Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnipeBob
Dec 8, 2006

"You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel."
hhgregg, an electronics-appliance store, has just opened a bunch of stores in the Chicago area. As a result, local TV and radio stations have been bombarded with this abomination of a song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th67EtkBqBk

It sounds worse on the radio.

Doing a terrible cover of a Beatles song is not going to make me want to shop in your stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I hate the new Taco Bell commercial where they have an "edgy" trick chef making that 99 cent chicken, ranch, cheese, and wrap. I'm trying to use my imagination but given the types of stoners that work at my local taco bell I have a hard time pretending that kind of effort is put into that wrap.

Enid Coleslaw
May 17, 2011

by Ion Helmet
THIS has to be one of the all time worst
it sort of rhymes with bellend

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]

SnipeBob posted:

hhgregg, an electronics-appliance store, has just opened a bunch of stores in the Chicago area. As a result, local TV and radio stations have been bombarded with this abomination of a song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th67EtkBqBk

It sounds worse on the radio.

Doing a terrible cover of a Beatles song is not going to make me want to shop in your stores.

It's still way better than these abominations. I hate that little bastard.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

vyst posted:

I hate the new Taco Bell commercial where they have an "edgy" trick chef making that 99 cent chicken, ranch, cheese, and wrap. I'm trying to use my imagination but given the types of stoners that work at my local taco bell I have a hard time pretending that kind of effort is put into that wrap.

That one is pretty horrible, I keep hoping he'll slip and stab himself while making the thing.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

What the gently caress kind of currency is a ":-"?

Swedish kronor in this case.

MillionsV
Jun 11, 2010

vyst posted:

The long-form version of this commercial drives me loving berserk.

Douche chef: I can do that.

Judge: For 99 cents?

Douche chef: Probably not.

Grrrr! OF COURSE you can do it for 99 cents, jerkoff! THAT'S WHAT IT COSTS!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

MillionsV posted:

The long-form version of this commercial drives me loving berserk.

Douche chef: I can do that.

Judge: For 99 cents?

Douche chef: Probably not.

Grrrr! OF COURSE you can do it for 99 cents, jerkoff! THAT'S WHAT IT COSTS!

I know the thing they're going for is "You wouldn't find somehting like this for 99c elsewhere!", but what that says to me is "We make these things with 99c worth of ingredients and effort".

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
gently caress you Tobacco Free Florida. This is just disgusting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHFybmby7-U

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Sporadic posted:

Goddamn I haven't seen that one yet here. That's nasty

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I also like how the commercial doesn't mention anything other than the guy with the nasty aorta was 32 and a smoker. Statistically, if he's from the United States, then he's most likely overweight/obese, and we all know your weight has nothing to do with your heart functionality.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Public Enema posted:

Swedish kronor in this case.

Actually, I misspoke: I should have said, what kind of currency mark is that? They couldn't afford a unique symbol like the big-boy countries? Did Nordic politeness go too far? "Oh, we don't want to be a hassle for keyboard designers, just give us a few random punctuation marks to paste together, we'll make do!"

I shouldn't be finding this as funny as I am.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Sporadic posted:

They've been playing this in the NYC area for a while now. It's pretty gross.

fraggle rockist
Jan 28, 2009

by T. Finninho
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0ue-Dp_SwM
I feel asleep a few weeks ago while the tv was on and this PSA made me jump. It's extremely loud and really unnerving.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sporadic posted:

Did they get that from an organ donor? Because that's a pretty insulting thing to do with someone's remains.

Achozen
Jun 28, 2007

I never asked for all that power.

Vicas posted:

I was about to say. I remember that ad from YEARS ago, and it still grosses me the hell out to this day.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

SpacePig posted:

I know the thing they're going for is "You wouldn't find somehting like this for 99c elsewhere!", but what that says to me is "We make these things with 99c worth of ingredients and effort".
Remember they have to make a profit after overhead so it's actually more like 20c worth of ingredients and effort!

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Polaron posted:

The Budweiser one is actually the one they shot in response to the attacks back in 2001, but this time they've added the under-construction Freedom Tower to the skyline whereas in the original there was just, well, a big empty spot.

I see, never watched much TV back in 2001.

It still kinda makes me feel sick that they of all companies aired that, they're almost as bad as the companies that use the attacks to sell expensive novelty coins.
At least they have attention to detail and put the new Freedom Tower in there, gotta give them that credit.

Vicas posted:

Who on earth thought that was a good idea to put something gross like that on TV?

The guy squeezed the thing like a loving Toothpaste tube, thats nasty.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I like the Pawn Stars Energy Stackers commercials because they're basically saying to the viewers, yeah, we're totally scripted, what are you gonna do about it?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

JackGeneric posted:

It's still way better than these abominations. I hate that little bastard.

Wally Wingert does the voice. I see no issue with those commercials. :colbert:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I don't get people bugging out over the Taco Bell guy. You might as well rip into every car commercial ever because you'll never be doing 150MPH in the Great Salt Flats or something.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I just saw that goddamn Five-Hour Energy commercial. The one with the lady who apparently would much prefer her man stay the hell asleep rather then actually be awake and do poo poo with her. What the gently caress?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Holy crap just saw the Fiat commercial with jennifer lopez and that poo poo sucks so loving much. The car looks like a piece of poo poo, the song sounds loving horrible, and she does this really horrible dance move in the end. I really used to like jennifer lopez back in the the day and used to think she was a decent dancer but this poo poo lazy

TontoCorazon fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 16, 2011

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I just saw that goddamn Five-Hour Energy commercial. The one with the lady who apparently would much prefer her man stay the hell asleep rather then actually be awake and do poo poo with her. What the gently caress?

The best part of this post is that I saw that commercial while heading to the bathroom to pee and got all aggro about how seemingly every commercial is now about how couples hate the poo poo out of each other. It's not cute, it's genuinely destructive when like 90% of the poo poo you see while waiting to get back to your show is how everyone hates themselves.

I'm sure there's an advertising reason for this -- something about tapping into the fact that people are unhappy right now in general, but I'm sick of it. It started with making the white dad a brain-dead dumb gently caress because that was "safe" and now it's just everyone and everything because "well, we can't not include the Necessary Ethnic Group (no biracial now!)" in things because then somehow some folks are excluded from identifying with the hate and distrust and superiority.

It makes me really sad, and I don't really like watching TV anymore, which is sort of counter to this whole subforum.

TontoCorazon posted:

Holy crap just saw the Fiat commercial with jennifer lopez and that poo poo sucks so loving much. The car looks like a piece of poo poo, the doing sounds loving horrible, and she does this really horrible dance move in the end. I really used to like jennifer lopez back in the the day and used to think she was a decent dancer but this poo poo lazy

Yeah, it's a really, really bad commercial. The car really is fugly (drat near Cube-level fugly if it weren't so goddamn... featureless), she's as hot as ever until she moves, but that song is... not so good. Or any good. And it's on. A LOT.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Yup, I'm straight-up double-posting because BRENDA WALSH IS HAWKING EDUCATION CONNECTION. I'm so not even kidding. I want you all to see it, naturally.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Yeah I see that a lot on Hulu and it's so stupid. Nice husband making an effort to do things with her and she's a big cunting bitch about it. He should have kicked her after she threw that shirt at her.

I know you can't avoid commercials on Hulu, but I really wish they'd switch them up. It seems you get the same commercial during the entire show you're watching, over and over again.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
e: Oh, page 2 someone talked about the starburst dog ad. Sweet gently caress it's still on last.fm and inspires so much hate in me

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

big business sloth posted:

I don't know if it's actually a television ad or not, but has anyone been listening to last.fm and continuously seen that loving starburst commercial with the dog and the two guys in the car?

Fat idiot moron: "snk...heh... you're dog's quite the contradiction...!"

No he isn't you insufferable twat I am going to find and kill you

It comes on about once every 10 songs and this smug moron just keeps announcing his incredibly lofty insight which is completely moronic and false. It's not even a contradiction at all, you goddamn dicksplashes! I'm so surprised at how mad I can get at a dumb ad, but sweet hell, Starburst, you've done it.

I'm sure y'all have voiced how awful those Starburst: A Juicy Contradiction! ads are, but since I don't have TV I rarely see them. There are lots more, I assume.

Yeah, that one's pretty bad. They're not all bad, though. The Scotch-Korean kid get a chuckle out of me.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
That's still not a contradiction though. That's what gets me most.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

SpacePig posted:

Yeah, that one's pretty bad. They're not all bad, though. The Scotch-Korean kid get a chuckle out of me.

I'll never stop laughing at the screaming mime.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F5SEwZoS38&feature=related

"I AM A MIME!!!"

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

big business sloth posted:

That's still not a contradiction though. That's what gets me most.

Neither is a Starburst. It's like how none of Alanis Morissette's ironies were actually ironic.

If the things are delivered humorously enough, like the Scotch-Korean kid, or that mime posted above, then it doesn't really matter what it really is. What makes the dog one especially bad is that monotone "Hey, how about that dog, huh?" way it's deliviered.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

SpacePig posted:

It's like how none of Alanis Morissette's ironies were actually ironic.

Actually....yes they were. There are quite a few different forms of irony. The one defined in the dictionary under "irony" is Literary Irony. There is also cosmic irony, which is defined thus:

Dictionary.com posted:

the idea that fate, destiny, or a god controls and toys with human hopes and expectations

The majority of Alanis' examples would fall into this definition. There is also comic irony, dramatic irony, tragic irony, historical irony, and Socratic irony, to name a few more.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Actually....yes they were. There are quite a few different forms of irony. The one defined in the dictionary under "irony" is Literary Irony.

No. The name of the song was "Ironic," which means "the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning." None of the examples in the song were ironic, which makes the title of the song appropriate.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Sizzlechest posted:

No. The name of the song was "Ironic," which means "the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning." None of the examples in the song were ironic, which makes the title of the song appropriate.

And you've completely missed what I was saying. Irony is not limited to the ONE definition, the one you've quoted, which is literary irony. Irony has quite a few different definitions. The song being called "Ironic" doesn't mean it has to be that one definition. Anything is ironic if it hits one of the definitions.

For instance, The Gift of the Magi is completely ironic, but it doesn't fit your definition. It's ironic when someone who is apposed to helmet laws falls off his motorcycle and dies from a head injury at an anti-helmet law protest (true story). But that doesn't fit your definition either.

Hence, the majority of examples in her song ARE ironic. They just aren't ironic in the literary sense. Someone who's afraid to fly because they think they're going to die and then finally getting on a plane only to die is cosmic irony. Someone who's innocent waiting to be pardoned and it does come, just too late to actually save them is cosmic irony. They are ironic, just as the song title states.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I've seen goons sometimes getting to be way smug over the name of that song* since I joined in 02, here's to hoping you're right.

*Also "omg they played fortunate son in that vietnam movie, don't they know?"

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

TontoCorazon posted:

Holy crap just saw the Fiat commercial with jennifer lopez and that poo poo sucks so loving much. The car looks like a piece of poo poo, the song sounds loving horrible, and she does this really horrible dance move in the end. I really used to like jennifer lopez back in the the day and used to think she was a decent dancer but this poo poo lazy

She's wearing some seriously terrible "mom shorts" too. Is that supposed to be attractive?

Also, it may just be me, but her make-up and facial expressions really reminded me of Kim K. Was that intentional, or do I just think all girls with huge asses look the same?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I can't see JLo the same anymore after I saw a picture of her in a snakeskin suit, and she looked like Stephen Tyler.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Thenipwax posted:

She's wearing some seriously terrible "mom shorts" too. Is that supposed to be attractive?

Reminds me of this spoof commercial from SNL - Mom Jeans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URYZVsEZE8M

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
She does commercials for Kohl's now too. Kohl's is a little rich for my blood but isn't it just a small step above Ross/Gordman's and about equal to JC Penney? Or am I completely off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bodnoirbabe posted:

It's ironic when someone who is apposed to helmet laws falls off his motorcycle and dies from a head injury at an anti-helmet law protest (true story). But that doesn't fit your definition either.

That sounds like the opposite of ironic. Someone who is proud of not taking precautions against head injuries dies of a head injury.

Wagonburner posted:

She does commercials for Kohl's now too. Kohl's is a little rich for my blood but isn't it just a small step above Ross/Gordman's and about equal to JC Penney? Or am I completely off?

I was always under the impression that it was just a step up from Wal/K-mart. It's a good place to go if you want to buy some cheap pants that aren't also shoddy pieces of crap.