Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

GloomMouse posted:

I'm setting up Dolphin in preparation for Xenoblade, but how can I get my PS3 six-axis to work with it?

Motioninjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

Filthy Monkey posted:

Just made some new x64 ICC builds myself.

Unpatched
Dolphin 3.0-96 SSE3
Dolphin 3.0-96 SSE4.2

With Mylek's Xenoblade Audio Patch 3.1
Dolphin 3.0-96 SSE3
Dolphin 3.0-96 SSE4.2

I'm using your patched 3.0-96 SSE3 build but I get a black screen and crisp audio. I can't figure out what the problem is. I know dolphin works with other builds though.

Could it be a chipset problem for me? I'm using an Intel E8400 like the other guy who posted before me, so I don't think that's the problem. My graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 9600GT.

Edit:
GAH as soon as I switch to OpenGL it works just fine. Why is this? Am I missing some Direct3D drivers?

This makes no sense. I switched it back to Direct3D 9 and it works just fine. Why stupid computer, why?

Ok I got it now I'm an idiot. I used alt-enter to enter fullscreen mode at the wrong resolution. Result: Black Screen.

enigma74 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 18, 2011

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Motioninjoy.

I already had motioninjoy, the problem was that I didn't set the wiimote extension to 'classic', but thanks. Now just waiting on the game.

jromano
Sep 24, 2007
Filthy Monkey's latest build is running really good for me. These are the best online by far. The ones on the Dolphin forum are compiled by a bunch of idiots.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

GloomMouse posted:

I'm setting up Dolphin in preparation for Xenoblade, but how can I get my PS3 six-axis to work with it?

Motioninjoy, which seems to be much more stable these days. I bought their recommended bluetooth device and it works no problem at all.

Choose wiimote settings -> custom (?) -> classic controller setup.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
I about six hours into Xenoblade and am really starting to get into it, but I don't know how much longer I'll be able to stand the skipping/popping audio. After trying numerous builds and patches that claim to fix the problem I'm no better off than I was when I first downloaded the stock 3.0 Dolphin, so I'm starting to winder if it's simply my CPU holding me back, an e8400 @ 4Ghz, as I've been looking for a reason to upgrade anyway - I'd just hate to drop $400 on a new CPU/MB/Memory only to have the same issues as before.

If anyone out there is running an overclocked 2500K, could you maybe give some impressions?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DEO3 posted:

I about six hours into Xenoblade and am really starting to get into it, but I don't know how much longer I'll be able to stand the skipping/popping audio. After trying numerous builds and patches that claim to fix the problem I'm no better off than I was when I first downloaded the stock 3.0 Dolphin, so I'm starting to winder if it's simply my CPU holding me back, an e8400 @ 4Ghz, as I've been looking for a reason to upgrade anyway - I'd just hate to drop $400 on a new CPU/MB/Memory only to have the same issues as before.

If anyone out there is running an overclocked 2500K, could you maybe give some impressions?

Have you tried seeing how well the game runs with LLE turned on?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I have an e8400 that's at 3.8GHz and rarely have any problems anymore using FilthyMonkey's SSE3 build with the audio patch that he posted on the last page.

e; Using HLE, LLE gives me a bit of a slowdown.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

jromano posted:

Filthy Monkey's latest build is running really good for me. These are the best online by far. The ones on the Dolphin forum are compiled by a bunch of idiots.
I give them credit for their dedication, but most of the builders there really don't know what they are doing. There is no doubt about that. Emulators are a terrible project to cut your teeth on.

I actually submitted a code patch to fix a problem somebody was having with Mario golf. If you've seen errors about not being able to compile geometry or pixel shaders, you might have encountered the same bug. Hopefully they'll push it to git.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 18, 2011

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

So I managed to dump my DK country ISO and I've been trying to play it on Dolphin except that every time I go to actually start one of my games it brings up a screen saying that it lost connection with the Wii mote.

Example:

I'm using a real Wii mote with my bluetooth setup. However it will do this exact thing even with a 360 controller. The only way I seem to get further is if the only input device I'm using is a keyboard.

Any ideas?

edit: I've heard that sometimes that using rechargable batteries makes DKCR cause this issue so I got some fresh AA's and it still happens.

edit 2: Starting to suspect my bluetooth adapter, going to buy the recommended one. Still weird that it only happens in DKCR so far.

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 19, 2011

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I put together a couple more builds, mostly to fix the shader-related bug. I also spent a few hours generating a large set of builds with varying optimizations, and testing their relative speeds in xenoblade. I've now narrowed down what I believe to be the fastest set of ICC optimizations for dolphin. It turns out a couple of switches do more harm than good.

Here are the winners. Both have my shader related fix applied. In addition, both are built with /arch:SSE3. In my testing, I found that /QxSSE4.2 lost me about 1 fps worth of speed. Minor, but hey. I am picking the best of the lot here.
3.0-96
3.0-96 /w Mylek's Xenoblade Patch

TANSTAAFL
Feb 10, 2006
fubar
I've got dolphin working great and everything looks fantastic, I've just got a couple of questions.

For some reason my 360 pad isn't working with dolphin. It just doesn't set when I press a button in the settings, it works fine for rebinding mouse or keyboard but doesn't seem to see my 360 pad. The pad works fine in other games so I'm not sure what the problem is. Any ideas?

This is only sort of dolphin related... I wanted to continue my Monster Hunter Tri game on my pc, but apparently the save was locked or something because copy was greyed out in the Wii save menu. My other saves copied over fine, is there any way around this or is this some silly cheat protection for monster hunter?

Mr. P
May 22, 2001

TANSTAAFL posted:

For some reason my 360 pad isn't working with dolphin. It just doesn't set when I press a button in the settings, it works fine for rebinding mouse or keyboard but doesn't seem to see my 360 pad. The pad works fine in other games so I'm not sure what the problem is. Any ideas?
There's a device selection on the binds menu, if it's on DInput try switching it to XInput.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

TANSTAAFL posted:

This is only sort of dolphin related... I wanted to continue my Monster Hunter Tri game on my pc, but apparently the save was locked or something because copy was greyed out in the Wii save menu. My other saves copied over fine, is there any way around this or is this some silly cheat protection for monster hunter?
You can get around this with homebrew. If you don't mind hacking your wii, then head over to the wiibrew thread. OP looks pretty up-to-date with Letter bomb (how you actually soft mod).

From there you should probably ask there what specifically to do. I haven't messed with protected saves personally, but, for example, I know you can disable the protection with Preloader; I can not tell you if Preloader is recommended anymore and don't want to give you bunk info.

vv yeah, see, I'm behind the times.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 19, 2011

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If you just want to disable stuff like save protection and disc checking and disc updates, then get startpatch instead of preloader. Theres also a savegame manager app but it doesn't backup the savegames as data.bin files.

TANSTAAFL
Feb 10, 2006
fubar

Mr. P posted:

There's a device selection on the binds menu, if it's on DInput try switching it to XInput.

Thanks that fixed it.

Also my Wii is already soft modded using letter bomb so I'll definitely look into startpatch or some other way to get at my monster hunter save.

I'm curious, right now I'm playing Xenoblade on my pc but I may want to continue later on my Wii, is it easy to copy the save back over to the Wii?
Thanks for the help guys.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

TANSTAAFL posted:

I'm curious, right now I'm playing Xenoblade on my pc but I may want to continue later on my Wii, is it easy to copy the save back over to the Wii?
Thanks for the help guys.

Yup. Right click the game on your list in Dolphin (setup the game ISO directory if you haven't), then select Wii Save Export (Experimental). This should produce a file you can then use to copy back to the Wii internal system memory via the default Wii system menus.

Edit, Importing to Dolphin is done similarly, but from the main dolphin tool bar. Tools > Wii Save Import.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

Filthy Monkey posted:

I put together a couple more builds, mostly to fix the shader-related bug. I also spent a few hours generating a large set of builds with varying optimizations, and testing their relative speeds in xenoblade. I've now narrowed down what I believe to be the fastest set of ICC optimizations for dolphin. It turns out a couple of switches do more harm than good.

Here are the winners. Both have my shader related fix applied. In addition, both are built with /arch:SSE3. In my testing, I found that /QxSSE4.2 lost me about 1 fps worth of speed. Minor, but hey. I am picking the best of the lot here.
3.0-96

Thanks, gonna test this out now. For me, (3.0ghz E8400m, Nvidia 9800GT) your previous build was actually less stable than Mylek's patched build. In Mylek's, my game would stutter badly during battles with a lot of stuff going on, but your previous build would just crash.

Edit:
Tested by playing Xenoblade for about 3 hours. It's much better than the previous version you made FilthyMonkey. It has only crashed once on me, and that was when I alt-tabbed to look at something on gamefaqs. Alt-tab crashes happen to me no matter what version of Dolphin I use, so this version is pretty much rock-solid.

enigma74 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 20, 2011

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Filthy Monkey posted:

3.0-96

Would it be to much trouble to put a 32-bit build together?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Filthy Monkey posted:

3.0-96

Thanks for these, I'm using the second one, performance is pretty much perfect now and I'm not getting that annoying audio skipping anymore. Not a huge deal but I'm getting that image save bug with Dolphin, should I rerip my disc or is that just a Dolphin quirk? It's just cosmetic and doesn't seem to affect anything so I guess I can just ignore it too.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

Thanks for these, I'm using the second one, performance is pretty much perfect now and I'm not getting that annoying audio skipping anymore. Not a huge deal but I'm getting that image save bug with Dolphin, should I rerip my disc or is that just a Dolphin quirk? It's just cosmetic and doesn't seem to affect anything so I guess I can just ignore it too.

It's just cosmetic in the save image (doesn't corrupt anything and isn't important unless you're a :spergin:)

Probably because of using efb copies texture instead of ram (textures is way faster)

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
I am getting a lot of crashes using the Dolphin 3.0-96 SSE4.2 version that was posted earlier trying to run Xenoblade. I looked them up on the windows reliability history and they all have this message.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Dolphin.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4e72d080
Fault Module Name: Dolphin.exe
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4e72d080
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000000000047076b
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: c829
Additional Information 2: c829e46f87379a1faae2fc092fdb3357
Additional Information 3: 7cd8
Additional Information 4: 7cd8c1966c81feb80348113361a99026

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 44848758

The settings I use in dolphin are enable dual core, framelimit: off, JIT recompiler, lock threads to cores, DSP HLE emulation, enable DTK music, enable audio throttle, xaudio2, dx9, 2x native internal resolution, 4x anti-aliasing, 16 x AF, scaled EFB copy, ignore format changes, EFB copies: texture, Texture cache slider to fast, EF buffer: disable, fast mipmaps, disable per-pixel depth, and OpenMP texture decoder.

I am running Windows 7 64bit on an Intel i5 2500-k, 4gb of RAM, and a Radeon 6950. I was wondering if anyone had a solution to this problem? I tried looking around on the dolphin forums, but couldn't find any solutions. I can't play more than 20 minutes now without a crash.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Filthy Monkey posted:

3.0-96

This is worse for me than your previous build, I consistently get about 1FPS lower with it and more noticeable intermittent FPS drops using the same settings. I'm on an i5-750, Radeon 4890, Win7 x64.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

If my most recent build is crashing for you, try a build from somebody else, or one of my previous builds. It could be that /O3 is too aggressive to use for compiling dolphin. This is the first one I've built with it. I seemed to get a minor speedup with /O3 over /O2.

As for more fps drops on the new one, I am not sure. It is definitely the fastest build for me in the test I did. The optimizations I used on the most recent build are very different than those on the previous build, so a performance difference is possible.

I might have to do a little more testing.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
I'll give another build a try tommorow then and see if that helps.

Lucificate
Jan 4, 2005
Man this is so frustrating. When it works, it is so beautiful and fun, but I get seemingly random crashes in Xenoblade with every build I have tried. Been running through builds and settings for several days now trying to find one that works. There are a few that just outright crash for me, but several - including those posted in this thread - will run from 5-20 minutes or so before crashing with every set of settings I have tried. I think I have tried them all.

Using an E8500 and 8800GTS on win7 64 bit. No problems on any other games. About to give up I think, there must just be some weird problem with my hardware. It could just be too old/slow to run this I guess but it doesn't seem to have any FPS problems when its working (even with internal resolution up). Just sound stuttering and crashing.

Anyone have experience with Dolphin running Xenoblade on this hardware? Any builds/setting combos that don't crash that I could have overlooked?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lucificate posted:

Man this is so frustrating. When it works, it is so beautiful and fun, but I get seemingly random crashes in Xenoblade with every build I have tried. Been running through builds and settings for several days now trying to find one that works. There are a few that just outright crash for me, but several - including those posted in this thread - will run from 5-20 minutes or so before crashing with every set of settings I have tried. I think I have tried them all.

Using an E8500 and 8800GTS on win7 64 bit. No problems on any other games. About to give up I think, there must just be some weird problem with my hardware. It could just be too old/slow to run this I guess but it doesn't seem to have any FPS problems when its working (even with internal resolution up). Just sound stuttering and crashing.

Anyone have experience with Dolphin running Xenoblade on this hardware? Any builds/setting combos that don't crash that I could have overlooked?

They're all going to crash a bit because they're all betas, but your sounds excessive. Not sure what's going on, sorry :(

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Lucificate posted:

Ttry good ol' dust busting. I should mention I get some crashes as well, but they haven't been very frequent. If canned air doesn't make anything better you just may have bad luck. Hope for a more stable build in the next few weeks/months.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

If you are using xaudio, try switching to direct sound. I crash every ten or fifteen minutes in Xenoblade when using xaudio. Not just with my builds, but with any build.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Has anyone messed around with the controller mappings? I'm playing Metal Gear: The Twin Snakes and I'm at the part where you have to fight Psycho Mantis and switch the controller to the 2nd port. I tried remapping my gamepad settings to the 2nd port and setting the 1st to the keyboard, but it's not working :(

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Filthy Monkey posted:

If you are using xaudio, try switching to direct sound. I crash every ten or fifteen minutes in Xenoblade when using xaudio. Not just with my builds, but with any build.

Awesome, this seems to be working, just played for 2 hours without a crash.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: Dolphin.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4e7710c3
Hang Signature: cc8e
Hang Type: 0
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 4105
Additional Hang Signature 1: cc8e5717b575de9f60b26e8ec65ed27f
Additional Hang Signature 2: 20b8
Additional Hang Signature 3: 20b8734bd64d3688254b88888d6f3d82
Additional Hang Signature 4: cc8e
Additional Hang Signature 5: cc8e5717b575de9f60b26e8ec65ed27f
Additional Hang Signature 6: 20b8
Additional Hang Signature 7: 20b8734bd64d3688254b88888d6f3d82

I keep getting these crashes every 5 minutes or so now. Everything just freezes up with the audio stuttering and I have to kill the dolphin process.

edit: looks like the same bug was reported a long time ago and has never been addressed http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/issues/detail?id=4061

Rated PG-34 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 23, 2011

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

How well does this run Xenoblade chronicles & Tales of Symphonia?

My pc specs...
~ GigaByte GA-770T Motherboard
~ ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GPU
~ AMD Phenom II X4 955 CPU
~ 4GB DDR3 A-Data Gaming RAM
~ 750W Corsair Power Supply
~ 1TB Primary Hard Drive
~ 2TB Secondary Hard Drive
~ Windows 7 64bit OS

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

rizuhbull posted:

How well does this run Xenoblade chronicles & Tales of Symphonia?

My pc specs...
~ GigaByte GA-770T Motherboard
~ ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GPU
~ AMD Phenom II X4 955 CPU
~ 4GB DDR3 A-Data Gaming RAM
~ 750W Corsair Power Supply
~ 1TB Primary Hard Drive
~ 2TB Secondary Hard Drive
~ Windows 7 64bit OS

You may have to overclock a little (if you have a Black series processor, it's super easy), but I have a slightly worse processor and can run Xenoblade fine on the patched build.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
Uh oh. :ohdear: It's not supposed to look like this is it?

Xenoblade, just past Satorl Marsh when you go inside the Bionis. Help. i5-750, Gigabyte GA-P55, Radeon 4890, Win7 x64, using one of Filthy Monkey's earlier builds and have had no problems up to this point.

edit: well switching to Direct3D11 made it so I could at least see even though it looked like poo poo, so I was able to make it past the area.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 24, 2011

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

So I've decided I want to play resident evil 4 on this.#

Load it, great it runs at 100% almost all the time, but there are a couple of issues.

1) It crashes randomly every 10 minutes or so
2) It jumps like a mother fucker the first time you fire a weapon/load certain sounds etc

Any have any idea what this could be?

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
Is it possible to play the metroid games or goldeneye with a kb+mouse aim using this emulator?

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

BrettRobb posted:

Is it possible to play the metroid games or goldeneye with a kb+mouse aim using this emulator?

The Metroid Prime trilogy for Wii can be setup for keyboard and mouse controls. The only problems are getting the game itself to work and the controls are nowhere near as crisp or responsive as they are in an actual fps.

garney
Jul 21, 2007
I have a Macbook pro 15" Intel Core 2 Duo, and whilst games like Sonic Heroes, SA2:B run fine, Windwaker had some slowdown and texture issues, but just on the character models which is annoying in an otherwise perfect game.

Any tweaks/mac builds specifically for Windwaker you guys would recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

garney posted:

I have a Macbook pro 15" Intel Core 2 Duo, and whilst games like Sonic Heroes, SA2:B run fine, Windwaker had some slowdown and texture issues, but just on the character models which is annoying in an otherwise perfect game.

Any tweaks/mac builds specifically for Windwaker you guys would recommend?
Are you running OS X or booting into Windows? I didn't play with it too much before resorting to Boot Camp, but I think the OS X build is slightly slower because it's limited to OpenGL while the Direct3D output modes are faster. Apple's OpenGL implementation also isn't the best for high-performance stuff like games, though that's improved with Lion.

Basically, dual-boot if you can, otherwise I haven't seen much in the way of optimized OS X builds.

• Locked thread