Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Eiba posted:

Is anyone else not able to change their skin? I try to upload a new one to the site, but it just gives an error that says, "The file public/profile/skin does not exist."

Is there some trick to it or is it just broken after they updated their site, like the old launcher?

I'm having that same problem, and a friend suggested the update probably broke it. This would be my first skin, so I wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong. I guess not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I'm really enjoying 1.8, but I'm a little curious if anyone knows:

Now that shift+click on an item in a crafting window puts as many craftables in your inventory as possible (which is awesome), is there any new key combination for just quickly getting ONE/a couple of the set of the craftable items into your inv?

I've gotten lazy and used to just plopping a stack of coal and a stack of sticks to make torches and just clicking til I have what I want. I tried ctrl+shift+click, but it does the same as shift+click.

I'm sure I'll adapt, at some point, to just putting the right amount of materials in the window that I want to be used, but drat the old functionality was convenient for just guesstimating.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I haven't played Minecraft in a while however seeing all of the awesomeness surrounding the 1.8 prerelease drew me back in. So when when 1.8 dropped last night I dove back in and my first observation is: god drat the new cave systems are amazing! On my first journey into one I found, in order, Iron, Red Stone, Lapis Lazuli, Gold, Diamond and, finally, naturally occuring Obsidian!!! I quit at that point as it was late so now I just have to make my way out alive!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Obese FYAD Reject posted:

I'm really enjoying 1.8, but I'm a little curious if anyone knows:

Now that shift+click on an item in a crafting window puts as many craftables in your inventory as possible (which is awesome), is there any new key combination for just quickly getting ONE/a couple of the set of the craftable items into your inv?

I've gotten lazy and used to just plopping a stack of coal and a stack of sticks to make torches and just clicking til I have what I want. I tried ctrl+shift+click, but it does the same as shift+click.

I'm sure I'll adapt, at some point, to just putting the right amount of materials in the window that I want to be used, but drat the old functionality was convenient for just guesstimating.

Well, the quickest way for this is to dump whatever stacks of whatever in the crafting window, but on ONE square, only have a limited amount of blocks. Like, for stairs, do this...

CB 64| X | X
-----|-----|-----
CB 64|CB 64| x
-----|-----|-----
CB 64|CB 64| CB 10

Shift-crafting this would only make 10. Works great for me, because I had the same thoughts as you.

EDIT: I should clarify, this is different than taking the time to put a specific number in the crafting window because you're only really concerning yourself with limiting one square, rather than all of them. Handy when you're building something that fills the crafting window, like rail or TNT. All the sand and gunpowder in the world won't matter if you've got one square of, say, 3 items.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 15, 2011

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Fun new bug I found: place a torch underwater, and the torch pops out, but the light stays there!

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

Did the new patch change the way ore is distributed?

This page http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Ore hasn't been updated in a while and I'm curious if things have changed.

I'm having a hell of a time finding gold... :(

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I thought about posting a few seeds but I figured you can just ram any random phrase in and it'll generate something interesting. (Although if you want something specific that's another matter) Yeah, the new terrain generation system is tops.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

Jeb posted:

The two small changes I'm making to armor is 1) slightly better durability and 2) simpler armor value calculation (not based on durability)

Yes. This sounds good.

E: Also:

Notch posted:

Jens is working on some content for the Nether

Jervas Dudley fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 15, 2011

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!
Also, notch tweeted this beautiful scene

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

What in the hell? Now Minecraft's not recognizing the world I was playing on just a few hours ago. The files and everything are where they're meant to be, it's just not showing up in the list, even though another one I made under straight 1.8 is fine.

e: Oh wow skins work again!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Vinigre posted:

The amount of beauty that can be found in a bunch of randomly generated cubes never ceases to amaze me.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 15, 2011

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I just started playing, having skipped a few versions and...wtf? Did they actually add mouse acceleration with no option for turning it off? I can't play the game like this.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Jeb's twitter posted:

The two small changes I'm making to armor is 1) slightly better durability and 2) simpler armor value calculation (not based on durability)
Holy poo poo, armor that doesn't protect less as it wears out? Sounds like armor might actually be a worthwhile investment in the future.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

Vinigre posted:

I have a sudden urge to make a 'Christmas Time in Hell' scene in the Nether.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
So ravine next to a winding river next to huge gravity defying cliffs and drops of land suspended in midair, all next to a humid swamp? Yes please! But wait, it gets better: an enormous abandoned mineshaft underneath it, with at least two dungeon rooms so far.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Fren posted:

So ravine next to a winding river next to huge gravity defying cliffs and drops of land suspended in midair, all next to a humid swamp? Yes please! But wait, it gets better: an enormous abandoned mineshaft underneath it, with at least two dungeon rooms so far.

Abandoned mineshafts are awesome but you could dig down almost anywhere and find one.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

was there an update to the client or both the client and the server?

how do you start the server with more ram?
I tried making a batch file to run "java -Xmx1024.M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar" but it did not work and flashed up and away so quickly I don't know which half failed, I assume that java isn't in a listed folder. Am I going about this all wrong?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I REALLY hope they update the way portals connect when they work on the nether. I tried to connect two places ~1000 blocks apart on my server, built the first portal, went through, came back, walked to the other base, built the second portal, went through.... and it connected to the same loving portal in the nether. :negative:

I know you can sortof get around this by making the portals in the nether, but the exact placement is wonky, besides it being a huge pain in the rear end to deal with. They really just need to get that poo poo working properly.

All the mods I used on my server to add the nether before they added it officially worked significantly BETTER. That's just sad.

Krinkle posted:

I tried making a batch file to run "java -Xmx1024.M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar" but it did not work and flashed up and away so quickly I don't know which half failed, I assume that java isn't in a listed folder. Am I going about this all wrong?

Not sure if this would break it, but your startup line is slightly different than mine, try this:
code:
java -Xms512M -Xmx1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Mike the TV posted:

Abandoned mineshafts are awesome but you could dig down almost anywhere and find one.

Spoilsport <:mad:>

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well, the quickest way for this is to dump whatever stacks of whatever in the crafting window, but on ONE square, only have a limited amount of blocks. Like, for stairs, do this...

CB 64| X | X
-----|-----|-----
CB 64|CB 64| x
-----|-----|-----
CB 64|CB 64| CB 10

Shift-crafting this would only make 10. Works great for me, because I had the same thoughts as you.

EDIT: I should clarify, this is different than taking the time to put a specific number in the crafting window because you're only really concerning yourself with limiting one square, rather than all of them. Handy when you're building something that fills the crafting window, like rail or TNT. All the sand and gunpowder in the world won't matter if you've got one square of, say, 3 items.

Brilliant, thank you! I can never go back to just grabbing stuff with the mouse and moving it to my inventory. I die a little inside every time I see Simon or Lewis (Yogscast) do it to a chest with a bunch of stuff in it. Then again, maybe it's intentional? :)

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Krinkle posted:

Just using "java" in the batch has never worked for me, I have to use the full path. For example (keep the quotes):

"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar

e: You also appear to have an extra period in one of your memory args, that could be screwing the pooch.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Megadace posted:

This is absolutely incredible, how long did it take you to make all of this?

As best as I can figure, I spent about 100 hours on this seed. That includes mining, building, and exploring when I got bored. I've found that listening to books on tape/CD/mp3 helps a lot.

Nita posted:

Why not MCedit your island into a new world? It's what I did with my floating island when the Halloween update hit and broke the terrain. Whenever I get bored of a world I save my island as a schematic and put it in a new one. That way I have a nice base to start on with new world to explore.

I'd considered that, but I think I want to move on to a new slate. If I end up editing the island in, it'll be after the Beta's done and will probably be in whatever area I end up using as a showcase (and I definitely plan on finding a seed that'll give me a large plains biome that I can use just to show off creations).

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Taffer posted:

I REALLY hope they update the way portals connect when they work on the nether. I tried to connect two places ~1000 blocks apart on my server, built the first portal, went through, came back, walked to the other base, built the second portal, went through.... and it connected to the same loving portal in the nether. :negative:

I know you can sortof get around this by making the portals in the nether, but the exact placement is wonky, besides it being a huge pain in the rear end to deal with. They really just need to get that poo poo working properly.

All the mods I used on my server to add the nether before they added it officially worked significantly BETTER. That's just sad.

What's needed is a way to give portals an address.
code:
+~@##@~+
  #{}#
  #{}#
  #{}#
+~@##@~+

# = Obsidian block
{} = portal
@~+ = address block with redstone power.
Going clockwise from top right you have X,Y,Z and world in the top left. Supply an address block with power in order to activate travel in that axis. All four corner pieces as smoothstone would take you to the original spawn chunk while Obsidian would take you to bedrock in the nether at -1024,-1024. Glowstone can be the reverse by taking you to the height cap at +1024,+1024. Assign a value to some blocks in between and a way to add a multiplier for longer journeys.

You could then use pistons to swap out address blocks and interrupt redstone connections so you could dial a portal to several potential locations.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Ass_Burgerer posted:

So the patch notes say that the height limit is now easier to mod or whatnot, but i haven't heard much else about actually changing it. I just want my giant tower to more accurately represent my e-dick.

You'll have to wait for the 1.8 version or roll back to 1.7.3, I'd love if it was added to Yogbox.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/310298-173robintons-mods/page__st__1480

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

^^^^^^ Holy poo poo :aaaaa:

Verizian posted:

What's needed is a way to give portals an address.
code:
+~@##@~+
  #{}#
  #{}#
  #{}#
+~@##@~+

# = Obsidian block
{} = portal
@~+ = address block with redstone power.
Going clockwise from top right you have X,Y,Z and world in the top left. Supply an address block with power in order to activate travel in that axis. All four corner pieces as smoothstone would take you to the original spawn chunk while Obsidian would take you to bedrock in the nether at -1024,-1024. Glowstone can be the reverse by taking you to the height cap at +1024,+1024. Assign a value to some blocks in between and a way to add a multiplier for longer journeys.

You could then use pistons to swap out address blocks and interrupt redstone connections so you could dial a portal to several potential locations.

All I can think is Stargate. Not that that's a bad thing :v:

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I stopped playing Minecraft a few months ago when I ran out of wacky poo poo I wanted to build but I logged in to a friend's server and spent the entire night exploring an abandoned mineshaft. Like, 4 hours in ONE mineshaft.

Found every kind of mineral, a natural obsidian farm (an entire cavern with multiple Obsidian pools), got maybe 4 stacks of cart track and ran into a good half dozen dungeons. I don't think I've ever spent that much time exploring consecutively without building anything.

I also ran in to some weird areas where I couldn't destroy anything - just an entire corridor that refused to die.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Balon posted:

I also ran in to some weird areas where I couldn't destroy anything - just an entire corridor that refused to die.

Is it possible that this was in the same chunk or area as the spawn (only obviously much lower)? Usually, spawn areas are protected so that only the OP/Admins can make any changes such as destroying or setting blocks down.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Is it possible that this was in the same chunk or area as the spawn (only obviously much lower)? Usually, spawn areas are protected so that only the OP/Admins can make any changes such as destroying or setting blocks down.

Judging by the size of the shaft it's entirely possible it led me back underneath spawn. The entrance I found wasn't TOO far from spawn, but wasn't exactly close to it.

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
screwing around in creative; seems giant mushrooms are immune to fire and lava. Can't imagine that was on purpose. Maybe it's just creative mode.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Ak Gara posted:

:gonk:

I want to cover it in lava and re-create Mordor.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Taffer posted:

^^^^^^ Holy poo poo :aaaaa:

All I can think is Stargate. Not that that's a bad thing :v:

While they're nothing more than glorified portals, I'm still pretty proud of these:

And the other side:

I'm just waiting for someone to develop a craftbuckit plugin that let's you dial portal adresses.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Redstone question time! I'm pretty new to redstone, and was trying to do something fancy with pistons. I have two sets of pistons, where when one set is off, the other set should be on, and since they move blocks into the same space, the movement needs to be delayed. Simple enough, I thought, just put a repeater on delay. Which works fine - one way.

What I need to do is somehow set a toggle, so that when the switch is ON, the delay goes to one set of pistons, and when the switch is OFF, the delay goes to the other set. I've been trying out a lot of different setups but I'm pretty much stuck. Anyone know how to do this?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I had a dream last night that 1.9 was released and everyone was wondering how this game would add to everything it's already got. When asked about what's set for retail, Notch simply tweeted, "We're going to the moon."

:allears: That would be absolutely awesome.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
You need to make them move exactly at the same time both ways.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

I had a dream last night that 1.9 was released and everyone was wondering how this game would add to everything it's already got. When asked about what's set for retail, Notch simply tweeted, "We're going to the moon."

:allears: That would be absolutely awesome.

That would actually be a really cool endgame event: if you could craft a rocket using tons of gold, diamonds, iron... everything. Once you build and use the rocket, the credits roll (but you can still keep playing forever)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Of course, in Moon you would need a diver's helmet that let's you breathe in space or underwater for a bit longer than usual. But to survive in Moon for longer periods you'd have to build airtight buildings with airlocks.

Zero Trust
Dec 29, 2009

"the car's on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel..."

Nenonen posted:

Of course, in Moon you would need a diver's helmet that let's you breathe in space or underwater for a bit longer than usual. But to survive in Moon for longer periods you'd have to build airtight buildings with airlocks.

Living at the bottom of the new 1.8 oceans would be pretty decent practice, no?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Ak Gara posted:

You'll have to wait for the 1.8 version or roll back to 1.7.3, I'd love if it was added to Yogbox.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/310298-173robintons-mods/page__st__1480

This looked pretty cool, except:

:stare:

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Nenonen posted:

Wanna make an explosive decompression trap so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I just really like the gen from a map perspective in these new worlds:

Speaking of maps how do I clones maps in smp?