Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

burntpork posted:

Has anyone been able to find any red flowers? All I run into are yellow flowers; and the only way I get red ones is if I use bonemeal on grass.

I've been running Catograph_G to see if I can find strongholds. (Fun Fact: I can't.) Whenever you render a world it also gives a text file listing of how many of each object are in the entire rendering. Before 1.8, thousands of roses; after 1.8, 0 roses.

Maybe they are going to be biome specific to a biome that isn't in 1.8?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
1.9 New Features:
-Snow! Falls in tundra and arctic biomes!
-Roses! Grow randomly on grass.

Notch! :argh:

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
Why does it keep saying login failed? I've been trying all night and the game refuses to update cause I can't login. Judging by the last couple pages, it seems like it's just me?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Lord of Laughton posted:

Why does it keep saying login failed? I've been trying all night and the game refuses to update cause I can't login. Judging by the last couple pages, it seems like it's just me?
No, it's not working for me either.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Lord of Laughton posted:

I had the same issue until I re-downloaded the launcher from minecraft.net.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Anyone else find bigass rocks?

No excavation just this big rock game north of my spawn

Seed is: "Where Am I" no quotes if ya wanna check it out.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 15, 2011

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.

Thufir posted:

I had the same issue until I re-downloaded the launcher from minecraft.net.

:psyduck: that did it. Thanks! I was still using the launcher from like.. 1.3 or something.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

burntpork posted:

Has anyone been able to find any red flowers? All I run into are yellow flowers; and the only way I get red ones is if I use bonemeal on grass.

Same here! (and not a single wolf seen since 1.8...)

Notch apperantly took the roses out:

PalmTreeFun posted:

1.9 New Features:
-Snow! Falls in tundra and arctic biomes!
-Roses! Grow randomly on grass.

Notch! :argh:

The patch notes say that it's easier to mod the skybox height limit now... has no one been bothering with that? This is one of the major highlights of this update for me...

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

arhra posted:

Enjoy it while it lasts.

I'm not sure if it's bugged or what, but pigs (and sheep/cows/chickens) don't seem to be respawning at all on the SMP server I play on.

Animals are persistent now I think. IE, they're dead, they're dead.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Good news nobody! You can now "map" the Nether!

Your cursor on the map spazzes out similar to the compass.

Also anyone else having random lighting issues?

I'm an Enderman! :downs:

But seriously, paintings, signs, and chests along with my character's arms are at times randomly black, or improperly lit.

wyoming fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 15, 2011

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Is there any way to light up the lowest bed rock level, even with torches everywhere can only see a small circle around me. Have a massive room there, cant see poo poo now.

Garbow
Sep 1, 2011

by angerbeet

Garbow posted:

Okay, so I just built a nice house, and I'm constantly hearing zombie groans inside it. Although there is nothing in sight except a cave thats a bit aways from my house.

Now everytime I try to sleep in the bed at night, it sims a bit of time, then I get attacked by a zombie. Inside my house. Then it won't respawn me in my bed, because it keeps saying something is near it. So it puts me way out in the woods (my original spawn)

Is my house loving haunted?

Okay, so, I moved to a new location (found an abandoned village) and this is STILL happening, even in the new location (with no idle zombie groans). WTF? I can't seem to sleep anywhere without getting loving attacked by zombies in my bed in the middle of the night. And it gives me the "bed obstructed" bullshit and puts me back in new game spawn.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

happyhippy posted:

Is there any way to light up the lowest bed rock level, even with torches everywhere can only see a small circle around me. Have a massive room there, cant see poo poo now.

Nope, notch added a dark black fog there that can't be lit up. I didn't even consider someone would make a room down there. I think you're hosed.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So two observations:

Exploring by boat: infinite ocean

Tunneling 125 blocks through the nether and building a portal: you always end up on land, or within 100 blocks of a medium-large island

So far only tried this on one seed, but 9/9 times that was the result. Including the first time, which was 1000 blocks nether/8000 blocks overworld from "spawn". The other guy who was exploring went by boat and found almost no land masses larger than 20x20

Also: no red flowers either
Also: had about 10 natural, giant brown mushrooms in a single biome!
Also: NPC villages seem very rare now compared to the first "leak" where finding 2-3 in a day's walk was possible

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Anybody else run into "edges" on the water? I mean where there's a sudden one-block waterfall stretching across the entire ocean, accompanied by the land ending in a solid edge, like someone cut it with a knife?

There's occasionally islands and stuff on the wrong side of the "edge" but beyond them it seems to be just solid ocean stretching off forever.

This is on an old save I just updated to 1.8. Not far from my spawn point.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I think the reasons the villages are so rare now is that they'll only spawn on flat even land, so you wont have like villages submerged in water or haphazardly growing out of a hill or split half way by a ravine anymore

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The common villages are still there, I used my real name as a seed, appeared on a desert biome and there were three villages within sight.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Sucrose posted:

Anybody else run into "edges" on the water? I mean where there's a sudden one-block waterfall stretching across the entire ocean, accompanied by the land ending in a solid edge, like someone cut it with a knife?

There's occasionally islands and stuff on the wrong side of the "edge" but beyond them it seems to be just solid ocean stretching off forever.

Pretty sure one of the parts of 1.8's new terrain generation was a 1-block change in the general water level. You've probably just hit the point where you're generating new chunks.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I'm just getting back into the game and I'm still new to this seed business, so bear with me.

I updated a little while ago and randomly generated a world, and I think it worked out pretty well.

This about where you spawn, in a pretty large swamp. Southeast is a forest, south is obviously a desert.

However, to the northeast is the most loving amazing mountain range I've ever generated.

It's huge. There's a bunch of overhangs, deep holes, waterfalls, and whatnot.

But I think the best place to set up a base would be a bit to the south (just east of that little peninsula on the map)

The seed is -3101988753958228836 if I'm understanding it correctly.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

What are these "strongholds" people speak of?

I just spent the last day or so exploring this massive abandoned mine/tunnel system in the Something Awful seed. I couldn't find my way out so I dug up and ended up in the ocean. :(

I shall find this abandoned mine again and harvest all the materials! To build a super city! Or something.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Odette posted:

What are these "strongholds" people speak of?

Enormous caverns of various shapes and heights inside mountains.

The easiest way to find one just to see what it's all about is to make a new world in creative and just fly around until you find an enormous mountain and find an entrance or make one.

They're not usually too hard to find.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
All I mostly keep getting from random seeds that aren't copies from here are major pine forests and spawning next to big wolf packs!!!

I'm also suffering from lagginess too.

When I got in to Minecraft in 1.7.3 the game ran just fine.

I eventually got Yogbox mods into it, and it still worked fairly smoothly until winter season hit. Ever since then it would hit a big lag spike every 10 seconds. Even after reinstalling without Millenare and Seasons it was still lagging, even a vanilla 1.7.3 was doing it.

Even after removing everything from the minecraft directory with a fresh 1.8 I still get a small lag spike every few seconds.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

No, the strongholds are giant dungeons made of stone brick and its cracked/mossy variants. Good luck finding them, there's only 3 in the world and they can be anywhere.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

FirePhoenix posted:

No, the strongholds are giant dungeons made of stone brick and its cracked/mossy variants. Good luck finding them, there's only 3 in the world and they can be anywhere.

Oh. poo poo, I'm totally wrong

e: What have I found that's a sort of enormous underground ravine connected to dungeons? It's got broken minecart track and wooden arches and things inside. It's also really really enormous.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 15, 2011

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Can anyone confirm this? if you right-click a cow with a bucket are you getting milk? My brother tried and was unsuccessful even after about 50 clicks. I haven't seen a cow yet in my world so I can't check, all I get are sheep.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

FirePhoenix posted:

Can anyone confirm this? if you right-click a cow with a bucket are you getting milk? My brother tried and was unsuccessful even after about 50 clicks. I haven't seen a cow yet in my world so I can't check, all I get are sheep.

Click it's udder.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Hypnolobster posted:

Oh. poo poo, I'm totally wrong

e: What have I found that's a sort of enormous underground ravine connected to dungeons? It's got broken minecart track and wooden arches and things inside. It's also really really enormous.

Abandoned mine.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'll tell him to try that, thanks.

I like the new biome code but at the same time I feel like the uniqueness of seeds has sort of vanished. It seems like anywhere you go, if you travel long and far enough you'll find exactly what you need. Like, all the biomes are mostly the same from seed to seed. The unique part comes from what's around your immediate spawn area I suppose, and it's certainly cool to find those island seeds, but I feel like in the creation of new biome code we lost some of the individuality seeds brought.

I don't know, I just see a lot of pictures from a lot of different seeds here and most look similar. Someone was just remarking that all the seeds have crazy mountain ranges now, instead of us having to search seeds for them.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Hypnolobster posted:

Enormous caverns of various shapes and heights inside mountains.

The easiest way to find one just to see what it's all about is to make a new world in creative and just fly around until you find an enormous mountain and find an entrance or make one.

They're not usually too hard to find.

No, strongholds are basically underground abandoned fortresses. Currently, you get three per world. They look like this.

edit: drat I'm slow. At least I brought a video along.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

FirePhoenix posted:

I don't know, I just see a lot of pictures from a lot of different seeds here and most look similar. Someone was just remarking that all the seeds have crazy mountain ranges now, instead of us having to search seeds for them.

I know what you mean. I foolishly ventured into MinecraftForums.net to search for posts about seeds. There's a lot of them, but they all show normal 1.8 features that people are mistaking for unique.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
quote is not edit, goddamn it

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I like the new world generator. Anything I put in as a seed is interesting.

Struggling to use modloader though. I put the files in the .jar, then made a mod folder in .minecraft, and put the zips in that. Blackscreens for me, might have to play this vanilla :<

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
I think I can see where you guys are coming from, but I can't fathom how you could think it was better to limit the best gameplay experience to those who were lucky enough to be a member of a community that has our understanding of the mechanics of things.

My girlfriend doesn't know Gargamel from a wheat seed, she still should be able to load up minecraft and get some kickin' rad mountains, shouldn't she?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I noticed my sand quarry ended up fortuitously shaped and neatened it up a bit:

But now I have no idea what to actually do with that or turn it into. Any suggestions?

ItalicSquirrels posted:

I'm posting this as a farewell to my old creation. Starting in 1.3, I resolved to make a city that was impregnable to hostile mobs. Not just "they can't spawn here", I wanted it to be "They can't get here." And thus was born:

My floating island. From the other side:

Wow. You kicked my floating island's butt.

I spent ages building it (gently caress that vortex) and then the time came to call it done and I realised I could only fit a tiny cabin on top (and I didn't have the stomach to expand the vortex size again). All the important stuff is in the basement with the portal. I'm going to have to aim bigger and do a whole town in 1.8.

Although I might just wait for the yogbox 1.8 and then hijack a floating dungeon.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 15, 2011

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

FirePhoenix posted:

I like the new biome code but at the same time I feel like the uniqueness of seeds has sort of vanished. It seems like anywhere you go, if you travel long and far enough you'll find exactly what you need. Like, all the biomes are mostly the same from seed to seed. The unique part comes from what's around your immediate spawn area I suppose, and it's certainly cool to find those island seeds, but I feel like in the creation of new biome code we lost some of the individuality seeds brought.

I'm thinking that before the terrain rules were universal and the random volatility was high to make things seem different. So, biomes didn't really affect much other than tree density (except in the desert of course). Now the terrain rules are biome specific and the volatility is much lower.

In other words, now there's a "crazy mountains" biome rather than crazy mountains just happening randomly in the middle of a forest or desert. This is offset (somewhat) with the new randomness of ravines and rivers.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

With regards to the new biome code, I kinda wish there was a 'dense' biome that had smaller but more varied features similar to the stuff you'd get from the old generator. Or the fractal generator could be tweaked so there were areas where there were tight small knots of the newer biomes as well as the vast areas.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

MikeJF posted:

With regards to the new biome code, I kinda wish there was a 'dense' biome that had smaller but more varied features similar to the stuff you'd get from the old generator. Or the fractal generator could be tweaked so there were areas where there were tight small knots of the newer biomes as well as the vast areas.
The old biome code was terrible. Every biome was retarded mountains everywhere and I hated it. Good riddance.

What Minecraft REALLY needs is a random map generator a la the Civilization series, where you can specify the amounts of different types of terrain. Or it needs a fan to step up and make a kick-rear end map generator, like we got with Civilization II. Six of one or a half dozen of the other.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Where is the abandoned mine under the SA seed village? I've found the second ravine and the massive cave, but no mine

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007
I can't even play this game online now. Really strange, the pre-1.8 patch worked fine but whenever I join my friend's server my game practically hardlocks. Every 10-15 seconds it lets me move a bit but it never loads more than 10-20 blocks around me and never gets playable.

e: testing on other servers it seems fine. Must be related to his awful Internet. Wonder why it's a problem now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

Sucrose posted:

That's the new terrain generator taking over.

poo poo that'll teach me not to get distracted before hitting post

Shuffle fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 15, 2011