Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

tripsevens posted:

Is there a reason why everyone went for the T legs over the A legs?

"A" legs get in the way, especially if your chair has arm rests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
T also allows for more leg room, yeah.

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010

woot fatigue posted:

Isolation Chamber by woot fatigue, on Flickr

This is my 'sperg-cave. There are usually two prints on the main wall under the left and right lights, but I'm currently showing them at a gallery.

Man, I hate to derail, but how do those speakers sound? I've had my eye on them for a while, but I can't justify it without hearing em first... Thanks buddy.

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

C.f. top of page 2 of this thread, just over 3 years later not much has changed, but I did get a new mouse :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

headlight posted:

C.f. top of page 2 of this thread, just over 3 years later not much has changed, but I did get a new mouse :)

You don't actually mouse like that, do you? Holy poo poo that would be painful after not very long.

the chinaman
Oct 25, 2004

woot fatigue posted:

This is my 'sperg-cave. There are usually two prints on the main wall under the left and right lights, but I'm currently showing them at a gallery.

What bookcase is that? I love the openness of it.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

tripsevens posted:

Discovered the Ikea Galant desk thanks to this thread.

Is there a reason why everyone went for the T legs over the A legs?

It really just boils down to personal preference and what you think looks best. I have the A legs as I thought they looked better than the T style

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Some awesome set-ups in this thread.
Nothing too special here but it works great for me, mainly do photo editing, html and css from my home set up. Looking to get a second monitor in the near future.

Yes that's a 900 but beyond the pit falls its the only case I could afford that holds everything I need with the proper cooling.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

My desk is by the window. Well, my old desk, that's our old office. 4 developers stuffed into that picture (other two are behind that partition wall) and 3 more in the room to the left. gently caress my old chair, too.

How does that not cause insane levels of eye strain? Especially for the other guy, who seems to have a window directly behind him.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Mr_Person posted:

How does that not cause insane levels of eye strain? Especially for the other guy, who seems to have a window directly behind him.

I thought having a window behind your monitor is supposed to cause less eye strain. As opposed to being up against a wall where your eyes never have the chance to really change their depth of focus.

e: unless you mean the closer desk, with the window behind [his chair], with the reflections, etc. Which I agree would probably be annoying after awhile.

Pweller fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 13, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mr_Person posted:

I think before, I sat so close to my monitor it didn't really matter what was behind it. Who knows. This is what my cube in the new office looks like. I only use half of it for some reason.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

woot fatigue posted:

Look who was featured in LifeHacker today: http://lifehacker.com/5839605/the-isolation-chamber-workspace

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Ha they made the same mistake I did.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

FISHMANPET posted:

You don't actually mouse like that, do you? Holy poo poo that would be painful after not very long.

I mouse like that at work all the time. Lots of space in front of the keyboard, so I use the mouse like that, almost at the same angle.
It's fine, really..

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

If you think about it, it's not really much worse than using a trackpad on a laptop.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

So it's awful, got it.

cbubbles
Mar 15, 2007

I'm soooo into you
That's where I have my trackball setup, it's worked pretty well there. I don't know if I would like my mouse there but I can't imagine it being that awful if it's what you like.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Modern Pragmatist posted:

If you think about it, it's not really much worse than using a trackpad on a laptop.

Moving a whole mouse is different than just moving your thumb (or swiping fingers these days)

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
I do IT for non-profits so I usually get my choice of ancient and broken gear to make my own systems. As such everything looks a bit junky. Runs like a dream though.

There is another system hiding in the corner there. With a long distance KVM switch that hooks to some Poweredges I keep in my basement, too loud to keep in my livingroom :)

And no I didn't pose my cat he's always like that.

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 17, 2011

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

BlueBlazer posted:

I do IT for non-profits so I usually get my choice of ancient and broken gear to make my own systems. As such everything looks a bit junky. Runs like a dream though.

There is another system hiding in the corner there. With a long distance KVM switch that hooks to some Poweredges I keep in my basement, too loud to keep in my livingroom :)

And no I didn't pose my cat he's always like that.

Is that some sort of triple monitor mount? If so do you have a name/link for that?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Pweller posted:

Is that some sort of triple monitor mount? If so do you have a name/link for that?

Ergotron makes a couple but they work best with smaller, older monitors

http://www.amazon.com/Ergotron-Triple-Display-Stand-Black/dp/B000E9VF1U

They aren't cheap either.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration
After my wife and I finished our apartment renovation I decided to get rid of the Ikea furniture that I've been toting around the city for the last ten or so years. So we went to a nice furniture store and I picked up this desk made by BDI, which I've fallen in love with. I also decided to get a new lounge chair for reading, and lo and behold it works great as an office chair as well.

Here is a shot of everything. Note that this is a NYC apartment, so space is at a premium. You can also see the cable/ethernet coming out of the wall. Hopefully our electrician will be by tomorrow to finish that up:

Here's a close up of the desk. I've got a 25" HP monitor and a 27" Toshiba TV mounted on the wall. It's as close to a man cave that I'll ever get unless we leave NYC (not happening) or win the lottery (also unlikely to happen):

Built in keyboard tray with additional storage:

Chair reclined for maximum TV viewing pleasure:

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Just finished fabricating the garage frankenputer.

Withnail fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 19, 2011

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jesus, did you buy the XFX triple monitor stand?

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
An ex-daytrader gave it to me. Really what are you supposed to do with three monitors?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Just leave them on the desk on the stand they come with, or buy cheaper single desk mounts for each of them. That XFX thing is silly expensive, but free is good!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Withnail posted:

Just finished fabricated the garage frankencomputer.

I know that computers aren't that sensitive anymore to magnetic fields, but, those outdoor rock speakers aren't shielded, right? :ohdear:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Ikea Vika system! Whoo. Check out that ethernet cable just chillin out on the ground. I got a Signum wire organizer screwed into the bottom; that's what those wires on the left are heading up to. I want to get an iPhone dock so I can get rid of that extra wire on my desk, too.

What I don't like about this desk is how light, and thus ultra-vibration-prone, the Vika Amon tabletop is. That light is wobbling like loving crazy as I type this, and so is my monitor (though I've adjusted to that and it's not so bad). Ugh.

Oh. And when I lean down on it, it kinda sounds like I just stepped on a box of packing peanuts. That's... that's bad, isn't it?

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 19, 2011

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003
Yeah, I mounted my G27 to a Vika Amon top. It's just two thin sheets of pressed material with actual cardboard in between. Drilling through was a bitch.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

Anal Volcano posted:

Ikea Vika system! Whoo.

Nice clean set up. Where did you get that stand for your MacBook? It's giving me some ideas to play around with.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Mitsune posted:

Nice clean set up. Where did you get that stand for your MacBook? It's giving me some ideas to play around with.

Rain Design mStand. I really like it, though it's kinda pricey for something that doesn't adjust or anything.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Ron Burgundy posted:

Do you collect films for that Bell & Howell or is it a static display piece?

I shoot my own.

wanderlost posted:

Man, I hate to derail, but how do those speakers sound? I've had my eye on them for a while, but I can't justify it without hearing em first... Thanks buddy.

They have a very crisp, detailed sound. A pair of B&W's at the same price will give you slightly better results, but the design is worth it.

They do lack in the lower frequencies, so you'll want to pair them with a subwoofer.

the chinaman posted:

What bookcase is that? I love the openness of it.

Ikea Enetri

Jeratain posted:

Look who was featured in LifeHacker today: http://lifehacker.com/5839605/the-isolation-chamber-workspace

diospadre posted:

Ha they made the same mistake I did.

I've contacted the writer twice asking for a correction...

Apartment Therapy: Unplgged was kind enough to ask permission before using my photography for profit, and did a much better writeup.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
Probably because they are a lot cooler than the Gawker media people who for the most part should be put in the stocks and publicly shamed.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Anal Volcano posted:

Rain Design mStand. I really like it, though it's kinda pricey for something that doesn't adjust or anything.

I have the Griffin Elevator which is similar, but I wouldn't recommend it if you plan on using the laptop's keyboard or trackpad as it gets bouncy.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Sniep posted:

I know that computers aren't that sensitive anymore to magnetic fields, but, those outdoor rock speakers aren't shielded, right? :ohdear:

The speakers you have sitting on your desk right now likely are not either...

A static magnetic field is not going to bother anything inside a computer.

Floppy disks where susceptible to corruption/erasure if placed very close to a magnet (as in placing the magnet directly on them), and even then the field generally had to be moving to actually erase any data.

Elos
Jan 8, 2009

I really should take a better picture but :effort:

Portrait 22" owns by the way.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Slow Graffiti posted:

Chair reclined for maximum TV viewing pleasure:

Want that chair.

Model/manufacturer/where'd you buy it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Elos posted:

Portrait 22" owns by the way.

I tried it but the viewing angles didn't work. Plus I think it was weird because of the font anti-aliasing (OS X). I'm using a Viewsonic VG2236wm-LED

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

Tide posted:

Want that chair.

Model/manufacturer/where'd you buy it?

I picked it up at a furniture store here in the city called Jensen-Lewis. I believe the manufacturer is called Lafer, and I think it can be found other places online. It definitely wasn’t cheap, but it acts as both my recliner and office chair, so I suppose that’s a good way of justifying the cost to myself.

Plus, every time I sit down in it I can’t believe how comfortable and soft it is. After years of Ikea furniture I didn’t know what real leather felt like. Also, I didn’t show it in the photos but the back reclines almost entirely horizontal so you can get some good napping in if you are so inclined.

Here’s the link:

http://www.jensen-lewis.com/pid/00000588/Kiri-Recliner-Chair

Slow Graffiti fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrunderGretch
Aug 2, 2011

first post ive ever posted.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)