Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So, a sample of Metallica and Lou Reed's collaboration has been released.

I can't get over how awful this is. What audience would want to listen to this? I'm all for musical experimentation but after the awfulness of S&M it's obvious they don't know how to mix musical styles together.

Then again, if I was in their position with my own studio and fuckoff money, I'd record all kinds of wacky poo poo, just because I could. That's the only explanation I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
New Machine Head is very very loving good. Though not sure how well that goes over in this thread. But yeah check it out! And that Metallica Lou Reed poo poo, my god.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Monkeytime posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I can't imagine them qualifying for actual refugee status (they're from South Africa, not Zimbabwe or Syria), so are you referring to some sort of "everyone move to the States" movement?

It's kind of complicated, but the vocalist, Barry was assaulted outside the club he owned down here a while back in a robbery gone wrong. It left him in a critical condition and very shaken up (as well as his whole family).
They went through this group A.F.A.R. (Alliance for Artist Rescue) who have helped out guys in Acrassicauda and a dude from Iran.

Apparently they're basically on a "holiday" there and are completely at the mercy of the people hosting them with regards to money etc. They cannot earn money so any proceeds they make from gigs obviously go into someone else's account. They've effectively relocated but are far from being US citizens.

I find it a bit of a sore point because Barry's situation was a bit of a freak incident. Contrary to what A.F.A.R's Facebook page and a lot of privileged white people down here will tell you, we are not under siege or "at risk" any more than anyone else. The write up on their page about South Africa is kind of disgusting really.

But hey, they took the opportunity and now they are on the cusp of really going places up there, so they have my support.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Wow, that Metallica/Lou Reed sample is pure poo poo. What were they thinking?

Ps. The new Mastodon leaked. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but wanted to give a heads up to those who are down with album leaks.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
New Mastodon is pretty drat amazing as well.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

So the new Mastodon leaked. I'm halfway through the album and so far it's been really disappointing. The drums are fine and certainly more engaging than in Crack The Skye, but the vocal and guitar melodies seem directionless and unappealing. It's less proggy and slightly heavier than Crack The Skye but almost all the songs lack any attention grabbing hooks or riffs. Overall the songwriting just doesn't sound very thought out, or perhaps even too thought out, as if they tried desperately not to sound like their last couple albums. Many of these guitar riffs are just collections of notes without any real impact on the listener.

Edit: and they keep using the same loving sustained-note arpeggiated scales that they've been using since Remission. Sure it helps give them that 'Mastodon sound' but it's become really tired and boring by now.

d0grent fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 19, 2011

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There is really a metal band named Treblinka? Classy.

Treblinka is Tiamat before a name change

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

Vargatron posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ip_Dt-yWbs
The true progenitors of viking metal...

BEHOLD THE HAMMEEEEERRRRRRR!!!!

Lightning strikes.
Lightning strikes again.
Spotlight on my junk.
Your retinas burn-en'

Also, you forgot about Viking. It has to be Viking metal if the name of the band is Viking.:colbert:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There is really a metal band named Treblinka? Classy.

Why does this surprise you? Think of anything even remotely offensive and there will be a metal band named after it in some way.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

d0grent posted:

So the new Mastodon leaked. I'm halfway through the album and so far it's been really disappointing. The drums are fine and certainly more engaging than in Crack The Skye, but the vocal and guitar melodies seem directionless and unappealing. It's less proggy and slightly heavier than Crack The Skye but almost all the songs lack any attention grabbing hooks or riffs. Overall the songwriting just doesn't sound very thought out, or perhaps even too thought out, as if they tried desperately not to sound like their last couple albums. Many of these guitar riffs are just collections of notes without any real impact on the listener.
I was worried this would be the case. The interviews I've seen about the album seem to say that they were trying to just have a good time and be jokey and childish about things. A good way to depart from the seriousness of Crack The Skye, but I'm sure a lot of people will take it as "Mastodon have lost their edge" and not, "Mastodon are just having a good time with this one."

Still haven't listened, but I'll post back with my impressions later this afternoon.

Edit: I'm about halfway through right now. I think it's going to take a bit of time to grow on me, because it's way different from their other albums, but I can definitely see what they were going for.

Edit2: Three times through the album and it's already grown on me a lot. Even the jokey songs are coming around. I think Blasteroid and Bedazzled Fingernails are my favorites right now.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 20, 2011

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

MrBling posted:

Why does this surprise you? Think of anything even remotely offensive and there will be a metal band named after it in some way.

:raise: Hmmmmmmmmm.....

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Rectal_Smegma/3540264690

Yup.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

aliencowboy posted:

:raise: Hmmmmmmmmm.....

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Rectal_Smegma/3540264690

Yup.

Only a matter of time until Santorum becomes a grind band name.

Do it. Google Santorum.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Petrychor - The first Petrychor EP is absolutely amazing, but his second release he kinda went a astray from I was hoping it was going to be. You might like them though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUZtULEa8Ps

This is absolutely amazing. The production seems different to me. Not sure if it's because of youtube or if it's a sound they were going for as it seems really, i don't know, hollow? Like an over compressed mp3 that lost a lot of quality. I wish it was a little clearer to hear all that's going on. Love it though and am glad to have discovered them and look forward to my own copy of the album.

Along with Agalloch I've liked Swallow the Sun, if you hadn't listened to them yet. Hope is my favorite album of theirs.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

On the topic of offensive metal bands, here's a classic (possibly :nws:): http://i.imgur.com/QqZYq.gif

SEXFUCK

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
I still get uncomfortable thinking that I once had Buchenwald Oven (unknowingly) on my computer. :smith:

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Just saw on facebook that Zoroaster is being added to those Kvelertak/Skeletonwitch tour dates

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

QPZIL posted:

Only a matter of time until Santorum becomes a grind band name.

Do it. Google Santorum.

You're referring to Senator Rick Santorum aren't you.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

You're referring to Senator Rick Santorum aren't you.

So is the fluid.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
New Mastodon should have been an EP, maybe. It's probably 2:1 cool poo poo:throwaway riffs. It's a grower like every other mastodon album, and I've enjoyed it both listens, but it's not blowing me away like the last 4.

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 20, 2011

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Attention metal thread:

The latest Brutal Truth album is awesome and heavy as poo poo. That is all.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Nam Taf posted:

With Oden On Our Side and Versus the World are their best albums.

You misspelled "The Avenger" twice, are you drunk?

But yeah, all Amon Amarth albums are a bit samey, they all have about two completely excellent tracks on them, and then a bunch that feel like filler.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
The new Anthrax isn't bad at all. Joey sounds like he can still go.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I like the new Mastodon a whole lot but then the only other album of theirs I really got into was Crack the Skye because I'm not very true metal.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for whatever the hell genre The Hunter / Crack The Skye are?

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Stoat posted:

I like the new Mastodon a whole lot but then the only other album of theirs I really got into was Crack the Skye because I'm not very true metal.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for whatever the hell genre The Hunter / Crack The Skye are?

If you like The Hunter you should definitely get Baroness' Blue Record, if you don't already have it. And in that case shame on you.

vvv Torche is similar too, though I never really liked them. And (don't hit me) Black Tongue in particular reminds me of The Sword.

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 20, 2011

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Stoat posted:

Check out Baroness, Kylesa, Zoroaster, Black Pyramid.

Yaku
Dec 7, 2010

Stoat posted:

Baroness.

edit: Welp read above.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
Echoing the Baroness love. Red Album and Blue Record are both fantastic, although I need to spout some love for their EPs as well: First, Second, and A Grey Sigh in a Flower Husk (a split with Unpersons). They're all fantastic.

Also, I'm enjoying the new Mastodon so far, but it's certainly different. But then, I like different.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

My enjoyment of the new Mastodon album has increased immensely after removing The Creature Lives from the playlist.

Dry Bone Valley is like an awesome Alice in Chains song.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Really like Blasteroid. I dig the bluesy riff and it sounds almost poppy at parts.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

plester1 posted:

My enjoyment of the new Mastodon album has increased immensely after removing The Creature Lives from the playlist.

Dry Bone Valley is like an awesome Alice in Chains song.

Ha, that's my favorite song. The Creature Lives.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Polegrinder posted:

Ha, that's my favorite song. The Creature Lives.

Creature Lives turned me off after the first time I heard it, but I like it more every time. The only track I think I don't particularly like is The Hunter, which just sounds like a Crack The Skye outtake.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I don't get it. I agree it sounds like an Alice in Chains record (even though I like Black Give Way to Blue better). What's with this "grower" business? If I don't like an album to begin with, it's usually just because I didn't think it wasn't very good to begin with. The album is a mediocre rock album. This whole "give it a chance because it's Mastodon" crap is pretty lame.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

metachronos posted:

Really like Blasteroid. I dig the bluesy riff and it sounds almost poppy at parts.

Yea, it sounds pretty upbeat and, like you said, almost poppy, but the lyrics are sort of creepy, which just makes it even better.

DocMcgillicuddy
Jul 24, 2005

Stop! You need a new routine you've been on this one for almost a month man.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I don't get it. I agree it sounds like an Alice in Chains record (even though I like Black Give Way to Blue better). What's with this "grower" business? If I don't like an album to begin with, it's usually just because I didn't think it wasn't very good to begin with. The album is a mediocre rock album. This whole "give it a chance because it's Mastodon" crap is pretty lame.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think he means upon hearing it again he likes it more. I hated Crack the Skye when it came out because it wasn't Blood Mountain. But now I could listen to that poo poo on repeat for hours. Most of my favorite albums and movies I didn't really like that much when I first heard or saw them.

But whatevs I can definitely see a lot of people not really being into this one.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

New Mastodon owns. I think Dry Bone Valley is my favorite.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I'm surprised at the reception this thread is having with the new Mastodon album, considering how much negative feedback I remember reading for Crack The Skye.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

DocMcgillicuddy posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think he means upon hearing it again he likes it more. I hated Crack the Skye when it came out because it wasn't Blood Mountain. But now I could listen to that poo poo on repeat for hours. Most of my favorite albums and movies I didn't really like that much when I first heard or saw them.

But whatevs I can definitely see a lot of people not really being into this one.

I'm the same way. poo poo, it's how I got into black metal: I listened to Burzum, hated it, then literally two years later it somehow ended up in my random playlist and came up during a long drive and I just about crashed my car because I was too busy rocking to drive.

uncle jimbo posted:

vvv Torche is similar too, though I never really liked them. And (don't hit me) Black Tongue in particular reminds me of The Sword.

If you care whether other people approve of your music you either don't get metal, or get it way better than me. I'm not sure which.

VVV Edit: I basically agree with this. I doesn't make me :aaa: but I'm definitely not turning it off either.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 21, 2011

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
I don't think a lot of the people who disliked Crack the Skye have bothered commenting on the new one. I really dig it, personally. I think it's a fun record. Nothing particularly amazing or inventive but I keep wanting to go back and listening to different songs. But then I'm a big lover of this stoner/sludge-influenced pop-metal for whatever reason.

smile.jpg
Jun 15, 2010

I really like the new Mastodon record. It might be a bit unfocused compared to their previous stuff but it does have some really thundering songs and some good catchy tunes, like Curl of the Burl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Not to mention Curl of the Burl is an amazing name.