Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

glug posted:

So.. has anyone found any loving clay in this update, or did they gently caress it up again :(

It is pretty much everywhere in swamp biomes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe
Quick, I need a ballin rear end new seed! Offering a reward of: props.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

glug posted:

So.. has anyone found any loving clay in this update, or did they gently caress it up again :(

It's all over the place but it's usually underwater so it takes a little closer looking to find. I've found tons since the update.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
So if I go to areas not previously visited, will it generate the new terrain/biome stuff, or do you need to generate a whole new world?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

The Butcher posted:

So if I go to areas not previously visited, will it generate the new terrain/biome stuff, or do you need to generate a whole new world?

It will generate any unvisited area with the new terrain generator. There will likely be a cliff though

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The Sweetling posted:

Business up top, party underground.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Angry Diplomat posted:

My previous world was kind of boring, so I made one with the seed I don't want to live on this planet anymore in hopes of finding a cool mineshaft or stronghold or something.
Haha, man, this really is one hell of a desolate loving spawn location. I've explored an entire map's worth of it in Creative mode and it's literally a small number of islands, most of them barren and filled only with monsters, in a seemingly endless expanse of blue. You could count the number of trees on the entire map on one hand, and apart from tons of squids I think I saw a chicken and a cow, or maybe two.

There are some really cool underwater ravines and a lot of abandoned mineshafts, but really, you've apparently discovered the loneliest seed.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Any nice texture packs for 1.8 that don't break biome shading? Preferably 32x32 or 16x16. Looks like Painterly won't be updated for a while and default is a bit stink.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

The Sweetling posted:

I've been having a lot of fun on: Land of Bacon , it starts you out by two villages in a nice big plains biome surrounded by interesting stuff, small mountain range right next to the lake one of the villages is in, some quite large mountain ranges nearby.

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe

AttackBacon posted:

I've been having a lot of fun on: Land of Bacon , it starts you out by two villages in a nice big plains biome surrounded by interesting stuff, small mountain range right next to the lake one of the villages is in, some quite large mountain ranges nearby.

Alright this one's pretty cool. But argh it's so difficult settling on a seed they all look unique and amazing.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

The Sweetling posted:

they all look unique and amazing.

Welcome to 1.8.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

My brother's trying to get a server set up for me on his home network. I'm chilling in said home right now. We're having a hell of a time trying to get it to work. I won't go into too much detail, but is there some version of Bukkit we could be using?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

waffle posted:

Have you guys had any problems with changing your skin? It's not letting me change it for some reason since the update.

It's been down a lot the last few days but I was able to change mine about 6 hours ago.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I've spent all my time in swamps, and never thought to look underwater. Guess clay is next, after I build my megafence (sorry about the trees, swamp!)

Please god tell me this wasn't a bug or a fluke.. I swear I just got attacked by a skeleton riding a spider.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

The Sweetling posted:

Arrested Development

You start in the middle of a forest on a large continent with a swamp, desert, and mountains in different directions. There's another continent touching you with an incredible natural cove in it. The oceans are clean and not speckled with tiny islands every 20 meters. There is a village in the eastern desert.

A preview:

Spawn is in the northern forest.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 17, 2011

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
The seed "bobodenkirk" gives you two villages, one on top of a ravine, rather close to spawn.

Now, if you want a challenge, "LOVE IS OVER" puts you on an island, with a pumpkin. If you want wood, you're going to have to swim for it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

The Sweetling posted:

they all look unique and amazing.

They do all look amazing but I don't see how you can say they're unique when it's either the same crazy mountain formations or a huge ocean with island chains

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

glug posted:

Please god tell me this wasn't a bug or a fluke.. I swear I just got attacked by a skeleton riding a spider.
Spider jockeys have been in the game for quite some time now, yeah. They are fairly rare though.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

glug posted:

Yeah those have been in there for a while. Since Alpha 1.something

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Angry Diplomat posted:

Every single second of this game has been a bitter, bloody, screaming, tooth-and-nail scrabble for survival and holy loving poo poo is it fun. Why did I ever play any other way :stare:
If you chopped some trees hopefully you got some saplings out of it, shouldn't be hard to get the three sticks for a fishing rod, and with a spider spawner behind you, you should be set on string for a while.

It seems like fishing was useless for a long time, and now that it's finally useful, no one even remembers it exists.

nippon nifties posted:

They do all look amazing but I don't see how you can say they're unique when it's either the same crazy mountain formations or a huge ocean with island chains
All the biomes are great, and map generation has become so much better (though I still think some tweaking of continent size could go a long way).
The real problem, I think, is that biomes are now all pretty much the exact same size.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Javid posted:

Is there any way to use the more memory trick with the profile manager?

Edit the .bat and modify the Minecraft.exe line to the memory command line.

waffle posted:

Have you guys had any problems with changing your skin? It's not letting me change it for some reason since the update.

Yeah, I've seen a bunch of people saying this.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 17, 2011

My Mother The Car
Feb 15, 2001
When does the hurting stop?

waffle posted:

Found this fix:

quote:

You can change your skin remotely. First, sign into Minecraft.net. Then upload your skin onto a image hosting site, like imgur or tinypic, etc. and then copy the direct url.

Insert the direct url to your skin after the = in this address:

http://www.minecraft.net/skin/remote.jsp?url=

(For example:

http://www.minecraft.net/skin/remote.jsp?url=http://imgur.com/blahblah.png

is about what it should look like.)

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."
Don't know if anyone has mentioned it. Try the seed: shipwreck

http://i.imgur.com/NFAwi.jpg

EDIT: This seed seems like the "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" except you get a tree on the island you start on. Another render:

http://i.imgur.com/qk7QT.jpg

Reb fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 17, 2011

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I've just spent the last hour or so updating a Painterly texture pack to work with 1.8 - and let me tell you it was no picnic.

I haven't done all the mobs yet - cave spiders and silverfish are their default textures - and there's some other default stuff still hanging around in there. But the blocks and so forth are all done. Some of 'em I had to draw myself, so they might not be the greatest.

If it's OK with kas, I'll post it here, although since it's specifically my preferences you might want to do your own image editing when you get it :shobon:

waramp
Aug 20, 2004

HALO
TWENTY SIX

Angry Diplomat posted:

My previous world was kind of boring, so I made one with the seed I don't want to live on this planet anymore in hopes of finding a cool mineshaft or stronghold or something.

The game put me on a tiny desolate island in the middle of loving nowhere. There were no trees and no animals. I could barely see a couple of islands on the horizon; there was one stunted little tree on each. When I dug a hole to make a little cavehouse, I discovered that I was living directly on top of a rather alarming cave network. When I swam to one of the other islands to chop down a tree and gather up some saplings for sustainable wood production, I discovered there was a spider spawner there. I spent two days straight at half a heart because I had no food whatsoever, ultimately managing to barely survive by murdering zombies and cannibalizing them with ghoulish, ravenous fervor. I'm afraid to waste my stone picks because I don't have any wood to make more, I have to recover and relocate my torches to explore, and whoops now I'm starving again because I encountered a skeleton and I dare not challenge him to gain access to the delicious zombie flesh that surely lies beyond, oh well I guess I'll toil on my little island, barely clinging to life, viciously guarding my four tiny patches of seeded ground and watching my fishing lure sit lifelessly on the surface of the damnable, uncaring ocean. I still have not found a single mushroom or animal - just monsters and starvation as far as the eye can see.

Every single second of this game has been a bitter, bloody, screaming, tooth-and-nail scrabble for survival and holy loving poo poo is it fun. Why did I ever play any other way :stare:

Absolutely in love with this seed. Been playing it for about 2 hours now. I have a 5-piece plot of wheat, and about 8 sugarcanes growing. I was lucky with saplings as well and now I have an island full of trees and several stacks of wood. I've been using all the bone meal I can get my hands on to grow the trees and wheat faster. There's like NO loving FISH around this island. I've only caught 1 so far. I farmed the spider spawner enough to make a comfy bed for myself at least.
I was able to get some cocoa beans and bread and buckets in the chests in the spider dungeon, so perhaps I can make some cookies if I ever find a cow. Next sunrise, I'm going to venture into that cave system and look for some heartier loot. Wish me luck!

edit: And right after I post this I caught 6 fish! Feast!

waramp fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 17, 2011

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I used the wiki to find the program to tell me where the slimes are. I dug out that area, 6 tiles from bottom, and killed three slimes while digging it out. I haven't seen any more slimes, ever. I run up and down this huge hallway with candles everywhere and no slimes. this slime farm is the worst. do I stand in the corner and wait for the wet slapping sound? should I constantly go away and come back?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Krinkle posted:

I used the wiki to find the program to tell me where the slimes are. I dug out that area, 6 tiles from bottom, and killed three slimes while digging it out. I haven't seen any more slimes, ever. I run up and down this huge hallway with candles everywhere and no slimes. this slime farm is the worst. do I stand in the corner and wait for the wet slapping sound? should I constantly go away and come back?

Are the slime chunks the same in 1.8? Do those programs still work?

In any case, remember that mobs - includling slimes - won't spawn if you're closer than 24 tiles or further than a certain distance I can't remember? Also, make sure you've lit up all nearby cave systems, or the spawns will all more probably take place there. There's only a certain rate of overall spawn.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
My new favourite thing: sprinting and jump-striking animals. Now too I can be Croudu Straifu.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Are the slime chunks the same in 1.8? Do those programs still work?

I just built a slime farm using the slime-finder f3 mod, and now have like 100 slime balls after a couple trips, so they definitely work

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Fuego Fish posted:

I've just spent the last hour or so updating a Painterly texture pack to work with 1.8 - and let me tell you it was no picnic.

I haven't done all the mobs yet - cave spiders and silverfish are their default textures - and there's some other default stuff still hanging around in there. But the blocks and so forth are all done. Some of 'em I had to draw myself, so they might not be the greatest.

If it's OK with kas, I'll post it here, although since it's specifically my preferences you might want to do your own image editing when you get it :shobon:

Well seeing as the official painterly update will be out in about an hour, uh, knock yourself out in the meantime. :P

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

kas posted:

Well seeing as the official painterly update will be out in about an hour, uh, knock yourself out in the meantime. :P

Well, gently caress. :v:

Lookin' forward to seeing what you've got, in that case. Considering that quite a bit of the new stuff is things you've already made - like the melons and iron bars, for instance - you've probably had a fun time with it.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Behold, the most terrifying thing I have ever seen in Minecraft:

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

There's a lot of texture pack chat in this thread, and a pack isn't really a mod, so I hope this is OK to post here. If not, my apologies and just let me know and I'll do them in the other thread from now on.

:wooper: PAINTERLY PACK UPDATE :wooper:

PREVIEW: (Missing cave spider graphic, but it's there, honest)

Here's what to look forward to for this update:

- added 'remove' pumpkin blur and made all 11 pumpkin blurs selectable
- added 5 melon options - classic, watermelon, leafy watermelon, pumpkin and honeydew
- added 11 melon slice options for the various melon types
- added 8 cracked stone textures
- added sidewalk cement half brick texture
- added 15 window pane side textures (selected automatically through window choice)
- added 13 ivy textures in normal, green and dead
- added 3 vine textures in normal, green and dead
- added 7 iron bars textures
- added 9 seeds textures including pumpkin, melon, honeydew, as well as medallion replacements for graves, gargoyles, etc.
- added 3 enderman pearl options - normal, sparkling, slams and jams
- added 5 rotting flesh options - arms, guts and brains
- added 2 new light cooked pork options for haunches and chops
- added 5 steak options - ribeye, t-bone, haunch, burger, bulgogi
- added 4 chicken options - drumstick, whole chicken, bucket, and CFC (Creeper Fried Chicken)
- added 12 exp orb options - normal, metroid, coin, ring, bolt, diamond, text, square, square, star, sparkles, zenny and rupees
- added 7 mushroom skin options for all mushroom styles
- added 6 mushroom underside options - gills and spots in brown, beige and ecru
- added 2 mushroom stem options - horizontal and vertical stretching
- added 4 drawn bow styles - normal and energy arrows in normal and fantasy bows
- added 3 endermen styles - normal, cosmic and SCP-173
- added 3 silverfish styles - dark stone, light stone and maggot
- added a cave spider texture
- added 9 exp bar options, classic, shadow, wood, stone and metal in normal and rainbow bars
- added 3 hunger bars - meat, chicken, and cheeseburger (cheeseburger created by T Hartman!)
- added 3 lightmaps - classic, clean light, and blood moon
- added creative mode gui interface
- ensnouted all pigs
- various new gui options
- wildgrass mod has once again been temporarily disabled.

NOTE: Custom chests are coming next update. So for now enjoy your uglychests.

You know where to get it. You should do a hard refresh your first time on customizer to make sure it's current.
Enjoy!

kas fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 17, 2011

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

kas posted:

Stuff

Awesome, I was just getting sick of default :)

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

waramp posted:

Absolutely in love with this seed. Been playing it for about 2 hours now. I have a 5-piece plot of wheat, and about 8 sugarcanes growing. I was lucky with saplings as well and now I have an island full of trees and several stacks of wood. I've been using all the bone meal I can get my hands on to grow the trees and wheat faster. There's like NO loving FISH around this island. I've only caught 1 so far. I farmed the spider spawner enough to make a comfy bed for myself at least.
I was able to get some cocoa beans and bread and buckets in the chests in the spider dungeon, so perhaps I can make some cookies if I ever find a cow. Next sunrise, I'm going to venture into that cave system and look for some heartier loot. Wish me luck!

edit: And right after I post this I caught 6 fish! Feast!

I've been playing on this seed as well, found a huge underground ravine and an abandoned mine nearby with 5 diamonds. Haven't explored much of the mine, gonna go back with some signs to mark my way and go to town.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

kas posted:

NOTE: Custom chests are coming next update. So for now enjoy your uglychests.

Or use these slightly-less-uglychests!

They are chest.png and largechest.png in the item folder.

Haha, my time wasted was not so wasted after all!

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Fuego Fish posted:

Or use these slightly-less-uglychests!

They are chest.png and largechest.png in the item folder.

Haha, my time wasted was not so wasted after all!

Sure, I'll use em for now. Since the new stuff doesn't work at all with the old, I was going to redo new chests from scratch but this works in the meantime. Thank you! I'll update it now.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

kas posted:

some awesome stuff.

Kas, thanks so much for all the work you put into this, it makes Minecraft so much more special for my friends and I. After Notch and Co. we regard you as the best thing to happen to indy games. Keep on trucking!

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Howmuch posted:

Texture pack is Summerfield 32x32

So I compared this with Jolicraft and the majority of their textures are Jolicraft, resized to 32x32 and drawn over. :argh:

They completely ripped off the cow too, I'm sure there's more but I didn't want to go through every single file and compare. I'll bet they're ripping off other texture packs too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Hey me and a buddy are trying to set-up a server, but we can't for the life of us get what we're doing wrong. I enabled port 25565 on the firewall, put the port on the port forwarding list and a virtual server on the virtual server list on the router config, but still the external port won't open. How do i networking? :downs: