Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
Warner Bros. just sent this out to people who contacted them about the hosed up Flaming Lips Heady Nuggs box set.

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for ordering The Flaming Lips, “Heady Nuggs” boxset. We appreciated how patient you have been with resolving the issues that have arose.

Please be advised that we have pressed a very limited run of replacement vinyl of "Clouds Taste Metallic" for the few of you that have reported pressing defects. Since these are pressed in Europe, delivery time has taken longer than anticipated but we are happy to report they will be at our warehouse any day now. Please send an email to BSM@b3custserv.com with your shipping address so that we may get this item off to you without further delays.

For the inconvenience, we would like to extend this coupon for 15% off you next order at https://www.becausesoundmatters.com

Code: HEADYNUGGS

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Sincerely,
Because Sound Matters Online Customer Support"

I don't know just how limited the repress was, but if you have a hosed up record, it'd probably be a good idea to contact them ASAP.

If you didn't buy the set, don't be a dick and try to send an email to get the record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I think at this point I'm the only one posting here who doesn't have this.

LIMITED EDITION of 50,000

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

What is a 'talking head'? :confused:

You know how normally when you're in the head you're not supposed to talk to the other dudes there? Well, in a talking head it's not only allowed but encouraged. :downsrim:

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Surfingelectrode posted:

For the inconvenience, we would like to extend this coupon for 15% off you next order at https://www.becausesoundmatters.com

Code: HEADYNUGGS

Wow, the 15% off makes their prices just expensive instead of stupid expensive.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
I bought this in some random guy's backyard record fair in my neighborhood for $4 and the actual record is almost perfect. I loving love my town.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've found that often when you have a really beat-up outer sleeve, you have a pristine record inside. I guess they're cases where the owner/s of the record haven't given a poo poo about the music and the package has been handled carelessly throughout moves etc. but the actual disc might be completely unplayed.

Then again, it might be in two pieces. That's why I always check.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I usually find if the outer is beat than so is the record. Especially, if the outer is separated.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

cosmicjim posted:

I usually find if the outer is beat than so is the record. Especially, if the outer is separated.

That's often the case, but I always check anyway. I've found quite a few records that were pretty close to NM condition in lovely sleeves.

death by computer
Sep 6, 2010

I recently found a copy of the Portsmouth Sinfonia's first album in a charity thrift store hidden in the mounds of old Al Hirt and Herb Alpert records. If any of you aren't familiar with the Sinfonia, they were a group of students who (mostly) couldn't play any of the instruments they were assigned. Brian Eno produced their first album and played the clarinet. Here's their version of "Also Sprach Zarathustra" (which you've probably heard by now):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uOpk8NwFL8

I think I almost crapped myself out of glee when I found it.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

pimpmaster spaceman posted:

I recently found a copy of the Portsmouth Sinfonia's first album in a charity thrift store hidden in the mounds of old Al Hirt and Herb Alpert records. If any of you aren't familiar with the Sinfonia, they were a group of students who (mostly) couldn't play any of the instruments they were assigned. Brian Eno produced their first album and played the clarinet. Here's their version of "Also Sprach Zarathustra" (which you've probably heard by now):

Wow. I can't believe I haven't heard this before. On Tuesday i'm going to the local crap record store and I m going to crate dig until y nose bleeds from mold and dust. Last time I left with some alright 12"s nd a beat up Mandrill LP but t I am very very determinded to find something cool

JasciTheFish
Dec 21, 2006

Right, I forgot, here in the States, you call it a *sausage* in the mouth.
I'm having a lot of trouble finding the U.K version of Revolver although that's probably because my local record stores suck balls.

On the other hand, The Olivia Tremor Control is reissuing Dusk at Cubist Castle and Black Foliage on vinyl so booyahhhhhhhhhhh.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pimpmaster spaceman posted:

I didn't know there was a record for that project.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Skipped work to go to the Ponderosa Stomp record fair on Friday, stood up for about 4 hours straight and spent about $200 on 45s but ohhhh my god left with wonderful stuff. There was a wall of three guys selling rare-as-poo poo cajun-land 45s, one of them selling all of it for $5 apiece. A good day of record hunting leaves me with primarily rock&roll instrumentals for my radio show. A CRAZY one leaves me with a chunk of Louisiana rock & roll instrumentals. I mean one of them is practically the holy grail I never knew existed: for $5 I got a 45 from Lafayette with two sides of crazy greasy instrumentals with cats meowing all over it called "Pussy Cat" by the Continentals. A bunch of really great funk 45s too. Some Barabara Lynn, Eddie Bo, Lightnin' Slim, a later Ernie Vincent (not one of those super-rare ones), Eskew Reeder, Alvin Cash (I think I'm approaching his full discography), and Harvey Scales.

Unlike the one I do, it's vinyl only and as it's for a show/conference full of obscure record collector artists, the dealers, many of them the same from my shows, were leaving the Led Zepellins at home and pulling out the big guns. I accused some of holding out on me. I think the only reason I got some of the stuff I did for a decent price was because we were swimming in it.

And something I got a kick out of: let a guy borrow my portable turntable to demo some of his 45s. He was wearing an Untamed Youth shirt, but even as a surf nut I figured that's not that crazy for an event like that so while we chatted a little I didn't mention it. Turns out, a friend was friends with Deke Dickerson (from Untamed Youth) and it was revealed that my record fair friend was drummer for both Phantom Surfers and the Mummies.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Farts Domino posted:

was drummer for both Phantom Surfers and the Mummies.

Ahhhhhh that is cooool. Make a friend!

I sat around all weekend selling records at a garage sale. Made 400$.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
goddamn FD that owns.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Anyone else picking this up?

http://shopusa.4ad.com/4ad-sessions

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Had the Beach Boys Cabin Essence single hit my door today, looks like it was a UK only release with MOJO magazine.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Haha, lyrics by Van Dyke Parks.

I really tried to get into that first album of his, Song Cycle, but It's just not my thing.

Wikipedia posted:

It was one of the most expensive albums ever produced up to this time. The album made early use of an eight-track professional reel-to-reel recorder at a time when most studios were still limited to four-track machines.

Although it received good reviews upon release, Song Cycle sold slowly, and took at least three years to pay for the original studio sessions. In response to the poor sales of the record after its release (despite some rave critical reviews), Warner Bros. Records ran full page newspaper and magazine advertisements that said they "lost $35,509 on 'the album of the year' (dammit)." The ad said that those who actually purchased the album had likely worn their copies out by playing it over and over, and suggested that listeners send in worn out copies to Warner Bros. in return for two new copies, including one "to educate a friend with."

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Record store finally got This is Happening in today, and even though I just went in there to grab that, I came out with Best Coast, Within and Without (Washed Out), and Reptilians (Starfucker). I also got Innocent Man (Billy Joel) and Queen II as a late birthday present from my sister. Building that collection slowly.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Ron Burgundy posted:

Haha, lyrics by Van Dyke Parks.

not sure what's funny about that-- his lyrics for Smile are some of the most incredible stuff ever written for rock n' roll music.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Some more random stuff, was at Value Village here searching for potential costumes and went to see the vinyl.

The Cosby albums, while a little scratched on the records itself are in great condition, the cases are very sturdy still. The Thin Lizzy was nice, I love that album and apart from the two big hits, the album is incredible, start to finish.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

chime_on posted:

not sure what's funny about that-- his lyrics for Smile are some of the most incredible stuff ever written for rock n' roll music.

Whilst his work on Smile was notable, his solo catalog is enigmatic and inaccessible to many casual listeners. Some might consider his lack of regard for music industry trends humorous. lol

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

So I have a pretty good amount of people listening to my radio show and and a lot of them are urging me to DJ out a little bit, spin some 45s at local clubs. I've got some money saved up (thinking about a grand or so) and some songs I want to play, so why not?

Unfortunately, my thrift-store style of learning equipment doesn't really help me here, so I was wondering if anybody had some equipment recommendations. I'll probably get two AT-PL120s, they're probably good enough for the task and I'm used to them, but I could use some cart, coffin, and possibly even mixer recommendations (I've got one that might work fine but who knows).

I'm not about to get started with turntablism, I'm just going to be spinning some surf/garage/mod/funk whatevers, but I want to be able to lug poo poo around easily and for it to be well-suited to whatever might come up. Anybody have any experience?

Farts Domino fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 22, 2011

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Just got these two:

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Farts Domino posted:

Anybody have any experience?

I've had regular bar gigs for years, but I've never played in a place that didn't have their own system. I've thrown parties and whatnot, but if you're DJing at bars and clubs, they are all going to have their own system.

I would recommend doing a few happy hour gigs, so you don't have pressure and you can learn the system. Honestly, there's no reason for you to invest in your own system, unless you really plan to get serious with mixing or scratching, or if you're going to throw your own parties and shows.

You should get carts though. Always bring at least 2 carts, 3 or 4 is best in case you have an issue. Here's your bar gig checklist:

2 carts (or 2 pair if you can)
Headphones (and headphone adapter just in case)
45 adapters
Tonearm weights (people will laugh at this until you have a gig where they're missing)
Booklight or LED flashlight

That should do you right. I went from a mediocre Stanton beginner setup straight to 1200s, but that would be overkill if you're just playing 45s and not really mixing too crazy. You should try and buddy up with someone, play for an hour on their night or practice with them if they have a system at their house. For basic crossfade mixing, it's super easy to pick up, and you just have to keep watch of which record is playing when you've had 4 beers, other than that just bring enough records and you're golden.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

I'm under the impression that clubs down here don't have their own turntables but I can look around and check it out. Either way, I've already gotten people urging me to play, say, at their ice cream shop or beach party, and as a gear nut I don't really mind dropping a little bit extra.

Those tips are great. I mean, they all seem kind of obvious, but as you're suggesting, I'll probably gloss over the obvious and make an rear end out of myself

Farts Domino fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 22, 2011

Funeral Pudding
Jun 20, 2006
My pal the tortoise, fast does he go?

Farts Domino posted:

So I have a pretty good amount of people listening to my radio show and and a lot of them are urging me to DJ out a little bit, spin some 45s at local clubs. I've got some money saved up (thinking about a grand or so) and some songs I want to play, so why not?

Unfortunately, my thrift-store style of learning equipment doesn't really help me here, so I was wondering if anybody had some equipment recommendations. I'll probably get two AT-PL120s, they're probably good enough for the task and I'm used to them, but I could use some cart, coffin, and possibly even mixer recommendations (I've got one that might work fine but who knows).

I'm not about to get started with turntablism, I'm just going to be spinning some surf/garage/mod/funk whatevers, but I want to be able to lug poo poo around easily and for it to be well-suited to whatever might come up. Anybody have any experience?

I'd recommend trying to find a pair of SL-1800 mk2s instead of gettings PL120s. It is literally the same turntable as an SL-1200 mk2, but with the controls in a different place. They also go a lot cheaper than a PL120. I got a perfect one off of ebay for under $100 pretty recently. You'd be getting better tables for a lot less money. If you'd rather just get something new and not have to worry about tracking down used turntables though, PL120 is your best bet.

Stanton 680EL (the old version with the silver body) is probably my favorite DJ cart. It was the standard for discos during the 1970s. Great sound, and fairly light tracking force for a DJ cart.

Funeral Pudding fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 22, 2011

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Surfingelectrode posted:

Just got these two:

I've never seen the cover of Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star before. It makes me want to buy it.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Farts Domino posted:

Anybody have any experience?

I actually spin reggae/dancehall 45s in New Orleans a fair amount, and only a few clubs(dragons den) have their own turntables. Usually the guy that throws the parties I play at brings in his coffin case with his 1200s and runs those into the club's system. If you are doing this make sure you can run out to RCA, 1/4", and XLR, and bring your own cables along with that other poo poo that was listed. Certain clubs (like the saint) only have XLR inputs while other clubs will have RCA and 1/4", etc.

Yet another reason why I usually play digital!

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Well there we go, thanks Maguro

Funeral Pudding, I was thinking of going new just so I'd have a nice un-hosed set rather than the high likelihood that I would try to wing it with a broken-to-everybody-but-me setup, have it nice and pristine. I do tend to like and trust vintage TTs a little more in build quality (despite the fact that I use AT-PL120s every week) and they're a little more fun looking, so maybe I'll call up contacts and see if they can give me a hand, otherwise I'll probably just go new. But the cart recommendation is good, I like all the Stanton stuff I've used so far.

Any coffin recommendations?

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
In New Orleans for a business trip and made a pit stop at Louisiana Music Factory. Definitely one of the best shops I've ever been too. A must for jazz and soul - ok enough rock section. But what I really dug their good selection of local stuff. I went there after I made a stop at Peaches and just found their prices way too high for my blood - decent selection though. Ended up picking up a copy of Quintron and Miss Pussycat's Swamp Tech for 15 bucks, which rules because I remember finding in the Newbury Newbies in Boston for twice that much.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Tiny Faye posted:

In New Orleans for a business trip and made a pit stop at Louisiana Music Factory. Definitely one of the best shops I've ever been too. A must for jazz and soul - ok enough rock section. But what I really dug their good selection of local stuff. I went there after I made a stop at Peaches and just found their prices way too high for my blood - decent selection though. Ended up picking up a copy of Quintron and Miss Pussycat's Swamp Tech for 15 bucks, which rules because I remember finding in the Newbury Newbies in Boston for twice that much.

Why do they still call it Newbury Comics if none of the stores have any focus on comic books? That's what I want to know.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Tiny Faye posted:

Peaches is historic in the local rap community (at least when it was at its old location) but it's the worst and most expensive record shop in town. If you were at the Music factory you were a short walking distance from another great shop, Skully's on bourbon st.

Also, if you leave New Orleans without going to Domino sound records then shame on you.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Tiny Faye posted:

Unfortunately his new album is always twice that much from what I can tell. Add Euclid to Maguro's list and you have completed the list of necessary record stores in New Orleans.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Let's see what I've gotten in the last 2 weeks.

First up Clap Your Hands Say Yeah's latest album "Hysterical" on limited-to-500 blue(ish) vinyl and the latest Girls album "Father, Son, Holy Ghost on black and white vinyl with a bonus flexi-disc. Never even seen one of these. It's pretty cool but I can't get it onto the middle record player pin thing (there's probably a name for it) because the hole is too small and I don't want to force it. Oh well.

Also got the The Flaming Lips with Prefuse 73 and The Flaming Lips with Lightening Bolt EPs, and I finally got a cool black and blue colour and no record sleeve splits. Score! Also, Beirut's latest album "The Rip Tide on limited clear vinyl.

Ordered a copy of Lookbook's limited-to-500 vinyl release of "Wild At Heart" and instead got a copy of Decibully limited-to-500 vinyl release of "World Travels Fast"... ListeningPartyRecords immediately sent me the correct record and told me to keep the Decibully one... which I already had, but you can never have enough (free) copies of such an underrated band's album. :)

Also, Deerhoof's "Milkman" on limited-to-500 copies strawberry vinyl and a copy of Mark Kozelek's latest live album on clear vinyl, limited to 200 hand numbered copies, in a nifty packaging.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Not an Anthem posted:

I sat around all weekend selling records at a garage sale. Made 400$.

I hung out at a local part-time record dealer's yard sale a couple of weeks ago to help haul some boxes and go through some of his sale stuff and big 45 boxes. Just the worst scene ever. Flea market classic rock record dudes showing up and not buying poo poo (lots of trad jazz and blues in the boxes) and bragging about their past big scores. Line of the day: "Y'all got any Blue Notes or that northern soul?". I've thought about having a yardsale but the hassle v. reward makes it easier for me to just take a crate on a road trip to a decent store for trade.

Got a really good deal on a NAD C162 / C272 pair that sounds loving great and now I'm thinking of doing a small all tube system to replace the Onkyo / NHT secondary system I have. I've *never* found a decent piece of vintage hifi equipment in my area, though, so I'm afraid the cost might be a bit much. I do need to upgrade the carts on both my tables, though (recommendations? ~<$200). I sold a few rare rockabilly 45s I had so I'm torn between splurging on some audio equipment or saving it for the three record shows coming up.

I really want to go to one of the big shows (ARC/WFMU) but I'd want to make a decent digging roadtrip out of it and my inability to save a decent amount of cash kind of fucks it up.

Funeral Pudding
Jun 20, 2006

JehovahsWetness posted:

Got a really good deal on a NAD C162 / C272 pair that sounds loving great and now I'm thinking of doing a small all tube system to replace the Onkyo / NHT secondary system I have. I've *never* found a decent piece of vintage hifi equipment in my area, though, so I'm afraid the cost might be a bit much. I do need to upgrade the carts on both my tables, though (recommendations? ~<$200). I sold a few rare rockabilly 45s I had so I'm torn between splurging on some audio equipment or saving it for the three record shows coming up.

What turntables are you going to be putting the carts on, and what carts are you using at the moment?

Funeral Pudding fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 24, 2011

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Funeral Pudding posted:

What turntable are you going to be putting the cart on, and what cart are you using at the moment?

Technics 1210mk2 w/ Shure MX97xE, it was the spare cart I had when I got the table. Always thought it had a little too much bass with little definition (probably worth the ~$50 sale price, but no way the MSRP). Improved w/ the new amp, though. This is the table on my main/big system, mainly because this is where I play 45s.

Pro-ject Debut III (acrylic platter) w/ Ortofon OM10, I loving hate this table, although the platter change did help. The OM10 really needs replacing.

As far as long term strategy goes I'd probably be better served by selling off my Pro-ject and splurging on a clean, used classic Rega or VPI or something.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

I have a Debut III and upgrading the platter and the cart makes a big difference. I've got a Denon DL-160 on it now.

I really hosed up on switching the cart. Instead of pulling the clips off of the pins, I kinda sorta pulled the wires off of the clips. I had to get someone to solder them back on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funeral Pudding
Jun 20, 2006
If your preamp supports moving coil carts (I know a lot of NADs do), I'd recommend getting a Denon DL-103 for the SL-1200. Great sounding cart. MSRP is over $200, but you can get them new for ~$150 without too much trouble. I find that 45s sound best with a conical stylus, and the DL-103 has probably the best conical stylus ever made. If you listen to a lot of 45s, I can't think of anything that would be better. Treble detail isn't quite as good as some of the other carts in its price range, but definitely much better than M97xe.

Denon DL-110 is a good option if you only have moving magnet inputs. Excellent tracking, and a really nice sound overall. Very good treble and mids. Bass is good but not great. The more modern "special elliptical" stylus retrieves more detail than the DL-103, but doesn't sound as full, and isn't as good on styrene 45s. Still, I think it's better than anything else under $200.

The Pro-Ject has a lighter tonearm, so I'd maybe consider Audio Technica AT-120e, AT-440mla, or one of the Ortofon 2M carts. Denon DL-110 would probably also work OK. Definitely not the 103 though.

Edit: Actually, I think Denon DL-160 would be ideal on the Peo-ject, but I think it's been discontinued.

Funeral Pudding fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 24, 2011