Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

2 fat 4 my lambo posted:

i too hope someone bets on jones at -500 odds

Good. Im glad that you also want people to have fun and make a tidy sum of profit to the tune of 1/5th of their original investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2 fat 4 my lambo
Oct 9, 2003

WEED POOP
the best part of betting on jones is knowing youre betting on a cool guy who likes to have fun

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

-500 for jones sucks. I got -500 for floyd on saturday.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

ForbiddenWonder posted:

-500 for jones sucks. I got -500 for floyd on saturday.

And he won. Maybe if you had been more confident and bet 5x as much, the "odds" wouldnt have mattered so much.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

i'll take the over/under on that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I don't think Rampage is going to win, but seeing sites offering >+400 on him is semi tempting. I don't think his odds are that long to win this fight. He's a big underdog, but he's still a hard to finish guy with lots of power.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

HATE MONDAYS posted:

And he won. Maybe if you had been more confident and bet 5x as much, the "odds" wouldnt have mattered so much.

that is how I used to bet and it worked pretty well for a while. I'd throw down a lot of money on GSP and just collect a little bit of earnings on it, and use those earnings to make the riskier bets.

until one day I bet big on bj penn against a young up and coming kid named frankie and ever since then I haven't bet big on anybody or liked new jersey as much

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Bubba Smith posted:

that is how I used to bet and it worked pretty well for a while. I'd throw down a lot of money on GSP and just collect a little bit of earnings on it, and use those earnings to make the riskier bets.

until one day I bet big on bj penn against a young up and coming kid named frankie and ever since then I haven't bet big on anybody or liked new jersey as much

I used to do this too until Matt Serra became welterweight champion and then I didn't bet on MMA for a long time. I have forgotten this lesson though so I will keep making awful decisions with my money.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

I used to do this too until Matt Serra became welterweight champion and then I didn't bet on MMA for a long time. I have forgotten this lesson though so I will keep making awful decisions with my money.

Matt Serra paid me good money. :smug:

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

+400 on Ramapge

Watch a snitch get destroyed and get $500, I'll take that :smug:

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
I don’t expect much to come out of this; I’m merely just pointing out something that I found interesting in the MMA betting topic. Someone posted this article a while ago UFC Gambling Analysis: Breaking Down 2011 Underdog Performance which broke down all the underdogs in 2011 up to that point (Aug 14). There isn’t much all that fascinating about the article and the writer really doesn’t have a purpose to it, though there is one point of data that should be looked at.

+150 to +199 7-28-1 (.194)

While the writer does briefly acknowledge this statistic, he doesn’t really understand it. It basically says that underdogs in this range win 19% of the time. That means that the favourites win 81% of the time. In this range, the underdog’s polar partner would usually be around -180 to -260, these equate to winning percentages of 64% to 72%, respectively. That means we would only need a winning percentage of 72% to make money but we are getting 81%. 9% percent doesn’t sound all that much, but let’s just look at it a bit more.

We should be betting on the favourites to whoever the underdogs are at +150 to +199.

Let’s do some easy math. Taking real odds on an upcoming right, Ben Rothwell (-275) vs Mark Hunt (+195), as this is the most extreme example of the odds not being in the bettors’ favour (+195 is most likely the highest odd you will get as the odds usually move in units of 5 and the next level of +200 would be out of our range). Now apply these values to the data, we will bet $275 to win $100, and ignore the draw as it is basically negligible. 28 wins equals +$2800 (28 times $100 profit). 7 loses equals -$1925 (7 times -$275 loses). Putting the two together nets us at +$875 profit. So out of 35 total fights, equalling $9625 (35 total fights multiplied by $275) total betted, that makes for a return of 9.1% ($875/$9625), slightly better than your average 5% bank savings account.

That was an extreme example that made every bet -275, but the average most likely would run around -220. Through the same method as above, the return would be +$1700 off of a total investment of $7700, making the return on investment 22.1%.

However, keep in mind that this doesn’t mean that it will hold up in the future from this point on; it could get better, it could get worse, or stay relatively the same (groundbreaking, I know). This is a merely a data trend, so if you are a believer that the past can usually predict the future, this is one of the better ways to bet.

It kind of, sort of, maybe makes sense why this category can be so lopsided. The range before is fights that are as close to 50/50 without actually being a coin flip. The results reflect this going 18-16, slight slight slight edge to the underdogs. The range after is where the obvious favourites and underdogs in a match start to appear with the odds makers, public, and bettors. Our category of focus is where it is apparent where the fight should go, who the favourite should be, but it’s still too close to put up the farm on either guy.

This means you would have to bet every fight that falls into this category to get the most consistent result. Your best bet would be to get the lines early or wait until their underdog pairing drops to as close to +150 as possible without falling out of range. This also means that the fun and emotion of betting is taken out, which, let’s face it, is pretty much the only reason we like to bet and exactly why you shouldn’t bet on MMA. Not to mention you’re left with cheering for assholes like Ben Rothwell and Nate Diaz to make up your percentage.

By no means am I an expert in the topic, or believer in system betting, I just find it a bit interesting. I hope my math is right, or else this will be a bit embarrassing.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
that's a lot of words, just bet on the guy who seems like a cooler dude

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

maffew buildings posted:

that's a lot of words, just bet on the guy who seems like a cooler dude

We did and it led to $640 dollars lost on Mark Coleman.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
My only great regret in life is I did not just send that 20 dollars to Mark Coleman in an envelope.

I remember mma daydreaming about telling my friends I just made 62 dollars on Mark Coleman beating randy couture.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bubba Smith posted:

My only great regret in life is I did not just send that 20 dollars to Mark Coleman in an envelope.

I remember mma daydreaming about telling my friends I just made 62 dollars on Mark Coleman beating randy couture.

I told my friends who were staying over that night that if Coleman won I was paying for dinner the next day. They suggested that if I really had faith in Coleman I would pay for dinner before the PPV, but luckily it was my birthday and they remembered they had already agreed to buy me dinner for that. Not that I would have bought them dinner ahead of time, but it was lucky I didn't have my faith in Coleman tested.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
I dropped $20 on Coleman and convinced all 4 of my MMA friends that Mark Coleman, was in fact going to wrestle Randy into dust.

Boy was my face red.

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
This thread has inspired me to bet on MMA, which betting site would you recommend for people living in Canada?

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Devoz posted:

This thread has inspired me to bet on MMA, which betting site would you recommend for people living in Canada?
I use bodog.ca

Havent had any problems withdrawing money.
All deposits have to be a minimum of $20 I think

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!
via middleeasy: http://zooie.wordpress.com/2011/09/21/betting-on-ufc-fights-a-statistical-data-analysis/

guy with a spreadsheet posted:

Top UFC Insights

Fighters older than 32 years of age will more likely lose
This was validated in 173 out of 277 (62%) fights*

Fighters with more than 6 TKO victories fighting opponents older than 32 years of age will more likely win
This was validated in 47 out of 60 (78%) fights*

Fighters from Japan will more likely lose
This was validated in 36 out of 51 (71%) fights*

Fighters who have lost 2 or more KOs will more likely lose
This was validated in 54 out of 84 (64%) fights*

Fighters with 3x or more decision wins and are greater than 3% taller than their opponents will more likely win
This was validated in 32 out of 38 (84%) fights*

Fighters who have won 3x or more decisions than their opponent will more likely win
This was validated in 142 out of 235 (60%) fights*

Fighters with no wrestling background vs fighters who do have one more likely lose
This was validated in 64 out of 90 (71%) fights*

Fighters fighting opponents with 3x or less decision wins and are on a 6 fight (or better) winning streak more likely win
This was validated in 30 out of 39 (77%) fights*

Fighters younger than their opponents by 3 or more years in age will more likely win
This was validated in 165 out of 278 (59%) fights*

Fighters who haven’t fought in more than 210 days will more likely lose
This was validated in 162 out of 276 (59%) fights*

Fighters taller than their opponents by 3% will more likely win
This was validated in 159 out of 274 (58%) fights*

Fighters who have lost less by submission than their opponents will more likely win
This was validated in 75 out of 119 (63%) fights*

Fighters who have lost 6 or more fights will more likely lose
This was validated in 172 out of 291 (60%) fights*

Fighters who have 18 or more wins and never had a 2 fight losing streak more likely win
This was validated in 79 out of 126 (63%) fights*

Fighters who’ve lose back to back fights will more likely lose
This was validated in 197 out of 362 (54%) fights

Fighters with 0 TKO victories will more likely lose
This was validated in 90 out of 164 (55%) fights

Fighters fighting opponents out of Greg Jackson’s camp will more likely lose
This was validated in 38 out of 63 (60%) fights

Top Insights over All Fights

Fighters with 15 or more wins that have 50% less losses than their opponents will more likely win
This was validated in 239 out of 307 (78%) fights*

Fighters fighting American opponents will more likely win
This was validated in 387 out of 605 (64%) fights*

Fighters with 2x more (or better) wins than their opponents and those opponents lost their last fights will more likely win
This was validated in 709 out of 1049 (68%) fights*

Fighters who’ve lost their last 4 fights in a row will more likely lose
This was validated in 173 out of 255 (68%) fights*

Fighters currently on a 3 fight (or better) winning streak will more likely win
This was validated in 1172 out of 1884 (62%) fights*

Fighters with 3x or more wins than their opponents will more likely win
This was validated in 1395 out of 2387 (58%) fights*

Fighters who have lost 7 or more times will more likely lose
This was validated in 1305 out of 2299 (57%) fights*

Fighters with no jiu jitsu in their background versus fighters who do have it more likely lose
This was validated in 334 out of 568 (59%) fights*

Fighters who have lost by submission 5 or more times will more likely lose
This was validated in 580 out of 986 (59%) fights*

Fighters in the Middleweight division who fought their last fight more recently will more likely win
This was validated in 272 out of 446 (61%) fights*

Fighters in the Lightweight division fighting 6 foot tall fighters (or higher) will more likely win
This was validated in 50 out of 83 (60%) fights

one of you needs to plunk down a bunch of money using one of these statistics and applying it to every fight on the card Saturday and report back to us on your findings

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

And here I wondered what I was going to do with my Thursday. Thanks, ATJ!

Edit: Not that I'm going to use real money, I should stress.

Remora fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 22, 2011

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
welp that last one just killed my MMA career.

your heart
Oct 24, 2010

beating right next to me

Agent Tough Juice posted:

one of you needs to plunk down a bunch of money using one of these statistics and applying it to every fight on the card Saturday and report back to us on your findings

I am super lazy but if someone is able to figure out what fighters this seemingly flawless theory supports, I will happily put 10 bucks on each fight.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Xguard86 posted:

welp that last one just killed my MMA career.

Same

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I think I did this right. Mostly. I didn't factor in the wrestling or jiu-jitsu rules because I don't know fighters that well. If somebody who is more versed can supply that information, I'll go back and edit it in.

Te Huna (59.83%) vs Romero
Takeya (53.08%) vs Escovedo
Assuncao (59.14%) vs Yagin
Ring (60.83%) vs Boetsch
Ferguson (54%) vs Riley
Rothwell (55.13%) vs Hunt
Diaz (51.33%) vs Gomi
Browne (52.33%) vs Broughton
Hughes vs Koscheck (50.2%)
Jones (56.61%) vs Rampage

No idea why it favored red corner like that.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Remora posted:

I think I did this right. Mostly. I didn't factor in the wrestling or jiu-jitsu rules because I don't know fighters that well. If somebody who is more versed can supply that information, I'll go back and edit it in.

Ring (60.83%) vs Boetsch
Ferguson (54%) vs Riley
Diaz (51.33%) vs Gomi

that looks about right to me. though if the percentages are supposed to be their chances of winning then some of them are really bad bets, ie koscheck having supposedly slightly more than 50% chance of winning yet being down as a -500 favorite on the books

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!
huh I was thinking just using one of those rules to make all your bets but this is interesting too

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
MoneyBall of MMA right here. We'll all be retiring to Palm Springs off our fat winnngs soon.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

I call not being played by Jonah Hill

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
statistics are bad and dumb and gomi is going to win

your heart
Oct 24, 2010

beating right next to me

Remora posted:

Ring (60.83%) vs Boetsch
Ferguson (54%) vs Riley
Diaz (51.33%) vs Gomi

These were all pretty much my picks anyway. I would normally chuck some money on people like Hunt because of oceanic pride and all that, but this time I will bet purely by statistics. Except for Jones V Rampage. Rampage all the way.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Well, ELO says Jackson and Gomi should win, so maybe those numbers will make you both happy?

Te Huna vs Romero (50.4%)
Mizugaki (55%) vs Escovedo
Assuncao (50.7%) vs Yagin
Ring (52.3%) vs Boetsch
Ferguson vs Riley (53.7%)
Rothwell (75.7%) vs Hunt
Diaz vs Gomi (69.5%)
Browne (72.1%) vs Broughton
Hughes vs Koscheck (55%)
Jones vs Rampage (62.1%)

not even if sober
Jun 20, 2006

I ain't no bitch.
$15 on Rampage at +444 cause those odds are out of wack

$70 on Koscheck at -420 cause I'm gonna need to make up my lost $15 somehow and no way Koscheck doesn't win

Doctor Nick
Dec 27, 2003

Korbal posted:

$15 on Rampage at +444 cause those odds are out of wack

$70 on Koscheck at -420 cause I'm gonna need to make up my lost $15 somehow and no way Koscheck doesn't win

this thread is going to be really funny in a few days

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Doctor Nick posted:

this thread is going to be really funny in a few days

Really funny because we're all gonna be making mad money on Rampage. :colbert:

Fastbreak
Jul 4, 2002
Don't worry, I had ten bucks.
After Ellenberger paid me off, I figure Rampage might do the same, +453 is too attractive, put 75 on it.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Really funny because we're all gonna be making mad money on Rampage. :colbert:

Jones is a stylistic nightmare for him, he's going to lose.

the aftermath
Jul 20, 2002

Things Fall Apart
Alexis Vila at +160 tonight.

Crusher/Harris parlay.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
"Fighters with no wrestling background vs fighters who do have one more likely lose
This was validated in 64 out of 90 (71%) fights"

hmmmm, but I thought wrestling ruined 100% of things?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

MrSmokes posted:

Jones is a stylistic nightmare for him, he's going to lose.

"Rampage has no avenue to victory in this fight against Machida." Dude killed a baby and got away with it scott free. And he's not an OB/GYN/Planned Parenthood doc. He'll find a way to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the aftermath
Jul 20, 2002

Things Fall Apart

Eat This Glob posted:

"Rampage has no avenue to victory in this fight against Machida." Dude killed a baby and got away with it scott free. And he's not an OB/GYN/Planned Parenthood doc. He'll find a way to win.
That was a somewhat questionable decision, and Rampage is fighting a guy with the wingspan the size of a Boeing 777 this time.