Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:
Dragon Quest Monsters is coming to iOS and Android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dragon Quest I: The game is interesting to look at because of how JRPGs evolved since this game. It's a bit clunky to play nowadays but otherwise isn't too bad.
Dragon Quest II: Frustration. I was about to give up once I reached the Cave to Rhone, then I learned I was near the end of the game anyway so I pushed on.
Dragon Quest III: Really fun. Still very much playable today too.
Dragon Quest IV: Very fun but a bit underwhelmed by the end. Still good though.
Dragon Quest V: Definitely my favorite game in the series by a wide margin.
Dragon Quest VI: Haven't played too much of. I keep starting and then losing interest and moving on to something else.
Dragon Quest VII: Frustration 2. Mostly for different reasons though. I never beat this game and I don't really feel compelled to find that shard I've missed.
Dragon Quest VIII: Very beautiful and refreshing game to play. Much needed simplification after Dragon Quest VII.
Dragon Quest IX: It's basically Dragon Quest III but with more customization and multiplayer of sorts. Loved it.
Dragon Quest X: Very much a wait and see. I want to be optimistic and I would be optimistic if it had an offline and online mode but since the game is online only...

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Dragon Quest: Played it, beat it. Fourth title beat
Dragon Quest II: Played it, beat it. Second title beat
Dragon Quest III: Beat it after finding the value of having actual party members that can be used as backup in certain situations. Took a while to figure that.
Dragon Quest IV: First DQ I beat, favorite of the bunch.
Dragon Quest V: Have, played, beat on DS
Dragon Quest VI: Still haven't completed it. Will play more when i'm on travel.
Dragon Quest VII: Unknown
Dragon Quest VIII: Didn't play because little brother was playing. Never got around to it.
Dragon Quest IX: Beat it and was endgame grinding. Stopped for a while, but will pick up later.
Dragon Quest X: My future MMO that i'm going to play with is already PSO2. DQX is too late for me.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
Dragon Quest: Played the NES version, beat it. Bought the GB version, beat that too.
Dragon Quest II: Played the NES version, got to Hargon's castle, proceeded to get lost and stop playing. Haven't touched any version of it since; any interest in playing was dulled by watching a LP of the game on these forums.
Dragon Quest III: Played the NES version, beat it. Bought the GBC version, beat it again along with the bonus content.
Dragon Quest IV: Played the NES version, got halfway into the final chapter, stopped for some reason. Bought the DS version and beat the game and bonus areas. Is one of two games in the series (9 is the other) that I bothered getting characters to the maximum level. Unimportant tidbit: after level 60 or so Maya starts getting Alena/Ragnar-level strength growth and ends up with max strength (or close to it with bad RNG rolls) by level 99.
Dragon Quest V: Played the DS version, beat it, didn't touch the bonus areas.
Dragon Quest VI: Played the DS version, beat it, working on the bonus areas.
Dragon Quest VII: Played it for a bit, got up around the Shrine of Dharma, lost interest.
Dragon Quest VIII: Played it, beat it, cleared some of the bonus content.
Dragon Quest IX: Played it, beat it, cleared most of the bonus content.
Dragon Quest X: Don't have a Wii, not going to buy one. Will probably end up playing it in 5-10 years when Nintendo shovels out a version on their latest-gen portable console.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
I think Dragon Quest VIII holds the record for the most grinding of done in a game. I spent around ten hours fighting King Metal Slimes in the Dragon's Graveyard to finish the post-game. Was fun.

Next playthrough I'll be more casual and just goof around with skill points and that.

n0manarmy
Mar 18, 2003

Dragon Quest: Played the poo poo out of this. Multiple play throughs on NES. Multiple play throughs on the GBC. Will continue to play it at random times in my life as it was my first addiction to RPG's and I just loved it.
Dragon Quest II: Kind of a let down compared to the first one but still good. It left a bit to be desired. I still have fond memories of when you can access the continents from the 1st dragon warrior in their miniature form.
Dragon Quest III: A great game for NES and all of its other releases. The big thing about DQ3 was that you could go with 4 people or 1 person. It was hard at 1 person but also just as hard with 3 jesters. It was a game that I've played through a few times on the NES and multiple times on the GBC
Dragon Quest IV: This game, to me, is the magnum opus of Enix. It had all the flavors of the previous versions that were released in the states at the time and had an awesome plot. The fact that you could have the system control your party added to the element that you were the hero. I've played this multiple times on the NES, DS, and other.
Dragon Quest V: I really liked the plot and the play style of this version. I'm just sad that it took so long for Squinix to make it available in the US. It was a blast to play but I'll probably only play it once through.
Dragon Quest VI: According to google this isn't out yet and I cant recall playing it. I don't think I've hunted for the translations either.
Dragon Quest VII: This game was great but it was f'ing hard! I remember printing out the 500+ page walk through on the laserjet 4000 at my work, punching holes in that poo poo and using it over the period of 4 years from when I would pick the game up and put it back down. Yes, this damned game took me 4 years to beat. And to then find out that you needed to collect all the mini medals in order to go back and kill god pissed me off so much that I didn't even want to consider going back and playing it again....Now, once I'm done with Suikoden I'll be going back and playing it on my cellphone with FPse after I convert my disks to a format that will work.
Dragon Quest VIII: This game was fun. I have fond memories of the characters and how appealing they were. I think this game was memorable because it was a big transition from Dragon Quest 7. It was different and the design was different so in a strange way, it felt special and new.
Dragon Quest IX: I liked the plot line and I enjoyed the game. In the states there just was never enough people to share the maps with. I wanted to have random people check things out and share with but there was never anyone around. I guess I could have done the goon meets but I was lazy.
Dragon Quest X: :sigh: Nintendo, yes I still have my Wii. I was going to sell it but then realized that no one would by it unless I undercut the poo poo out of the price. I'll probably buy this game when it comes out only because I love Enix. I hope it doesn't suck

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
Dragon Quest: My very first RPG as a kid, and still one of my favorites. It hasn't aged all that well, but I still love finishing it. Even finished the cell phone version.
Dragon Quest II: Beat it, loved it, will probably play again when my DQ Collection arrives in a couple days.
Dragon Quest III: Played the GBC version, never beat it. I'll do just that when DQ Collection arrives.
Dragon Quest IV: Played for the first time on DS and adored it. Beat the gently caress out of it.
Dragon Quest V: Played on NES, PS2 and DS. Beat it on NES and DS. Still the best DQ in existence.
Dragon Quest VI: Played the JP Super Fami version. Never beat it, and still haven't picked up the DS version.
Dragon Quest VII: I will never beat this game. It's like 200 hours long. It's just too big for me.
Dragon Quest VIII: Played and finished the PS2 version. Really enjoyed it. Loved the added voices for the US version.
Dragon Quest IX: Played it, and ended up quitting halfway through because I wanted to play the game with someone, which never happened. Picked it up again a couple weeks ago, and don't remember what I was doing when I stopped. I might just restart the game and play it all the way through.
Dragon Quest X: WIll probably get the WiiU version when it hits next year. Hopefully the online infrastructure isn't terrible like the Wii's.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Hey, no one posted this here yet: the original Dragon Quest Monsters for Game Boy Color is being remade for 3DS.

Andriasang posted:

There were some rumors supposedly coming out of Weekly Shounen Jump a couple of days back about a remake of original 1998 Dragon Quest Monsters for 3DS. Square Enix formally announced the game, Dragon Quest Monsters Terry's Wonderland 3D, today.

Terry's Wonderland 3D is a remake of the like-named (minus the 3D part, of course) Game Boy title from 1998. Like all the "Monsters" series games, this one is about making parties with and raising monsters from the Dragon Quest series. For the remake, Square Enix is including all the monsters from the recent dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 Professional, some all new monsters, new stories, and more.

A release is planned for some time in 2012.

Now that there are two DQ spinoffs announced for the platform, it looks increasingly likely that DQXI will be for 3DS. But any announcement would be at least a year or so off, so we'll see.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Barry Convex posted:

Hey, no one posted this here yet: the original Dragon Quest Monsters for Game Boy Color is being remade for 3DS.

Now that there are two DQ spinoffs announced for the platform, it looks increasingly likely that DQXI will be for 3DS. But any announcement would be at least a year or so off, so we'll see.

It might be, but that still comes down to which platform has the largest install base when they begin development on the game. It'll be interesting to see what that's like once the Vita and 3DS get more established in Japan and abroad.

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

LordAndrew posted:

Oh yeah, anyone ever play any of those Torneko spinoffs? (Did those even come out in the US?)

I played the super nintendo version. Pretty fun for console roguelike. It has a pretty forgiving game over system. Still, the monsters on the very lower floors can be brutal. Super hard hitting, super fast, and attacking twice a turn. Ouch!

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I've been meaning to pick up DQ Yangus for a few years now. Not really sure why I never did. I love me some Fushigi no Dungeon.

Is Yangus the only DQ branded Fushigi game?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

thetrin posted:

I've been meaning to pick up DQ Yangus for a few years now. Not really sure why I never did. I love me some Fushigi no Dungeon.

Is Yangus the only DQ branded Fushigi game?

Not even close, the very first Mystery Dungeon game was Torneko's Mystery Dungeon way back when. I'd imagine it's probably not worth playing anymore, though

There's also the Rocket Slime games, I think those are supposed to be similar to the Mystery Dungeon games? Not sure

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Rocket Slime games are nothing like Mystery Dungeon. They're completely real-time and have no traditional RPG elements (EXP, HP, MP, equippable items) whatsoever.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Fungah! posted:

Not even close, the very first Mystery Dungeon game was Torneko's Mystery Dungeon way back when. I'd imagine it's probably not worth playing anymore, though

There's also the Rocket Slime games, I think those are supposed to be similar to the Mystery Dungeon games? Not sure

Nah, Rocket Slime isn't a Mysterious dungeon game.

The first Slime Mori Mori was a cute little adventure game. Slime Mori Mori 2 (Rocket Slime outside Japan) is the same, but they added in tank battles.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Barry Convex posted:

Rocket Slime games are nothing like Mystery Dungeon. They're completely real-time and have no traditional RPG elements (EXP, HP, MP, equippable items) whatsoever.

Guess I heard wrong, then! Oh well

e: to contribute, the Torneko game is actually Torneko's Great Adventure: Mysterious Dungeon. There's three of these altogether. Wikipedia tells me that the first one was the first Mystery Dungeon game but never got released over here. The second one got a PSX release in North America as Torneko: The Last Hope.

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 19, 2011

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Man those all look awesome. Why, Square-Enix, why? :(
Same reason they won't release any International FF games or Kingdom Hearts Final Mix: they... hate money or something, I guess.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

U.T. Raptor posted:

Same reason they won't release any International FF games or Kingdom Hearts Final Mix: they... hate money or something, I guess.

The International FF games are generally just the alterations made for the US/EU releases repackaged and re-released in Japan. Not sure why you'd want to buy the same game twice, because that's basically what you're asking for here.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Terpfen posted:

The International FF games are generally just the alterations made for the US/EU releases repackaged and re-released in Japan. Not sure why you'd want to buy the same game twice, because that's basically what you're asking for here.

Well, they do add some stuff. Final Fantasy XII International added a ton of poo poo: Controllable summons, a job system, a 100-stage monster wave clear-a-thon, two new game+ modes (one of which sounds hilarious, you begin at level 1...and stay that way. You never level up!), and more.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terpfen posted:

This isn't true at all actually. The International versions always contain new content not found in the US version. It's particularly egregious for something like Kingdom Hearts where the sequel games make frequent callbacks to things that only happened in the International (or in this case, Final Mix) versions of the game.

The most dramatic are probably KH2 and FFX-2, both of which got an insane boatload of new content. In fact, the PS2 vesion of Chain of Memories that they sold as a stand-alone game in the US was just a part of Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Terpfen posted:

Not always true. Usually it's the US version, plus even more. FFXII International added a whole new job system, for instance.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The only time I can recall where the International version was basically the localized versions of the game is Final Fantasy VII, which had Emerald and Ruby Weapon as boss fights. Every other incarnation of International has had new stuff in them. Final Fantasy X had whole new boss fights not available in the US version (it was localized for PAL however). Final Fantasy X-2 had a brand new epilogue, new sphere grids and a monster capturing system which not only allowed the use of various monsters to join your party but various other characters from X and X-2 such as Auron, Baralai and Seymour. Final Fantasy XII International had too many changes to list, the completely new job system only scratches the surface of new content.

Final Fantasy XIII International on the other hand had... an added easy mode and nothing else. :effort:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
While we are doing roll call:

1: Beat a long time ago.
2: Got about half way in, haven't finished.
3: Beat a few times over.
4: Beat on the NES and DS
5: Beat on the DS
6: Played a bit, need to get into it more.
7: Got bored, need to get back to it.
8: Beat a few times over.
9: Played a little bit.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Roll call?

1 - 9: Beat them all, whenever they first came out in the US. With the exception of 3 which I played up to Zoma when it came out but never beat until sometime in the mid to late 90's, and 5 which I emulated before it came out in the US.

It just occurred to me this is probably the only long-lived series where I've finished every entry, except Mario maybe. I could have said the same about Metroid and Zelda, but both of them had recent entries that were so lovely that I can no longer make that claim.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Fungah! posted:

The second one got a PSX release in North America as Torneko: The Last Hope.

Which almost never came out at all.
Some Vancouver-based localization firm did an terrible job on it while blowing most of the budget, so Enix Japan was about to pull the plug when my producer buddy at Enix USA asked me if I wanted to do it. I jumped at the opportunity because I loved the first SFC release and was eager to see the series brought over.

The catch was that we only had three weeks to Enix Japan's cutoff date, and there was only $13k left for localization (for the volume, I should have been paid triple that). I did it on time, even though I had to be hospitalized overnight to get shoulder surgery, and did the last third with an arm in a sling.

For all my trouble, the Official PSX Magazine called it "the second worst game of all time on PSX" and only around 20,000 were released.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I hated that loving game, but then again I had no idea what a Mystery Dungeon game was at the time. I don't suppose anyone in the USA really had any idea what to expect, which is probably why it got so poor reviews. To be honest though, I've played a lot of rogue-likes since then and enjoy the genre a lot but I still hate Mystery Dungeon games.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

thetrin posted:

Not always true. Usually it's the US version, plus even more. FFXII International added a whole new job system, for instance.

FF12I is the exception, not the rule. The entire concept of the International editions began with FF7 International, where the bugfixes and bonus content from the US version were brought back to Japan.

Yeah, sometimes you get an FF12I or a KHFM, but for the most part, you're already playing the International edition.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Terpfen posted:

FF12I is the exception, not the rule. The entire concept of the International editions began with FF7 International, where the bugfixes and bonus content from the US version were brought back to Japan.

Yeah, sometimes you get an FF12I or a KHFM, but for the most part, you're already playing the International edition.

FFX and FFX-2's international versions had definite, noticeable improvements.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Barry Convex posted:

the original Dragon Quest Monsters for Game Boy Color is being remade for 3DS.

Oh dear sweet Almighty, I NEED this game in my life.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Which almost never came out at all.
Some Vancouver-based localization firm did an terrible job on it while blowing most of the budget, so Enix Japan was about to pull the plug when my producer buddy at Enix USA asked me if I wanted to do it. I jumped at the opportunity because I loved the first SFC release and was eager to see the series brought over.

The catch was that we only had three weeks to Enix Japan's cutoff date, and there was only $13k left for localization (for the volume, I should have been paid triple that). I did it on time, even though I had to be hospitalized overnight to get shoulder surgery, and did the last third with an arm in a sling.

For all my trouble, the Official PSX Magazine called it "the second worst game of all time on PSX" and only around 20,000 were released.

Yeeouch, sounds like hell. Tell me you didn't eat any of the blame for the bad reviews, sounds like you came in at the end and did everything you could to salvage it out of more or less the goodness of your heart

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Roll call! (story time, incoming :words:)

1 - Got it as a complete surprise christmas of 1990. I had asked for Metriod (which I also got... my mom was awesome), but she had a cool idea - get him a subscription to Nintendo Power so he'll read more instead of staring at a screen all day (ha!). It just so happened that they were giving away a free copy of Dragon Warrior with subscriptions that holiday season. Anyway, at first I thought "WTF kind of game is this?" as it was my first RPG experience, but it grew on me, and before long, I was hooked. Many, many playthroughs during my kid/teen years, even more than one max-level save.

2 - Even before I'd beaten the first game, I was oogling it on the shelf of the computer/game store in the mall. The fact that among the many informational goodies contained in the NP package, it had a full map/item/monster poster for DW2, was probably the cause. Unfortunately, it was also the most expensive NES game on the shelf - $59.99 (which is what, like 80 bucks nowadays?). Fast forward to April '92, and I had come into a large amount of birthday money. Guess what I bought? I loved the game just as much, if not more than, the first. Again, many playthroughs over the years, and my original save was max-level.

3 - I was neck-deep in SNES and pretty much forgot about DW3 until I saw it in 1995... in Wal-Mart of all places. It was one of 3 NES games they had remaining, and it was only $28.99. Snatched that fucker up, played it to death. No max-level saves, but I did do crazy challenge runs, including solo-hero. It's funny how the instruction manual is also a full-walkthrough strategy guide.

4 - Not until 1999. I had just gotten my first PC (a hand-me-down pentium 166) and internet connection. First thing I downloaded was Nesticle and this ROM. Played it to completion, loved it. I've recently finished a max-level run on the DS version.

5 - Not until 2002 or 03, whenever Byuu first released the translation patch. I honestly don't remember much from the SNES version except farming Medals from Mimics due to a bugged chest. I'm currently on my 2nd playthrough of the DS version (this one will be max-level :ohdear:), and it's a great game.

6 - At around the same time, I played maybe halfway through the almost-complete translation of DQ6 and put it away for some reason I can't remember. I beat the DS version a while back, and man it was HARD. Like, I was actually stuck in some places because the bosses were brutal.

7 - Xmas time 2001, I had previously moved out-of-state and was back home visiting relatives. We went to Best Buy for some reason and I bought it, ignoring the warnings of PSM/GI saying that it's crap and not to bother. Ended up sinking 160-ish hours into it, did all the sidequests, wrecked all the bonus content. My girlfriend at the time liked games, but this one was "too much RPG" for her. She used to complain that the soundtrack was "the same 5 songs played over and over", and we had a running gag where'd we make the *stairs* sound when entering or exiting a building. Good times.

8 - Bought it on release date, played it for a couple hours (on a RGB monitor, looked fantastic), but shelved it for YEARS due to a little game called World of Warcraft. I finally did a complete playthrough summer of 2008 when I was laid off and had an abundance of free time. I didn't do the bonus content, though.

9 - Got it when it came out, played until I saw the ending. Apparently that's only half the game. I'll give it a more complete run in the future.

I was also going to document my experiences with the side-games, but gently caress that. I've written too much already.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Ofecks posted:

8 - Bought it on release date, played it for a couple hours (on a RGB monitor, looked fantastic), but shelved it for YEARS due to a little game called World of Warcraft. I finally did a complete playthrough summer of 2008 when I was laid off and had an abundance of free time. I didn't do the bonus content, though.

Oh poo poo, son. Finish that bonus content. It isn't very substantial. Basically just a single dungeon with a repeating boss that gets tougher and tougher each time. Almost more plot than gameplay, but its still some good gameplay, and really wraps up such a charming fairy tale story. From the sounds of things you don't really play for the story, which is perfectly reasonable for DQ games, but do give this a try, if only because the boss(es) here are good fun.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Ofecks posted:

Roll call! (story time, incoming :words:)

1 - Got it as a complete surprise christmas of 1990. I had asked for Metriod (which I also got... my mom was awesome), but she had a cool idea - get him a subscription to Nintendo Power so he'll read more instead of staring at a screen all day (ha!). It just so happened that they were giving away a free copy of Dragon Warrior with subscriptions that holiday season. Anyway, at first I thought "WTF kind of game is this?" as it was my first RPG experience, but it grew on me, and before long, I was hooked. Many, many playthroughs during my kid/teen years, even more than one max-level save.

The best part about reaching the maximum level in DQ1 is that when you go to the king to save your game he can't understand why you haven't just killed the Dragonlord already.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
So are big monsters worth it in Joker 2? I just got to Iceolation and I have a green dragon, which takes up two spaces. I'm not convinced he's as good as two regular guys.
I'm totally addicted to raising everyone to 10 and seeing what I can get from them though.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

So are big monsters worth it in Joker 2? I just got to Iceolation and I have a green dragon, which takes up two spaces. I'm not convinced he's as good as two regular guys.
I'm totally addicted to raising everyone to 10 and seeing what I can get from them though.

I'm a couple of areas past Iceolation now, and in my experience so far, having three single-slot guys is definitely the way to go until you can get a decently powerful big dude from some selective breeding. Green Dragon is okay, but you'll find larger monsters that have two attack turns or hit multiple enemies. Until then, just hang with three.

Bonus Pro-Tip: Keep a high level Swarmtroop from the first area on hand. He will ruin metal slimes like nothing else.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

I think a lot of people tend to overlook why the Dragon Quest games are good. They aren't just old-school RPGs. They are crafted masterfully in many detailed ways that most people, I don't think, notice. When you buy a copper sword in Dragon Quest, it feels especially GOOD, but that's probably because of how challenging the games are.

I feel like I have to write an essay about this.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

I would have to say that Dragon Quest VIII is by far the best, classic style Japanese RPG ever. It does nothing new nor does it try to reinvent old concepts, it simply polishes established jrpg tropes to a mirror finish. I think IX (although an incredible game in it's own right) veered off the course with its grindy, Monster Hunter-esque vibe, but VIII... it made me feel like I was a kid, playing the original NES Dragon Warriors for the first time, only perfected for a modern audience.

It's kind of interesting when you look at how crazy and different the Final Fantasy series has changed over the years, constantly trying to innovate itself, whereas plucky little DQ keeps doing what it's doing.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

Bonus Pro-Tip: Keep a high level Swarmtroop from the first area on hand. He will ruin metal slimes like nothing else.

Swarmtroop (or any monster with Hit Squad trait) + Metal Slash = Dinner's gonna be high in iron tonight! :v:

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

iastudent posted:

Swarmtroop (or any monster with Hit Squad trait) + Metal Slash = Dinner's gonna be high in iron tonight! :v:

Speaking of, the best slime hunting I've found so far is a guaranteed Liquid Metal Slime that you can get to in less than a minute.

Go to the Bemusoleum, zip to the warp point and enter the large chamber that you will or did fight the Boss in. Take the first warp to your left, clockwise from where you enter and follow the path to the little dead end ledge at the end of the path.

And there he is. Takes about a minute from entering the zone to getting to him. Plus, you can save right before fighting him, so you're more or less guaranteed a win.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

There's another Liquid Metal Slime (They're Metal Babbles, dammit Squeenix! :argh:) in the same area if you're trying to open the blue door while it's raining. From the Boss room go through the lower right warp and follow along the north edge of the next room until you get to another room with two ledges to creep across. The metal is sitting in the middle of there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

It's kind of interesting when you look at how crazy and different the Final Fantasy series has changed over the years, constantly trying to innovate itself, whereas plucky little DQ keeps doing what it's doing.

Dragon Quest, however, keeps its head staff. The Final Fantasy series has different directors left and right.