Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

Diplomaticus posted:

This job is loving boss. HNGGHHGGHGH.

Woke up this morning, took the bus in to work, sat at my desk, looked outside, realized I'm still in the Netherlands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Is that a bad thing? (It wouldn't be for me, but I'm trying to get a dutch or german speaking country for my second post).

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
You have a window?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Not only that I have a corner office (well, corner for my section. Not corner of the building) with my own printer. And the only city map in the whole section.

Like a boss.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Diplomaticus posted:

Not only that I have a corner office (well, corner for my section. Not corner of the building) with my own printer. And the only city map in the whole section.

Like a boss.

I think that was more aimed at Vilerat.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Diplomaticus posted:

Is there a drinking fountain in there, too?

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

AKA Pseudonym posted:

You have a window?

I have a window!

It opens!!!!!

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Vilerat posted:

I have a window!
It opens!!!!!

This man, he must be removed. Immediately. Or else everyone else will demand a window. That opens.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Vilerat posted:

I have a window!

It opens!!!!!

gently caress you

Ronald Spiers
Oct 25, 2003
Soldier
Welp, got a 5.1 OA score where 5.25 was the cutoff point. Good experience though, I might be able to take the OA again in a few months with a better grasp on how to approach the structured interview.

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

Ronald Spiers posted:

Welp, got a 5.1 OA score where 5.25 was the cutoff point. Good experience though, I might be able to take the OA again in a few months with a better grasp on how to approach the structured interview.

Most Generalists have to take the test several times. This is normal and you did good.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
5.1 is pretty good. It shows you just need to focus on your weak areas (whether its SI or matching the 13D's), but are doing very well. Don't give up.

If it's any consolidation, I saw some folks on the yahoo board were scoring similar (only 2 folks passed iirc, and both were <5.4 on the OA but ended up with higher scores due to language bonus)

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Can't believe I have less than a month before the FSOT. Haven't had much time to prep. Anyone have any good recommendation for biographies or documentaries on Netflix Instant Watch? Might be a good way to take study breaks, rather than watching crappy TV.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Tyro posted:

Can't believe I have less than a month before the FSOT. Haven't had much time to prep. Anyone have any good recommendation for biographies or documentaries on Netflix Instant Watch? Might be a good way to take study breaks, rather than watching crappy TV.

Try:

National Geographic: Ambassador: Inside the Embassy

and the fictional (and British) and entertaining, but not really accurate . . .

The State Within

If only Netflix Instant Watch had State Department File 649! Cover art is of the FSO brandishing a pistol and reading demands to a Chinese officer. Just like real life.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Business of Ferrets posted:

Try:

National Geographic: Ambassador: Inside the Embassy

and the fictional (and British) and entertaining, but not really accurate . . .

The State Within

If only Netflix Instant Watch had State Department File 649! Cover art is of the FSO brandishing a pistol and reading demands to a Chinese officer. Just like real life.
Solid, I'll have to change my FSOT studies to include these gems.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Would it be possible to get an internship through the State Department or another US agency abroad while I'm in China? I am studying intensive Mandarin in Beijing this Summer and plan on teaching English for the next year or two to keep improving my Mandarin. I also plan on pursuing a certificate or an MA at the Johns Hopkins SAIS-Nanjing campus after then.

If it's possible, I'd like to do an internship or other resume-building work while I am in China.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Advice?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

OrangeGuy posted:

Would it be possible to get an internship through the State Department or another US agency abroad while I'm in China? I am studying intensive Mandarin in Beijing this Summer and plan on teaching English for the next year or two to keep improving my Mandarin. I also plan on pursuing a certificate or an MA at the Johns Hopkins SAIS-Nanjing campus after then.

If it's possible, I'd like to do an internship or other resume-building work while I am in China.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Advice?

The year I ran my section's intern search (two years ago, I think) we definitely had a few folks applying from China. You'll need to check the actual minimum requirements for the program -- they probably change a bit yearly.

Do note that this year (last year? not sure which cycle it was) the East Asian and Pacific Affairs Bureau did not allow interns in its missions overseas, so aspiring interns had to work in Washington if they wanted to work on Asia issues.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Happy Ethiopian New Year everyone!

-e- there's something quite surreal about 9/11 coinciding with a festive holiday in this country.

Ronald Spiers
Oct 25, 2003
Soldier
Hmm, it is also the Moon Festival in some East Asian countries.

mute
Jul 17, 2004

Does anyone know how stringent the "you have 30 days from OA to getting all your medical clearance documentation in" is? I was a week late getting all my bloodwork/etc done and faxed everything in, but after three phone calls to two people, I'm still unsure whether I screwed myself (the delay was definitely my fault) or not.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
It's technically strict, but if you're within a week you will probably be OK. Maybe.

1of7
Jan 30, 2011
I was never told of a time limit for my medical clearance. Is that a generalist only thing?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
No idea. Was it in your post-OA conditional offer letter packet/instructions? (ours explicitly was.)

Also yay upcountry travel. Finally going to get to see something beyond the city!

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I had a time limit but I remember it something like 50 days. Either way I doubt that it's going to be a very big deal.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
FWIW, mine was also in the packet (can't check it at the moment but it was in there). I was also told it was 30 days, and that it was better to go through State's examiners...

Open to interpretation, I think it was 30 days to start the process - e.g. you had to have your initial paperwork & maybe a promise to send in lab work, in by then. It seemed to be "As long as they have a file with your name on it"

If you're in DC, you can always (call ahead for an appointment), visit the Columbia office and ask?

mute
Jul 17, 2004

Thanks for the info, all.

I'll just have to hope I submitted everything works out and that my delay didn't screw it up, especially now that the security clearance is done.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
How much does language proficiency benefit your application? I rated myself a 4/5 on the speaking and 2/5 writing on the mandarin and 3/5 both for german.

Ronald Spiers
Oct 25, 2003
Soldier

Peven Stan posted:

How much does language proficiency benefit your application? I rated myself a 4/5 on the speaking and 2/5 writing on the mandarin and 3/5 both for german.

Language skills are a plus but not a determinant. I have a 3/2 Mandarin, 2/2 German, and 1/1 Korean but that didn't help me pass the QEP. Of course you can apply for the Consular Adjudicator job, where foreign language knowledge is a prerequisite.

Personally my experience with applying to the FS, I think real life experiences that demonstrate the 13 dimensions are far more important than language skills. You can learn a language while working for State but the FS wants to see past experiences that demonstrate you can fit in with FS.

If you do pass the OA and pass the language test you do get a point boost to your overall OA score though (.4 for Mandarin) which in turn helps your ranking on the Register.

I do hear that if you know Arabic you almost automatically get to the OA, but that is hearsay for me.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
As I understand, language testing (and therefore points) no longer happen until after the OA now -- making language something that can boost you in if you have a low passing score but no longer can take you from a fail to a pass.

HOORAY
Jul 13, 2001

Just an update that I accepted the OMS position and will be in the September 26th FSS training. Flying to DC on the 20th and moving into Oakwood Falls Church on the 23rd. FREAKING OUT. But in a good way. Planning on taking the October FSOT again...somewhere in DC I guess?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

HOORAY posted:

Just an update that I accepted the OMS position and will be in the September 26th FSS training. Flying to DC on the 20th and moving into Oakwood Falls Church on the 23rd. FREAKING OUT. But in a good way. Planning on taking the October FSOT again...somewhere in DC I guess?

Excellent! Congrats!

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

HOORAY posted:

Hey, congrats! Good for you!

So I can't remember if I've posted before in this thread or not. Sup Goons, second tour FSO speaking. This job kind of kicks rear end. You got questions, I got answers, usually.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
Where are the QEP results from the June exam? I'm going crazy here.

Looks like they came out 9/8 last year and 9/14 the year before.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Kase Im Licht posted:

Where are the QEP results from the June exam? I'm going crazy here.

Looks like they came out 9/8 last year and 9/14 the year before.

Yeah, I'm still waiting for mine too, checking my spam folder every day.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Posting from near the Somaliland border. I should go on vacation here -- beautiful scenery, crashed at a UN guest house the other night for less than $10; flew to Dire Dawa and stayed in a nice hotel (in a suite, no less) for like $40. Getting a pretty good tan too.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Vilerat posted:

I have a window!

It opens!!!!!

gently caress you. I have a window, but it's sealed shut. Damned new facilities. (Though I do have a sweet-rear end cliff underneath my window.)

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Macunaima posted:

Yeah, I'm still waiting for mine too, checking my spam folder every day.

My boyfriend's waiting in your ship too. I'm so sorry. =( Apparently some people got to submit their QEP stuff late because ACT hosed something up?

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Diplomaticus posted:

Posting from near the Somaliland border. I should go on vacation here -- beautiful scenery, crashed at a UN guest house the other night for less than $10; flew to Dire Dawa and stayed in a nice hotel (in a suite, no less) for like $40. Getting a pretty good tan too.

told you! :) (well, I had somalia and somaliland confused, due to the northern border.. easy mistake for a westerner..) Really is something else, and not what you expected, huh!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Pretty close to what I expected, actually. Two pairs of pants and one pair of shoes ruined, and some awesome pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

the_chavi posted:

My boyfriend's waiting in your ship too. I'm so sorry. =( Apparently some people got to submit their QEP stuff late because ACT hosed something up?
That happened either last year or the year before too. No excuse!