Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Cogeco is honestly a really bad ISP. As bad as the rest of them (Teksavvy excluded I suppose). When I was working there I'd say anywhere from 1/4-1/2 of the issues I dealt with were company related, not customer related. Slow/Intermittent speeds because the techs didn't wanna do a proper install, hilariously crappy modems, constant outages, blatant lies from sales staff(Oh yes sir, that 5 year old samsung modem will be able to do your HSIPro connection-No it won't because it can't but throughput faster than 10mbps) Just a terrible company all round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MA-Horus posted:

Cogeco is honestly a really bad ISP. As bad as the rest of them (Teksavvy excluded I suppose). When I was working there I'd say anywhere from 1/4-1/2 of the issues I dealt with were company related, not customer related. Slow/Intermittent speeds because the techs didn't wanna do a proper install, hilariously crappy modems, constant outages, blatant lies from sales staff(Oh yes sir, that 5 year old samsung modem will be able to do your HSIPro connection-No it won't because it can't but throughput faster than 10mbps) Just a terrible company all round.

Sadly, when living in Windsor they were the best service you could get.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

kuddles posted:

Also, Bell has been throttling Teksavvy connections for years so melon cat's area may just be lucky.
Paying for MLPPP/Static IP (a few bucks more a month) guarantees no throttling if it really bothers you, too. Or actually doing MLPPP.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
Welp, just made the switch. Did a speed test before the guy showed up and after he left.
Before:

After:

Also, I'm paying $30 less a month and I have 500% the download limit.

Never looking back.

e: Helps if I use the same server.

Vergeh fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 9, 2011

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!
I was able to with a Canadian only netflix account play all the us videos without a separate subscription using usvideo.org. Its just a normal netflix.ca account using paypal to month to month subscribe.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Okay, I'm getting these results:

But a hell of a lot of crap is loading wayyy too slow for me these past few days, like this video, f'rinstance:

http://www.dorkly.com/video/23151/dorkly-bits-smash-bros-fatalities

My OS is on a SSD, so no need to defrag. Other crap seems to be working fine... what am I missing?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Okay, I'm getting these results:

But a hell of a lot of crap is loading wayyy too slow for me these past few days, like this video, f'rinstance:

http://www.dorkly.com/video/23151/dorkly-bits-smash-bros-fatalities

My OS is on a SSD, so no need to defrag. Other crap seems to be working fine... what am I missing?

youtube is being throltted or you've got a bad connection to it. You can try an open dns server.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

MA-Horus posted:

Cogeco rocks:

No wait, it's terrible.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Here in Hamilton I'm pretty much getting what I pay for

It's just a matter of stability :(

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~

Just about as close to advertised as you get. Granted, I work for the ISP, and live in an area (on a node) with an enormous amount of capacity. Be interesting to see what the speedtests look like once 250 is rolled out. (Though the city I'm in is literally last on the list to get upgraded. :() (Well, except for the areas that need a full overhaul)

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Hey has anyone here got any tips or tricks or strategies for actually being able to contact someone at TekSavvy? I've literally been on hold for more than 12 hours over the past 4 days and have still not talked to a person.

Their customer service is embarassing. I set up a new account and they sent the modem to the wrong address. I booked a tech to come in to activate it which required me setting aside 9 hours of my time on the weekend. Of course, I get an email Wednesday saying that they'll instead be sending a tech on Monday when I'm in class.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
Go to their "Direct" forum on the DSLReports forums and make a post there: https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/teksavdirect.

They're experiencing some pretty big growing pains right now, so their phone support is a little hit-or-miss. You'll definitely get the help you need in their Direct forum.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Sprawl posted:

I was able to with a Canadian only netflix account play all the us videos without a separate subscription using usvideo.org. Its just a normal netflix.ca account using paypal to month to month subscribe.
Do you need to make a separate account? I have an SSTP VPN to New York that's basically been doing nothing since I got Telus at Cityplace.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Shumagorath posted:

Do you need to make a separate account? I have an SSTP VPN to New York that's basically been doing nothing since I got Telus at Cityplace.

The usvideo.org stuff says your supposed to make a separate one and some of the other people here seem to talk about doing that so i dunno. It seems to work fine here without a separate one.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Looks like tekksavvys dns servers on the west coast are dead again.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sprawl posted:

Looks like tekksavvys dns servers on the west coast are dead again.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

less than three posted:

Yes i know i had to switch dns servers to get things working again. But i dont normally use google dns servers unless there is an issue because then you get proper local cache servers for things like youtube.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

f google, use the original!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
CRTC tells Rogers to stop slowing down the speed of online games

http://www.theprovince.com/life/CRTC+tells+Rogers+stop+slowing+down+speed+online+games/5413667/story.html

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bonzo posted:

CRTC tells Rogers to stop slowing down the speed of online games

http://www.theprovince.com/life/CRTC+tells+Rogers+stop+slowing+down+speed+online+games/5413667/story.html

Genuinely surprised. Though I guess we'll see what Rogers comes up with and how likely it is to be implemented properly.

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007
I hate you all.

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

Had a Telus door call yesterday (Edmonton), offering $15/month for first 6 months of Optik 15Mb service (assuming Optik because he said fiber), up to $34/month following that.

I think I am going to switch Telus from Shaw though with that, simply due to cost.

I've got Telus home phone ($29/month) and Shaw High Speed ($51/month now), and that's it. I don't want Shaw phone, and I'm not interested in cable whatsoever.

I just want cheap, reasonably quick Internet. Now I just need to decide, contract + bonus, or month to month.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
TV service is required in order to get Optik.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Rand McNally posted:

I hate you all.

I hate you.

Wish they could resell cogeco here. :(

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TrueChaos posted:

I hate you.

Wish they could resell cogeco here. :(

Are you on Cable or DSL?

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I guess i'm glad i dont live in ontario then.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Me too.

Peak hours on a friday. I pay for 25Mbps. $22/mo.

e: vvv Amongst jokers like Bell, Telus and Rogers there is no doubt.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 17, 2011

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

ZShakespeare posted:

Me too.

Peak hours on a friday. I pay for 25Mbps. $22/mo.

Shaw is king.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Stanley Pain posted:

Are you on Cable or DSL?

DSL, and its the best they can do with my line strength. Apparently the signal just really sucks. Cogeco is the only option for cable internet in the area :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can only ever hit about half of the speed i pay for on speed test, this is bullshit!

The fastest real download speeds i've seen was around 11MB/s, the shaw website suggests 250Mb/s is available now, so i'm going to call them tomorrow and get some real speeds.

Stay strong eastern canadian brothers, You'll get through this :(

fez2
Jan 24, 2002

quote:

Rogers is throttling teksavvy

Aqualung posted:

This isn't true.

Yet. Since Bell is getting away with it though, I'd say it's only a matter of time until they start.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I only get my fastest download speeds on torrents and through steam, so I assume that not downloading everything at 25Mb/s has something to do with the remote server or somewhere in the pipe.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Despite being owned by Quebecor, Videotron is pretty decent.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I noticed last week that I now consistently download at about 1.6 MBps on the 10Mbps TekSavvy Cable plan as opposed to the 1.0 MBps I used to get.

:iiam: but I'm not complaining.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I was recently upgraded as well. From 15mbps to 24mbps download. The upload is still the horrible 1mbps. Rogers is slowly rolling out speed upgrades to all the Teksavvy customers.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

8ender posted:

I was recently upgraded as well. From 15mbps to 24mbps download. The upload is still the horrible 1mbps. Rogers is slowly rolling out speed upgrades to all the Teksavvy customers.

I'm getting pretty good speeds at the moment!

Much faster than the 15 mbps that we're paying for... I'm sure my speeds wouldn't be as good right now if both of my roommates were awake, though. Haha.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Everytime I try to watch netflix, it drops down to 0.1 mbp/s and I just ran speedtest and I'm getting 0.15mbp/s. This is with the 15mbp/s teksavvy connection on cable. What's going on?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

8ender posted:

Yeah, I just noticed over the past week or so that my downloads on Teksavvy have been much faster than usual.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Brace posted:

Everytime I try to watch netflix, it drops down to 0.1 mbp/s and I just ran speedtest and I'm getting 0.15mbp/s. This is with the 15mbp/s teksavvy connection on cable. What's going on?

Try using Google's DNS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's times like this where I really enjoy working a campus job :3: