Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

EightBit posted:

I have a WeatherTop kind of hill that I am fortifying. I already have the access limited to a retracting staircase, but I'm wondering how to ender-proof the landing without having to swim. Some kind of zigzag bridge that mobs can't just luck across? Such a frustrating mob :notch:
Continue your line of thinking with a retractable bridge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Jelly posted:

You should always have a bridge that drops into a pool of water.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

I've run MCpatcher, and it's definitely working (I have the custom water/lava/biome shading, etc), but while spiders are properly textured now, I'm still getting pure white endermen.

edit: apparently there was a more recently updated version of MCPatcher than the one I had. Giving that a go now.

2nd edit: nope, still got bugged Endermen with the latest version of MCPatcher.

edit: apparently it's just one of the Painterly alternate skins that's bugged ("classic" IIRC). Changed to one of the others and redownloaded the pack, and now they work fine. Odd.

arhra fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 19, 2011

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Jervas Dudley posted:

It looks like someone wrote a detailed explanation of hunger on the wiki. This should clear up some of the confusion. The biggest detail is "food saturation" which is an invisible variable raised by food that is depleted before the visible food level. This is why the meter seems to tick down more slowly from full. If both the food level and the food saturation level are full than it takes the same amount of activity to lose the first half a point as it does to lose all the points.

Different foods increase the food saturation level different amounts. Cooked pork, steaks, and mushroom stew all restore 4 hams. Pork and steak both add 12.8 to your FSL, but mushroom stew only adds 9.6.

I think that's a cool touch. Healthy foods like meat, bread, and melons give a lot of saturation relative to how much they fill your hunger bar, while unhealthy food, raw meat, and rotten flesh barely keep you full. Cookies give you almost nothing, for instance. Also the system made golden apples better too. Not enough to justify spending 72 gold on, but at least it keeps you full for twice as long as a steak.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

PalmTreeFun posted:

I think that's a cool touch. Healthy foods like meat, bread, and melons give a lot of saturation relative to how much they fill your hunger bar, while unhealthy food, raw meat, and rotten flesh barely keep you full. Cookies give you almost nothing, for instance. Also the system made golden apples better too. Not enough to justify spending 72 gold on, but at least it keeps you full for twice as long as a steak.

I have never understood why golden apples use full blocks of gold instead of ingots. And you would think now, with the hunger bar and RPG elements, that something as rare as a golden apple would permanently lengthen your hunger bar or life bar or something.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Zombie Samurai posted:

I have never understood why golden apples use full blocks of gold instead of ingots. And you would think now, with the hunger bar and RPG elements, that something as rare as a golden apple would permanently lengthen your hunger bar or life bar or something.

That would be nice. At least, it would give some kind of goal. I was excited to play Minecraft with the new update, but I found that all I did was find a village and move into an empty house, then explore some ravines and mineshafts, and then get bored again with no goal to move me forwards. Working towards permanent character upgrades is a tried and true method of creating gameplay without much effort, I wish Notch would jump on that train.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

BobTheJanitor posted:

That would be nice. At least, it would give some kind of goal. I was excited to play Minecraft with the new update, but I found that all I did was find a village and move into an empty house, then explore some ravines and mineshafts, and then get bored again with no goal to move me forwards. Working towards permanent character upgrades is a tried and true method of creating gameplay without much effort, I wish Notch would jump on that train.

Yeah, my friends and I have been really excited for 1.8 for a long time, because the proposed feature list made it look like it would finally add some gameplay, or just a reason to do things. Turns out it was nothing but a hunger bar, sprinting, and new world generation. The world gen is fantastic now, but there's still no reason for me to actually play the game because there's nothing I haven't done or seen before.

It's really stunning just how little content has been added to this game since I bought it back when it first came out, there have been lots of very minor features added, like fishing, hunger, or new blocks, but they still have no real interaction with gameplay. It's like a feature gets added, then instead of getting fleshed out and made intregal to the gameplay, it's forgotten about and more barebones features are added.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Jelly posted:

I've considered this, and they would still be able to dismantle one side.

Does anyone know how far they can reach?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
What's the deal with leaky roofs? Every time it rains it's hit or miss if rains going to be coming through the ceiling or not.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Balon posted:

What's the deal with leaky roofs? Every time it rains it's hit or miss if rains going to be coming through the ceiling or not.

Bug. Place a block on the floor under the rain, it'll stop and you can destroy the block immediately afterwards.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

BobTheJanitor posted:

With the XP bar they've at least bought a ticket. We'll see where that goes later on when it actually does something, I suppose.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Rack posted:

Are there any workarounds for the smp exp-orb issue? ...
I run my PvP server off of bukkit, and wrote a plugin that kills exp orbs from a player when they die. Not exactly the most desirable outcome but oh well, it keeps them from spamming the server to death.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Just doing random sight seeing and found a pretty sweet seed: I come from the land of ice and snow

Bunch of floating islands and overhangs near spawn on one side, and if you go through them there's a bunch of very large mountains and hills with lots of valleys, as well as a big ocean and a big swamp

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ok, sorry for filling up this thread with my dumb questions, but I just have one more. I'm trying to get a server properly set up, but I can't find a way to allow people in a group with the Permissions mod to have the ability to whitelist. So far as I've found out now, the only way to give them the ability to whitelist is to give them full op, which is... less than desirable.

Anyone have any experience with this? Lots of googling hasn't turned anything up yet.

Intl Cron
Dec 5, 2005

I'm just an olde-fashioned cowboy...
I really hope someone can help me out here - I just downloaded the fix for the OpenGL fix posted on the last page and I can't get it to work, much like any mod on OSX.

Let me walk through this and tell me what I'm doing wrong:

1) Application Support/Minecraft/bin/ and change name of minecraft.jar to .zip, open folder contents
2) Replace class files with replacements in mod folder
3) Delete META-INF folder
4) Take contents and compress
5) Take Archive.zip and move it back to the /bin folder
6) Rename to minecraft.jar, accept prompt to use .jar

But now when I run minecraft, it'll crash to a black screen. Any ideas? :(

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Intl Cron posted:

Any ideas? :(
Take it to the modding thread, the people there will help you out with the specifics, and there's some good detail on OSX compatibility issues there.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

I'm sure this has been discussed, but I haven't read this thread at all. Is there any way to make minecraft not run horribly with 1.8? It was totally fine before the update, but now it's basically unplayable.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Update Java to version 7

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Are you sure Notch has switched over to JDK 7? I'd assume his jar would have to be compiled in 7 in order to gain any benefits from running it in 7.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

No clue. I updated Java and it drat near doubled my FPS though.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Are you sure Notch has switched over to JDK 7? I'd assume his jar would have to be compiled in 7 in order to gain any benefits from running it in 7.

A great deal of Java's performance comes from the quality of the JIT compiler, and it is possible that Java 7 is noticeably improved in that regard.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Might as well give it a shot then. Worst that happens is I reinstall 6.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
There was a creeper in the park of our multiplayer town. At night. How fitting.

Also freaking Endermen keep ruining the walls we built up to keep other mobs out. Earlier tonight I looked out at my garden and saw an Enderman pulling up blocks and stepping all over my crops! He got in through the wall right behind there. I guess the water mote wasn't enough to kill him. drat you Endermeeeeeeen

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm finding that a 2-wide, 4-deep moat with a raised edge on the side you don't want them being does in Endermen pretty well.

.......D -> Town
DWWD
DWWD
DWWD
DWWD

Basically. (D=Dirt, W=Water. Replace materials as you see fit.)

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Oh holy poo poo does Java 7 improve performance. ~60 FPS with Chrome running with 7 tabs open playing music and two other Java apps open.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Gonna try Java 7 out. I used to have 60fps pinned (vsync), but it's 40 now. Let's see if I can get it back to 60 :allears:

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
A lot of people are complaining about endermen. I haven't had a problem with them yet. Here are some neat tricks I found out:

- They can't pick up slabs or fences.
- Vines prevent them from grabbing the blocks behind the vines.
- They don't tend to spawn around pumpkins (Although this needs serious testing)
- Endermen can pick up blocks behind another, but only in rare, certain cases.
- They only grab blocks from 0-3 layers from their feet.
- They are just :3:

Shoot, even fighting them is a joke: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S8ACksEDLo

To be fair, I think notched just dropped the ball on the function of them. They don't aggro properly, the zombie sounds make them feel flat, and their block moving is just random at best. I was hoping these things to roam around a certain area, just taking up multiple blocks and building strange structures, only aggroing if you just keep staring at them. Ah well.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
So, I've been digging through the deobfuscated source via Mincraft coder pack to investigate making a height-limit mod. When Notch said that he got the height limit down to one variable, he must have meant only in the worldgen. There are still tons of places where it checks to see if trees, or huge mushrooms, etc. can grow/spawn against just 128. From a cursory overview you might not even be able to place blocks above 128 if you just modify the worldgen parameters :saddowns:

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

JoeyDK87 posted:

Shoot, even fighting them is a joke: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S8ACksEDLo

To be fair, I think notched just dropped the ball on the function of them. They don't aggro properly, the zombie sounds make them feel flat, and their block moving is just random at best. I was hoping these things to roam around a certain area, just taking up multiple blocks and building strange structures, only aggroing if you just keep staring at them. Ah well.

When you hit something with a diamond sword, it dies as it should.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EightBit posted:

So, I've been digging through the deobfuscated source via Mincraft coder pack to investigate making a height-limit mod. When Notch said that he got the height limit down to one variable, he must have meant only in the worldgen. There are still tons of places where it checks to see if trees, or huge mushrooms, etc. can grow/spawn against just 128. From a cursory overview you might not even be able to place blocks above 128 if you just modify the worldgen parameters :saddowns:

I don't know how it obfuscates - is it possible the obfuscator or compiler takes constant variables like world height and distributes them throughout the code where the references are? There's lots of dodgy stuff happening when you compile and decompile.

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given
Minecraft has officially blown my mind. I was swimming along and I see this:

I swam down there and realized I was in an... underwater waterfall? Somehow all the water doesn't go down there and flood the whole place. Weird poo poo.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

DR AIDS posted:

Minecraft has officially blown my mind. I was swimming along and I see this:

I swam down there and realized I was in an... underwater waterfall? Somehow all the water doesn't go down there and flood the whole place. Weird poo poo.
Yeah, water doesn't really behave like water in anything but a very vague sense.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Question: A while ago I had a pickaxe replace itself with one of my other pickaxes of the same type in my inventory without me doing anything. I thought this was a cool thing.

Problem: It hasn't happened again, was I hallucinating?

Edit
VVV
Playing vanilla other than MCPatcher. Was playing on the same server both times too

ThndrShk2k fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 20, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ThndrShk2k posted:

Question: A while ago I had a pickaxe replace itself with one of my other pickaxes of the same type in my inventory without me doing anything. I thought this was a cool thing.

Problem: It hasn't happened again, was I hallucinating?

This is a feature of the InventoryTweaks mod, if that helps at all.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

YOURFRIEND posted:

When you hit something with a diamond sword, it dies as it should.

You forget that Stone Sword Critical Hits = Diamond Sword, so that point is moot.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

JoeyDK87 posted:

A lot of people are complaining about endermen. I haven't had a problem with them yet. Here are some neat tricks I found out:

Our new spawn town is right on the edge of a really dense forest. Those chunks are almost always active at night. As a result, the bottom three "trunk" blocks of almost all of the trees have disappeared. This is happening around other build projects that see the same active chunks night after night. Huge chunks of the map are barely explored, but they're "floating forests". If they added tree blocks to the list of unmovable objects, that would help tremendously.

I will repair roads and parts of houses, but I don't have time to fix trees, of all things.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Enderman should swap two blocks in a reasonable area, not just move one block around.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 1, 2014

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

I am really liking the map on my server!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Senator Woofington posted:

I am really liking the map on my server!

Holy poo poo! :aaa: That is incredibly badass.