Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Mark Ingram is the former Heisman Trophy winning running back for the University of Alabama, and was the first round pick of the New Orleans Saints last April. It's always a gamble to take a rookie, but most people seem to like what Ingram brings to the table.

And don't forget his father is in prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Blackula69 posted:

And don't forget his father is in prison.

And coincidentally played for Michigan State.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Deteriorata posted:

And coincidentally played for Michigan State.

Also Packers.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
was that madden commercial just about alex smith?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Wrong topic.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember a site a while back that would rate all the games out of 5 without spoiling the scores. I'm sure it was Swedish, but doesn't matter if its not the same place or not - I just want somewhere to indicate to me which games that I didn't see live are the ones most worth watching. Anyone know a place?

LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick
Is Game Pass only available to people outside the US/ is it the only way to watch live games? Im basically trying to find the MLB.tv football version, posting from my phone in class before MNF. I'm in Colorado and we don't have Cable at our place. I gotta watch Pats game tonight.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

Mike Tysons CARFAX posted:

Is Game Pass only available to people outside the US/ is it the only way to watch live games? Im basically trying to find the MLB.tv football version, posting from my phone in class before MNF. I'm in Colorado and we don't have Cable at our place. I gotta watch Pats game tonight.

Game Pass is only available outside the US. You might be able to circumvent this by some proxy service but it'll still cost you $25/week or $280/year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
So this gif made me wonder:

For some reason (due to me reading an ESPN article I think) I was under the impression that the correct thing for a quarterback to do was the crushing pebbles thing like Peyton Manning here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-gglATD5bI

Brady is clearly bouncing, is he wrong in this instance or is this just an alternate theory of how to go about doing things? I mean I know Brady has excellent footwork in general, I guess that's why I ask.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

They accomplish the same thing, it's just a different way to do it.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

They accomplish the same thing, it's just a different way to do it.

Which is..?

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

BIGFOOT PEE BED posted:

Which is..?

Keep your feet moving so you can react to pressure and move in the pocket then make a throw while allowing you to look around the field.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Brady's just getting a little lazy in his footwork - ideally, you want to have your feet alternating, but sometimes you just gently caress up the rhythm and do both at once. It's the same in boxing, when you get lazy you'll start bouncing and then you're hosed.

It's easier to move while moving. Throw a punch standing still, and then move around and throw again. You'll be faster. Brady's doing the same thing, keeping his feet moving so he can avoid the pressure if he needs to and keeping his muscles ready to plant for a throw (that's a stupdi way to say that but you know what I mean).

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I guess I should know this, but what does "N/V" mean in the thread title?

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Ron Jeremy posted:

I guess I should know this, but what does "N/V" mean in the thread title?

News and Views.

ch1mp
Oct 4, 2004

Searched, but did not see an answer. Is there any way to watch live NFL games on the internet on a laptop - not phone or tablet? Cost not a consideration. Actually, I might even buy a tablet if that's the only way.

Evoq
Jul 2, 2007

ch1mp posted:

Searched, but did not see an answer. Is there any way to watch live NFL games on the internet on a laptop - not phone or tablet? Cost not a consideration. Actually, I might even buy a tablet if that's the only way.

If you want a live game youre probably going to have to go with pulling up a stream from the game day threads.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ch1mp posted:

http://www.firstrowsports.tv/sport/american-football.html

http://forum.wiziwig.eu/threads/60233-Streaming-2011-NFL-WEEK-2

http://www.atdhenet.tv/

http://chanfeed.com/

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ch1mp posted:

Try those free streams Deteriorata linked first. If you're not happy with that you can try http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/nflstonline/overview

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER
what is on the clipboard

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

atlas of bugs posted:

what is on the clipboard

Denny's menu for after the game.

ch1mp
Oct 4, 2004

Thanks guys - got to finally watch the vikings - oh wait....

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I was watching the 'Noles game the other night, and I saw that hit where the Florida player caught the ball and got his head sandwiched. I turned the channel because the first part of the Belichick thing was playing and I wanted to see it, so I was wondering if the said what happened to the guy that got rocked? When he hit the ground, I noticed his arms and one of his legs stuck up in the air, and I've heard that's a sign of a concussion.

Also, when watching college ball, I sometimes hear commentators call a player a true freshmen. What exactly does that mean? The only meaning I can make out of it is that the player is their first year of college, versus a player that has to do their freshmen year over again. But I wouldn't think that would happen, since don't most college programs hold their players to academic standards they need to meet if they want to play? I would think basically flunking your freshman year would mean no playtime for you.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

quote:

Redshirt is a term used in American college athletics that refers to a delay or suspension of an athlete's participation in order to lengthen his or her period of eligibility. Typically, a student's athletic eligibility in a given sport is four seasons, a number derived from the four years of academic classes that are normally required to obtain a bachelor's degree at an American college or university. However, a student-athlete may be offered the opportunity to redshirt for one year, which allows the athlete to spread those four years of eligibility over five years. In a redshirt year, a student athlete may attend classes at the college or university, practice with an athletic team, and dress for play but he or she may not compete during the game. Using this mechanism, a student athlete has up to five academic years to use the four years of eligibility, thus creating the concept of the "fifth-year senior."

So a true freshman is someone playing their first year of eligibility in their first year of university, as opposed to someone who was redshirted

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Detective Thompson posted:

I was watching the 'Noles game the other night, and I saw that hit where the Florida player caught the ball and got his head sandwiched. I turned the channel because the first part of the Belichick thing was playing and I wanted to see it, so I was wondering if the said what happened to the guy that got rocked? When he hit the ground, I noticed his arms and one of his legs stuck up in the air, and I've heard that's a sign of a concussion.
They took him out on a stretcher, but by the end of the game he ended up walking back out on the sidelines.

quote:

Also, when watching college ball, I sometimes hear commentators call a player a true freshmen. What exactly does that mean? The only meaning I can make out of it is that the player is their first year of college, versus a player that has to do their freshmen year over again. But I wouldn't think that would happen, since don't most college programs hold their players to academic standards they need to meet if they want to play? I would think basically flunking your freshman year would mean no playtime for you.

In college, you can play for four years, but you have five years to use it. So you get one "redshirt" year that you get to be on the team/in school, but don't actually get to participate in contents.

When they are referring to a "true freshman" they mean a player that is in his first year of school. A "redshirt freshman" is a sophomore academically, but redshirted his first year, so he still has four years of eligibility left.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Interesting. Thanks dudes!

terrin
May 10, 2005

Detective Thompson posted:

When he hit the ground, I noticed his arms and one of his legs stuck up in the air, and I've heard that's a sign of a concussion.

Fencing response

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fencing_response

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

tk posted:

They took him out on a stretcher, but by the end of the game he ended up walking back out on the sidelines.

In college, you can play for four years, but you have five years to use it. So you get one "redshirt" year that you get to be on the team/in school, but don't actually get to participate in contents.

When they are referring to a "true freshman" they mean a player that is in his first year of school. A "redshirt freshman" is a sophomore academically, but redshirted his first year, so he still has four years of eligibility left.

Additionally you can get conditional extra years for things like medical reasons (injured and miss [almost] the whole season, for example) - see Case Keenum, heir to Kevin Kolb at UH and 6th year senior :v:

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
What's up with this QBR thing everyone in the N/V thread is railing over every week?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Strange Matter posted:

What's up with this QBR thing everyone in the N/V thread is railing over every week?
Full thread on its introduction.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3428802

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Strange Matter posted:

It's ESPN's new quarterback rating system that is percentile-based (0-100) instead of just numbers based (QB rating maxes at the arbitrary number of 158.3). It's supposed to take into account the individual plays they were involved in and what the game situation was at the time (yes, there's a component called "clutch" in it), thus being better than the purely stat-line based traditional QB rating system.

But, it's backed by Trent Dilfer so it's probably dumb.

Seriously, it's produced more believable ratings than passer rating that I can see, but without the formula being revealed it's still just black voodoo magic and nobody really likes that.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

QBR is really stupid though, it comes up with some bullshit like Matt Ryan being a similar quarterback to Philip Rivers. Also they said Kerry Collins' performance last year was statistically similar to that of Ben Roethlisberger. gently caress QBR.

e: crosspostin'

Jethro posted:

I think QBR was best described as what would happen if the Football Outsiders had dozens of unpaid interns but also a lot less integrity.

Blackula69 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 19, 2011

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
What are the blackout rules on Monday Night Football games? Week 4 has the Peyton-less Colts going to Tampa Bay which didn't sell out a single home game last year.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

skaboomizzy posted:

What are the blackout rules on Monday Night Football games? Week 4 has the Peyton-less Colts going to Tampa Bay which didn't sell out a single home game last year.

They're the same as the blackout rules any other time. MNF can get blacked out.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dominion posted:

They're the same as the blackout rules any other time. MNF can get blacked out.

In that case, wouldn't ESPN just buy out all of the tickets?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Can anyone explain the difference between Offsides, Neutral Zone Infraction, and Encroachment?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Blitz7x posted:

Can anyone explain the difference between Offsides, Neutral Zone Infraction, and Encroachment?

I believe it's this:

Offsides: Defense lines up legally, jumps across without making contact with any offensive player before the snap.

Neutral Zone Infraction: Defense lines up illegally, across the line of scrimmage.

Encroachment: Defense jumps offsides, contacting the offensive player or causing a false start.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

SteelAngel2000 posted:

I believe it's this:

Offsides: Defense lines up legally, jumps across without making contact with any offensive player before the snap.

Neutral Zone Infraction: Defense lines up illegally, across the line of scrimmage.

Encroachment: Defense jumps offsides, contacting the offensive player or causing a false start.

Well now I'm confused: What does the defense do to 'line up illegally'?

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007

Vander posted:

Well now I'm confused: What does the defense do to 'line up illegally'?

If they are across the line of scrimmage (like, they are on the wrong side of the ball), they are lined up illegally. That's what he meant I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

ChocolatePancake posted:

If they are across the line of scrimmage (like, they are on the wrong side of the ball), they are lined up illegally. That's what he meant I think.

Yeah, this.

• Locked thread