Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
A lot of what's happening in the North is happening because King's Landing gives no fucks about anything beyond their own bullshit.

Jon letting wildlings settle the North is a thing that would normally have people investigating and possibly beheading him over. Instead nobody even knows it's happening because things have gone so much to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Quantify! posted:

A lot of what's happening in the North is happening because King's Landing gives no fucks about anything beyond their own bullshit.

Jon letting wildlings settle the North is a thing that would normally have people investigating and possibly beheading him over. Instead nobody even knows it's happening because things have gone so much to poo poo.

As far as I can gather, the "Gift" was a pretty unsettled area of the north, where the settlement of formerly-known-as-wildlings might not draw a lot of notice. Not to mention, after reading about how winter is taking over the north in a big way as Stannis travels south, yeah a bunch of wildlings just south of the wall seems a little thing. Who'd even notice besides the mountain clans?

After further thought on the subject of Jon's transformation, I think I may have Jon of the HBO series stuck in my cranium, blocking out the more kick-rear end Jon of the earlier books. Man, but HBO-Jon sucked.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 18, 2011

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Jon was lovely in the first book anyway.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
The "Unburnt" thing is foreshadowed some as well, e.g. Dany enjoys bathing in scalding hot water (from book 1 I think).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yes, yes we all had our refresher course in book 1 this past year thanks to the HBO show. Thanks for reminding me of the 20 page TVIV butthurt discussion on that particular minutiae after the season finale, christ that was dumb.

It was said Dany had burnt palms by the end of ADWD anyway, so she's clearly not immune to all fire, even super-magic-dragon-fire.

I don't agree that Jon or Dany became a superhero overnight because there are still massive consequences for them and those around them because they constantly overreach their grasp.

Still, it feels like it's taking forever and three days to get the plot anywhere. I know it's important that Jon settles the Gift, but we didn't need a literal procession of it. We just needed a quick paragraph "and then he spent the afternoon watching wildings come through. It was massive and majestic and terrifying and he wondered if he was doing the right thing." The amount of padding from AFFC onwards is loving absurd.

GRRM, pick a conflict for every character and ride it to the end. That's all we loving need. You've done your job and convinced us that no character is safe and there is no "true" protagonist of the books, and gotten us all to buy into your cynical borderline nihilistic worldview. Now pick a point to end, write until you get there, and let us all be done with riding the Fat Mare.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

mind the walrus posted:

Yes, yes we [...]

I have to ask: is the non-WILDCARDS portion of your avatar at all related to GRRM?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

As someone pointed out shortly before I got the WILDCARDS tag, it's Cersei and Tywin.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Saw this over on Cracked, had to share:

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

Yes, yes we all had our refresher course in book 1 this past year thanks to the HBO show. Thanks for reminding me of the 20 page TVIV butthurt discussion on that particular minutiae after the season finale, christ that was dumb.

What was the gist of this?

quote:

Still, it feels like it's taking forever and three days to get the plot anywhere. I know it's important that Jon settles the Gift, but we didn't need a literal procession of it. We just needed a quick paragraph "and then he spent the afternoon watching wildings come through. It was massive and majestic and terrifying and he wondered if he was doing the right thing." The amount of padding from AFFC onwards is loving absurd.

I might be stupidly optimistic, but I'm still hoping that the reason for pretty much every complaint about Feast/Dance, including the atrocious waiting time, is because they were never originally intended to be written. Who knows, maybe from here on in, GRRM will return to churning out awesome books every year or so.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Junkenstein posted:

What was the gist of this?

Multi-page unexciting debate on whether Dany and/or all Targs are in fact fireproof.

drkhrs2020
Jul 22, 2007
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/18/emmys-2011-supporting-act_n_968998.html

Dinklage gets the Emmy for Tyrion. Bodes well for continuing the series all the way to the end, plus promising a massive ratings boost for the next season.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
"Come back to bed and kiss me." No one had ever kissed her like Daario Naharis. "I am your queen, and I command you to gently caress me."

Good stuff. Heady stuff. I must needs wash out mine eyes with battery acid now.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Having a Fat Old man write about what a hot young girl wants in a sex partner--and you just know he consulted his wife on this to make sure it was sufficiently erotic--sure didn't feel like projection at all.

That bit where Barristan Selmy goes on about why Quentyn Martell was like mud sure didn't feel like projection either.

I have to admit I agree with him, but that didn't make it any better to read.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Fog Tripper posted:

"Come back to bed and kiss me." No one had ever kissed her like Daario Naharis. "I am your queen, and I command you to gently caress me."

:laffo: rousing commentary there! Ha-ha, this Fog Tripper sure hates the books!

Wild Cards bitch.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

mind the walrus posted:

Having a Fat Old man write about what a hot young girl wants in a sex partner--and you just know he consulted his wife on this to make sure it was sufficiently erotic--sure didn't feel like projection at all.
It's commonly known that women don't actually feel sexual desire, and that attempts to "make them want sex" in books are just written in because men fantasize that women actually like loving.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm 100% sure he wasn't drawing from experiences that the girls always want the bad boy, because as we all know that's always 100% true all the time.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Fog Tripper posted:

I read this post and I yawned. Thank you.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

mind the walrus posted:

I'm 100% sure he wasn't drawing from experiences that the girls always want the bad boy, because as we all know that's always 100% true all the time.
Here's the deal. Female characters in the books that want sex:

Cersei.
Dany.
Asha and the Sand Sluts.

It's established that Cersei uses her hoo-hah to get men to do what she wants, but she ~really loves~ Jaime. You can make arguments for and against her loving Lady Merryweather but I'm going with "she was just lonely, also Lady Merryweather was an informer for Littlefinger".

Asha is a warrior born, and has the lusts of a man.

The Sand Snakes, same thing.

Dany was established from the get-go as enjoying sex (once she got over being scared of Drogo). It's been a long time for her. She's having a very stressful time right now. It's natural for someone in her position to want to just forget their responsibilities and gently caress a good looking guy.

Or is your complaint that she should've hosed Quentyn Martell instead? I dunno, it all seems in character to me.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Is this the bad thread or did this place get neutered while I was gone?

My complaint has dick to do with Dany being out-of-character and more about the fact that GRRM--disgusting absolute fucker that he is--had to conceive all this crap and as anybody from the Bad Thread I knew would know that is grounds to gripe.

poo poo this place lost what little humor it had. Too many fresh-faces coming off a year with the show and a new book. It's like leaving a bar and coming back to find out that it's now an AA center, or vice versa when you consider ASoIAF.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

mind the walrus posted:

Is this the bad thread or did this place get neutered while I was gone?
The mods want people to post more seriously.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That explains a lot.

Ah, flippancy turned down then.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Quantify! posted:

The mods want people to post more seriously.

Thank loving God for that. The Bad Thread was ridiculous, and not in a good way at all.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Was rereading parts of the book.. and saw something about the "Dance with Dragons" being an actual event.. like the burning of the 7 armies or whatever.

So uh.. what was it?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quantify! posted:

That just shows Martin's bias against cold climates. Do you think it's a coincidence he lives in Santa Fe? As a reader who lives in a cold climate it's really annoying to see his views about the cold being bad pop up in every chapter.

it gets down into the teens in santa fe. So it is kinda cold there.

And everyone knows that cold is evil, so there. In fact, you - living in a cold part of the world - are probably evil as well.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 19, 2011

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

kcroy posted:

Was rereading parts of the book.. and saw something about the "Dance with Dragons" being an actual event.. like the burning of the 7 armies or whatever.

So uh.. what was it?

A civil war that happened about 200 years before the series, when the Targs split over who would succeed. It was the only time dragon vs dragon combat happened in Westeros, and killed off most of them.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 19, 2011

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

MikeJF posted:

A civil war that happened about 200 years before the series, when the Targs split over who would succeed. It was the only time dragon vs dragon combat happened in Westeros, and killed off most of them.

awesome thanks. was that in the main series? or do I need to get off my rear end and read the Egg and Dunk books or w/e?

edit: and would that make this title a reference to the various Targs going to war against each other as they compete for the crown!

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

kcroy posted:

awesome thanks. was that in the main series? or do I need to get off my rear end and read the Egg and Dunk books or w/e?

edit: and would that make this title a reference to the various Targs going to war against each other as they compete for the crown!
It's not the same civil war (but there are only two generations between them), the old civil war in Egg and Dunk is the Blackfyre rebellion.

The Dance with Dragon is the civil war between the rightful female heir Rhaenyra and her younger half-brother Aegon. Apparently Rhaenyra's ex-lover, the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, defied the king's will and crowned Prince Aegon instead of Rhaenyra. The dragon vs dragon warfare ended when Aegon II captured Rhaenyra and had her eaten alive by his dragon in front of one of Rhaenyra's two sons, young Aegon. Aegon II died without a heir so Rhaenyra's elder son (the one who saw his mother's death) became King Aegon III the Dragonbane. He is the one blamed for the death of the last dragon even if he apparently spent lot of money buying dragon eggs and hiring foreign maegis to make them hatch. His two sons became kings, the first one Daeron I the Young Dragon died while trying to annex Dorne, the second one being Baelor the Blessed. Both died and Aegon III's younger brother ruled only one year and his nephew Aegon "Wash her and bring her to my bed" the fourth fathered a bastard with one of Aegon the third's daughter: Daemon Blackfyre.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Sep 19, 2011

batomys
Sep 16, 2008

drkhrs2020 posted:

Dinklage gets the Emmy for Tyrion.

He'll find out soon enough, hands of gold are always cold...

batomys fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 19, 2011

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Azure_Horizon posted:

Thank loving God for that. The Bad Thread was ridiculous, and not in a good way at all.

Agreed, discussion w/r/t the actual book are much more varied and interesting now. Good postin' folks.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

YES bread posted:

Agreed, discussion w/r/t the actual book are much more varied and interesting now. Good postin' folks.

I think by the time three years have gone by after ADWD's release, with no clear date for the next book's release, that The Bad Thread will return.

That's when I just leave The Book Barn for a long, long time.

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski
does anyone else feel that john died so you could argue SOMETHING happened in this book?

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

HarveyVdarski posted:

does anyone else feel that john died so you could argue SOMETHING happened in this book?
No, nobody with half a brain thinks this.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Azure_Horizon posted:

I think by the time three years have gone by after ADWD's release, with no clear date for the next book's release, that The Bad Thread will return.

What is Bad can never die, but rises again, harder and stronger.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Fog Tripper posted:

It's enough to make you poo poo yourself bloody. Which Dany eventually provse.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

batomys posted:

He'll find out soon enough, hands of gold are always cold...

I'm confused - which one is the award and which one is Dinklage?

Edit: \/\/\/ It was actually a combination of short and the whole gold thing...you know, because he's a Lannister.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 19, 2011

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Habibi posted:

I'm confused - which one is the award and which one is Dinklage?

He's short, folks! Get it?!

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Azure_Horizon posted:

I don't think that the bad thread will return as it was before. People were passionate about the series back then, but it seems like a lot of folks lost a lot of that passion due to ADwD.

xamphear posted:

He's short, folks! Get it?!

Behold a foreshadowing of the future "bad" thread.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
I'm even more passionate about the series now that George is past the "Meereenese knot". Presumably the next book will be easier to write.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Quantify! posted:

I'm even more passionate about the series now that George is past the "Meereenese knot". Presumably the next book will be easier to write.

Presumably Dance was part-way done when AFFC rolled out, and it still took him 6 years to work it out. Not that I'm trying to be cynical, but I'm certainly not holding my breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Azure_Horizon posted:

You really think it'll take three years? We already went through this song-and-dance twice. I say two years tops.