Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I made a post in the Halloween thread about putting a Gaahl costume together. Anyone have any advice? Maybe on some of the core metal gear like corpse paint?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3435011&userid=89358

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

KingKapalone posted:

I made a post in the Halloween thread about putting a Gaahl costume together. Anyone have any advice? Maybe on some of the core metal gear like corpse paint?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3435011&userid=89358

Just be sure to listen to Helloween when you take costume advice of some 16-18 year old South American metalheads that have posted pictures on Last.fm of theirselves through a mirror with powder and water drops on it while they show off their favorite style of horrible "corpse paint" makeup found from their (or their sister's) makeup out of their (or their sister's) dressing table.

Edit: Honestly I doubt anyone, especially trick-or-treaters, would know who Ghaal is, but they'd be afraid nontheless. The shirt would be easy. At least in Scandinavia, most metalheads wear sleeveless black shirts, especially when your arms won't turn red or blue (i.e. winter). The trousers you might need help with. Maybe go to a leather store or maybe a sex/adult shop and see what kind of pants they have...laced leather/jeans isn't as easy to find.

Boots and belt you'd probably find at hot topic or something, I don't really know what they sell there but for some reason that store comes to mind.

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 14, 2011

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Dead Man Posting posted:

Boots and belt you'd probably find at hot topic or something, I don't really know what they sell there but for some reason that store comes to mind.

If you're going to spend money on hot topic combat boots or something, check out the army/navy stores or drop a little more on some good boots. Hot Topic boots are usually expensive and not comfy for the price and for just a *bit* more you can get some nice boots that'll hold up for a while.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah get some Altamas or something if you're dumping a bunch of money anyway. At least you can double them as great poo poo weather boots or regular footwear if you can get away with or want to use combat boots for that. They will last forever.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Roasted Donut posted:

Oh poo poo yeah, totally going to this.

The UK is getting Kvelertak and Toxic Holocaust in November, which is almost as good a line-up :)

I'm still annoyed that I missed Skeletonwitch at Bloodstock due to being an hour into the shower queue. Grr.

Also, if anyone's seen The Troll Hunter, the end credits have a Kvelertak song ("Mjød") playing over them, which I thought was quite cool. The film itself was also very enjoyable.

Edit:
The Mayhems - Surfin' Moon
The Emperors - I Am The Surf Wizards
Who knew surf rock covers of black metal was a thing?

EvilMoJoJoJo fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Sep 14, 2011

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Anyone get the Arch/Matheos album yet? What is it like? Mine won't arrive for another week or so. :(

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

QPZIL posted:

poo poo man stop that, I don't have spare pants at work.

Any tour dates announced?

edit-- October 20th, Tremont Music Hall, Charlotte, NC... Tremont? Really? Fuuuuck I hate that place.

10/19 Atlanta, GA - The Earl
10/20 Charlotte, NC - Tremont Music Hall
10/21 Brooklyn, NY - Europa / CMJ
10/22 New York, NY - Rocks Off Concert Cruise Aboard The Jewel / CMJ
10/23 Philadelphia, PA - Johnny Brendas
10/24 Columbus, OH - The Summit
10/25 Cleveland, OH - Peabody’s
10/27 Grand Rapids, MI - The Pyramid Scheme

I think Skeletonwitch is curently fiishing up a tour with Arch Enemy, Devildriver and Chthonic. Yeah, it's not my favorite NC venue either but drat, if Skeletonwitch isn't worth it. For $13 bones too?!?! They're also the most approachable and down to earth guys in metal. Me and my buddy tried to buy them a round of brews in Raleigh last time and they we like, "Hell no brother, save your money and come drink OUR beer!" Talked to them for a good bit before their set. Real friendly cats.

I also had to have this...

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 22, 2016

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Are we still posting hot babes singing awesome metal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCafVpxbFgo

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

CornHolio posted:

Are we still posting hot babes singing awesome metal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCafVpxbFgo

If you compose a list ill put it in the OP, otherwise no.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

We only talk about Norwegians in clown makeup and fat bald guys in camo shorts.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Didn't see this posted, but there's a new ABsu song from the new album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZDowNse1Fk

Enjoy.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

aliencowboy posted:

We only talk about Norwegians in clown makeup and fat bald guys in camo shorts.

It's not our fault they tend to make the best music... :v:

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 15, 2011

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Gaggins posted:

e: Why do metal music videos always suck? I admittedly don't watch many of them because unnecessary shaky-cam drives me nuts. Can you guys recommend any cool videos? Some cheesiness is okay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hsse_4UBS4

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Sylvain Houde-era Kataklysm is the only Kataklysm in my eyes.

For content, I thought Vomitory's video for "Regorge In The Morgue" was pretty campy, but awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXa5gzUiNUU

I also just noticed that four years ago today Wayne Knupp (ex-Devourment, Relentless Beatings) died from multiple organ failure and he was only 31. Here's a lovely-sounding and the last recorded video of Wayne performing with Devourment at CIMF '07.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWv5O_sn4Q0

It is pretty hard to deny that when "1.3.8." was released everybody knew that Wayne was a nasty vocalist, and that album has inspired tons of bands. His presence alone makes the album worthwhile. He was also one of the nicest dudes you could ever meet, and was stoked every time some guy said he liked the poo poo he has been involved with. R.I.P. buddy.

vvvvvvvv gently caress me, you're right. That's what I get for posting when I've been up for over 24 hours at that point.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 15, 2011

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I always thought Ruban Rosas did the vocals on Molesting the Decapitated, and that Wayne was only featured on the 1.3.8. compilation... Either way, Wayne was one of the sickest sounding death metal vocalists ever.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Another female fronted band. This one's thrashy/old school-y.

Mortillery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZBx5BlxP54

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

There's been a lot of Arkona love in this thread lately and wouldn't ya know it they're going on tour with Korpiklaani in the states!

KORPIKLANNI, ARKONA, POLKADOT CADAVER, FORGED IN FLAMES

Nov 23 Montreal @ Club Soda (no ARKONA)
Nov 24 Toronto @ Mod Club (no ARKONA)
Nov-25 New York, NY @ Gramercy Theater
Nov-26 Cleveland, OH @ Peabody's
Nov-27 Joliet, IL @ Mojoe's
Nov-29 Winnipeg, MB @ Park Theater
Nov-30 Regina, SK @ The Exchange
Dec-01 Edmonton, AB @ Pawn Shop
Dec-02 Calgary, AB – The Distillery
Dec-03 Vancouver, BC - TBA
Dec-04 Seattle, WA @ Studio Seven
Dec-05 Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theater
Dec-06 Oakland, CA @ The Pound
Dec-07 Hollywood, CA @ Key Club
Dec 08 Tempe, AZ @ Clubhouse
Dec 10 Austin, TX - Emo's
Dec 11 New Orleans, LA @ Hangar
Dec 12 Orlando, FL @ Firestone Live
Dec 13 Atlanta, GA @ Masquerade
Dec 14 Columbus, OH @ Alrosa Villa
Dec 15 Springfield, VA @ Jaxx
Dec 16 Reading, PA @ The Reverb
Dec 17 Worcester, MA @ The Palladium
DEC 18 Quebec City, QC @ Imperial Theater (no ARKONA)

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

I feel so bad for the tours that play Firestone in Orlando. It's a HUGE venue, it holds like 1300 people, it's almost nearly empty, or half empty and sometimes they have to curtain off half the venue. It almost always sounds like poo poo, unless the engineer has played there before.

I wish they'd play a smaller venue, we have a few here, although no good venues for between 1300 and 300 people.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
gently caress. I'm going to find a date just for Polkadot Cadaver alone. The dudes in that band have been some of my favorite live performances I've seen for multiple years now, going back to Dog Fashion Disco.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
WitTR Celestial Lineage and YOB Atma vinyls are out, oh no my wallettttttttttttt

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

QPZIL posted:

WitTR Celestial Lineage and YOB Atma vinyls are out, oh no my wallettttttttttttt

Shiiiiittttt! Oh well, I can eat noodles for the rest of the month.

Ninja edit: Where would you go if you wanted to order them both from the same place?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

HMorg posted:

Shiiiiittttt! Oh well, I can eat noodles for the rest of the month.

Ninja edit: Where would you go if you wanted to order them both from the same place?

I don't know if that's possible right now. Southern Lord is usually pretty stingy with their vinyls when they're first released.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

QPZIL posted:

I don't know if that's possible right now. Southern Lord is usually pretty stingy with their vinyls when they're first released.

Yeah, went to have a look around Southern Lord's site and decided that YOB can wait since the WitTR 2LP+shirt package needs to come to me and it was rather expensive.
Where would you get the YOB LP, though? Straight from Profound Lore?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

HMorg posted:

Yeah, went to have a look around Southern Lord's site and decided that YOB can wait since the WitTR 2LP+shirt package needs to come to me and it was rather expensive.
Where would you get the YOB LP, though? Straight from Profound Lore?

http://www.midheaven.com/item/atma-by-yob-2xlp

http://www.20buckspin.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=971

I don't know if either ship to Europe or not, though I'd assume.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
I encourage everyone to check out Orchid, if they haven't done so already. Spot-on Sabbath worship, done well.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I've been listening to Dr Living Dead a lot lately. They're a newer crossover thrash and their singer sounds way too much like Mike Muir from Suicidal Tendencies, which just so happens to be exactly what I love.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

OH gently caress! Korpiklaani and Arkona coming here? INSTANT BUY!!! :D

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Where is "here"?

Sir Xiphos
Dec 11, 2008
Shameless band promotion ahead. Not my band but really, really good nonetheless:

Bay Area progressive black/folk/whathaveyou band Cormorant are releasing the follow up to 2009's Metazoa, titled Dwellings (Big-rear end cover art up above). If you've never heard of them before go have a listen to this little number from the debut (Or this, your choice). Their sound is similar to that of fellow SF band Giant Squid but with far more black/death/folk influences.

NPR are streaming one of the songs, Junta from the new album over here - http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2011/09/15/140504746/cormorant-follow-the-blackened-thread.. It's really quite different to the sound of the debut but goddamn it sounds great so far. If you like that and have some cash to spare you can preorder the limited edition release which comes in all sorts of packages right here - http://cormorantmusic.blogspot.com/. The band is completely independent so all procedes from this will go directly into recording new material. So please, have a listen and if you really like it go ahead and preorder that bastard.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic

lordblytzkrieg posted:

KORPIKLANNI, ARKONA, POLKADOT CADAVER, FORGED IN FLAMES

Nov 24 Toronto @ Mod Club (no ARKONA)

Weak. Still gonna go though because a Korpiklaani gig is a great time.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Sir Xiphos posted:

Shameless band promotion ahead. Not my band but really, really good nonetheless:

Bay Area progressive black/folk/whathaveyou band Cormorant are releasing the follow up to 2009's Metazoa, titled Dwellings (Big-rear end cover art up above). If you've never heard of them before go have a listen to this little number from the debut (Or this, your choice). Their sound is similar to that of fellow SF band Giant Squid but with far more black/death/folk influences.

NPR are streaming one of the songs, Junta from the new album over here - http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2011/09/15/140504746/cormorant-follow-the-blackened-thread.. It's really quite different to the sound of the debut but goddamn it sounds great so far. If you like that and have some cash to spare you can preorder the limited edition release which comes in all sorts of packages right here - http://cormorantmusic.blogspot.com/. The band is completely independent so all procedes from this will go directly into recording new material. So please, have a listen and if you really like it go ahead and preorder that bastard.

You know, I've never understood the hype about Cormorant (and it's not due to my band being in a UG competition against them a while back). The "progressive" aspects really boil down to disjointed and the vocalist sounds like he's hurting himself. The few tracks of theirs I heard off their previous album had pretty mediocre production too.

I think lately "progressive" is a word being thrown around to compensate for poor songwriting. A lot of "progressive" bands seem to just jump all over the place and there's no room made for actual songwriting. Or maybe I just don't get it.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009
Technical and Progressive. Maybe event Avant-Garde. Words mostly used to make poor music sound not so poor.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cold Day posted:

Technical and Progressive. Maybe event Avant-Garde. Words mostly used to make poor music sound not so poor.

Those words used to mean more than they do now, to be fair. Especially prog. Now all you need is a few time signature changes, no matter how sloppy or pointless, and some wankery and people will call you prog.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009

IRQ posted:

Those words used to mean more than they do now, to be fair. Especially prog. Now all you need is a few time signature changes, no matter how sloppy or pointless, and some wankery and people will call you prog.

Oh yes the way I worded it sounded odd. There is the fair share of authentic types of this music but indeed it is now apparently a term used to excuse lack of song-writing.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
What bands should I look into if my favorite band is Sigh and lately I've been listening to Summoning, Aes Dana, Kataxu, Morker and Agalloch.

Because conventional wisdom says these are all black metal bands, but I tend to not like 99% of black metal people recommend me.

Not Very Metal posted:

I encourage everyone to check out Orchid, if they haven't done so already. Spot-on Sabbath worship, done well.

Orchid are top notch. If you like them you should get the demo that Age of Taurus put out last year, its in the same vein if not a little more doom.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

El Estrago Bonito posted:

What bands should I look into if my favorite band is Sigh and lately I've been listening to Summoning, Aes Dana, Kataxu, Morker and Agalloch.

Because conventional wisdom says these are all black metal bands, but I tend to not like 99% of black metal people recommend me.

Orchid are top notch. If you like them you should get the demo that Age of Taurus put out last year, its in the same vein if not a little more doom.

This really should have been posted in the black metal thread if you want some good people giving you ideas, but if you want bands that kinda fall in the same area I would check out these bands

Petrychor - The first Petrychor EP is absolutely amazing, but his second release he kinda went a astray from I was hoping it was going to be. You might like them though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUZtULEa8Ps

Wolves in the Throne Room- You can really start with any album of theirs, they're all great...but the one that seemed to get their career really started was Two Hunters. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8VTvrZAX4s

Caina - The production values are a bit iffy sometimes, but I really really love his 2009 EP. "You Worship the Wrong Carpenter" has regular rotation in my playlist.

Drudkh - They kinda fall under what you're looking for...I would start with Autumn Aurora and branch out from there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eozo68PTHg

Ulver - The album Bergtatt is, I believe, is credited with creating the whole folk/black/acoustic sound and it's an amazing album even after all these years. Definitely DEFINITELY check this out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlJ_YmJb5KE

edit: There was a band that's been posted in these threads before that is basically a straight rip off of Agalloch so maybe if someone can remember who they were that'd be a good recommendation too.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 18, 2011

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
From last thread.

quote:

If you like Agalloch, try The Morningside. They have two albums, The Wind, The Trees, and the Shadows of the Past, and Moving Crosscurrents of Time. There is another completely different band called Morningside, and since The Morningside is Russian, there being a The there is inconsistent. Just warning you so you don't end up with some pop CD instead. Their first album was pretty much straight Agalloch worship, with some more Katatonia in there than Agalloch has.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009
Is anyone else psyched for the new Cynic EP, Carbon Based Anatomy? I was let-down by Re-Traced, but Traced in Air is one of my favorite albums, and Focus is awesome, too.

BSchlang fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Listened to Amon Amarth today and it finally clicked.

Goddrat this poo poo is epic. I've only got Surtur Rising, what else should I look at?