Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Mucktron posted:

As a former New Mexican native, I'm totally gonna 'sperg out here and say that Santa Fe is in the rocky mountains at an altitude higher than Denver. It does get very cold in the winter time with plenty of temperatures bellow freezing in the fall/winter seasons.

Oh, and it gets dry too. Hope you don't have any eczema!
I knew that, I have family in Santa Fe. My joke wasn't really thought out that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

"But I've been twelve for a very long time"
Okay. I am just very use to everyone seeing the word 'Mexico' and assuming the state is just one big ole desert where it never gets below 70.

So yeah um.....how about them rape scenes?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Not many photoshops in this photoshop thread.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Unkempt posted:

Why does this thread have a photoshop tag? :iiam:

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Just finished the First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie based on a recommendation from this thread, and I really enjoyed it. GRRM is certainly an influence, but the style is a bit different, and certainly more fun to read.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

computer parts posted:

This, but he's also going to stab Catelyn in the heart with Oathkeeper (and thereby have Valyrian Steel wake from her "stone" heart).

This is actually better than the lame erection joke. The Valyrian- (dragon-) steel is activated by drawing the fire magic out of Catelyn that animated her.

The Valyrian steel came from a sword called Ice. A sword that was reforged red. Absorbing fire that came, originally, from a Red Priest.

A Song of Ice and Fire.

:aaa:

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Ambiguatron posted:

This is actually better than the lame erection joke. The Valyrian- (dragon-) steel is activated by drawing the fire magic out of Catelyn that animated her.

The Valyrian steel came from a sword called Ice. A sword that was reforged red. Absorbing fire that came, originally, from a Red Priest.

A Song of Ice and Fire.

:aaa:
Then Jaime will run into a red priest that will regrow his hand so he can properly kill Others. The 7th book will just be Jaime killing Others while Tyrion offers advice and quips from atop a dragon.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Quantify! posted:

Then Jaime will run into a red priest that will regrow his hand so he can properly kill Others. The 7th book will just be Jaime killing Others while Tyrion offers advice and quips from atop a dragon.

Will this be before or after the series is expanded to 12 books and finished by Joe Abercrombie?

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Unkempt posted:

I would put this in the OP, but it's too close to the spoiler warning. Thanks for making this though, I've been waiting since the Ned Stark one.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There's no crown on that Grey Wind head. Just thought I'd point that out.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hey guys I just finished A Dance with Dragons.

gently caress the fat man.

gently caress him in his folds.

just about 1000 more pages and gently caress it we're barely any closer to a resolution or any answers to platters of the questions we have.

loving GRRM.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Ross posted:

Will this be before or after the series is expanded to 12 books and finished by Joe Abercrombie?
Well, you said it!

"On September 17, George R. R. Martin officially announced the eighth book in his epic fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire. The series was meant to end with the seventh book, but Martin stated that "the threads are so loose that at least one additional book is required"."

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Regarding Zombie Cat:
Once Bran gets plugged into the whole past/present timeline as seen through the trees; what about the possibility that Zombie Cat will be sensitive to Bran's influence through those various networks? The crows, the weirwoods, whatever else Bran can access through that huge time and space spanning network if he learns to master it?

I am fully aware that the implications of his development is entirely beyond me, because I am dense and miss a lot of what you might consider obvious stuff.

Does anyone think that Bran's new abilities might intervene in the actions of characters such as these "new" undead? Might they be more attuned to his influence? Cat loved Bran so very much. Is it possible that she'll tune into a new perspective, maybe learn things as Bran does during his training?

I am so loving confused.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

There should have been more Bran and Arya chapters and less Jon/Dany chapters. Their stories are just so much more compelling right now. Jon's only interesting chapter was his last one and Dany only had her last 2 that were good.

:argh:

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
You've gotta be kidding me.

He hasn't even started working on the 6th book yet.... gently caress me...

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Maarak posted:

Just finished the First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie based on a recommendation from this thread, and I really enjoyed it. GRRM is certainly an influence, but the style is a bit different, and certainly more fun to read.

I agree completely. Abercrombie's books were more enjoyable to me because rather than simply killing off characters for shock value, he messes with other tropes and expectations of the fantasy genre. Stuff like the noble quest for the holy object, the Gandalf/Merlin helpful wizard archetype, and of course the well-worn trope of the noble/king that marries a peasant for love. He sets you up expecting a lot of those, but then the rug is gradually pulled from under you. 'The Heroes' was probably my favorite single fantasy book.

On the other hand when it comes to GRRM-related recommendations, I tried getting through the first Malazan book and was bored senseless. None of the characters or plot were remotely interesting and I couldn't get past 33% or so before quitting.

What are the odds that GRRM actually finishes this series before croaking from a KFC double down induced heart attack?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

The Rat posted:

What are the odds that GRRM actually finishes this series before croaking from a KFC double down induced heart attack?
Slim to none.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Quantify! posted:

You've gotta be kidding me.

He hasn't even started working on the 6th book yet.... gently caress me...

:ssh: Click the link.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A little bit of me wishes is was true just so we could have 'A Time For Wolves' back.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

MikeJF posted:

A little bit of me wishes is was true just so we could have 'A Time For Wolves' back.
That would be a badass name for the last book. But I have to admit that when I found the Wikipedia page for A Plague of Pythons while randomly browsing the Internet, the mental image it gave me was Westeros meets Snakes on a Plane.

Lord Bronn has had enough of these motherfucking snakes on this motherfucking continent!

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Rurik posted:

That would be a badass name for the last book.

That was the original title for the last book before he changed it. Too spoilery I guess. I was hoping it meant literal wolves, as in everyone is dead and the continent is roamed by packs of wolves eating the flesh of the dead.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
A Time for Secret Targs

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
A Secret of Targs

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

eggsovereasy posted:

There should have been more Bran and Arya chapters and less Jon/Dany chapters. Their stories are just so much more compelling right now. Jon's only interesting chapter was his last one and Dany only had her last 2 that were good.

:argh:

Swear to loving god Jon just farted around the entire loving book and then finally when poo poo is about to happen GRRM pulls out a cliffhanger saying "oh you don't like Brienne or Davos or Arya cliffhangers? SEE YOU IN FIVE YEARS BITCH."

Also I'm sure as gently caress not sifting through 6000 ADWD posts, but what is the consensus on the Wylla reference? Another thread GRRM is just going to leave hanging because everyone figured out R+L=J?

And the entire first half of Tyrion's journey West felt loving pointless and an excuse to establish Aegon so GRRM didn't just drop him in halfway and go "oh yeah btw legit Secret Targ here."

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

A Twitter to Targs #GoJets

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop

mind the walrus posted:

Swear to loving god Jon just farted around the entire loving book and then finally when poo poo is about to happen GRRM pulls out a cliffhanger saying "oh you don't like Brienne or Davos or Arya cliffhangers? SEE YOU IN FIVE YEARS BITCH."

Why do people say this about Jon's chapters? He did tons of poo poo. It was the only interesting plotline out of the three main ones (him, Tyrion and Dany).

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

Why do people say this about Jon's chapters? He did tons of poo poo. It was the only interesting plotline out of the three main ones (him, Tyrion and Dany).

Honestly, is that really saying much?

My reading update: Forced myself to get through another Dany chapter. Yay, premarital sex with Darrio. Oh but the sexah mustachios and gold tooth. Mhhhh uhngh. Makes me all aquiver. Really kept up the excitement that was built by Tyrion kissing Penny. Good stuff, let me tell you.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 18, 2011

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
If the other plotlines had accomplished as much, the book would be much better received. Jon basically made the first effort in a thousand years to reverse the neglect of the wall, settled the wildings, and made a serious effort to remind the Night's Watch that it exists to guard the realms of men rather than play a cat and mouse game with a bunch of people up north for no particular reason. He also grew significantly as a character and as a leader, and the interesting twists were all related to him in some way.

Meanwhile, Dany wanted to blow some dude and Tyrion wiped a fat man's rear end.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I agree, but his constant dealings with Stannis and Selsye got so loving old so loving quickly.

True, compared to the big wad of "blech" that were the Dany and Tyrion plotlines in this one--especially Tyrion, good god I've never cared less about anything than I did Penny and yes I get that's partially the point--Jon's plotline was better.

Still felt like the three mostly farted around the entire goddamn book. I liked what Jon was doing, but felt like GRRM really could have and should have resolved his plotline in ADWD given how much time was wasted with Barristan musing on poison locusts or Dany wanting to gently caress Daario.

Also Cersei's punishment was pretty :krad:, I have to admit. I got the impression with the epilogue that we're supposed to feel kind-of bad in a "A Clockwork Orange" kind-of way, but honestly Cersei earned far worse than what she got and if the lesson was even half-learned it was worth it.

Can we please get some vague explanation for the magic in this series? Finally have someone visit Asshai or Valyria and dump some exposition on how people keep coming back and what the deal with R'hllor is and maybe even some poo poo about the Green Men and the Seasons? Seriously, one corpse brought back under auspicious circumstances is fine but we've seen like 3-4 by now in different ways from different sources, so it can't just be one of those "mysteries we never answer" pieces of crap GRRM seems to be banking on for the end of this series.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Martin's rule:

If you see a gun on the mantle in the prologue of the first book, it might get fired in the sixth book.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Ambiguatron posted:

He also grew significantly as a character and as a leader

By "grew" you must mean that in one book he was a whiney kid and in the very next chapter he is a wizened old salt. Rather like how Dany went from clueless rape victim to DANEARYS: MOTHER OF DRAGONS in the blink of an eye.

Sansa grew, Tyrion grew, Arya grew. Dany and Jon were magically transformed into superheros almost instantaneously. The vast difference between Jon of ASoS and ADwD is bordering on insulting.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Quantify! posted:

Martin's rule:

If you see a gun on the mantle in the prologue of the first book, it might get fired in the sixth book.

Do not bring a gun to a knife fight

Edit: Oh snap, an updated my brute

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 18, 2011

Scrubber
Feb 23, 2001
I'm just arguing for leniency; all she did was kill her friend.
Does Jon Snow's burned hand that he is constantly flexing contradict the idea that he is a secret Targ?

He doesn't have fire resistance or even fast healing from burns.

Or does only the mother of dragons get fire resistance? It seems like you kind of need it to ride dragons.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.

Scrubber posted:

Does Jon Snow's burned hand that he is constantly flexing contradict the idea that he is a secret Targ?

He doesn't have fire resistance or even fast healing from burns.

Or does only the mother of dragons get fire resistance? It seems like you kind of need it to ride dragons.

Targs don't neccessarily have fired resistance, just look at Summerhall. Martin said something like Dany was an exception to the rule, because it wasnt a normal fire she was in, but magic fire in a dragonbirth or something. Him burning his hand doesn't mean anything. He is half Stark, maybe they have a weakness for fire?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

KillRoy posted:

Targs don't neccessarily have fired resistance, just look at Summerhall. Martin said something like Dany was an exception to the rule, because it wasnt a normal fire she was in, but magic fire in a dragonbirth or something. Him burning his hand doesn't mean anything. He is half Stark, maybe they have a weakness for fire?

She also didn't get burned by Drogon's fire, but yeah, I think Targs aren't resistant to fire unless it's dragonmagic fire.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience
I don't think Jon magically turned into a good leader or a "superhero." From when he decides to execute Slynt personally onwards he's just imitating Ned. He's just like Robb.

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski

Rosscifer posted:

I don't think Jon magically turned into a good leader or a "superhero." From when he decides to execute Slynt personally onwards he's just imitating Ned. He's just like Robb.

So, why does Ramsay suck so much? Seriously, he was basically just Beast Rabban, but eviler, because he is always raping and killing women and skinning people ohmman he's sooo super evil.

Rabban was just a classier 'bad' heir character.

Did I just sperg out like a retard?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

HarveyVdarski posted:

So, why does Ramsay suck so much? Seriously, he was basically just Beast Rabban, but eviler, because he is always raping and killing women and skinning people ohmman he's sooo super evil.

I always thought that Ramsay was supposed to be a sort-of-not-really metaphor for how bad things are getting in the Kingdoms. In the first couple of stories, he's doing poo poo, but he quickly gets punished. As things get worse, he manages to wriggle out of his punishment and do even poo poo things. When things hit rock-bottom, he goes completely out of control, but still has his actions condoned by the throne and he even becomes a full Bolton.

And then in Dance when things plunge right through the rock-bottom into the subterranean basement full of poo poo, he becomes heir to Winterfell, gets way more screentime than anyone would ever ask for, and becomes a villain at the forefront of the story.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Ramsay is a little over hyped. All he's really done is nearly destroy Theon, the literal runt of the Greyjoy litter. And he failed at that.

Theon owns just for still being alive, and I loved his arc in Dragons, but Ramsay has done nothing outside of torture a few people in the North.

Imagine what an actual player in the game would do when they came across him. Jaime, Dany, Cersei, Tyrion, Jon [not dead, for the complete idiots thinking he possibly would be], et all. Bronn would literally slit his throat for a nickel. Ramsay is nothing in the big scope of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Supreme Allah posted:

Imagine what an actual player in the game would do when they came across him. Jaime, Dany, Cersei, Tyrion, Jon [not dead, for the complete idiots thinking he possibly would be], et all. Bronn would literally slit his throat for a nickel. Ramsay is nothing in the big scope of things.

Of course. Ramsay is a symptom. He's never been presented as a real player, that's Roose's job.