Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fidgit
Apr 27, 2002

And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless.
I couldn't see Thou when they were playing, but there was an awesome shadow of them on the left wall. It gave me a huge black mass vibe, like witches dancing in firelight. I've never seen a show there before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

fidgit posted:

I couldn't see Thou when they were playing, but there was an awesome shadow of them on the left wall. It gave me a huge black mass vibe, like witches dancing in firelight. I've never seen a show there before.

Ya, I'm hoping some people took a lot of photos, because it looked fuckin amazing.

Thalamus
Jan 20, 2007

Peace, Brothers & Sisters!
I can't remember if I found this here or not, so hopefully this isn't a repost. A band called Trippy Wicked from the UK has been posting some acoustic covers of some stoner doom songs, and they're loving awesome.

Dragonaut - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5HEXKtUK18

They also have an album and EP out of their own stuff, which are also awesome, so check it out.

http://www.trippywicked.com/
http://trippywicked.bandcamp.com/album/movin-on

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dyna Soar posted:

^ Really looking forward to that one, maybe I should preorder.

Do it, they have OLIVE vinyl! :D

In other news, I caught this band Swamp Ruins in Orlando last week with Cough. Holy poo poo. They covered all of their gear in insect infested moss, and also cooked over a gallon of Floridian canal water in a crock pot to make the entire room smell of vile wretched swamp.

Check out their tunes on bandcamp here.

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Thalamus posted:

I can't remember if I found this here or not, so hopefully this isn't a repost. A band called Trippy Wicked from the UK has been posting some acoustic covers of some stoner doom songs, and they're loving awesome.

Dragonaut - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5HEXKtUK18

They also have an album and EP out of their own stuff, which are also awesome, so check it out.

http://www.trippywicked.com/
http://trippywicked.bandcamp.com/album/movin-on

Will be checking this out, thanks!

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar
HOLY loving poo poo!

Maryland Deathfest X in May next year

Saint Vitus, Eyehategod, Electric Wizard, YOB, Church of Misery, Winter, Rwake... besides some other metal stuff like Agalloch, Godflesh, Brujeria and Napalm Death.

Fuuuuuck! I'm Brazilian and I'm highly considering the idea of starting some savings now to attend it. It's going to be expensive as hell, but it seems so, so worth it.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Did anyone see Wolves in the Throne Room and Thou last night in Brookyn? I had a ticket but ended up getting a wisdom tooth pulled that afternoon, so I had to miss the show :(. I'm pretty bummed, hopefully it rocked for those who went.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Crimsonjewfro posted:

HOLY loving poo poo!

Maryland Deathfest X in May next year

Saint Vitus, Eyehategod, Electric Wizard, YOB, Church of Misery, Winter, Rwake... besides some other metal stuff like Agalloch, Godflesh, Brujeria and Napalm Death.

Fuuuuuck! I'm Brazilian and I'm highly considering the idea of starting some savings now to attend it. It's going to be expensive as hell, but it seems so, so worth it.
Man, I definitely did not expect your username to come from a country where under a quarter of a percent of the population is Jewish.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

The Gasmask posted:

Did anyone see Wolves in the Throne Room and Thou last night in Brookyn? I had a ticket but ended up getting a wisdom tooth pulled that afternoon, so I had to miss the show :(. I'm pretty bummed, hopefully it rocked for those who went.

It was incredible. Krallice opened (meh), Thou were absolutely monstrous and closed their set with probably the best rendition of "Into The Void" I've heard since the original, and Wolves were nothing short of phenomenal. I was really pleased that the sound at the Bell House was good, because I saw them at Europa last year and it was brickwalled to poo poo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

WitTR are playing Dublin next month, will definitely check them out after this good thread buzz.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

fozzie dunlop posted:

It was incredible. Krallice opened (meh), Thou were absolutely monstrous and closed their set with probably the best rendition of "Into The Void" I've heard since the original, and Wolves were nothing short of phenomenal. I was really pleased that the sound at the Bell House was good, because I saw them at Europa last year and it was brickwalled to poo poo.

Awesome, I'm glad to hear it kicked rear end! I was mainly going for Thou but got into WitTR after I got the ticket (and I think they rock btw) so hopefully I'll catch them soon.

I'm also trying to track down another NYC/CT doom or sludge show for Nov. to make up for missing this, what are some good sites that keep track?

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Mastodon, Red Fang And Dillinger Escape Plan @ Terminal 5 on Saturday, November 19th! Tickets go on sale this Friday - guess I found my November show.

E:vvv Thanks, I'll do that. Probably would've forgotten and ended up half-deaf like after Sleep.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 14, 2011

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Gasmask posted:

Mastodon, Red Fang And Dillinger Escape Plan @ Terminal 5 on Saturday, November 19th! Tickets go on sale this Friday - guess I found my November show.

Bring plugs. Saw DEP a few months back, my ears were destroyed afterwards.

Clean Cup
Mar 4, 2009

The Gasmask posted:

E:vvv Thanks, I'll do that. Probably would've forgotten and ended up half-deaf like after Sleep.

I will see you there friendo.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

Misogynist posted:

Man, I definitely did not expect your username to come from a country where under a quarter of a percent of the population is Jewish.

Well, to be fair, I'm a bit of a lost Jew, or whatever it is that's called, because it seems my family ran away from Germany during WWII and any tradition we had got lost in the way. So in the end I'm Jewish only in blood, no circumcision, bar mitzvah, reading Hebrew or anything like that for me. :(

Now, a big WTF moment was when I ended up meeting a fellow Jew (this one real) at the Cathedral gig here.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

My band is now on Spotify.

http://open.spotify.com/album/1ohx6TpCZK28lhPfQ4wkHC

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

BlueGrot posted:

My band is now on Spotify.

http://open.spotify.com/album/1ohx6TpCZK28lhPfQ4wkHC

Is it on anything else, for us who don't use spotify?
And what is it called?

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

It's called Solstorm, here's our facebook. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Solstorm/105670862832989

and our Myspace
http://www.myspace.com/solstormofficial

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

The Gasmask posted:

Awesome, I'm glad to hear it kicked rear end! I was mainly going for Thou but got into WitTR after I got the ticket (and I think they rock btw) so hopefully I'll catch them soon.

I'm also trying to track down another NYC/CT doom or sludge show for Nov. to make up for missing this, what are some good sites that keep track?

I have found a couple sites for east CT/RI there might be some spillover into the west and NY.

www.lotsofnoise.com
Www.returntothepit.com

Heatmonger
Dec 1, 2007

Ja we ist der supermen
Super-duper supermen

The Gasmask posted:

FYI you can get tickets NOW here: http://mastodon.artistarena.com/

Username: mastodon
PW: tickets

and "For every 2 tickets you purchase, you will receive one free download of Mastodon's new album "THE HUNTER"."

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The new Black Tusk album is getting good buzz. Their previous album Taste The Sin was pretty decent. For fans of Kylesa and that. Will give it a listen when I can get it.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 16, 2011

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The new Black Tusk album is getting good buzz. Their previous album Taste The Sin was pretty decent. For fans of Kylesa and that. Will give it a listen when I can get it.

I love them. Definitely fans of Kylesa and Baroness should check them out. I had no idea they were putting out a new album.

Also, I'm going to try my damnedest to get to the Mastodon show in Orlando. Is Red Fang and DEP on the bill the whole tour? I don't really like DEP and would hope to skip them, but I have a feeling Red Fang will open and DEP will be on second...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Polegrinder posted:

I love them. Definitely fans of Kylesa and Baroness should check them out. I had no idea they were putting out a new album.

10/10 review on American Aftermath, 9.5/10 on Doommantia

\/\/\/\/

The Gasmask posted:

Not really Doom related, but The Ocean Collective is touring with Devin Townsend, and there's a NY show at the Chance (mid-Oct.). Should be awesome.

Sweet. Devin Townsend's co-headling with Turisas in Ireland, don't care much for them but would love to see DT. The Ocean Collective also rock balls.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 16, 2011

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Heatmonger posted:

FYI you can get tickets NOW here: http://mastodon.artistarena.com/

Username: mastodon
PW: tickets

and "For every 2 tickets you purchase, you will receive one free download of Mastodon's new album "THE HUNTER"."

Dude, you loving rock! This saves me from having to buy while at work.

Not really Doom related, but The Ocean Collective is touring with Devin Townsend, and there's a NY show at the Chance (mid-Oct.). Should be awesome.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Earth is coming to town tomorrow, would it be worth it to go if I'm not too terribly familiar with their discog?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Silver Brushes posted:

Earth is coming to town tomorrow, would it be worth it to go if I'm not too terribly familiar with their discog?

If you can get high beforehand - yes

If you can't get high beforehand - yes

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

QPZIL posted:

If you can get high beforehand - yes

If you can't get high beforehand - yes

What this guy said.

If you aren't going in expecting them to sound like it's 1993. And maybe you should go even if that's the case. Because they rule.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Silver Brushes posted:

Yep, they're great live. Saw them in Dublin a few months ago. Really nice guys as well, got talking to Dylan Carlson after the gig.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

well that settles that

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Silver Brushes posted:

Start with Earth 2 and then don't stop.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009
I like Sludge but stuff on the less Eyehategod or grim side. There's some not so hateful stuff out there that's still interesting to listen to. Most recently Weirding. Could anyone recommend similar? I've tried but its quite difficult.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

aliencowboy posted:

Best advice.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

aliencowboy posted:

I'd say start with Extra-Capsular Extraction and then don't stop. Why do people always forget about Extra-Capsular Extraction?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Frank Caskelot posted:

I'd say start with Extra-Capsular Extraction and then don't stop. Why do people always forget about Extra-Capsular Extraction?

Probably because of A Bureaucratic Desire for Extra Capsular Extraction.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Probably because of A Bureaucratic Desire for Extra Capsular Extraction.

Good point. Still, the material is older than Earth 2.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Finally gave Yob's Atma a spin and maybe I'm a tone deaf brute, but I don't understand why some complain about the sound quality.

Also really looking forward to next weekend : Truckfighters on friday and Ufomammut (+ Morkobot) on saturday. :coal:

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I dunno if you guys saw it, but CVLT NATION has recently posted a series of articles on EHG, including two interviews with Mike Williams, a collection of poster art and more. Pretty sweet stuff.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Metanaut posted:

Also really looking forward to next weekend : Truckfighters on friday and Ufomammut (+ Morkobot) on saturday. :coal:

I was so going to see Ufomammut and Morkobot, but alas! Godflesh is playing that night, so gotta see them instead. And then I found out that also Kuusumun Profeetta have a gig in Helsinki the same night.

And I'm still sad the YOB/Dark Castle tour doesn't extend to Finland.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Yeah, that wasn't exactly an easy decision. To be honest I'm still not sure which one I want to see more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Metanaut posted:

Yeah, that wasn't exactly an easy decision. To be honest I'm still not sure which one I want to see more.

I decided in favour of Godflesh, because I've seen Ufomammut once already and I think it's more likely they'll come here again.