Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Scientist posted:

How fast would this engine have been revving to have caused this? Also, you guys gonna sleeve that one cylinder?

I hydrolocked an engine around ... 1800? rpm, if I remember right.

It did far worse, including most of a rod exiting the engine in a violent fashion (through the block). And this was a little Honda (D16Y8 - 1.6 SOHC in the 96-00 Civic).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I wonder if you can still get the core charge?

Maybe even prorated since there's only half a rotor left?

Maybe. I've turned in some pretty gnarly poo poo as a core.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

revmoo posted:

I'd take it to Napa and ask them to machine it just to get their reaction.

Drop some weld on it and mill it back smooth.

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

revmoo posted:

I'd take it to Napa and ask them to machine it just to get their reaction.

It's a hardcore mod - single disc rotor to save on weight.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

he didn't properly lubricate the brakes.

I poo poo you not my friend lubed his brakes to get rid of 'that squeaking noise'
Actually "brake grease" is a great one for loving with people.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InitialDave posted:

It actually does exist, you're just supposed to put it on the caliper slides and such, not the discs themselves :eng101:

(I'm sure you knew that already though)

What really gets me is when someone tells me the brake rotors must be absolutely clean, like a single fairly clean fingerprint is going to cause a problem. Sure, big greasy fingerprints or any amount of actual oil/grease/wd40 is going to cause a big issue, but a couple small fingerprints burn off real fast.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

he didn't properly lubricate the brakes.

I poo poo you not my friend lubed his brakes to get rid of 'that squeaking noise'

InitialDave posted:

Am I missing something? Brake grease actually exists and is used to stop squealing.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Muffinpox posted:

Am I missing something? Brake grease actually exists and is used to stop squealing.

You are missing which end of the break broke brake pad it gets applied to.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ola posted:

You are missing which end of the break broke brake pad it gets applied to.

yes. my friend took a can of wd40 to his pads.

Thank god he sold it after that.

Unfortunately he bought an 82 Bronco for $400. That thing is a loving mess.
We went to change the alternator last night and found out that nearly everything under the hood is just wired directly to the (10ga) alternator wire. Except the carb vent solenoid which was wired to the alternator's stator connection.

Oh yea and the regulator might be the wrong one and that wiring harness doesn't match any of the diagrams we've found. Not one bit; color, location, connections, nothing.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
That turned out to be a troll, but he tricked lots of people.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
That bastard.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Muffinpox posted:

Well, I always think of copper grease on the back of the pad for that, but yes, it's real. My point was that people often think you're yanking their chain with the term "brake grease".

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Nitr0 posted:

did you just see this on reddit or did you see lance's thread in chitchat about the 4700+ people who were viewing it who found it on reddit?

That was a pretty well done troll.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

heat posted:

That turned out to be a troll, but he tricked lots of people.

I'm glad you posted this. My jaw just about hit the floor. That was on par with the /b mustard gas incident (or whatever it was).

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

kastein posted:

did you just see this on reddit or did you see lance's thread in chitchat about the 4700+ people who were viewing it who found it on reddit?

That was a pretty well done troll.

Or perhaps in this thread, as I believe that's now the third time this has been posted?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

MikeyTsi posted:

Or perhaps in this thread, as I believe that's now the third time this has been posted?

I figured he wouldn't see it in this thread and repost it to this thread, but that is a possibility I guess.

Speaking of which, I haven't seen that bent container ship connecting rod in some time.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

MikeyTsi posted:

That would be a pretty big coincidence, since it was on the front page of Reddit very shortly before he copied it and pasted it here.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
It was from reddit. Shoulda realized it was already posted in here.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

yes. my friend took a can of wd40 to his pads.

Thank god he sold it after that.

Unfortunately he bought an 82 Bronco for $400. That thing is a loving mess.
We went to change the alternator last night and found out that nearly everything under the hood is just wired directly to the (10ga) alternator wire. Except the carb vent solenoid which was wired to the alternator's stator connection.

Oh yea and the regulator might be the wrong one and that wiring harness doesn't match any of the diagrams we've found. Not one bit; color, location, connections, nothing.

Stand by while I start a huge debacle, but...

WD-40 isn't that great of a lubricant. It works OK after its just been sprayed on there, but the agent that acts as a lubricant is kerosene, and it evaporates pretty quick. The most effective thing WD-40 does for lubrication is to clean the mating surfaces by way of acting as a solvent.

Captain Crunk
Jun 19, 2005
Lurking for 2 years...

c355n4 posted:

I always wondered how people got into this.

I gotta say, I'm interested as well...

Also the whole "Human grease on brake rotors" thing isn't something I believe. It'd be fairly crazy if all you had to do (or have done to you) is have someone's greasy hamfingers feel up your innocent rotor in a parking lot to cause brake damage.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Captain Crunk posted:

I gotta say, I'm interested as well...

Also the whole "Human grease on brake rotors" thing isn't something I believe. It'd be fairly crazy if all you had to do (or have done to you) is have someone's greasy hamfingers feel up your innocent rotor in a parking lot to cause brake damage.

I was told by an instructor in the automotive program at a tech college (who'd been instructing for 15 years, mind) that you should never ever touch the brake pads with your bare fingers because the oils will cause the pad material to blister and expand outwards under heat. Sort of like why you don't want to touch headlamp/high-wattage lightbulbs.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Wombot posted:

I was told by an instructor in the automotive program at a tech college (who'd been instructing for 15 years, mind) that you should never ever touch the brake pads with your bare fingers because the oils will cause the pad material to blister and expand outwards under heat. Sort of like why you don't want to touch headlamp/high-wattage lightbulbs.

I'm pretty skeptical of that and I don't think that's a fair analogy. Any miniscule human oils on the surface pad would be worn off the first time you touch the brakes. With a headlight bulb that remains on the glass.

Practically, most of us that have installed pads have not done so in a super clean environment using gloves at all times handling them. I personally haven't had any funny wear/early failures that I could even remotely equate to touching them.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I was taught that oil on the rotors would combine with the dust and get cooked on with use.

That paste/dust/oil becomes your new braking surface and will suck and you'll hate life.

I always took it to heart, and wore gloves while touching rotors or pads.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oil on headlamps causes problems because of spot heating/cooling caused by the oil potentially causing thermal shock in the oil, a very different scenario than brake pads.

As for brake pads and rotors, unless you've just been refereeing a bikini mud+lithium grease wrestling match before you change your pads, you're fine. Human oils won't cause problems on pads for two reasons: one, there is VERY little of it, even if you rub the pad on your greasy face before installation; and two, it has a very low flash point, and will be burned off pretty much the first time you use your brakes.

I mean, take all the safety precautions you want to (gloves keep grease/oil off of your hands anyway, and they're carcinogens, so it's good to keep them off in and of itself) but you don't necessarily need to. Don't let that stop you from being absolutely safe, though. Nothing wrong with that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hell, I've gotten chain grease on my rear brake disk on the motorcycle before and sure it the rear brake sucked for the next 100km or so, but after that all the grease had cooked off and it worked just fine again.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I'm sure a ton of people forget to clean off the anti-rust stuff bare rotors come slathered in. Touching the rotors is probably best, since that'll remind you it's there.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Xy Hapu posted:

I'm sure a ton of people forget to clean off the anti-rust stuff bare rotors come slathered in. Touching the rotors is probably best, since that'll remind you it's there.

Is there a proper way to clean that poo poo off short of blasting it with brake cleaner? I generally just give it a good wipe down and know it's going to smoke for a few miles.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I think the only way to clean it off would be a loving lot of brake cleaner. I tried a few times to spray the poo poo out of them but they still smoked like crazy.
I also just wipe down the pad surface with a clean rag after a spray of cleaner and deal with the smoke show.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Is there a proper way to clean that poo poo off short of blasting it with brake cleaner? I generally just give it a good wipe down and know it's going to smoke for a few miles.

Is there a better way to clean your brakes than brake cleaner? Possibly, but why not use brake cleaner?

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Cakefool posted:

Is there a better way to clean your brakes than brake cleaner? Possibly, but why not use brake cleaner?

Gas works pretty good, it's not exactly safe or healthy though

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Cakefool posted:

Here's an MSDS for brake cleaner. Read it and you might understand why you'd be hesitant to use it:

quote:

Section 2 – Hazards Identification
Emergency Overview: Vapor harmful. May cause eye and skin irritation. Possible carcinogen.
Routes of Exposure: Ingestion, inhalation, eye contact, skin contact
Possible Heath Hazards
Eyes: May cause moderate to severe irritation and result in blurred vision and corneal injury.

Skin: May cause mild to moderate irritation of the skin. Prolonged or repeated contact may dry the skin and
result in severe irritation, dermatitis, and effects similar to those of chronic overexposure by way of inhalation.

Inhalation: Acute overexposure may rapidly result in headache, dizziness, nausea, unconsciousness, irregular
heartbeat, and death. Chronic overexposure or intentional abuse may adversely affect the liver, kidneys, lungs, blood, brain, and hearing and result in death. May aggravate emphysema and bronchitis and cause cancer.

Ingestion: Accidental ingestion and subsequent aspiration of even small quantities may cause lung damage,
aspiration pneumonitis, cyanosis, and death. Ingestion of larger amounts may also include gastrointestinal
effects, such as abdominal discomfort, pain, nausea, and vomiting.

http://www.berrymanproducts.com/Portals/0/1401,1405,1455N.pdf

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

nitrogen posted:

Here's an MSDS for brake cleaner. Read it and you might understand why you'd be hesitant to use it:

http://www.berrymanproducts.com/Portals/0/1401,1405,1455N.pdf

Yeah, no worse than the MSDS for blasting media... And you should be wearing eye protection anyway.

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I used really fine sandpaper, followed by brake cleaner. Perhaps that was overdoing it a bit.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Are we talking about like human greasy person grease or like the poo poo you invariably get your arms and hands covered in when doing anything to a car?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Cakefool posted:

It makes my skin break out in a rash something fierce so I try to use it as little as I can.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

The Scientist posted:

Are we talking about like human greasy person grease or like the poo poo you invariably get your arms and hands covered in when doing anything to a car?

New brake rotors come coated in a grease used to prevent them from rusting while in shipping and storage. Now that I think about it, the stuff seems a lot like cosmolene used to preserve old surplus guns for storage. You might be able to just melt it off with a heat gun or even a blow dryer if that's the case.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've never used Brake cleaner, I can't remember off the top of my head what I used last time, probably whatever solvent I had lying around.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Cakefool posted:

I've never used Brake cleaner, I can't remember off the top of my head what I used last time, probably whatever solvent I had lying around.

Brake cleaner should be the only solvent laying around. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Beach Bum posted:

Brake cleaner should be the only solvent laying around. :colbert:

It's also the only wasp killer