Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Guess I'll try my luck in here, too:

Job Seeker

My Experience
A combined total of four and a half years in helpdesk and IT support roles, including field maintenance, customer service, hardware/software installation, and a small amount of network administration. All of this experience was in the higher education industry at one small college of 1200 students and a university with roughly 3500.

I currently possess a DoD Secret clearance and a Security+ certification. I'm also working on my CCNA (hoping to take it in October). In addition to these qualifications, I am also fluent in Spanish and proficient in Russian.

What I'm Looking For
Tier 2/3 helpdesk or a junior Systems/Network administrator role. I'm also open to field service.

What I'm Not Looking For
Call center/junior helpdesk.

Where I Live
Richmond, VA

Where I'm Looking
The Baltimore/DC metro area, however I'm open to staying in Richmond.

When I Can Start
Mid November. Finishing up some training in Missouri right now.

Requirements
401k match

Can Be Reached Via
PM for email address

psydude fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
I think I'm needing some change....

Job Seeker

My Experience
Not only am I solid level 2 tech, I'm a licensed low voltage electrician(WA 06)! I've been doing IT for small mom and pops since I was 15, and have since moved on to doing local non-profits, and mid-sized offices(10-25 employees). I currently work as a tech at a local university, I took the job for the free tuition, but seeing as it will take 10+ years and I'm hopelessly over qualified for my position I think its time for a change.

I'm a trained Electrical tech with experience in building management, CCTV, Fire, Security, and data/low voltage.

I'm A+ and N+ certified and working on finishing my LPIC-1 next month. I prefer open source solutions, to proprietary software but am realistic enough to make exceptions. I currently have half a dozen local clients that I provide various levels of support for; including Mobile deployment(Android 2x, 3x, WinMO, and RIM), Active directory/Exchange, Google Domain Management, just to name some specifics. I'm no super genius with scripting but I've managed to cobble together what I need to make stuff work. The last year I've spent working with Android as a mobile platform, I'm proficient with many different flavors of *nix.

I'm a scavenger, and can work the tightest of budgets(not assholes.) I've set up donations to recycle systems for use at local community organizations.

What I'm Looking For
Field Service Engineer or Mobile Development, though I'm pretty open I've kept my training broad and I can troubleshoot pretty much anything with wires and firmware.

What I'm Not Looking For
Call center/junior helpdesk, desk jockey, cable runner, night janitor, piece work installer

Where I Live
Seattle, WA

Where I'm Looking
Anywhere on the Coasts, even would consider international non-profits

When I Can Start
October Late September...

Requirements
Depends on the work, I'm realistic, willing to negotiate for the right company. Standard health benefits would be great.

Can Be Reached Via
PM for contact info

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 26, 2011

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
I guess I'll also post that I am SEEKING A JOB! I'm probably not in the best position for what I'm looking for, but with where I've been working for the past eight years, there's no way to crawl out from under the rock and get the training I want unless I get out of the job. I made a horrible career decision to stick with my employer and go with a job for money's sake rather than actually having some job satisfaction. It's time to remedy that, even if I need to take a huge step back.

I currently work third shift, and do not want to continue doing so on a regular basis.

My experience: ZERO IT work experience, 5 years retail supervisory experience (2 years as an assistant manager over 30-50 direct reporting employees, shared responsibility over 130-180 employees). 6+ years in school working towards CompEng/CompSci degree.

What I'm looking for: "An IT job." More specifically, entry level technical support/help desk work. I'm mainly hoping to find a location with advancement opportunities as I work towards getting the certificates necessary to move forward with a career. First or second shift, or varying shifts with only OCCASIONAL third-shift work.

What I'm NOT looking for: Best Buy Geek Squad. Short-term contract work (under 6mo). "Gigs". Computer Store Desk Clerk. Third-shift work.

Where I live: Greenfield, WI - Willing to commute any reasonable distance, but not looking to uproot my family at this time.

When I can start: Two weeks or less, depending on how my notice to my current employer is received.

Requirements: Health insurance preferred, but depending on circumstances this may be flexible.

Can be reached via: This thread, PM, shymog on AIM, dargisjr AT automatonstudios.com

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
I'm on the market and curious if anyone had any contacts. I'd like to escape the weather of TX (San Antonio/Austin) but I may just have to lock it up and deal with it for a few more years.

I'm hoping to find a consulting/engineer gig. I'd really like it to be a small group, startup or perhaps a partner, but unfortunately I've not made too many of these sorts of contacts in Austin.

I've spent a lot of time at various large (enterprise and shared) webhosts throughout my career.

My experience: 6 years of Windows/Network administration ranging from general webhosting administration (IIS5-7) to IT Manager, to SMB consultant gigs. I'm familiar with Windows AD/IIS, backup systems (Commvault, BackupExec), Cisco ASAs (and of course general l2 switching/VLAN management, etc), and other various appliances such as Barracudas, Sonicwalls, etc.

What I'm looking for: I'd like an engineering role, or a break-fix admin role where I'm working on fun things.

What I'm NOT looking for: I don't want to sit around only responding to SCOM CPU alerts, nor fix printers.

Where I live: Austin/San Antonio, TX. I'd really like to escape the heat, but if you know of a position here that's great as well. San Francisco, Colorado, etc are all fabulous places that I would enjoy.

When I can start: A few weeks max.

Requirements: I'm flexible, although I really prefer the startup/SMB arena so this is a huge plus.

Can be reached via: PM, islangfiber on aim, admin @ vty.cc

piss boner
May 17, 2003

piss boner fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 19, 2012

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

FILLED I'll post again when we open it back up.

Hey we're hiring NOC techs again (one of our guys is heading out of state, and I'm hoping another will be moving to a new position in the company) - so hopefully we'll be adding 2 in the next few months.

Who we are: LightBound, a local ISP/VoIP CLEC.
Location: For this job, close to downtown Indianapolis about 2 blocks from Lucas Oil stadium.
What we do: Colocation, Dedicated Internet Access, VoIP (we're an Indiana CLEC offering business services).
When: This month or next.

The position is for shift work, 4 days on, 4 days off, 12 hours on, 12 off. Night/Weekend shifts you'll be the only person here (but the wifi is 54mbps wide open and direct to the internet). M-F is a bit busier.

Requirements: Be familiar with how the Internet works, you don't need to know the nuts and bolts of BGP, OSPF, or the internals of the TCP or IP headers (although any and all of those are a plus), but at least be familiar with the difference between a router and a switch, TCP and UDP, and how many addresses there are on the IPv4 internet- or at least have enough knowledge that you could figure it out if you sat down with a calculator. High school degree is fine, college degree not required as this is an entry level position.

If you're interested, submit a resume to jobs at lightbound.net -or- use this CareerBuilder link.
(I'm not directly involved in hiring, but if you have any other questions my AIM/ICQ are in my profile)

Plus you'll get to sit at our fancy new desk:

(Disclaimer: Desk is not this fancy anymore since that project fell through)

ragzilla fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 21, 2012

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Any .NET goons around Louisville, KY hit me up with a pm. I'm constantly getting bothered about C# and or ASP jobs around here.

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010
Chiming in here again. If anyone has anything (and I mean ANYTHING) or any kind of leads for a young college nerd in Pensacola, Florida, please let me know. Just don't make me work at a Dominos. It seems to be the only place hiring around here. I need something more challenging than that.

Tried looking for government jobs, I tried my college's job services department (Oh look, domino's openings!), I've been scouring craigslist, linkedin, dice, monster.

I'm not even that picky about the TYPE of work anymore. Anything entry level, internship, whatever. I'm having trouble finding openings for crappy help desk/telemarketing jobs.

I will work for free for a week or two if that's what I have to do.

Please keep me in mind. Not trying to sound desperate, but I am.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Kumquat posted:

Chiming in here again. If anyone has anything (and I mean ANYTHING) or any kind of leads for a young college nerd in Pensacola, Florida, please let me know. Just don't make me work at a Dominos. It seems to be the only place hiring around here. I need something more challenging than that.

Tried looking for government jobs, I tried my college's job services department (Oh look, domino's openings!), I've been scouring craigslist, linkedin, dice, monster.

I'm not even that picky about the TYPE of work anymore. Anything entry level, internship, whatever. I'm having trouble finding openings for crappy help desk/telemarketing jobs.

I will work for free for a week or two if that's what I have to do.

Please keep me in mind. Not trying to sound desperate, but I am.

Move out of Florida, or if you need to stay in Florida move to Orlando, Tampa or to a lesser extent near Miami. Good luck finding IT work anywhere there isn't a large IT industry.

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010

ElCondemn posted:

Move out of Florida, or if you need to stay in Florida move to Orlando, Tampa or to a lesser extent near Miami. Good luck finding IT work anywhere there isn't a large IT industry.

Thanks for the advice. I guess Pensacola is just where dreams come to die. Right now I'm kind of tied down right here due to school concerns. We'll see about next year, I guess. :smith:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Kumquat posted:

Thanks for the advice. I guess Pensacola is just where dreams come to die. Right now I'm kind of tied down right here due to school concerns. We'll see about next year, I guess. :smith:

Have you hit up the staffing companies? Kelly and the like always need folks, and right now even a short contract job is better than zero job.

In IT you need to go where the work is. My entire family lives in Topeka, but the closest area that has even a reasonable IT job market is Kansas City and even that is hit and miss. No shortage of work here in Texas though. San Antonio, Dallas and Houston all have tons of options.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Kumquat posted:

I guess Pensacola is just where dreams come to die.

I am a Pensacola native, and this is 100% truth. It is a terrible terrible place and you would do well to get the hell out.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
One of the best moves I ever made was getting out of Florida (Tampa, which wasn't THAT bad) during the housing crash a few years ago. There were hardly jobs back then, I can't imagine it now.

Texas isn't too far, and it's been booming. It's where I wound up, although I'm tired as hell of the heat.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

vty posted:

Texas isn't too far, and it's been booming. It's where I wound up, although I'm tired as hell of the heat.

This summer has been a bit of an outlier in terms of the heat though:

We're all tired of it :sigh:

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
We're desperate for a Ruby or PHP developer in Edmonton. Even a few days a week from a freelancer would be good. If you are one, or know one, please PM me. Only looking for someone local at this point.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I figured I'd throw this up here.

First thing's first. I have a full time job, and I'm not looking to leave. I love my job, but it doesn't give me a ton of hands on experience with hardware, and I'd like to get my feet wet on that.

I'm just looking for a part time weekends and nights only deal in Buffalo, NY. Anything where I can get hands on experience with networks is fine.

I have a certificate in network design and a certificate in network security, along with years of troubleshooting and system building experience.

You can hit me up with a PM or email me at [username]@gmail.com

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I will refine this post later with more information (as I find it), but apparently the place I'm at now is looking to hire like 10 more support staff by the end of the year and they haven't had a lot of success. Also, I apparently get some kind of referral bonus for recruiting people, so this is potentially a win-win-win scenario.

Who we are: Entrust
What we do: Lots of cool encryption and security poo poo!
When: Before 2012, apparently

Historically, the Entrust software support staff has been based in their corporate office in Ottawa, Canada. For various reasons, they want to build up a support staff in the Dallas office. There are currently 3 of us, including myself. They want closer to 13 by the end of the year.

Requirements: Good troubleshooting skills and willingness to learn new things. You will be supporting IT professionals, not end users, which is a plus. We use VMware for building test servers, so comfort with that is a plus. They will provide you with training for the products you'll be supporting, so if you don't know poo poo about things like PKI and CAs and 2nd factor authentication, don't worry.

I don't have a loving clue how the recruitment bonus thing works yet, but if you're interested, you can email me at bradly.cochran@gmail.com and I'll see what I can do. If I can't "recruit" you, I'll still pass your info on.

brc64 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 3, 2011

Kalluxe
Feb 6, 2003

Officer ROB is on patrol!
Possible Job Opportunity
I'm currently with Concerto Networks of Houston, but I'll be moving to Austin very soon (owner won't know until 9/6). I don't want to leave the owner in the lurch, so I thought I'd inquire to see if anyone here is interested in helping out a small managed service provider in the area.

Yes, it's a glorified computer janitor position, though if you have interest in helping to grow the business and have business skills, that's a plus.

CAVEATS:
  • If you're looking for a super buttoned down work environment, this isn't it.
  • The owner is generally nice and all, but will get frustrated often and blow it off by ranting about how "no one can develop software", "users can't fight their way out of anything", "social media is a fad" etc. Note that he generally doesn't direct it at me.
  • Going into the job, you won't be full time. I currently do around 30 hours a week. Benefits? Haha, you funny.
  • I hope you're in northwest Houston (between 249 & 290, address at web site).

Technical skills to have:
  • Windows XP & Windows 7 troubleshooting (there's about zero Win Vista)
  • Office 2003, 2007, 2010 knowledge (Outlook especially)
  • Windows 2003 & 2008 SBS knowledge
  • Printers (setting up, troubleshooting)
  • Desktop & laptop troubleshooting, upgrades, etc.
  • Basic to intermediate level networking skills
  • Mac knowledge is nice. Our clients don't run *nix at all (there was one SCO Unix box, but it's not really an issue).
  • Smartphone knowledge is a plus (Android, iPhone)

People skills to have:
  • Communication, communication, communication: This is more than half the battle. In-person, written, and phone skills needed.
  • Business skills: He has recently purchased a marketing program, but will no doubt need some help getting that going. I've set up some affiliate programs as it is, but that's a baby step. Ability to sell services, etc. is a plus.
  • Some other stuff I'm likely forgetting at the moment.

Some sample tasks I've done:
  • A client got an SSD for his laptop and someone cloned his old drive to it, resulting in inflated partitions. Of course, while I was there, I was asked by a suite-mate to fix their network and a few other tasks.
  • A client called and said they couldn't print via their LogMeIn setup at home.
  • A school with a sign connected to a wireless network couldn't update it.
  • A client with a warehouse wanted Wi-Fi installed to work throughout their building.

I'll try to be mindful to check PMs and the like on this.

Bob Jones
Mar 6, 2007
Nerve Stapled

Spot filled.

Bob Jones fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 21, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Who we are: A health media company
What we do: Interactive wellness websites
When: Now!

We're looking for a Rails and Javascript programmer who wants to create new, fun, and exciting web sites for our customers. Quick learner, pro-active, attention to detail, blah blah.

Write amazing front-end code using HTML, CSS and JavaScript (jQuery)
Write beautiful server-side code to support your front-end
Ensure that your code supports multiple platforms, ranging from Internet Explorer to the latest Android tablet
Contribute new ideas to improve our technologies, processes, and products

Android and iOS app experience is a plus but not required.

We have a mixture of Mac, Linux, and Windows machines so we'll buy you whatever you're comfortable with. We have a brand-new office and there are 5 other web developers.

email: robvas@gmail.com

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
Just looking for a bit of advice at the moment, really.

I've been working in IT for about 10 years, now. I don't have any official qualifications, but i've got lots of experience in corporate IT, from Field Engineer to Systems Admin and Network Guy.

I'm moving from the UK to Canada next month, and i'm wondering just how different the job market is going to be over there. It's never held be back here as I have all the right experience, but will not having certification stop me from getting my foot in the door?

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Cthulhuite posted:

Just looking for a bit of advice at the moment, really.

I've been working in IT for about 10 years, now. I don't have any official qualifications, but i've got lots of experience in corporate IT, from Field Engineer to Systems Admin and Network Guy.

I'm moving from the UK to Canada next month, and i'm wondering just how different the job market is going to be over there. It's never held be back here as I have all the right experience, but will not having certification stop me from getting my foot in the door?

As someone in your exact position (minus the moving countries but with a couple more years experience), I can tell you in the US you'd be best served looking to small companies as they are more likely to overlook no certs and/or have someone that does HR that may not know to ask for certs/understand their general requirement at larger companies (i.e., they don't have a hiring committee). I would suspect Canada to be roughly the same, but I cannot say for certain. I've found that if you can demonstrate your knowledge during the interview, you'll be fine. I've also found that smaller companies also don't tend to want to pay for cert courses, for the same reasons.

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

I shouldn't trust the phones. They're full of gas.
Sysadmin job in Puyallup is temporarily on-hold.

Midelne fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 2, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

brc64 posted:

I will refine this post later with more information (as I find it), but apparently the place I'm at now is looking to hire like 10 more support staff by the end of the year and they haven't had a lot of success. Also, I apparently get some kind of referral bonus for recruiting people, so this is potentially a win-win-win scenario.

Who we are: Entrust
What we do: Lots of cool encryption and security poo poo!
When: Before 2012, apparently

Historically, the Entrust software support staff has been based in their corporate office in Ottawa, Canada. For various reasons, they want to build up a support staff in the Dallas office. There are currently 3 of us, including myself. They want closer to 13 by the end of the year.

Requirements: Good troubleshooting skills and willingness to learn new things. You will be supporting IT professionals, not end users, which is a plus. We use VMware for building test servers, so comfort with that is a plus. They will provide you with training for the products you'll be supporting, so if you don't know poo poo about things like PKI and CAs and 2nd factor authentication, don't worry.

I don't have a loving clue how the recruitment bonus thing works yet, but if you're interested, you can email me at bradly.cochran@gmail.com and I'll see what I can do. If I can't "recruit" you, I'll still pass your info on.

I've gotten a couple of replies so far, so good luck to those! Apparently we are also looking for software developers. I know we do a lot of Java development, but I think we're also looking for people with experience developing for iOS, Blackberry, Android, Windows Mobile/Windows Phone.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
See my latest post for an open position.

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 28, 2012

alistair
Feb 17, 2007

Look behind you.
We're a London-based web startup, and we're looking for frontend developers:

http://blog.streetlife.com/post/10126539586/job-opportunity-frontend-developer

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Final repost for our job opening. The job description has been updated, new version below.

Mierdaan posted:

What we're looking for

job posting posted:

$COMPANY$ is seeking applicants for the position of Application Developer within our IT Department. The position will be responsible for full lifecycle software development, from gathering requirements to implementing software applications to supporting existing applications in a manufacturing environment. This position will maintain and create enterprise applications and web interface for a global audience of internal and external customers. The ability to work well with small groups, interact with end users and rapidly develop high quality software solutions is critical. The candidate must also have the ability and desire for continuous self-improvement through ongoing education and learning.

Experience with the following qualifications preferred:
  • Microsoft Dynamics (preferably Dynamics AX)
  • SQL
  • Microsoft SSRS/SSAS
  • HTML, JavaScript
  • CSS
  • SharePoint
  • Open source web development
  • .NET

Preferred minimum qualifications include a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field plus at least 3 years on the job experience. Must be proficient in .NET or Java and have working experience with an ERP system. Must have the ability to evaluate the Company’s current and future software needs and make recommendations for continuous improvement of systems architecture. Must have advanced verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work independently, prioritize projects and meet deadlines.

Approximate opening date: Immediate

Benefits: Health, dental, vision, 401k matching, generous Paid Time Off policy

Notes: ~175 employee biotech manufacturing company, privately owned so no need to worry about SOX or any of that mess. Email me for more details, questions, etc, or just shoot over a resumé and I'll get it to the right people.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Cross posting this with the Cavern of Cobol thread:

My company, VOKAL Interactive, is hiring both Android and iOS developers

http://vokalinteractive.com/

Who we are

Small and young shop specializing in mobile. Located in River North, Chicago (Hubbard and Lasalle). We're largely a client-driven agency building all sorts of apps. Our team is very design driven with a very organized and straightforward development process. We all love our jobs here, it's a great place to work, especially if you're new to the industry.

Where are we

Chicago, IL

What are we looking for

Junior and senior level developers wanting to get into mobile, or who have professional mobile experience already

For iOS
- At least one app in the App Store, but multiple apps is a plus
- At least 1 year of solid experience in Objective-C
- Solid understanding of core iOS programming principles
- 3+ years of development experience (if looking for a senior-level position)

For Android:
- At least one app in the Android Market, but multiple apps is a plus
- At least 1 year of solid experience in Java, more is a plus
- Solid understanding of core Android application fundamentals (Activity, Service, Broadcast Receiver, ContentProvider)
- 3+ years of development experience (if looking for a senior-level position)

How to apply

Email me at scott dot ferguson at vokalinteractive dot com, or PM me on the forums. I'm Director of Engineering for the company, so the interview process will go directly through me. We'll kick things off with a quick phone screen, then schedule the first of two face-to-face interviews.

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.
Filled

Belial42 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 27, 2011

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Though it's a long shot as I'm from a tiny European country I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring for the hell of it as I'm looking for more stable employment anyway. There are more Swedish goons around, that I'm sure of!

Job Seeker

My experience: Python, C, C++, C# programming. Mostly win32 stuff with visual studio, toyed some with GTK+ 2.0. I've done some kernel development for linux, part of a kernel module implementing a new network protocol. Currently part of a team porting a 16-bit app to 32-bit at work. Part of that project had me playing around in delphi (4 :( )as well. I've also done some asp.net stuff with mvc 3.0.

What I'm looking for: Junior programming work.

What I'm NOT looking for: Front-end web development

Where I live: Mälardalen, Sweden

Where I'm looking: Anywhere really, I'm willing to travel.

When I can start: A week or two, if no relocation is required of course.

Requirements: Full time.

Can be reached via: Find me on IRC, pcn on irc.synirc.net

Pretty Cool Name fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 17, 2011

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010
It's been a while, so let's try again! Rackspace Hosting is looking to fill a stupid huge number of Linux system administrator and network administrator positions over the next 6 months or so. There are other positions available as well, but there's a great need for Linux & networking skills in particular because we simply can't hire people fast enough to keep pace with our growth.

Who we are: Rackspace Hosting is the one of the largest and most respected hosting companies. Our primary business is providing managed support for dedicated servers, but we also have a bunch of other stuff going on on the cloud (in the sense of massive shared/scalable virtualization using commodity hardware).

These particular positions are for the Enterprise segment in the dedicated hosting side. Most of our customers have relatively large configurations and we deal almost exclusively with IT folks on the support floor.

What we're looking for: Linux System Administrators and Network Security Administrators (which is just a fancy term for a network administrator). We have positions open for all skill levels except entry level. You need to have some background in whatever you're applying for.

For level 1 Linux admins, we generally look for the following on the technical side, but none of these are a 100% hard and fast requirement if you're strong in other relevant areas. Higher level positions will obviously require more in depth/broader knowledge/experience.

• Experience sysadminning on Red Hat based systems (We're almost exclusively a RHEL shop, but obviously CentOS/Scientific Linux/Oracle Linux/Fedora/whatever will be very similar).
  • Proficiency with LAMP stack applications; Apache, MySQL, PHP, etc.
  • Knowledge of internet basics; TCP/IP, DNS, etc.
  • Solid understanding of the common internet protocols and some associated services; SMTP & MTAs, POP/IMAP, DNS, HTTP, etc.
  • Experience in a hosting environment would be a huge plus.
  • RHCT/RHCSA or RHCE would also be a big plus. Rackspace loves Red Hat certs (more on this later).

I don't work in NetSec, so I can't say with as much certainty, but they're likely going to be looking for the following. Same disclaimer as above for more senior positions.

• CCNA. I was under the impression this was a requirement, but for L1 NetSec positions, it looks like they say that you must be CCNA certified within 60 days of hire. You'll probably need to be pretty solid in other areas to get in without a CCNA. Naturally, CCNA: Security, any of the CCNP exams or any other higher level certs are a huge plus.
  • Solid understanding of network fundamentals; routing, switching, OSI model, etc.
  • Basic firewall knowledge, preferably PIX/ASA.
  • Basic understanding of VPNs.
  • Basic understanding of the fundamentals of load balancing.

Non-technical skills required for both positions:

• Solid troubleshooting ability and problem solving skills.
  • Excellent communication skills, written and phone.
  • Strong self-motivation. Though you will be working very closely with other admins in a team, you need to be the kind of person is capable of learning and solving problems on your own.
  • Don't be a slobbering neckbearded goon. Rackspace puts a very high emphasis on our culture, so if you're standoffish, arrogant or don't like to work with others, don't bother.

What you'll be doing: As mentioned, we provide managed support for large (read: complex) dedicated server environments. You basically get to focus entirely on adminning (well, and working with customers, though not end users).

For Linux, we see huge variety of issues on a day to day basis. You might do something simple like create a user for a customer and then immediately turn around and work with a SAN engineer to troubleshoot some IO issues. The nice thing about working for a hosting company is that there's a huge variety of things that come our way, and we're never bored.

For NetSec, you'll be supporting all the network gear in customer environments. This usually includes any number of load balancers; Brocades, CSSs, F5s, firewalls; ASAs and a few PIXes, switches and IDSes. I don't think there's much, if any, routing involved. This includes everything from setup, configuration, troubleshooting and ongoing work. There's a nice variety, I'm sure.

What's awesome about working here: Like I mentioned above, Rackspace places a high emphasis on maintaining our company culture. We're about as laid back as you can imagine. There's no dress code (well, as long as you take a shower on the regs and don't walk around with your junk showing) and the work environment is incredibly casual. Breaks for pool, ping-pong, foosball or Street Fighter are common.

You'll be working on a small team with usually 5-10 other people in your position of varying degrees of experience. It's very collaborative.

On top of this, Rackspace has an amazing training program. We regularly run classes for a large number of things; both technical and non-technical. These are all at no cost to you. In the 18 months I've been here, Rackspace has paid for me to get my RHCE, CCNA and CISSP. For Linux dudes, if you work here, you will get an RHCE. I don't know the numbers, but nearly everyone has it. My team has 8 Linux admins; of the 8 of us, there are three without an RHCE. We employ more RHCEs than any other company with the exception of Red Hat and the US Government (as a whole). On that same note, both our first time pass rate as well as percentage of testers scoring a perfect on the exam is higher than any other company; even Red Hat itself.

We also have an RHCA program going internally. Before we started this program, there were two ways to get RHCA training: work for Red Hat or pay Red Hat. We do it internally now.

It's an overall fantastic company to work for if you're a fit for the culture.

Benefits: All positions are salary and offer 'market rates', whatever that means. L1 admins are likely looking at low 40's base salary. There's also a 10% profit sharing bonus as well as shift differentials for 2nd and 3rd shift.

Very good medical, vision and dental insurance. If you're single, you won't have to pay a dime for medical unless you want the high plan. Co-pays are good.

Everyone starts with three weeks of PTO that can be used for either sick or vacation time as well as 2 personal days a year. We also get a bunch of holidays, but as we never close, it usually works out to a volunteer basis for these. Generally volunteering results in additional time off; I managed to total about 5.5 weeks of PTO last year.

There's a bunch of other stuff as well.

Location: We're headquartered in San Antonio, TX. We also have an office in Austin, TX, and I believe they're going to start giving new hires the choice of where they want to work.

Relocation is provided if you live more than 50 miles away. I don't know the details for the current package, but for me it covered full service movers as well as a pretty hefty check up front. I don't know if this is in place, but I've also heard rumblings of what they're calling 'boomerang relo'. This basically means that they'll pay to move you to SA/Austin. If after six months or whatever, you don't like it, they'll move you back. Signing bonuses might start coming in to play too.

Start date: As soon as you want.

How to apply: Shoot me an email: derian at gmail. I'll answer any questions you might have and if I think you're a good fit, I'll put you in as a referral. This will at least guarantee you an initial call.

I can also provide more detailed job postings based on your skill level.

Full disclosure: if I refer you and you get hired, I get a referral bonus.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
It's like Texas has become the center of the IT universe. Good God, the cost of living there is so inexpensive, too.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

dolicf posted:

RackSpace

I used to work with this man, and RackSpace does sound like a very good place to work. I tried to apply for some NOC positions in Chicago, but I ended up going with another firm. If you're looking to reloc to Austin/SA though, they are really accommodating and their whole coporate culture mantra is impressive considering their size.

psydude posted:

It's like Texas has become the center of the IT universe. Good God, the cost of living there is so inexpensive, too.

I agree. I'd rather live in Austin/SA than DFW or Houston though.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Why can't it be Silicon Valley again? I just want a place to cut my teeth in for desktop support :argh:

Casull fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 19, 2011

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010

psydude posted:

For sho'. Cheap energy, lots of space and way too drat much bandwidth is probably responsible. A huge amount of hosting companies are located in TX somewhere, so that opens up a disproportionate amount of non-dev IT jobs.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Tatsujin posted:

I agree. I'd rather live in Austin/SA than DFW or Houston though.

I dunno, SA isn't bad but has lots of drawbacks. It's a big city without lots of the big city amenities. I hate the lack of direct flights to anywhere

Casull posted:

Why can't it be Silicon Valley again? I just want a place to cut my teeth in for desktop support :argh:

We're in the process of moving a huge chunk of our engineering efforts away from Silicon Valley and to Austin instead. Pay is around 20% cheaper and there isn't as much competition. Big name companies like NetApp and Cisco poaching your best engineers all the time makes life difficult.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

dolicf posted:

Rackspace
Tried to PM, but it looks like you don't have them.

I'd be interested in at least learning more about the L1 linux admin position, assuming there is more to learn than what you've mentioned.

Right now I work as billing support for a hosting company, but I spend a lot of my downtime teaching myself more from the support side. I am semi-competent with cPanel and CentOS, as well as WSP, but definitely not so much that I would feel comfortable sending out a resumé that claims I know what I am doing.

My question is this: What should I focus on strengthening (besides RHCSA) before I apply?

E: re-read, saw "you have to have some background". Don't mind me.

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 19, 2011

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010
Shoot me an email and we can talk in detail. My address is near the end of my tl;dr post.

Also, let me restate/emphasize that Linux & networking admins aren't the only positions Rackspace is hiring for. We currently have over 200 positions open worldwide. If the above listed positions aren't your bag, check out rackertalent.com and feel free to hit me up if anything catches your eye.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Great, thanks. I'll read more before asking inane questions, and then send you an email.

Network Administration is really what interests me the most, but it's also an area I'm woefully unqualified to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

dolicf posted:

Everyone starts with three weeks of PTO that can be used for either sick or vacation time as well as 2 personal days a year. We also get a bunch of holidays, but as we never close, it usually works out to a volunteer basis for these. Generally volunteering results in additional time off; I managed to total about 5.5 weeks of PTO last year.

This is a bit misleading, their policy is a bit strange (at least for someone who is accustomed to "Day 1, 5 weeks!". The PTO is actually 0 when you start and is accrued over your time with a maximum of 120 which you would hit after a year of employment. The maximum is to make sure that people use their PTO, else it will just sit at 120 permanently.

My point is don't get hired expecting to go on a vacation in the short term.

If you can work in Austin and not SA (SA is a disgusting place) then it's a fun company.

The Network Security positions are extremely simple at Level 1-2. We're talking interface no shuts, NATing IPs, writing simple F5/CSS load balance rules (:443, :80 to a pool) etc. If you have a CCNA you can pretty easily get onto that team. The Backbone team is the fun networking stuff, and is a pretty common vertical movement from Netsec.

Oh, Texas actually has one of the highest energy costs in America. RS is actually leasing datacenters outside of Texas due to this (ORD, etc). That along with Perry/Texas wanting to tax datacenters more heavily (this fell through due to Softlayer lobbying luckily; Texas House Bill 1841) is making it look less NOC friendly.

vty fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 19, 2011