar 18, 2007
Fwhaa?
Hey kas, any chance I could have a Painterly 1.8 preview texture pack of some sort? I would love to check it out, even if it's just the one you're using now, without the customization. Thanks!

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

FirePhoenix posted:

Dammit, where is the village near spawn on the Something Awful seed? I cannot find it even when turning my render to Far and making my laptop hate me.

The one I found is at~ x:87, z:31

im underground right now so those coordinates might be a little off

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

Allen Wren posted:

EDIT - Maybe it's only this one chunk? I walked a little ways away and could dig okay. No idea.

I think spawn protection is applied by default for a few block radius around spawn in the server config.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
I'm posting this as a farewell to my old creation. Starting in 1.3, I resolved to make a city that was impregnable to hostile mobs. Not just "they can't spawn here", I wanted it to be "They can't get here." And thus was born:

My floating island. From the other side:

It's

really

big. Did I mention that it's solid? According to my calculations, there are approximately 61,000 blocks just in the cone of the island, nevermind including the buildings. The exterior alone is roughly 7,125 blocks. And the only way up is on these docks:

This ladderway here:

Is in place of the old water elevator that I had to scrap.

:argh:

Before I post the pictures of the random buildings I populated this island with, I want to show one thing. A friend asked, "Where the gently caress did you get all that stone?" Well, if you go to the second picture, you'll see what looks like a dirt house with trees on it. That was essentially where I spawned and it was my first house on this map. So many mobs ambushed me from above this door:

This was my original sleeping and storage while I accumulated materials:

Which I got by making this staircase:

Which leads

down to

The Vault.

It's roughly 115 blocks by 70 blocks and 7 blocks high. There are 228 columns and 912 torches, thus ensuring mining safety. It's not big enough to give me all the stoneI needed, but I got enough by getting bored occasionally and heading out to adventure.

Screenshot for depth:

Which is necessary, because a lot of people were asking how to get slimes. This thing is almost a slime generator. Every second time I came down here, there was at least one slime and once I almost got killed by a loving mob of them. Here are the pelts of a couple (easy) kills:

And that concludes the informative part of the tour. Those three of you who're still interested, here are (in order)the guard tower/anchor building, restaurant, incinerator, granery, construction supply storage, lighthouse, and inn.

Farewell, old friend. I shall remember you as I upgrade to 1.8.

Logtar
Sep 15, 2008

by T. Fine

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I am so jealous, sir.

melaTONE
Nov 5, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
So I have the old straight-to-menu launcher and have been getting a "Login Failed" Message for the past couple hours. Is the common solution uninstall/reinstall? I thought it is just doing this since they are changing minecraft.net. :saddowns:

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

I love that floating island! I made a smaller version on a buddies multipleyer server once. We even had it hooked up to the regional rail line.

Of course it kinda....disappeared when my cloaked orbital bombardment station hiding in it's shadowed underbelly suffered a mis-fire.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

melaTONE posted:

So I have the old straight-to-menu launcher and have been getting a "Login Failed" Message for the past couple hours. Is the common solution uninstall/reinstall? I thought it is just doing this since they are changing minecraft.net. :saddowns:

Switching to the newer launcher fixed it for me.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

kas posted:

Just like to give everyone a status report on Painterly for 1.8:

I have everything completely done graphics-wise except the poison spider, but there's a TON of coding required to get the graphics into the back end, due in no small part to the new GUI changes. On top of everything else, I'm also losing my house so I've been wrapped up in getting my moving arrangements and whatnot sorted out, so things have been really hectic and I haven't been able to spend as much time on this update as I'd have liked.

Best guess for the painterly update going live is probably sometime between Saturday and Tuesday.

drat, that's some awful stuff to deal with, Kas. I was hoping you hadn't done chicken and beef yet or I'd offer you to use the ones I made for Baldur's Craft.

Bacon by Kas, natch

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Got a technical issue here. If I play via browser, my java begins consuming more and more of my processing power until it crashes. I don't know what's causing this or how I can stop this. Anyone familiar with this sort of issue?

Edit: I also tried playing via on just the comp, same problem. It crashes once it hits a certain level of process-hogging. It never used to do this before until I tried installing yogbox on an earlier minecraft version and then it began that crashing thing. I've since uninstalled it but the crashing continues.

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 15, 2011

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Does anyone have a seed of a waterworld with slightly larger, maybe biome-ey islands?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Logtar posted:

I am so jealous, sir.

You think HE'S lucky? I'm stuck here on a single core Pentium 4 processor and an ATI Radeon 4650, and I get absolutely flawless FPS. The only lag I have ever really gotten while playing MC is during massive TNT explosions or changing the fog level. I am truly the luckiest Minecrafter on Earth. Then again, maybe not, considering Minecraft is really the only "modern-made" game I can really play without playing a Powerpoint Slideshow version of said game.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So I have a question! Why are there endermen in my caves and ravine that have purple eyes and give off purple particles? It's kind of worrying :ohdear:

toa5t
Apr 12, 2004

Of course I am.

Here is my just made world with the seed "charlie".
Not a lot of land to work with.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So I have a question! Why are there endermen in my caves and ravine that have purple eyes and give off purple particles? It's kind of worrying :ohdear:

Wiki says that they were all changed to have that effect.

It is not a Magic Enderman.

drquasius
Dec 25, 2004

HAL9100 posted:

Switching to the newer launcher fixed it for me.

Yeah, that solved my problem as well.

Edit: A charged creeper just blew up my warehouse.

drquasius fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 15, 2011

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Same card, lag spikes last night.
Haven't played much though.

Garbow
Sep 1, 2011

by angerbeet
Okay, so I just built a nice house, and I'm constantly hearing zombie groans inside it. Although there is nothing in sight except a cave thats a bit aways from my house.

Now everytime I try to sleep in the bed at night, it sims a bit of time, then I get attacked by a zombie. Inside my house. Then it won't respawn me in my bed, because it keeps saying something is near it. So it puts me way out in the woods (my original spawn)

Is my house loving haunted?

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Garbow posted:

Okay, so I just built a nice house, and I'm constantly hearing zombie groans inside it. Although there is nothing in sight except a cave thats a bit aways from my house.

Now everytime I try to sleep in the bed at night, it sims a bit of time, then I get attacked by a zombie. Inside my house. Then it won't respawn me in my bed, because it keeps saying something is near it. So it puts me way out in the woods (my original spawn)

Is my house loving haunted?

Build a basement, you've probably got a cave/dungeon under it.

Garbow
Sep 1, 2011

by angerbeet

Tardcore posted:

Build a basement, you've probably got a cave/dungeon under it.

I thought that, but why would it spawn the zombie INSIDE my house, if there's a cave under it?

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Garbow posted:

I thought that, but why would it spawn the zombie INSIDE my house, if there's a cave under it?

The bed's rules are all sorts of weird, you can get stuff spawning on you if its touching a corner sometimes. If there's nothing under the house just try moving the bed.

Chew Toy
Nov 28, 2010

I'm unhappy, Jon.
Is anyone else having trouble registering an account?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Brand new update = Notch's site being hammered for a day or two. Wait til tomorrow and try registering again.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Garbow posted:

Notch coding. If you want sleep that actually passes time and works well, try Somnia if it gets updated to 1.8.

Vlogging Queen
Feb 12, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Uh, can you not turn your creative world into a survival world and vice versa at all? The creative mode is pointless if you can't, in my opinion. It'll be right back to using world edit and toomanyitems on survival.

For single player, not in-game, but you can change it by editing the level.dat with a tool like NBTedit.

On a multiplayer server you can switch modes for individual players on the fly with the gamemode command.

Frogmarched
Jul 11, 2011
Is it me or is the new terrain generator absolute poo poo? its like:

flatish forest
flatish pine forest
flatish grassland
flat desert
flat swamp
huge impossible mountain ranges.

everything is way to far apart, with the parameters so strict everything is boring apart from the mountain ranges. One seed I literally was slap band in-between the two forest biomes, it took ages to even glimpse a desert.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Nope, been working awesome for me. I get nice height variations in everything but the swamps, which I would hope wouldn't have height variations anyways.

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

Frogmarched posted:

Is it me or is the new terrain generator absolute poo poo? its like:

flatish forest
flatish pine forest
flatish grassland
flat desert
flat swamp
huge impossible mountain ranges.

everything is way to far apart, with the parameters so strict everything is boring apart from the mountain ranges. One seed I literally was slap band in-between the two forest biomes, it took ages to even glimpse a desert.

Try "Adventure Time", no quotes, as a seed. I ran across something I liken to a miniature Grand Canyon. Large mountain ranges, forests, and huge deserts. Also a few lava pit pockets on the surface every once in a while. I am pretty impressed with the world so far.

Nita
Apr 27, 2008

ItalicSquirrels posted:

I'm posting this as a farewell to my old creation. Starting in 1.3, I resolved to make a city that was impregnable to hostile mobs. Not just "they can't spawn here", I wanted it to be "They can't get here." And thus was born:

**photodump**

big. Did I mention that it's solid? According to my calculations, there are approximately 61,000 blocks just in the cone of the island, nevermind including the buildings. The exterior alone is roughly 7,125 blocks. And the only way up is on these docks:

**photodump**

Before I post the pictures of the random buildings I populated this island with, I want to show one thing. A friend asked, "Where the gently caress did you get all that stone?" Well, if you go to the second picture, you'll see what looks like a dirt house with trees on it. That was essentially where I spawned and it was my first house on this map. So many mobs ambushed me from above this door:

**photodump**

It's roughly 115 blocks by 70 blocks and 7 blocks high. There are 228 columns and 912 torches, thus ensuring mining safety. It's not big enough to give me all the stoneI needed, but I got enough by getting bored occasionally and heading out to adventure.

Screenshot for depth:

Which is necessary, because a lot of people were asking how to get slimes. This thing is almost a slime generator. Every second time I came down here, there was at least one slime and once I almost got killed by a loving mob of them. Here are the pelts of a couple (easy) kills:

And that concludes the informative part of the tour. Those three of you who're still interested, here are (in order)the guard tower/anchor building, restaurant, incinerator, granery, construction supply storage, lighthouse, and inn.

**photodump**

Why not MCedit your island into a new world? It's what I did with my floating island when the Halloween update hit and broke the terrain. Whenever I get bored of a world I save my island as a schematic and put it in a new one. That way I have a nice base to start on with new world to explore.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Nita posted:

Why not MCedit your island into a new world? It's what I did with my floating island when the Halloween update hit and broke the terrain. Whenever I get bored of a world I save my island as a schematic and put it in a new one. That way I have a nice base to start on with new world to explore.

Ditto on this.

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008

ItalicSquirrels posted:

Good lord. :stare: How long did that take you? I'm always amazed by huge creations like this. I don't have the patience or creativity to make anything close to that.

I love the lighthouse! I've attempted to make several but they always ended up turning out kind of horrible (but good landmarks since they were so tall).

I'm having a problem with 1.8. I've been running a tiny server on the same computer I use to play - just a friend of mine and me having fun and messing around. He didn't have much trouble with 1.8 prerelease or versions before 1.8 that I can remember, definitely not this much. He keeps disconnecting and experiencing heavy lag, no matter how many times I restart the server - it wasn't a problem at first but got progressively worse to the point where it was unplayable, disconnecting every 15-20 seconds after logging on or so.

The errors I get in the server window when he disconnects are a little different each time, but always very similar to this:

java.net.SocketException: Software caused connection abort: socket write error
at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite0(Native Method)
at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(Unknown Source)
at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flushBuffer(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.write(Unknown Source)
at java.io.DataOutputStream.write(Unknown Source)
at do.a(SourceFile:77)
at in.a(SourceFile:174)
at ma.g(SourceFile:170)
at ma.d(SourceFile:10)
at tb.run(SourceFile:100)

I'm running Windows 7 and he's on Vista, if it matters. We're both fully updated to 1.8 and I'm using the newest minecraft_server.jar. Has anyone else had similar trouble?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
More flat terrain is awesome, finding (or terraforming) good places to build megastructures under the old biome code was a pain in the rear end.

Garbow
Sep 1, 2011

by angerbeet
I am in Hog Heaven.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Garbow posted:

I am in Hog Heaven.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

I'm not sure if it's bugged or what, but pigs (and sheep/cows/chickens) don't seem to be respawning at all on the SMP server I play on.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

ItalicSquirrels posted:

My floating island. From the other side:

Did I mention that it's solid? According to my calculations, there are approximately 61,000 blocks just in the cone of the island, nevermind including the buildings. The exterior alone is roughly 7,125 blocks. And the only way up is on these docks:

This is absolutely incredible, how long did it take you to make all of this?

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010
Has anyone been able to find any red flowers? All I run into are yellow flowers; and the only way I get red ones is if I use bonemeal on grass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

That floating island is amazing, I once dug out an area just the size of your vault, that took hours upon hours in and of itself. In my experience TNT was too expensive to really make sense, I could dig a lot more blocks up with a diamond pick in the time it took to harvest sand and gunpowder, craft it, place it, and detonate it.