Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Manky posted:

I'm not sure what you mean. The problem is that when you make an app fullscreen, it dominates the primary monitor and there's nothing you can do to make use of the second monitor. You can't drag windows onto it, you can't make a second app fullscreen in that space, it's honestly such a half-assed implementation. How does removing an application's dock icon work around that? That would be so fantastic.

I don't have a second monitor to test myself, but I'd assume that preventing the app from being part of the Dock means that when it's fullscreened, it isn't affecting Mission Control in the same way? It was recommended to me by a friend, so perhaps give it a try.

Here we go:

quote:

By editing the application's info.plist and making LSUIElement true the application loses it's dock icon and doesn't show up in alt+tab menu anymore. You can however then open the application and use it while in full-screen with another app.

Or you can do this funky business:
http://geetduggal.wordpress.com/2011/08/04/reclaiming-your-second-monitor-in-os-x-lion/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I've been having an intermittent problem with my wireless set up. Once in a while, one of the devices that I connect with will suddenly not be able to find the network (usually it is my MBA or my iPhone, but I've had all my devices run into this at one time or another). I can connect to the network manually, but it will refuse to recognize the Password to connect, insisting that whatever I type in is incorrect.

The AEBS is last year's model with the latest firmware, it connects 2 iMacs (one running snow leopard, one Lion), a MBA, a Mini, a Mac Pro, an Xbox 360, PS3, iPhone and occasionally an iPad and Kindle.

he;lp

Edit: I have a second AEBS running in the house as a bridge, it is also last years model with the latest firmware.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

KingEup posted:

I bought a bluetooth receiver so I can stream music to my speakers from my iMac. It works perfectly with everything except skype (I don't have the options in prefs to change the output device).

Why is that?
I see options to change my output settings in Skype Preferences > Audio/Video.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Our Open Directory Master has seemingly hosed up, and is no longer issuing Kerberos tickets correctly. This has resulted in lots of people getting angry at me when Entourage no longer authenticates properly. I went into the Kerberos Admin log, and saw that this is repeating every ten seconds....

A few days ago our primary AD domain controller died, so we promoted a different DC to primary. I re-bound both our OD master and replica to AD etc, but I suspect that this change of DC has caused this somehow.

On our OD Master, the Kerberos page of the Open Directory settings has the error 'ERROR PasswordService - NotFound' and, when I try to re-kerberize, it won't accept my credentials.

I've googled it, but can't find much in the way of answers as to how to fix this. I'll be completely honest - I wasn't involved in setting these servers up, but have inherited the responsibility of looking after it. My employer is too tight to pay for training, so I'm effectively blagging it at the moment. So far I've managed to cope with it fine, but this is a bit of a problem.

FWIW, both OD Master and Replica are running OS X Server 10.6.8.

Any OD wizards fancy helping me out??

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

unruly posted:

I haven't had any issues with Homebrew. I even upgraded to Lion and my homebrew'd apps kept working.

I don't get the Homebrew hate. I love it, especially since I don't have to compile all of the core utilities just to get PAR installed.

:colbert:

It isn't really hate, it is more of bitching about how bad decisions were made during development.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Anyone had a problem with 1Password for iPhone not syncing with dropbox\mac desktop version? I get an error that says it can't find the file but I look in my dropbox folder and its definitely in there. AgileBits forum has people with the same issue but no fix

edit: Fixed it

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 15, 2011

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Neurophonic posted:

Here we go:

quote:

By editing the application's info.plist and making LSUIElement true the application loses it's dock icon and doesn't show up in alt+tab menu anymore. You can however then open the application and use it while in full-screen with another app.
Whoa whoa hold up. This sounds like exactly what I've been after to stop Wuala showing up in my Dock all the time. I can't wait to try this out.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Neurophonic posted:

I don't have a second monitor to test myself, but I'd assume that preventing the app from being part of the Dock means that when it's fullscreened, it isn't affecting Mission Control in the same way? It was recommended to me by a friend, so perhaps give it a try.

Here we go:

Or you can do this funky business:
http://geetduggal.wordpress.com/2011/08/04/reclaiming-your-second-monitor-in-os-x-lion/

Haha, I love that second workaround. Thanks for the knowledge bomb! Learn something new every day.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have not got a clue how to make SSHFS work in Lion.

I'm on 10.7.1 and I've got this version of fuse: http://osxfuse.github.com/ and a version of SSHFS that I can't find out what it is - the 'about' bit is greyed out in the menu...

Does anyone know how I can get sshfs which will work?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone have any idea what this could be? It's popping up repeatedly in my dmesg output.

pre:
Can't load kext com.apple.filesystems.smbfs - link failed.
Failed to load executable for kext com.apple.filesystems.smbfs.
Kext com.apple.filesystems.smbfs failed to load (0xdc008016).
Failed to load kext com.apple.filesystems.smbfs (error 0xdc008016).
kxld[com.apple.filesystems.smbfs]: The Mach-O file is malformed: Invalid magic number: 0x7201c040.
Something corrupted maybe? This is on campus and I don't really use any windows file shares so I don't know if this actually broke SMB filesharing or not. Curious whether anyone's seen anything like it before though.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Martytoof posted:

Anyone have any idea what this could be? It's popping up repeatedly in my dmesg output.

pre:
Can't load kext com.apple.filesystems.smbfs - link failed.
Failed to load executable for kext com.apple.filesystems.smbfs.
Kext com.apple.filesystems.smbfs failed to load (0xdc008016).
Failed to load kext com.apple.filesystems.smbfs (error 0xdc008016).
kxld[com.apple.filesystems.smbfs]: The Mach-O file is malformed: Invalid magic number: 0x7201c040.
Something corrupted maybe? This is on campus and I don't really use any windows file shares so I don't know if this actually broke SMB filesharing or not. Curious whether anyone's seen anything like it before though.
I am connected constantly to windows shares on Lion, and I haven't yet seen that come up in the console. Perhaps something is corrupt.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there any way to find out what kext corresponds to com.apple.filesystems.smbfs? I'm looking but I'm not googling anything good.

gregday
May 23, 2003

There is a /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh pff I am blind, thanks.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Anjow posted:

Does anyone know how I can get sshfs which will work?
There's a nice blog post about this.

Edit: gently caress, I'm retarded and can't read posts. But Homebrew and Macports both have sshfs working with Fuse4x though. So pick your poison.

vkeios fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 15, 2011

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

japtor posted:

Not sure about the entitlements but I'm thinking that's for people that subscribed to some extended support/upgrade thing way back.

I have that in my portal too. I've paid for no extended support, but I have paid for upgrades since V.1.

However, I also received an email today that makes me wonder if there will even be a discounted upgrade price beyond the $49.99.

An email I got posted:

The promotional price of $49.99 is available to both existing and new customers.

So we shall see what happens next week.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah I'm just assuming the promo pricing is essentially upgrade pricing as well, remember that you can knock off another $10 with the FUSION20 (20% off) code too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just bit the bullet on Fusion over Parallels. I like that the VMs I make will be compatible with ESX server as well as Workstation on Windows/Linux. That's worth the premium to me. If I didn't have different platforms to worry about I'd probably just ditch for Parallels though.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Just bit the bullet on Fusion over Parallels. I like that the VMs I make will be compatible with ESX server as well as Workstation on Windows/Linux. That's worth the premium to me. If I didn't have different platforms to worry about I'd probably just ditch for Parallels though.

Why do you say premium? isn't Parallels more expensive than fusion? (Parallels upgrade: £35, Fusion (including 10% off): £25)

EDIT: I see VMWare -> Parallels is £20.

Heisenberg1276 fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Sep 16, 2011

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone know of a decent workaround/fix for Lion stuffing my MBP's SSD with about 30gigs of swap files when I suspend by closing the lid?

I was trying to figure out where all my free space went (only a 128GB SSD in it) and I found it via daisydisk. Doing a reboot clears it out, but drat that's annoying.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Try setting your hibernate mode to 0.

http://www.macworld.com/article/53471/2006/10/sleepmode.html

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I will try that out, thanks!

It's strange how large the amount of space taken up gets. I have 4GB of ram but it does about 30+ GB of space on disk. I think it is from multiple sleeps, which is weird it keeps the old RAM contents. Or I guess I just have that much stuff open the swap file is that huge?

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!

japtor posted:

Yeah I'm just assuming the promo pricing is essentially upgrade pricing as well, remember that you can knock off another $10 with the FUSION20 (20% off) code too.

Is this a code for 20% off of Fusion? The VMWare store didn't seem to recognize it.

Edit: Nevermind, I just figured it out. I had originally added Fusion to my cart via a promotion email they sent me. That item shows up as "VMware Fusion 4, (for Mac OS X) ESD promotion" as opposed to "VMware Fusion 4, (for Mac OS X) ESD". Once I removed it and added the regular Fusion to my cart the code worked. Thanks!

Auriak fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 16, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Auriak posted:

Is this a code for 20% off of Fusion? The VMWare store didn't seem to recognize it.
It was an old coupon that still worked when 4 launched a few days ago. They must have killed it.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.
I just got a free licence for Sparrow Mail but I've already paid for it. First person to reply with "I LOVE DICKS" gets a copy!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I LOVE DICKS

AND PUSSY

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

Mu Zeta posted:

I LOVE DICKS

AND PUSSY

Well that's kind of cheating but whatever. Sent you a PM!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Thanks, I am now using Sparrow!

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.
Takes a bit of getting used to coming from Apple Mail but holy crap it works better with Gmail labels etc. The gestures are super nice too.

(no I don't work for them or anything)

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Softcox posted:

Takes a bit of getting used to coming from Apple Mail but holy crap it works better with Gmail labels etc. The gestures are super nice too.

(no I don't work for them or anything)

For some reason I haven't figured out, occasionally Apple Mail will open and tell me I've got mail (duplicating the unread count from Sparrow in the dock). Is there something I need to do to tell Apple Mail to gently caress off? It doesn't happen often, so I almost wonder if I'm accidentally doing something to launch it...

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Is there an alternative to synergy? I don't need something as slick but even just a keypress toggle to switch between sending kb/mouse to one device and another over wireless.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
How do you use a PC external hard drive on a Mac? I know the other way around, I have Macdrive. When I plug in the hard drive, OSX doesn't do anything. I need to copy an iTunes library. Also the hard disk isn't on the desktop. The person who owns the computer is out of the country and I don't know who to ask.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

b0nes posted:

How do you use a PC external hard drive on a Mac? I know the other way around, I have Macdrive. When I plug in the hard drive, OSX doesn't do anything. I need to copy an iTunes library. Also the hard disk isn't on the desktop. The person who owns the computer is out of the country and I don't know who to ask.

is the hard drive not showing up at all or can you just not write to it? if the latter, it's probably formatted as NTFS, so you have a couple options.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

low-key-taco posted:

Is there an alternative to synergy? I don't need something as slick but even just a keypress toggle to switch between sending kb/mouse to one device and another over wireless.

Are they both Apple computers? Give Teleport a try.

edit: Although scratch that, it looks like he's still testing a Lion compatible version internally. Sorry.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Not sure if I should cross-post this to CC but I just upgraded to lion and now my Macbook won't recognize my Canon T1i. It doesn't look like Canon has new drivers out yet so am I completely poo poo out of luck?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What are you trying to do, specifically? Just read photos off your card? I think the drivers for that should be pretty standard whether you've got the camera set to appear as a USB storage device or.. uh.. the other one.. Dang, I forgot the actual term for the other mode.

If you can set your camera to appear as a USB storage device then you should be good to go at any rate, in case I'm wrong about the second thing. I imported a card full of photos from my D200 earlier this week with zero drivers installed.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

brc64 posted:

For some reason I haven't figured out, occasionally Apple Mail will open and tell me I've got mail (duplicating the unread count from Sparrow in the dock). Is there something I need to do to tell Apple Mail to gently caress off? It doesn't happen often, so I almost wonder if I'm accidentally doing something to launch it...

That's very odd. Does it just open in the main window, or composing a message?

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Martytoof posted:

What are you trying to do, specifically? Just read photos off your card? I think the drivers for that should be pretty standard whether you've got the camera set to appear as a USB storage device or.. uh.. the other one.. Dang, I forgot the actual term for the other mode.

If you can set your camera to appear as a USB storage device then you should be good to go at any rate, in case I'm wrong about the second thing. I imported a card full of photos from my D200 earlier this week with zero drivers installed.

It doesn't have that mode AFAIK. I used to use the EOS utility but that doesn't work inside Lion. I normally import them into iPhoto after that. I mean, my Macbook doesn't even recognize that a camera is connected but the camera does.

Return Of JimmyJars fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 17, 2011

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

computer parts posted:

is the hard drive not showing up at all or can you just not write to it? if the latter, it's probably formatted as NTFS, so you have a couple options.

It isn't showing up at all. Nothing happens when I plug it in. The drive is formatted in FAT32 I believe, it came from a WinXp system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's strange. Maybe it needs 2 usb ports to power it up? FAT32 shows up fine on my Macs.