Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

blah_blah posted:

It's a shame that there are no reasonably priced 3TB FW800 externals; I'd like the WD 3TB studio drive but it's literally twice the price of the WD 3TB USB 2.0 drive. I don't care a ton about the difference in transfer speed but I can't really afford to sacrifice the extra USB port on my MBP.

Why not get an enclosure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
I was referred to here by the Packrat thread, here was my question:

I have a friend who has this setup through Firewire 800: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/DAT+Optic/T5R5ESUF/

He needs more space, and also a second person working on it at the same time. So I'm going to build a FreeNAS machine for him with RAID-Z. Each computer has a gigabit ethernet controller, the router has gigabit ports, and so will the FreeNAS server. The two workstations are OS X machines.

Will the FreeNAS server be much faster than their current Dat Optic setup?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

Why not get an enclosure?

One might do their research about current firmware of the enclosure you're buying to make sure it supports 3TB. I have a Sans Digital TS1CT (which I love) that's currently in RMA because it only sees 2.2TB of the 3TB. Something about block size limitations.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Sidenote: One of Apple's recent knowledge base articles makes reference to a late 2011 iMac.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

From MacRumors, updates on the Thunderbolt display:

As far as compatibility, Apple notes that all Thunderbolt-enabled systems with the exception of the MacBook Air can handle two Thunderbolt displays, with a caveat for the 13-inch MacBook Pro being that the computer's internal display will not function if two Thunderbolt displays are connected. The high-end $799 Mac mini with discrete AMD graphics is also capable of running a third display via HDMI.

- MacBook Air (Mid 2011): One Thunderbolt display.

- MacBook Pro (Early 2011): Two Thunderbolt displays. Connecting a second Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch) to a 13-inch MacBook Pro will make the screen on the MacBook Pro turn black. This is expected behavior.

- iMac (Mid 2011 and Late 2011): Two Thunderbolt displays. iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011) with two Thunderbolt ports supports a total of two Thunderbolt displays regardless of which Thunderbolt port each display is connected to.

- Mac mini (Mid 2011): Two Thunderbolt displays. Mac mini with AMD graphics can support a HDMI compatible device on its HDMI port when using two Thunderbolt displays.

One other note of interest that will be a disappointment for some users is the disclosure that users will not be able to daisy chain a Mini DisplayPort display off an Apple Thunderbolt Display.

Mini DisplayPort displays will not light up if connected to the Thunderbolt port on an Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch).
The revelation is a bit of a surprise, as Mini DisplayPort displays can currently be daisy chained off other Thunderbolt peripherals. Some users had been hoping to reuse their existing Mini DisplayPort displays as part of multiple-monitor setups using the new Thunderbolt display, but will apparently be unable to do so.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/16/apple-thunderbolt-display-with-multiple-monitors/

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Anyone remember this 30 minute Apple infomercial? It used to be on all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdqe5fu8A30

I remember being amazed that the kid was writing a school report on Martin Luther King Jr and he put a postage stamp sized video clip right into the paper! And I think that's the kid from The Sandlot

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
The only thing that video does it make me happy that technology has progressed so much. I think I'm gonna go hug my iPhone.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Small White Dragon posted:

Sidenote: One of Apple's recent knowledge base articles makes reference to a late 2011 iMac.

After digging around the MacRumors thread for the TB display article, the 'late 2011' iMac is apparently just the education-only 21.5" iMac released last month. Then again, August doesn't' really seem like 'late 2011'...

e: googling 'late 2011 iMac' just takes you to the Apple tech specs for the education model, which is listed as 'late 2011'. I'm guessing its inclusion on the TB document was just an error.

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 17, 2011

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Space Racist posted:

After digging around the MacRumors thread for the TB display article, the 'late 2011' iMac is apparently just the education-only 21.5" iMac released last month. Then again, August doesn't' really seem like 'late 2011'...

And that iMac doesn't even have Thunderbolt so yeah.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

blah_blah posted:

It's a shame that there are no reasonably priced 3TB FW800 externals

I use the FW800 version of this:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

blah_blah posted:

It's a shame that there are no reasonably priced 3TB FW800 externals; I'd like the WD 3TB studio drive but it's literally twice the price of the WD 3TB USB 2.0 drive. I don't care a ton about the difference in transfer speed but I can't really afford to sacrifice the extra USB port on my MBP.

Huh? Where is there a WD 3TB FW800 drive for $400? Because their USB 2.0 model is $199.99. Disregard, I guess, if you're suffering from some weirdo exchange rate. In the US, at least, their 3TB FW800 drive is $249.99.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Even with a good USB controller (Oxford) the performance delta between FW800 and USB 2.0 is pretty large. Use FW800 external drives with Macs whenever possible. I think transferring stuff over 802.11n to my Air is faster than USB 2.0.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I came here to ask a question but instead I solved it. I haven't seen anyone else mention this at all so...

Apparently Lion makes a local copy of your time machine backups if you have a laptop. You can remove/disable this by doing `sudo tmutil disablelocal`

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Any chance I can run Portal on my 2010 Air? I know the odds are slim but thought I'd ask.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I could play it on my 2009 mini with half the GPU performance, should be fine your Air.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Any chance I can run Portal on my 2010 Air? I know the odds are slim but thought I'd ask.
Why are the odds slim? Portal isn't exactly the most hardware demanding game, and the engine has been optimized for OSX.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Why are the odds slim? Portal isn't exactly the most hardware demanding game, and the engine has been optimized for OSX.

Exactly. It'll easily be playable. I played L4D/L4D2 on mine just fine; I think I mentioned framerates in my review (somewhere on notebookreview.com).

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

coldplay chiptunes posted:

While you're quite right, Source is hardly an engine that has been optimised for OS X. Valve gets props for not taking the easy way out and putting its games in low-effort Cider wrappers, but at its heart it is still heavily targetted towards DirectX and converts everything through a translation layer to produce OpenGL commands.

Never Scroll
Aug 15, 2008

I tried portal 1 on my 2010 MBA 13 maxed out and it was barely playable. Ran great on bootcamp.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.
Has anyone tried portal or starcraft 2 on the 2011 13" MBA? I don't play either enough to have tried yet, mostly because I assume the intel graphics will look awful.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

TAKE ALL YOUR PORTAL/STARCRAFT/QBASIC GORILLAS TALK TO THE MAC GAMING THREAD

I CAN HAS MAC GAMES

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

TAKE ALL YOUR PORTAL/STARCRAFT/QBASIC GORILLAS TALK TO THE MAC GAMING THREAD

I CAN HAS MAC GAMES

Point taken. Will move there.

Appropriate question: with this belkin thunderbolt dock (among others I'm sure) coming, is there any way to do audio out through thunderbolt? I love the idea of plugging in thunderbolt and power cables and being set, but I'll still have to plug in external speakers. Is there a reasonable way (USB?) of having them connected with that single thunderbolt cable? Airtunes is an option for itunes, but it would be nice to have everything go to the speakers (I guess airfoil is a way around this problem).

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Just grab a cheap USB or Firewire audio interface and plug your speakers into that.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
All - (Cross-posted from the OS X thread because I don't know what the gently caress.)

I'm staying at Caesars Palace in Vegas for the week to attend SANS Network Security 2011, and I'm currently using the absolute shittiest wireless internet I've ever seen. I'm wondering if you guys have seen this before and possibly have a workaround.

The wireless connects just fine. What I typically do whenever I'm on a public wireless network is establish an SSH tunnel back to my house, and tunnel all of my web traffic through that connection. I never have a problem with this anywhere ever, but it managed to amplify the problems I'm having here.

It seems that the wireless connection, while maintaining its link with whatever access point(s) are around, will drop out randomly. Incidentally, I've found that I can USUALLY jump-start the connection and wake it back up by opening the AirPort menu in the menu bar. Every time you do this, it starts looking for networks in the area to populate the list in the menu. Once it completes its "Looking for Networks..." cycle, my wireless connection starts working again - but only for a few minutes until it dies.

I should note that this behavior happens in the hotel with or without the SSH tunnel.

I've had this MacBook Pro for over a year now, and I've been using Lion on it since the day of its release. I am constantly using wireless networks (both at home, at work, and out), and this is the only time I've ever seen anything like this. I'm wondering if it has to do with the sheer number of people using wireless saturating the channels, but I honestly have no idea what the real problem is or how to fix it.

Thoughts?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

In order for your machine to be heard above the din of the others, maybe you need some kind of signal booster..

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
Hi, i need help resizing an external HD. It's the HD where i keep some backups in one partition and the iTunes media folder in another. Now i need more space in the iTunes partition. I downsized the backup in disk utility but now it won't let me extend the iTunes partition when i try to drag it in the corner draggy thing.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Just grab a cheap USB or Firewire audio interface and plug your speakers into that.

Interesting. So something like this would work and not degrade the sound?

ndrake fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 19, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

ndrake posted:

Interesting. So something like this would work and not degrade the sound?

No idea about that specific one, but most USB DAC's are going to be for people who aren't happy with their onboard sound (and/or have specific needs like instrument inputs) so normally anything should be better than onboard.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

No idea about that specific one, but most USB DAC's are going to be for people who aren't happy with their onboard sound (and/or have specific needs like instrument inputs) so normally anything should be better than onboard.

Very cool, thanks for the tip. Now if only Belkin would release that thunderbolt dock before 9/30 so I could get it 50% off (coupon code FB50 if anyone needs a belkin product).

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

just_a_guy posted:

Hi, i need help resizing an external HD. It's the HD where i keep some backups in one partition and the iTunes media folder in another. Now i need more space in the iTunes partition. I downsized the backup in disk utility but now it won't let me extend the iTunes partition when i try to drag it in the corner draggy thing.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

When you downsized the first one, did you hit apply and let it process before making the other one bigger?

helium muppet
Jun 17, 2003

Once again, Alex gets the jitters.
Quick question:

I setup my parents with an Apple TV and an ipad 2.

I can stream youtube videos and shared music from their computers via the ipad2 to the apple tv. Problems is- music and video that are on the ipad don't stream to the appletv.

I pick the output to Apple TV and nothing happens.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

helium muppet posted:

Quick question:

I setup my parents with an Apple TV and an ipad 2.

I can stream youtube videos and shared music from their computers via the ipad2 to the apple tv. Problems is- music and video that are on the ipad don't stream to the appletv.

I pick the output to Apple TV and nothing happens.

Did you try 1) rebooting the iPad and 2) double tap home, swipe to the left screen(swipe right) and see if the little icon to change outputs is there?

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

Shin-chan posted:

When you downsized the first one, did you hit apply and let it process before making the other one bigger?

Yeah. I left it alone for about half an hour. And when it was done scaling up the disc was a no go.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Alright, so I made a dumbass mistake.

My Macbook's hard drive died, and when I took it to the Apple Store they told me I'd be better off buying a new one at Best Buy and installing it myself. I did that, but I couldn't find my repair discs, so I brought it in to the Apple Store again to have them install OS X for me, which they did. But they also told me I put the new hard drive in wrong

I guess I forgot the "support screws". I'm looking at it now, and the old hard drive has this little sheet cradle thing with a pulltab on it. I'm assuming this is what I was supposed to put on the new hard drive, right? I followed the official hard drive replacement guide from Apple, which never mentioned this. Of course, now I realize that guide probably assumes you're using an official Apple hard drive which comes with the thing screwed on already.

Anyway, now the drive is stuck in there and I can't get it out because there's no pulltab. Am I screwed? Did I pay $60 to brick my macbook?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

No, it could probably be nudged out once you got the top case off.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Use something like a plastic knife to pop it out, just be very careful you don't flip the drive across the room or stab through your MacBook. Any drive I've put in there flops right out if you don't have those studs in the side.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
EDIT: Ooooh, sweet, got it. Thanks, guys! :)

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 19, 2011

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Quick question. I have a late-2006 13" Macbook. I'm pretty sure the heatsink and fan are getting bad. The fan enjoys getting really loud and heats up really easily. Now I was wondering if I could just get this all fixed by purchasing AppleCare once again. Would they repair everything thats wrong with this Mac or woud they just say it's a five year old POS and that I should just buy a new laptop?

I'd much rather buy a new 13"-15" MacBook Pro for Ableton, Serato, etc. but I'm in college and money is pretty tight right now. If only I could find a job.

keevo fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 20, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

There's no way to get AppleCare on a machine that old. You'd have to bring it in for an estimate on the work, or secure the parts and do it yourself. A MacBook fan swap shouldn't be too difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
gently caress. How hard is it to swap the heatsink?

edit: i forgot i can actually look these things up. doesn't look too difficult. i'm just not sure if i should spend the time to repair this thing or if i should just start saving up for a new/used macbook pro or pc

keevo fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Sep 20, 2011