Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Apathy
Apr 5, 2009

BSchlang posted:

I anyone else psyched for the new Cynic EP, Carbon Based Anatomy?

I think the only possible answer to that is yes! is there a release date set for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Hammer Floyd posted:

Listened to Amon Amarth today and it finally clicked.

Goddrat this poo poo is epic. I've only got Surtur Rising, what else should I look at?

With Oden On Our Side and Versus the World are their best albums.

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝

Sir Xiphos posted:

Shameless band promotion ahead. Not my band but really, really good nonetheless:

Bay Area progressive black/folk/whathaveyou band Cormorant are releasing the follow up to 2009's Metazoa, titled Dwellings (Big-rear end cover art up above). If you've never heard of them before go have a listen to this little number from the debut (Or this, your choice). Their sound is similar to that of fellow SF band Giant Squid but with far more black/death/folk influences.

Thanks for posting this, "Metazoa" scratches the same itch that Atlantean Kodex and Dawnbringer usually do for me and there's not enough of that music around

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Nam Taf posted:

Seconded. But Amon Amarth is pretty consistent so it's hard to go really wrong with them.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Sorry for the absence. I moved, didn't have internet for a while, etc.
Anyway; since Iced Earth will play here in November, I saw the link to their "When the Eagle Cries" video. I didn't know the song had a video and now I wish I hadn't found out. It's so lovely and corny that it looks like a parody of itself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o6xrSyhVhc
This other version is betters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a7bX7GB9z4&feature=watch_response Starting at 0:45.

I'm currently reviewing the upcoming Van Canto album. Some highlights:
There's a cover of Sabaton's "Primo Victoria". Considering that the song is rather recent, and that it's sung by Sabaton's own singer, it seems unnecessary, especially because there aren't any important changes (with the exception of the dumm dummm dumm dumm daaam in the background).
There's an amazing cover of Manowar's "Master of the Wind".
The rest is, well, Van Canto.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Nam Taf posted:

I still consider Fate of Norns to be the best, but they are indeed all pretty good (and similar). And yes, I think "epic" is the word that describes their best quality.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

El Estrago Bonito posted:

What bands should I look into if my favorite band is Sigh and lately I've been listening to Summoning, Aes Dana, Kataxu, Morker and Agalloch.

Because conventional wisdom says these are all black metal bands, but I tend to not like 99% of black metal people recommend me.

Maybe Lunar Aurora? I adore their Andacht album.

Agalloch-related recs: The aforementioned Petrychor, in fact everything lordblytzkrieg mentioned, also Oskoreien, Crom Dubh, Enmerkar, Gallowbraid, Nechochwen, October Falls, Skagos, Valdur. Oh, and White Tomb by Altar of Plagues.

And if anyone can recommend me more bands like the ones I've just listed, I'd be in your debt.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
For me, Fate of Norns is the most "barbaric" sounding album, but Versus the World is the only one I can listen to front to back without wanting to skip past a few songs. I cannot listen to Once Sent From the Golden Hall, and I don't know why. The Avenger > The Crusher, but the Crusher has "A Fury Divine", which is awesome.

So, I'm gonna second that With Oden and Versus the World are the best.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009

General Apathy posted:

I think the only possible answer to that is yes! is there a release date set for it?

From their Facebook page:

quote:

CYNIC have recorded a new EP entitled "Carbon-Based Anatomy". Stay tuned for more updates, news coming soon.

Paul Masvidal describes this new EP as "both a philosophical as well as a musical journey, one that begins in the Amazon jungle on the lips of a shamanic wisewoman (as portrayed by Amy Correia) and ends in outerspace".

Tracklist:
Amidst The Coals
Carbon-Based Anatomy
Bija!
Box Up My Bones
Elves Beam Out
Hieroglyph
Release dates

November 15 - North America
Novemeber 11 - Europe

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Hammer Floyd posted:

Goddrat this poo poo is epic. I've only got Surtur Rising, what else should I look at?

Twilight of the Thunder God is their most catchy and accessible, but their classic albums are (in my opinion) Once Sent From the Golden Hall, and Versus the World.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So, a sample of Metallica and Lou Reed's collaboration has been released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZhnTY_tdeU

What the gently caress did I just listen to?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

HAAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAH
oh man

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

:suicide:

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Welp, I suppose all we need is Shia Lebouf on the album coverart just to complete the childhood dream-smashing poo poo trifecta.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

:gonk: Metallica... why? Why? :smith:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
het has a challenge for the thread.

which band logo is the bottom right logo based on?

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

I recognize all the other rappers on the patches EXCEPT the one on the bottom right.

A quick wiki look says Jodeci is a R+B group. So there ya go, Jodeci.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I recognize all the other rappers on the patches EXCEPT the one on the bottom right.

A quick wiki look says Jodeci is a R+B group. So there ya go, Jodeci.

I don't think you understand. All the patches on this vest are for rap/r&b stuff yes but they're all based on metal/punk band logos.

We know that it is Jodeci, we're just trying to find out which band they got that logo from. Because it looks so very familiar.

Also, as a rule r&b bands dont feature inverted crosses in their logo.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

MrBling posted:

I don't think you understand. All the patches on this vest are for rap/r&b stuff yes but they're all based on metal/punk band logos.

We know that it is Jodeci, we're just trying to find out which band they got that logo from. Because it looks so very familiar.

Oh poo poo, yea, I reread it and actually caught the "based on" part, I'm sorry.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

MrBling posted:

Has a bit of a Nifelheim vibe going on to me?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I still dont' have all their poo poo, but Twilight of the Thunder God is awesome. The opening and closing tracks are two of my favorite AA songs. Once Sent From the Golden Hall is okay for the most part, but Asator and Cry of the Blackbird are all kinds of awesome, so there's that.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

MrBling posted:

het has a challenge for the thread.

which band logo is the bottom right logo based on?

Somebody said Nifelheim and I am inclined to agree, or Treblinka. I thought of Skeletonwitch first though.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Nifelheim and Treblinka logos look nothing like that though? Aside from the black text with white outlines.

Skeletonwitch is closer, it's a fairly "generic retro thrash" logo though. Like say Deathchain, Witchaven, etc.

Anyway the guys who made the patches are James Jirat Patradoon and Aaron Kuswara. And they plan on selling them.

The majority of the front of the vest is based on punk/crust/hardcore bands though.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 18, 2011

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Gr31lly posted:

Nifelheim and Treblinka logos look nothing like that though? Aside from the black text with white outlines.

Skeletonwitch is closer, it's a fairly "generic retro thrash" logo though. Like say Deathchain, Witchaven, etc.

Anyway the guys who made the patches are James Jirat Patradoon and Aaron Kuswara. And they plan on selling them.

The majority of the front of the vest is based on punk/crust/hardcore bands though.

That's so weird. The Big Pun/Nekromantix patch especially threw me.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Hammer Floyd posted:

I like Once Sent... and Avenger the best. The rest all sound the same (moreso) to me.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
There is really a metal band named Treblinka? Classy.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There is really a metal band named Treblinka? Classy.

http://www.metal-archives.com/search?searchString=auschwitz&type=band_name
http://www.metal-archives.com/search?searchString=sobibor&type=band_name
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Chelmno/24326
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Belzec/6435
http://www.metal-archives.com/search?searchString=birkenau&type=band_name

And these are just the extermination camps!

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

:stare:

I am THE ROOT

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 22, 2016

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Gr31lly posted:

The fact that you and MrBling didn't recognize it kind of blows my mind, now I'm really curious as to which logo that's parodying.

Also let's make this interesting and say if anyone can identify it they get a free custom title of their choice.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

El Estrago Bonito posted:

What bands should I look into if my favorite band is Sigh and lately I've been listening to Summoning, Aes Dana, Kataxu, Morker and Agalloch.

You're probably going to like Altar of Plagues and I'm going to check out those bands you list between Summoning and Agalloch.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
If anybody's in the California area, keep an eye out for my fellow countrymen, Contrast the Water. The whole band relocated to the states this month as part of some sort of musician "refugee" movement - which I don't really agree with but whatever. v:v:v

They play groovy death metal and have already released two albums over their career. Good friends of my band and along with Mind Assault are one of the top metal bands in the country.

They're also going to be part of the D.R.I reunion shows at the end of the year. If I hear of any more concrete dates I'll post them here.

"Washing the Spears" off their latest LP, Perseverance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTQqsJNSHjk

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Just had another listen to the 2007 Moonspell release where they redid their old EPs. Man, that is some really good material. If you're not sure what it sounds like, it has a similar vibe to early-mid Samael, Triarchy-current era Rotting Christ, and of course their own Lusitanian thing.

MrBling, is that Morbus Chron album you mentioned any good?

het, the logo looks so damned familiar, but as mentioned it may just be a generic logo, but it's doubtful as the rest of the logos are directly influenced by bands.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Hellwuzzat posted:

From last thread.
Oh hey, people do read my posts :v:

Like I think I said (although that might have been in the bands nobody has heard of thread), they did develop their own sound with their second album. I don't think it's fair to just dismiss them as an Agalloch ripoff. They are one of those bands that I listen to once in a while and then think "Wow, why don't I listen to these guys more often?"

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

keratas posted:

MrBling, is that Morbus Chron album you mentioned any good?

:confused: I think you've mixed up something somewhere. I dont even know what Morbus Chron is.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ip_Dt-yWbs
The true progenitors of viking metal...

BEHOLD THE HAMMEEEEERRRRRRR!!!!

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

MrBling posted:

:confused: I think you've mixed up something somewhere. I dont even know what Morbus Chron is.

Oh dear you're right, apologies!

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Radio Paranoia posted:

The whole band relocated to the states this month as part of some sort of musician "refugee" movement - which I don't really agree with but whatever. v:v:v

Can you elaborate on this? I can't imagine them qualifying for actual refugee status (they're from South Africa, not Zimbabwe or Syria), so are you referring to some sort of "everyone move to the States" movement?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
My first impression of that Jodeci logo was some sort of bastard child of Slaughter and Kreator. It sort of reminds me of Dark Angel the more I look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Vargatron posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ip_Dt-yWbs
The true progenitors of viking metal...

BEHOLD THE HAMMEEEEERRRRRRR!!!!

I'm loving those fireworks.