Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

The Cubelodyte posted:

Oh poo poo.

Harbor Freight just opened a store where I live. They used to be a 45-minute drive.

I'm afraid for my wallet. :ohdear:

The gas for that to return poo poo that came broken does tend to add up, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I was sick of dragging a cord around to do soldering on my car, so I went to Fry's electronics and picked up a new one. I got a Weller ML500MP butane portable iron and this thing is awesome. It has a little piezo sparker so you don't have to light it with a lighter like the lovely pencil torches from HF, but the coils stay hot long enough that you don't even have to use it every time you start it. Even on the lowest setting it gets heated up enough within 5-10 seconds, although it's a little hot for doing work on heat sensitive devices unless you are good and fast or use a heat sink. I haven't tried yet, but I bet it's hot enough to do at least 10awg in a reasonable period of time.

Only downsides I can see is that it doesn't take normal tips from regular Weller irons, they have their own, but they are locally available and reasonably priced at least. It also doesn't come with any butane or solder, but a <$5 5.5oz can should last quite a few hours of constant running, and solder is cheap and probably would have had to be crappy RoHS stuff anyways. The tip could be a little sharper, but it's fine for it's intended usage. For $17.99, I'd definitely recommend it if you're looking for something nice and portable, but don't want to spend a lot.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 24, 2011

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

Viggen posted:

The gas for that to return poo poo that came broken does tend to add up, after all.

Yeah, true enough. Too bad they weren't closer when my HF compressor turned out lovely. I also like their consumables like nitrile gloves; they're much cheaper than anyplace else in town.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

The Cubelodyte posted:

Yeah, true enough. Too bad they weren't closer when my HF compressor turned out lovely. I also like their consumables like nitrile gloves; they're much cheaper than anyplace else in town.

About the only loving product you don't need to pre-test before you buy..

I got a $20 paint sprayer to fix up the fence (HOA nazis say its time even if it is all red and not rotting), and it came seized, and they would not let me give it a blast in the store, even with water.

E: My HF is 50 miles away, for what it's (not) worth.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
A person I know takes boxes of nitrile gloves from the hospital for me. Can't beat free!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PBCrunch posted:

A person I know takes boxes of nitrile gloves from the hospital for me. Can't beat free!

You're the reason healthcare costs are so high :colbert:

Actually it shocks me how easy it is to steal poo poo from hospitals. A friend of mine worked as a flashlight cop at a regional hospital chain and basically built a trauma bag out of stuff he pilfered from supply closets and patient rooms at 3 AM.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 25, 2011

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Re: Harbor Freight: I have a little wagon that I use for tons of different jobs, and it has ordinary hand truck/wagon tires exactly like these:

After so many years of hard work, the front two tires were just hosed and fell apart, the tubes were bad, and while the rear tubes still held air, the tires back there were also hosed. I looked around and found that those little tires that costs pennies to make are not cheap for such a small piece of rubber. Nonetheless, I'd gone to Lowe's and saw that they had a set of tires with tubes already assembled and ready to be put on. I jumped for joy, paid $29.99 for one set (I'd buy the other se later) thinking I was getting a good deal, and went home to put them on the wagon. My neigbor saw what I was doing, came over and asked me about the tires. When I told him what I'd paid for them with a sense of value, he told me, "You should have gone to Harbor Freight. they have them for $5 each."

That's when my happy little smile turned to a distant "gently caress, he's right." This is why more HFs should be built closer to us all! There's two HFs in ths town, and both are on the other side of town :( Meanwhile, this side of town has a gently caress-off gigantic new shopping plaza that's hurting for tenants and has department store sized lots waiting for something like a Harbor Freight to occupy, dagnabbit :argh:

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
They have ones that are made of solid rubber now, no more lovely leaky inner tubes.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
I used to live a 5 min drive from harbor freight, now its a 90 mile drive. Have never been to that one either, did the math and its like 26 in gas so I figure shipping on the website will be cheaper on most things.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

I had the exact same thought, I was just too lazy to find a screencap.

The Cubelodyte posted:

Oh poo poo.

Harbor Freight just opened a store where I live. They used to be a 45-minute drive.

I'm afraid for my wallet. :ohdear:
It's kind of like Homer eating the canned plankton at the 33¢ store-- "But it's sooo cheap!"

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Ugh. Chinese tires at work are soooooo bad. They're round, and hold air, but they wear out in 1/10th the time of an American made tire. I honestly wouldn't put them on my tractor even though labor (me) is free. I guess the tires at Lowe's are going to be the same as the ones at HF, so bleh.

Slob
Jul 9, 2002
I bought one of those HF trailer wheels for my wheelbarrow and it blew apart at 22psi, nearly taking two of my fingers off. It was rated for 30.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Anyone have any experience with this service cart from Harbor Freight? I've been kicking around buying a small rolling tool chest for my garage and this would have more than enough room for my tools and is on sale for $160 this weekend. Thoughts?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I know someone who had one. The hinge on the door wobbled a lot and the casters kinda sucked, otherwise it seemed fine.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Geoj posted:

Anyone have any experience with this service cart from Harbor Freight? I've been kicking around buying a small rolling tool chest for my garage and this would have more than enough room for my tools and is on sale for $160 this weekend. Thoughts?

We use one at work, seems to work pretty good.

truckramrod
Dec 11, 2004
Black Culture Thief!?!

oxbrain posted:

I know someone who had one. The hinge on the door wobbled a lot and the casters kinda sucked, otherwise it seemed fine.

If those are the niggling details that keep it from being a $500+ unit thats a sacrifice most people would make.
I encouraged a lube tech at work to get one and he loves it. Another guy and I own the smaller black carts and they are very nice for the money as well.
Assembly of the carts isn't too enjoyable but really just requires patience and a extra hand here and there.

In my opinion, the 156 5 star reviews and an average 5 star rating speak for themselves.

I am partial though, they call it Hoover freight around my work(my last name) and ask me if I'm the president.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Splizwarf posted:

The problem is that the Napa kit is a huge turd.

This is my final judgement.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Ace Hardware has 2-packs of camp stove propane for free (4.99 minus a 4.99 register coupon)

I need to sweat some pipes way more than I need to go camping right now, so I tried screwing on my soldering torch, but gas leaks out the end even with the torch knob tightly "off."

Do these camp fuel tanks just contain a higher pressure gas than the long skinny "plumbing tanks?"

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
I got this ClampTool as a gift after seeing it on Cool Tools and it's pretty sweet:

It's used to make custom clamps out of stainless steel wire, like this:

I used it a few weeks ago to clamp my catalytic converter's heat shield, which was rattling like a mother fucker, and while my clamps won't be winning any awards for beauty, it hasn't made a peep since. I have the cheapest model (the one in the picture) but the high end version is strong enough to use a wrench on it and can make clamps for hydraulic line!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
That's pretty nifty. Can you take the clamp off easily too?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So I bought a big box of tools off of craigslist. I got a router, drill, saw, jigsaw and sander, all for $40 dollars. Four of them are Craftsman, and the router is Ryobi, so seems like they all should be pretty high quality. everything works except for the drill, and I suspect it's something to do with the power cord.

I don't really have any idea how old these things are though, the guy I bought them from said his dad gave them to him in the early '70s. I know the router is more modern, but I'm not sure on the rest. Anyone else have a guess?

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

heat posted:

I got this ClampTool as a gift after seeing it on Cool Tools and it's pretty sweet:

It's used to make custom clamps out of stainless steel wire, like this:

I used it a few weeks ago to clamp my catalytic converter's heat shield, which was rattling like a mother fucker, and while my clamps won't be winning any awards for beauty, it hasn't made a peep since. I have the cheapest model (the one in the picture) but the high end version is strong enough to use a wrench on it and can make clamps for hydraulic line!

I just read the "how does it work" and for gently caress's sake, it's easier to just buy a proper clamp.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

wav3form posted:

I just read the "how does it work" and for gently caress's sake, it's easier to just buy a proper clamp.

It looks complicated but it's really not, and you can get it much tighter than a normal clamp

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Anyone ever used a Northern Tool generator? I know their engines are probably chinese copies of Honda GX engines, but that doesn't matter to me. I want their 7.5k PTO generator, now that the fam has a proper tractor.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Skyssx posted:

Anyone ever used a Northern Tool generator? I know their engines are probably chinese copies of Honda GX engines, but that doesn't matter to me. I want their 7.5k PTO generator, now that the fam has a proper tractor.

90% of Northern tool=Harbor Freight... Seriously.

I've got a few friends with HF gensets, and they've been ok. Noisy, burn a little more fuel than name-brand, but they work OK.

I'm a huge fan of the Honda EU Series, however, they don't make a PTO-gen.

I'd think about the 7.2KW HF unit. http://www.harborfreight.com/10000-watts-max-7200-watts-rated-belt-driven-generator-head-45416.html
OR, their 15KW PTO Genset: http://www.harborfreight.com/16000-watts-max-15000-watts-rated-tractor-driven-pto-generator-65309.html

No idea how the one you are looking matches up for price...

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
7.2k matches the PTO HP nicely. However, that is a bare generator head that needs to spin at 3600 RPM. The PTO outputs 540. I'm just window shopping at this point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just a heads up, if you live near a Meijer they are blowing out tons of their Shop Force brand stuff as well as a ton of Black & Decker tools and accessories. I picked up a $60 cordless drill for $10 and 20 different bit sets for $15 total. They had a huge variety of stuff, power tools, safety gear, even tool boxes for as much as 75% off. Might be worthwhile on a lot of stuff.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

heat posted:

It looks complicated but it's really not, and you can get it much tighter than a normal clamp

After i looked at it a few times it made more sense and I can see the benefit of having this thing. Not sure I would ever use it but you never know.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Skyssx posted:

7.2k matches the PTO HP nicely. However, that is a bare generator head that needs to spin at 3600 RPM. The PTO outputs 540. I'm just window shopping at this point.

That head needs to be belt-driven anyway. So you use a drive pulley that's 6.66x larger than the pulley you stick on the generator head, and put a belt between them.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Fixed my mom's Ranger today. One of the upper ball joints was like a marble in a paint can. I'll post a video this week. The other three ball joints were loose. Brakes shot. Calipers inspected ok, but wear patterns indicated something was misaligned. Replaced the wheel bearings, too. I got the small rotors, (because it's a small Ranger), and got to actually mounting the rotors before seeing they were "comically" undersized compared to the rotor. gently caress! No wait. One time, long time ago, I (stupidly) bought some slotted Brembo rotors for my Ranger that turned out to be too big! I dug them out and they were a perfect match! So now my mom is rocking "super duty" brake pads and "racing" rotors. Fixing that crap exposed ABS and proportioning faults, the ABS comes on aggressively every time you drop below about 12 MPH. The rear brakes are doing nothing.

So TOOLS! I got four tools for this job that I've been wanting for a while. The Lisle "handy packer" bearing greaser. Not at ALL handy, but does a AR better job greasing roller bearings than my hand. Lisle 3 pack pickle forks with manual and air shanks. Worked fantastically! Finally, I got some wire wheel and cup attachments for my angle grinder to clean off huge rusty nastiness. Oh and a set of metric 1/2" drive 6 point impact sockets. No more abusing 12 points and rounding off heads.

Seriously, though. The pickle forks. First time working on cars were the answer was to hit it as hard as possible with the biggest hammer in your garage!

Skyssx fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 6, 2011

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I'm looking to buy my first arc welder to do some learning and practicing on, before eventually tackling some minor body work.

120v seems like the best idea to me for now. What should I be looking at? I've seen the Lincolns at Home Depot and some mixed reviews around the internet. I've also been looking at the Hobart Handler 140 for about $500, which seems universally liked. Any great deals for a novice looking to get proficient?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Thought I'd post up my cheap little motored bike tool bag that fits in my backpack, each handle has about 15ft of 650 paracord. Used a cobra stitch (solomon bar) you can do this on anything really - you can never have enough paracord!

The Goods:

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 14, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
I got a free set of Pittsburgh ratchets from Harbor Freight today. I don't think it's worth the cost.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I bought one of the cheap composite-handled Pittsburgh 3/8" ratchets back in the spring, and I've been using it all summer without issue. The action is much finer than my 10-year-old Craftsman, and the handle is slightly more comfortable. It is a bit fatter, so I still grab the Craftsman for tight spaces, but I'll grab the Pittsburgh 9 times out of 10.

And when I say "all summer", I mean I usually spend at least 2-3 hours a week wrenching on something. I'll get way more use out of it over the winter, when I'm busier fixing cars instead of detailing and driving them.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

PitViper posted:

I bought one of the cheap composite-handled Pittsburgh 3/8" ratchets back in the spring, and I've been using it all summer without issue. The action is much finer than my 10-year-old Craftsman, and the handle is slightly more comfortable. It is a bit fatter, so I still grab the Craftsman for tight spaces, but I'll grab the Pittsburgh 9 times out of 10.

And when I say "all summer", I mean I usually spend at least 2-3 hours a week wrenching on something. I'll get way more use out of it over the winter, when I'm busier fixing cars instead of detailing and driving them.

Yup, those composite ratchets are awesome.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Does anyone know if Harbor Freight's 2.5CFM vacuum pump should sound like there's a drat ball-bearing or something bouncing around inside of it? I used one today to pull a vacuum and refill my car, and it sounded like a tiny diesel or something.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'm probably going to be picking up an electric impact wrench this weekend. Is the $50 harbor freight one w/ 230 lb/ft a good one?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

revmoo posted:

I'm probably going to be picking up an electric impact wrench this weekend. Is the $50 harbor freight one w/ 230 lb/ft a good one?
I have the twin hammer 1/2" one which I think was like $49 when I bought it. It's had no problem taking off rusty axle nuts or crank bolts.

E: gently caress guess I missed the word electric in your post somehow. I think the general rule is don't buy Harbor Freight electrical stuff unless you plan on using it once and then throwing it in the garbage, or returning it.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 16, 2011

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

revmoo posted:

It works ok, especially for the price. Don't expect too much and you'll be happy with it. I think I got mine for like $40 with the coupon. If you have a compressor though, I STRONGLY recommend going with an air powered impact. I use this one daily: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00919984000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3 and it is a poo poo ton better than the harbor freight electric one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

revmoo posted:

I won this Northern Tool 1/2" corless impact wrench as a door prize last year, and it's worked great for me. It's got something like 200#s of torque on paper, but it drops with the battery voltage; on anything less than a fresh charge, I'm well short of 100#s with a 100# torque stick. Still, I can change 8 wheels on a single battery, which is nice.