Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

some texas redneck posted:

Did they leave it for a month or some poo poo?
Not 100% sure but yeah I think this motor has been sitting at a dealership for a while. It will eventually be rebuilt and put in a race car(probably).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

kastein posted:

I've driven my Comanche around with 2 quarts in it also... run it out of oil on the highway dozens of times, it leaked like a sieve and I didn't have the time to fix it. Oil pressure remained fine with no bad noises.
Yeah, re: the post kastein quoted, the Ford 302 acts more like a big six than a V8. A Ford 302 V8, Ford 4.9/300 I6, or, in kastein's case and anecdotes from my Jeep-owning friends, either Jeep I6 will keep running in any two of the following conditions: upside-down, underwater, no coolant, no oil. There were stories during cash for clunkers of Ford I6s running for an hour or more with liquid glass (i.e. aqueous solution of sand) in place of oil. I passed my I6 F150 down to my brother, who got in a fender-bender that tore a 2" gash in the radiator, and it was still purring like the proverbial kitten when he replaced it a year later -- he only drove short trips around town to school and such, and topped it up to the hole in the radiator before leaving every morning.

I've personally intentionally killed* one 302 with a lot of effort (similar symptoms to the one below, and once we got bored of it running fine with no oil or water we started pouring degreaser into the oil-fill hole).

*we gave up when it seized and the "check engine" light came on (protip: most CELs tell you there is a major problem but you can limp home, a CEL in a V8 Ford** means you should immediately hit the brakes and find a place to pull over, because you're about to lose your power assist); judging from the later experiences below, it would've been fine if we'd topped off the fluids but it was a beat-up company truck and a boss who wouldn't replace it unless it was hosed, and apparently we killed it hard enough for him.

I've driven another 302 ten minutes across town with a massive coolant leak (freeze plug or cracked block, it overheated to seizing a few times out in the boonies and I filled it up and drove home as soon as it cooled down enough to start), a blown head gasket, and the burnt-to-poo poo-oil/coolant emulsion barely showing on the dipstick (with two half-flat tires to boot) when I moved house, couldn't afford a tow, and had pretty much written off the engine already because of the milkshake coolant pouring out as fast as I could put it in. No problems in the last drive aside from a hellacious rod knock. Hell, it seemed to run better than the last time I'd driven it (and dumped a couple bottles of liquid glass in the radiator).

One of these days I'm either going to rebuild that fucker or take it apart for paperweights, and then I'll post pics.

**I've overheated a 4.6L, and the ECU drops every other cylinder's spark as an emergency cooling measure at the point normal cars would throw a CEL. The warning light comes on about half a minute later, 1.4 seconds before the radiator cap succumbs to the pressure and gives your engine a hot bath. Ironically, the best solution to rough running and/or high temp in a 4.6L is to floor the bitch, because 40mph is the speed at which the forced air from moving will keep the engine nice and cool with no fan. The radiator fan on my '03 Interceptor has been dead for over a year now, and I haven't had a problem after that first time, when I learned to park and go in for my "fast" food with a long line, and plan my commute to avoid traffic jams when it's over 100F outside.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

some texas redneck posted:

Did they leave it for a month or some poo poo?

It actually doesn't take all that long for engines to rust like that. When I took an engine rebuilding class, this point was stressed after a student didn't oil their block after putting in the washer. The next day every machined surface on the block had rusted over.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Had this little gem dropped off last week, the owner said he "just needs the rear lower shock mount re-welded".

Ummm...

:stare:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I looked at it and initially started going "well yeah, it needs to be re-welded," then mine eyes fell upon thee bolt, just hanging out welded to the rear shock mount.

'sup, bolt.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Root Bear posted:

Had this little gem dropped off last week, the owner said he "just needs the rear lower shock mount re-welded".

Ummm...

:stare:

Did... am I seeing... did they use the bolt to fill in the gap between welds?

E\/gently caress, I completely glazed over that somehow.\/ Tell me you didn't actually work on this chucklefuck's car without replacing literally everything, root bear.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 14, 2011

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Fucknag posted:

At least the bolt isn't a loving tie-down strap

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Millstone posted:

I've been in, and driven, cars that were temporarily held together with things like that. When you're poor, and in the land of rednecks, it happens quite frequently. As long as you do it right, I don't see a HUGE issue. (right = the least-un-safest way out of the collection of unsafe ways you're going to have to go about the problem).

Key word is temporarily, though.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Delivery McGee posted:

Words about Fords

I've posted about this before but It's worth noting again that the Ford 300 I6 was used in this loving thing.

I mean look at it. It has a god drat solid steel Jason mask for a grille. They used these at FedEx when I worked there to push, pull, tow, drag, and do violence upon anything that needed it. I saw them run into poo poo so hard they stalled the engine, and they started her back up and kept going. I saw another guy ram into a concrete pillar, and stand on the accelerator while the knobby tires dug a hole in the asphalt.

Tug = loving unbreakable. An excellent platform for building your Mad Max Murder Wagon upon.

http://www.omegaaviation.com/baggage_tractor_aviation_ground_support_equipment/2004_TUG_baggage_tow_tractors_5000_lbs_draw_pull_bar.html

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Vanagoon posted:

I've posted about this before but It's worth noting again that the Ford 300 I6 was used in this loving thing.

I mean look at it. It has a god drat solid steel Jason mask for a grille. They used these at FedEx when I worked there to push, pull, tow, drag, and do violence upon anything that needed it. I saw them run into poo poo so hard they stalled the engine, and they started her back up and kept going. I saw another guy ram into a concrete pillar, and stand on the accelerator while the knobby tires dug a hole in the asphalt.

Tug = loving unbreakable. An excellent platform for building your Mad Max Murder Wagon upon.

http://www.omegaaviation.com/baggage_tractor_aviation_ground_support_equipment/2004_TUG_baggage_tow_tractors_5000_lbs_draw_pull_bar.html

I'm sorry, this is the mechanical failure thread, not the mechanical awesome thread.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Vanagoon posted:

Those little bastards can do wheelies. Trust me, I've done more than a few (just don't do them when the station manager is looking).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Millstone posted:

To be fair, neither the bolt nor the tie-down strap were the point of failure.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Fucknag posted:

I've actually done this before.

I cut the ends off afterwards to make it pretty, though.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

peepsalot posted:

Hydrolocked VQ37VHR block from a Nissan 370Z

It was a lot more apparent in person than in the pics, but that left piston is a kinda crooked

Ok after some malleting, we got the piston out

Bonus rusty gross cylinder

How fast would this engine have been revving to have caused this? Also, you guys gonna sleeve that one cylinder?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

The Scientist posted:

How fast would this engine have been revving to have caused this? Also, you guys gonna sleeve that one cylinder?
I don't think it takes much rpm to cause damage when you are talking hydrolock, but I'm not really an expert on engine carnage. I'm just a software developer that works in a car shop, heh. We aren't doing the engine rebuild here either. The engine is being loaned to us so we can do a little research regarding valve clearances with the VVEL valvetrain. I would assume they would bore and sleeve it though as the cylinder walls are a bit nicked up.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

The Scientist posted:

Even at idle, there is an enormous amount of force being transferred through an engine. Doesn't take a lot for hydrolocking to wreck an engine.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Just found this gem on reddit:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That doesn't seem to be terribly rare, based on how many examples have shown up in this thread. That's insane.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

peepsalot posted:

but I'm not really an expert on engine carnage. I'm just a software developer that works in a car shop, heh.
What's the story here? Are you an embedded developer doing ecu stuff or something else?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Godholio posted:

That doesn't seem to be terribly rare, based on how many examples have shown up in this thread. That's insane.

Exactly.

And it scares me.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure what the problem in that pic is Gnarly.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What's the story here? Are you an embedded developer doing ecu stuff or something else?
Yeah I develop reflash software for factory ECUs. I'd consider it more reverse engineering than embedded development. I also develop the desktop applications that allow end users to tweak their tune.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

A student posted:

Yeah clearly it's no big deal until the brake shoe is worn through and it's the caliper piston getting up close and personal with rotor vanes :rolleyes:

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

peepsalot posted:

Yeah I develop reflash software for factory ECUs. I'd consider it more reverse engineering than embedded development. I also develop the desktop applications that allow end users to tweak their tune.

I always wondered how people got into this.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Godholio posted:

I'm still waiting to see one so bad that it shoots out the pad backing plates and grinds the calipers and rotors so much that the pistons fall out at a stop light and all braking is lost.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Just found this gem on reddit:

More leading edges means better initial bite on your pads! :buddy:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Z3n posted:

I still can't imagine what this car sounds like doing a "hard" stop.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Lowclock posted:

I'm still waiting to see one so bad that it shoots out the pad backing plates and grinds the calipers and rotors so much that the pistons fall out at a stop light and all braking is lost.

Once the pad shoe breaks apart and falls out the piston will hit the rotor and not come back, making the car immobile. Well, that's what happened to me at least :o:

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Z3n posted:

Extreme slotted rotors

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

heat posted:

Once the pad shoe breaks apart and falls out the piston will hit the rotor and not come back, making the car immobile. Well, that's what happened to me at least :o:
My backing plate wouldn't fit between the caliper and rotor so it got stuck halfway through and locked the wheel. :thumbsup:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

heat posted:

Yeah clearly it's no big deal until the brake shoe is worn through and it's the caliper piston getting up close and personal with rotor vanes :rolleyes:

I figured that the pads were taken off for the photo. It was really driven without break pads?

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

A student posted:

I figured that the pads were taken off for the photo. It was really driven without break pads?

I thought you were joking earlier. Here is what a brake rotor is supposed to look like:

See those radial vanes that are sandwiched between the two solid chunks of steel? Those are what you see in Gnarly's picture, because the person kept driving until the utterly destroyed brake pad wore completely through one side of the rotor.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

A student posted:

Well since there are no such things as "break pads"...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Skyssx posted:

Well since there are no such things as "break pads"...

A large percentage of Craigslist posters would differ with that opinion.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Those pictures would qualify as 'break pads' to me

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Cakefool posted:

Those pictures would qualify as 'break pads' to me

No guys, conjugate. "Broken" pads.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

peepsalot posted:

Extreme slotted rotors

Lightly Rotored Slots

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

A student posted:

he didn't properly lubricate the brakes.

I poo poo you not my friend lubed his brakes to get rid of 'that squeaking noise'

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'd take it to Napa and ask them to machine it just to get their reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

revmoo posted:

I'd take it to Napa and ask them to machine it just to get their reaction.

I wonder if you can still get the core charge?

Maybe even prorated since there's only half a rotor left?