Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Symptomless Coma posted:

Just out of interest - what's everyone here using to keep up to date? Apart from this lovely thread, of course :)

I myself am a big follower of Get Some, the blog.

Rinse, Boiler Room mostly. I read Resident Advisor a lot, as well - probably one of my favorite sites for dance music in general. FACT/xlr8r/boomkat/chemical records - like Subfries posted are all good sources of info. Subscribing to any of the major record stores's mailing lists if also a good idea - Bleep and Boomkat both send out very competent emails.

Also yeah, Blackdown's blog - which I don't check too often, is also a good source.

I don't really like reading like, random blogs that don't put out mixes from well know DJs regularly. There are a few that put out good mixes from well-known DJs aside from FACT and xlr8r, but I don't remember all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
How about residentadvisor too? It's more than bass but they review a lot of the releases associated with the uk bass scene.

Edit: oops i didn't see new page and it's mentioned right away

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
The fact that Resident Advisor is catering to an audience that thinks Francois K. and Derrick May make trance because they're "too fast" to be techno (this from the comments of a podcast featuring the two) turns me off from trusting their coverage of anything.

Thanks for the broken beat writeup 28GBB. I am still struggling with this stuff. I really want to like it because a lot of the beats are great, but all the arty fusion trappings are more than I can take sometimes. It just strikes me as a very self-conscious attempt to make "respectable" dance music and ends up slightly cheesy and anodyne because of it. I do really, really like that Embassy mix of Neon Phusion's 'How Times Fly' though.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Gamest Mook posted:

The fact that Resident Advisor is catering to an audience that thinks Francois K. and Derrick May make trance because they're "too fast" to be techno (this from the comments of a podcast featuring the two) turns me off from trusting their coverage of anything.

Thanks for the broken beat writeup 28GBB. I am still struggling with this stuff. I really want to like it because a lot of the beats are great, but all the arty fusion trappings are more than I can take sometimes. It just strikes me as a very self-conscious attempt to make "respectable" dance music and ends up slightly cheesy and anodyne because of it. I do really, really like that Embassy mix of Neon Phusion's 'How Times Fly' though.

I'm not really a fan of RA, though I think everyone got a good laugh at them totally ripping apart a Skrillex EP, though that's like stealing a kids sweeties, it's not exactly tough hunting. The comment section was great on that one.

Broken Beat can be a little hard to grasp for sure, and it's not the end of the world if you plain don't like it. Many don't. It's best to think of it less as an attempt to make 'respectable' dance music, and more just dance music made by people who really, really loving love Roy Ayers, Jazz-Fusion, Jungle and Detroit Techno, with no apprehensions of trying to appear cool.

The likes of 4Hero etc just went,"gently caress all ya'll, we're doing this. Who's with us?" and then did it, while Roni Size looked on enviously and counted his money, knowing he'd never have the bottle to do more than half-arse it. That's one reason I love Broken Beat. It's not just introduced a sax into a 160bpm D&B tune and left it at that, it's went full steam ahead, dropped and varied the tempo massively from 90bpm to like 130-140 territory, and left in the cheese and all (and let's be honest a lot of Jazz-Fusion and 70s Funk can seem pretty cheesy nowadays).

Though I will point out here when I was a kid I used to loving love Acid Jazz, and when I started (and then quickly stopped) playing the bass guitar it was the likes of Pastorious and Weather Report that made me crazy(I couldn't here anything else on my lovely all-in-one tape player/radio), so I'm pretty biased about it all.

And fun bonus video is 4Hero in the studio with Roy Ayers himself.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Gamest Mook posted:

While I will admit that they aren't exactly the most admirable source for commentary on the current events within dance music, I think that the DJs they bring in for their podcasts are good. A lot of their interviews and features are also pretty interesting for me to read. I think compared to a lot of the other sites out there it does pretty well for itself.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!

SUBFRIES posted:

I sent this list to HatchetDown a few months ago:

Sworn to it ever since, thanks again man it's definitely helped me keep current.

For content I ran into this CD "Joint Ventures" last month and I've been jammin it since. It's Baobinga collaborating with a lot of upper tier producers like Hyetal, Untold, Xxxy, Roska, and Mensah. Not to mention a drat decent jungle track with Jack Sparrow. Here's a few of my favorites.

TransPennine Express w/ Jack Sparrow

Barbakan w/ Xxxy

Baobinga - Make Me Feel

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Well bestival just put on a weekend with an insane amount of bass music on. The lineup highlights for me included loefah, Hyperdub soundsystem (with kode9, funkystepz, LV, King midas sound and joker), rinse soundsystem (with zinc, P-money+brackles, Skream + benga) Nightslugs had bok bok, jam city and lvis playing, jackmaster, pearson sound, braiden, julio Bashmore, SBTRKT, breakage with youngman, Rustie, Congo Natty, etc.. cant remember them all.

Some i saw were full sets, some clashed and i only seen a bit of all-in-all fantastic weekend and highly recommended, just a real pity i couldnt see everyone, missed Deadboy and the guys from apple-pips playing like appleblim and october, Soul Jazz soundsystem, mary anne hobbs, roska + Jamie George, artwork, Doorly + many more.

It'll be pretty loving hard to top that lineup outside of london, would definitely recommend again. Does anyone know if i just got lucky? or is the lineup every year that full of dubstep and bass? Either way there was just so loving much on, im kicking myself over missing some stuff.

edit: and if it counts here LFO were a lot of fun too.

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 14, 2011

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Forgot to mention that Katy B was in NYC tonight at Webster Hall. Hope you went if you live there.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

whhhaaatttt I can't believe I completely missed that. gently caress

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

LE0N posted:

Well bestival just put on a weekend with an insane amount of bass music on. The lineup highlights for me included loefah, Hyperdub soundsystem (with kode9, funkystepz, LV, King midas sound and joker), rinse soundsystem (with zinc, P-money+brackles, Skream + benga) Nightslugs had bok bok, jam city and lvis playing, jackmaster, pearson sound, braiden, julio Bashmore, SBTRKT, breakage with youngman, Rustie, Congo Natty, etc.. cant remember them all.

Some i saw were full sets, some clashed and i only seen a bit of all-in-all fantastic weekend and highly recommended, just a real pity i couldnt see everyone, missed Deadboy and the guys from apple-pips playing like appleblim and october, Soul Jazz soundsystem, mary anne hobbs, roska + Jamie George, artwork, Doorly + many more.

It'll be pretty loving hard to top that lineup outside of london, would definitely recommend again. Does anyone know if i just got lucky? or is the lineup every year that full of dubstep and bass? Either way there was just so loving much on, im kicking myself over missing some stuff.

edit: and if it counts here LFO were a lot of fun too.

I think Bestival was pretty similar last year, and will probably be like that more in the immediate future given how popular this kind of music is getting. Though last year I think they had Heaven 17, who I would've killed to see.

qwako
Sep 11, 2009
I was at bestival as well and was there last year too and yeah it was loving deep

night slugs killed it then claude von stroke came on after, lv were good too

saw carte blanche which is dj mehdi and some other guy and now apparently dj medhi is dead ????

sbtrkt live, james blake live and l-vis 1990 live were all brilliant and their dj sets were standardly ridiculous

fave sets prolly were loefah, braiden, bok bok

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value

This is great! I've been a Sparrow fan for a while, particularly Circadian (and the track Loveless - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep86ahdvk6E), so it's great to see him getting more hectic.

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary
I'm looking for more suggestions in the line of: Blawan, Objekt, Jack Sparrow, Randomer... basically techno influenced. Ideally 130 bpmish -- I don't mind four on the floor at all. Most importantly, it has to be dark. I really like instra:mental, anstam, bunch of the hessle guys, but they all are a little too broken beat and a little too future garage. I really dig the percussion and atonality of most of the stuff guys like Blawan put out.

9b817f5 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 15, 2011

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.
I can't stop listening to this tune...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUuHEkbtelQ

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

FYI: Bok Bok's doing some sets around the US starting tomorrow (I think), so go if you live in Denver, LA, NYC, Houston or Phoenix http://nightslugs.net/bokbok

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

Anacostia posted:

I'm looking for more suggestions in the line of: Blawan, Objekt, Jack Sparrow, Randomer... basically techno influenced. Ideally 130 bpmish -- I don't mind four on the floor at all. Most importantly, it has to be dark. I really like instra:mental, anstam, bunch of the hessle guys, but they all are a little too broken beat and a little too future garage. I really dig the percussion and atonality of most of the stuff guys like Blawan put out.

Check out the label 50 Weapons. You're really going to like the Cosmin TRG stuff. I just picked up their new comp and have been enjoying the hell out of it:

http://www.discogs.com/Various-50-Weapons-Of-Choice-10-19/release/2998394

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

Mike_V posted:

FYI: Bok Bok's doing some sets around the US starting tomorrow (I think), so go if you live in Denver, LA, NYC, Houston or Phoenix http://nightslugs.net/bokbok

He'll also be playing Icee Hot in SF with Martyn and Girl Unit on the first.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Anacostia posted:

I'd definitely check out 2562's alias A Made Up Sound. A bit more an overtly Techno-y thing compared to the 2562 name, and I always liked it better than the actual 2562 stuff (which I know isn't saying much).

isomerc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUuHEkbtelQ

TMSV definitely one of the producers to come up over the last year or two who I keep an eye on. His work on Black Box sub-label Box Clever has been really good. Though as most people here know I generally give big props to anyone on Black Box or it's offspring. Quality label releasing quality tunes.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Mike_V posted:

I wish I had the funds to do trips to Houston for music. So much poo poo passes Dallas by, especially DJs. Instead we get Busshunter every two weeks it seems.

simplyPARTICLE
Aug 6, 2009

isomerc posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUuHEkbtelQ
I love TMSVs box clever releases (and everything on that label), they sort of capture the sounds which originally got me into dubstep whilst still being innovative and fresh. Hope he comes over to the UK soon, his mixes are so good, this is probably my most listened to mix this year: http://soundcloud.com/dj-snaps-kfr-guest-mixes/tmsv-guest-mix-13-02-11

Here's the upcoming box clever release, it kind of suprised me after kahn's release on punch drunk:
Kahn - wat mi defend http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1J7gdFVYa8

Anacostia posted:

Definitely dark, but more house you might like Midland
Midland - through motion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWhBPnP29uk
Ramadanman & Midland - More Than You Know http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92NrW5kojuw

Some more technoy stuff
Sigha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1O69WDXxcM
Kassem Mosse - we speak to those http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I-vGhJ-lak

Also you mentioned instra:mental, not sure if you are including the solo works of boddika and jon convex, if not you check them out.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I'm not a big Boddika fan, he seems to be tapping into more of an electro sound with his solo stuff, whereas Jon Convex definitely makes the source of Instra:mental's IDM tendencies apparent.

If you're looking for tech-y bass music, check out the Pictures Music and Naked Lunch labels, both of which specialize in that kind of stuff. In terms of actual artists, I've been listening to a lot of Presk and Nightwave (aka 8bitch) lately.

And if you like Instra:mental, you'd probably do well to check out dBridge and the rest of the whole Autonomic scene (which seems sort of defunct now, actually. That was kind of quick).

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
I'm not into dubstep very much so this might sound strange, but are there any producers out there making really dark, spooky sounding dubstep? Like maybe a producer mixing dubstep with dark ambient? I'm not really sure how to explain this.

Kryptic Minds is the darkest dubstep I've managed to find so far, but I wouldn't call them "spooky".

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

toxick posted:

I'm not into dubstep very much so this might sound strange, but are there any producers out there making really dark, spooky sounding dubstep? Like maybe a producer mixing dubstep with dark ambient? I'm not really sure how to explain this.

Kryptic Minds is the darkest dubstep I've managed to find so far, but I wouldn't call them "spooky".

Get Dubstep Allstars vol 8.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

Weaponized Cum posted:

Get Dubstep Allstars vol 8.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm listening to it now and it's pretty drat good so far.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

I just played a set at Louisiana's longest running weekly, Bassbin Safari.

Here's the vast majority of my set, lots of Future Bass, UK Funky, Juke, and a little bit of jungle :) :

http://www.mediafire.com/?d6rn1ubf14seumh

tracklist:

Girl Unit - IRL (French Fries remix)
Champion - lighter
Marcus Price & Carli - Mat, Bira, Kvinnor, Weed (Kingdom Remix)
Warrior One - bad like jimmy cliff
T. Williams - in the deep (zander hardy remmix)
Bambounou - Nappy heard (French Fries Remix)
Savage Skulls - Caravan (Jacques Greene Remix)
Littlefoot - Faceless
Femme En Fourrure - Femdom
Bad Autopsy - Rotpot
FATASTIC MR FOX - over
DOM HZ - Funky Boy
VVV - back to life
CLICKS & WHISTLES - RAW PASSION
RESKETCH - Give it Them
DJ ROC - No Chance
Africa HiTech - Out in the Streets
DJ CLAP - I want you
Phillip D Kick + Omni Trio - Renegade Snares (footwork edit)
DJ Spinn - Lol
DJ Diamond - I choose you
Chrissy Murderbot - Braaain
Munchi - Mi Ta Bek
Slick Shoota - Pussyclot Funk Dem
DJ Spinn - Feelin' You
Phillip D Kick + Adam F - Circles (footwork edit)
Chrissy Murderbot Ft. DJ Spinn - Bussin Down
D'Cruze - Lonely

I used traktor with no cue cause thats how I roll when I play digital.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

toxick posted:

If you like that I'd also maybe check out Youngsta's recent(ish) Rinse CD which is Vol.14, that should do you. A couple of Kryptic Minds cuts on there too.

Oh and this week we also got a new single by Dub War (Benny Ill & Ben Robin, long time partners who did the Bill & Ben stuff on Harthouse) out on Tempa. 10 years after their last (and up til then only) release, we have have The Funky Deal b/w The Depths. Really liking the a-side, with a fantastic groove and swing that subtly injects itself into the track. Wonderful.

And I really hope everyone is excited about the new Zed Bias album Biasonic Hotsauce - Birth Of The Nanocloud that drops in the next week or two. Probably a bit more Housey than the Maddslinky album and more in line with the last ZB album, it's sounding good from what I've heard. Sadly the lead single - Fairplay(a cover of the classic Soul II Soul song featuring Jenna G) / Phoneline - was digital only, though there is a collab with Skream dropping on wax when the album is out. The album looks to be filled with guests as well, either co-producing or on vocals or whatever.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Anacostia posted:

I'm looking for more suggestions in the line of: Blawan, Objekt, Jack Sparrow, Randomer...

Back to this, I think you might dig DJ Rum. Here's a few from his newest Mountains EP.

Mountains Pt.1
Undercoat

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Haha, apparently Brackles put out a 12" on Rinse recently? There's been no fanfare on the station as far as I can tell, but I'll check it out soon.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Mike_V posted:

Haha, apparently Brackles put out a 12" on Rinse recently? There's been no fanfare on the station as far as I can tell, but I'll check it out soon.

Guess it got swept under the rug with all the birthday stuff. I'm listening to it now and I'm enjoying it. The second drop on the A side (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgqPCxHlK2c) is great. The B side is a little chiller/spacier, reminds me of Egyptrixx.

edit: the Walton EP that just came out on Hyperdub is pretty bangin too, reminds me of newer Bok Bok and DOK but a little housier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzA7OreVBWs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a6uuFI4_Nc

JamesKPolk fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 16, 2011

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium
Now I remember some of you guys talking about this, but I spotted it and dug it out with a pile of other stuff while trying to decide what to do for the next part of my guide. No idea if this will make the final cut or not, but just for you guys we have the Horsepower mix of Blazin' Squads Standard Flow. Hope you don't mind I've just put up the dub mix only.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Now I remember some of you guys talking about this, but I spotted it and dug it out with a pile of other stuff while trying to decide what to do for the next part of my guide. No idea if this will make the final cut or not, but just for you guys we have the Horsepower mix of Blazin' Squads Standard Flow. Hope you don't mind I've just put up the dub mix only.

You loving legend! i have an unhealthy obsession with all things blazin squad to be honest ahahaha it was a bit weird to find out HP did a mix for them. Cheers :)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

There is no amount of white people in native dress that dBridge can't fix.

*e Pinch closed out his set with "Pump Up the Jam" and lo, every inert rear end was made alive

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Sep 18, 2011

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
I need some songs in the vein of Burial - Archangel or Sully - Give Me Up or Sepalcure - Feeling I Know So Well. Stuff with that deep and heavy yet fragile sound that you just wanna space out to. 2step-garagey vocals are always a plus. What are some artists/comps/tracks to check out?

Subtle
Apr 19, 2008

GET MONEY posted:

I need some songs in the vein of Burial - Archangel or Sully - Give Me Up or Sepalcure - Feeling I Know So Well. Stuff with that deep and heavy yet fragile sound that you just wanna space out to. 2step-garagey vocals are always a plus. What are some artists/comps/tracks to check out?

Graphics makes some nice garagey stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZxnpJQXUGo

Roof Light does this sort of stuff too-very similar to burial (perhaps too similar...) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVNIP2NXZ8o

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Machinedrum and Braille are obvious places to start, seeing as how they collectively make up Sepalcure. Also try the oeuvre of West Norwood Cassette Library, both artist and label.

Other than that, maybe FaltyDL's (Falty DL's?) full-lengths for Planet Mu.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Badman tune from Dream.....loving ridiculous. Didn't know he did it like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpCYvTPP-o0

http://soundcloud.com/dream-dubstep

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

GET MONEY posted:

Well you should check out Sully's recently released LP. I talked about it a few days back. And definitely Dusk & Blackdown's LP from a few years ago - Margins Music. Heavy on the atmoshphere and 2-step influences.

And maybe the two Kryptic Minds CDs. Not exactly as bumping, but definitely moody and heavy. I always thought a lot of the times it can be a less sampling, garagey Burial.

I also think the most recent Scuba LP could do it as well. Maybe at times not spaced out enough, and occasionally verging in a kind of Minimal Techno sound, but you can always give it a try.

Actually some of that Dub Techno stuff might fit your bill. . Basic Channel, Maurizio etc, though I'm not the one to recommend that since to be honest I've never really liked it much. On saying that I really liked Liumin, the latest LP by Echospace, out on Modern Love. Sure it's 4x4, but it's chilled enough it can wash out into the background without it being super bland. Worth it for the nice cover anyway, shame it was never on vinyl.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

knox posted:

Badman tune from Dream.....loving ridiculous. Didn't know he did it like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpCYvTPP-o0

http://soundcloud.com/dream-dubstep

Reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JPbfNnHGnw

Dream - Go Hard at 1:55. So bro-ey, but at the same time so fun. That tent exploded during that set.

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face
New Butterz email went out today and there is a lot of big news. Looks like Elijah & Skilliam will be featured on Rinse 17. The autumn zip is out!

Check it out: http://ymlp.com/zERDVf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Decline posted:

New Butterz email went out today and there is a lot of big news. Looks like Elijah & Skilliam will be featured on Rinse 17. The autumn zip is out!

Check it out: http://ymlp.com/zERDVf.

Good, it's about time there was another proper grime mix.

• Locked thread