Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Can anybody recommend me more bands like Mechanical Moth? I'm just getting into industrial and I want more bands with female vocals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Has anyone picked up the new VNV? It's typical VNV fare but maybe a bit more melodic as a whole. I like the lighter VNV stuff in general so Automatic is pretty much exactly what I wanted.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Lord Krangdar posted:

Can anybody recommend me more bands like Mechanical Moth? I'm just getting into industrial and I want more bands with female vocals.

Not dead-on like Mechanical Moth but Kidneytheives, Collide, and Angelspit all have female vocalists and are worth checking out.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.
Since there's a couple of you waiting for me to post something with lyrics, I'm REALLY really trying to get something done soon after spending half the year learning how to sing. Just stuff keeps getting in the way but I swear to god I'm trying hard for no other reason than some of you guys think there's really something cool to it.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Lord Krangdar posted:

L'Ame Immortelle used to be somewhere between goth and electro industrial depending on the track, but now are a lot more guitary I think

Pzycho Bitch and Flesh Field are artists that you might like, but I think they've split up/stopped releasing new stuff. Which is a shame, since they were both great.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
The Gothsicles appear to have a new album. Also, some :spergin: has deleted their wikipedia page.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Quirk posted:

Since there's a couple of you waiting for me to post something with lyrics, I'm REALLY really trying to get something done soon after spending half the year learning how to sing. Just stuff keeps getting in the way but I swear to god I'm trying hard for no other reason than some of you guys think there's really something cool to it.

Why bother learning to sing when you can just distort your voice and be done with it? I hear that's all the rage in the scene :v:

(but seriously though hope we'll get to hear something from you soon)

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Lord Krangdar posted:

They're nothing like that but I absolutely adore Prometheus Burning.

Kerbtree posted:

The Gothsicles appear to have a new album.

I'm a massive Gothsicles fan but honestly this new CD is taking it's sweet time growing on me. A couple of tracks are totally boss but overall it seems much weaker than the previous two. Also seems to be even more full of in-jokes than usual which is frustrating.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Quirk posted:

Since there's a couple of you waiting for me to post something with lyrics, I'm REALLY really trying to get something done soon after spending half the year learning how to sing. Just stuff keeps getting in the way

I have an hour to kill before my ride comes to pick me up. Here... now you're a star!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The Cleaner posted:

I have an hour to kill before my ride comes to pick me up. Here... now you're a star!

Quirk I hope you realize you need to put this on your CD

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.
Music is the life blood, thanks I needed a smile today. I was really tempted to just say "fuckit" and go all Brokencyde with the vocals, but I just couldn't bring myself to so I'm cursed with trying to do something natural and actually good but it's so hard when you're tiny and nasally.

Here's the songs with some test vocals, I think I'm over the hump but there's still a lot of suck I have to strip out of my techniques: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvfPGa7CCCU

When I'm on my feet and not talking to social workers and people that want to put me in the nice padded rooms I'll come back to it :buddy:

edit: bonus context: http://youtu.be/v4ZLlPtcXAI

Quirk fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 18, 2011

Lothar
Feb 2, 2004

ARRGH YOU'RE THE ONE THAT IS DOOMED TO SINK
What is everyones thoughts on the new Skinny Puppy album coming out in October?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOc-kkC-Wds

There is all the snippets.

Personally I kind of like it.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007
Sounds like Download.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I haven't listened to the samples, as I would rather wait for the real thing (or the inevitable leak). Do you mean old Download, or his later era oonzt-oonzt-oonzt Helicopter Download that pretty much blends into platEAU.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I heard the first track and though, hey this is some cool spooky ambient stuff maybe this album will be alright, and then the rest sounded like newer ohGr stuff. :( I'll still buy it though since I bought the last 29 albums. Why stop now?

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

hatelull posted:

I haven't listened to the samples, as I would rather wait for the real thing (or the inevitable leak). Do you mean old Download, or his later era oonzt-oonzt-oonzt Helicopter Download that pretty much blends into platEAU.

Older download. III and earlier Download. I haven't even heard any download after III so nice to know it would be a waste of time.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Zaiquiri posted:

I haven't even heard any download after III so nice to know it would be a waste of time.

Effector is ok, if not tame. I quite enjoyed Fixer, but it's far less abrasive as the earlier stuff. I'm not sure how to describe it actually, but he made a transition from the noisy possibly experimental sound of the early Download to druggy hyper-active electronica of the later stuff. He did a vault release called Inception - The Subconcious James 1994-1995 that was a nice mix of the older stuff reworked, so that might be worth tracking down if you're really interested.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 20, 2011

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Effector might not be like earlier Download album, but I think it's one of the best electronic albums that's been made. It's got some of the most organic synthesizers and pads I've ever heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QaOhP60QaI

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
Having just moved out to the Bay Area, I'm loving the night life out here. I finally live close enough to decent clubs to go out every/other weekend. It's mostly places that play your typical VNV-type stuff (which I'm fond of), but some of the classic nights reminded me of my roots. I nearly flipped poo poo when I heard OMD - Electricity being played in a club. It had been about 4 years since I heard that in a club, which was back in San Antonio.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

hatelull posted:

Effector is ok, if not tame. I quite enjoyed Fixer, but it's far less abrasive as the earlier stuff. I'm not sure how to describe it actually, but he made a transition from the noisy possibly experimental sound of the early Download to druggy hyper-active electronica of the later stuff. He did a vault release called Inception - The Subconcious James 1994-1995 that was a nice mix of the older stuff reworked, so that might be worth tracking down if you're really interested.

I dunno. III was a decent album but it was starting to stray into territory I didn't like as much and I'm not surprised Download drifted off the way it did. I'll probably check it out eventually but until then I'll be happy looping SuniC and Base Metal for hours on end.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Godmachine posted:

Having just moved out to the Bay Area, I'm loving the night life out here. I finally live close enough to decent clubs to go out every/other weekend. It's mostly places that play your typical VNV-type stuff (which I'm fond of), but some of the classic nights reminded me of my roots. I nearly flipped poo poo when I heard OMD - Electricity being played in a club. It had been about 4 years since I heard that in a club, which was back in San Antonio.

Apop does a really nice cover of that.

Exi7wound
Aug 22, 2004

LOGANO
Remember my name... you'll be screaming it later.

Godmachine posted:

Having just moved out to the Bay Area, I'm loving the night life out here. I finally live close enough to decent clubs to go out every/other weekend.

And... you can get loving hammered and walk, or take a short cab ride home. :)

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH

hatelull posted:

I have always had this album, but I've never given it a listen. Thanks. I don't think they will ever release another album that could even hold a candle to Eyes Of Stanley Pain. Genesis' bits and pieces in that album really gave it the right vibe.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Potential BFF posted:

Has anyone picked up the new VNV? It's typical VNV fare but maybe a bit more melodic as a whole. I like the lighter VNV stuff in general so Automatic is pretty much exactly what I wanted.

Yeah, I really like it. I like a lot of VNV - the early stuff for the darkness and intensity, Futureperfect as a tipping point, Judgement and M&F for the melody and dynamics. Of Power... was too similar to their previous 2 for me to enjoy, but Automatic is quite different - much brighter and more hopeful, with a major emphasis on melody and varied influences. I think it's probably their best release since future/pastperfect.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I've mentioned them before, but I just cannot say enough good about Battery Cage, and the albums World Wide Wasteland and A Young Person's Guide to Heartbreak. I feel they capture what 90s KMFDM had and lost, and one-up it. The latter album is definitely a spectacular angsty party. Bookend it with with Broken heh.

The band has released some other work sporadically, but it's a more stripped down style without much electronics.

Unfortunately they seemed to have dropped off the radar mostly and never quite hit it big enough so it's hard to find their stuff streaming online. My favourite songs like Single and I Want To Take You Home aren't available anyway.

One terrible quality example from World Wide Wasteland:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvzV8GRmxYs

I think the stuff from A Young Person's Guide to Heartbreak would appeal to more people here though.

KimJongUnstoppable
Sep 18, 2010

Juche Lyfe 4 Ever!
Holy poo poo. I remember Battery Cage. I got one of their demos - a cassette no less - back in highschool from someone in the band.

That brings back memories.

They were pretty good then, so I imagine they're probably good now.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

loving buy buy buy!

Everything is on iTunes (so you can preview too), but oddly they seem to be listed under two different "Battery Cage" entries.

I bought a CD and t-shirt from them directly a few years ago and they came with a hand-written thank you note from Tyler :)

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

I see what you did there....
Grimey Drawer
Just want to drop off a thank you, i've found a lot of great stuff to listen due to this thread.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

So the new "Pop Will Eat Itself" (no Clint, Adam, Fuzz) was released today in the UK.

I'm approaching this with lots of trepidation ... really don't want to get my hopes up.

Not atrocious so far, though I'm only three tracks in. Kind of Primal Scream-esque with fatter guitars and more effects.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Well listened to it twice and ...

It's not terrible, and has some slight comfort, but really it's completely forgettable. There are just no hooks through the entire thing. Some great sounds and effects, but it all just blends together.

Everything since and including This Is The Day... was catchy and brash. This is somewhat brash, but there's just nothing catchy about it.

edit: really not electro-industrial, though some people think Sail is, but anyone checked out AWOLNATION? I feel they capture the old PWEI aesthetic better than modern PWEI does.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 4, 2011

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT
Does anyone know of any songs similar to Today I Woke to The Rain of Blood by Combichrist? It's seriously my favourite song of all time, I can listen to it as many times as I want without getting bored of it. It's rhe best workout song I've ever found, I can hardly find anything that's even remotely as good.

So far, similar songs I know of are Panzermensch by And One!, Hate This by Grendel, Conspiracy with the Devil by Suicide Commando, and
Atomic Bomb by Eisenfunk. I also know of Die Motherfucker Die and See You in Hell by Suicide Commando, as well as every Combichrist song.

Any other good ones?

Thanks for all the links below, bros!

Slappy Moose fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 4, 2011

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Slappy Moose posted:

Does anyone know of any songs similar to Today I Woke to The Rain of Blood by Combichrist? It's seriously my favourite song of all time, I can listen to it as many times as I want without getting bored of it. It's rhe best workout song I've ever found, I can hardly find anything that's even remotely as good.

That song is basically Combichrist's most technically proficient attempt at ripping off Suicide Commando's career. He does a good job, too.

I totally can't stand 99% of this particular type of music, but you might like Panzer AG - Filth God or Aesthetic Perfection - The Great Depression. Also take a look at Hocico's catalogue, or maybe Nachtmahr and/or [X]-Rx.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
That kinda music will rot your brain, y'know?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Furret Basket posted:

That kinda music will rot your brain, y'know?

I just think it's sonically lazy.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Slappy Moose posted:

Does anyone know of any songs similar to Today I Woke to The Rain of Blood by Combichrist?

Any other good ones?

I guess you might like Uberbyte, in that I think they sound like Combichrist but like neither personally.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Unlike everyone else here apparently, I love Combichrist. Check out Icon of Coil (Andy's other band http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvWiULDbfaA), old Orgy (candyass and vapor transmission, forget punk statik paranoia) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu07ZOdvHh8, Rotersand http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOqn8FxuyFs, System Syn http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uGmRaInspo, Wumpscut http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dur2HTGrU-0, and Clinical Torment http://www.clinicaltorment.tk/.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I like Combichrist a lot, I just hate the whole "Please be offended!" thing he does. It's so childish.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Twiin posted:

I totally can't stand 99% of this particular type of music, but you might like Panzer AG - Filth God or Aesthetic Perfection - The Great Depression. Also take a look at Hocico's catalogue, or maybe Nachtmahr and/or [X]-Rx.
That's my exact problem too. I have to look through dozens if not a hundred songs before I find one I like. I have about 15 songs by Combichrist that I like, and about 9 of those I only kind of like.

Aesthetic Perfection - The Great Depression was pretty good though, the overemphasis of lyrics detracted from it but the beats were awesome. Thanks or that one.

Pope Guilty posted:

I like Combichrist a lot, I just hate the whole "Please be offended!" thing he does. It's so childish.
I've found that giving no shits about what a band says or does or looks like goes a long way to just enjoying the music. I really like their songs, so even though he's super gay (like I keep hearing) about trying to be offensive, it doesn't bother me.

carbonex
Sep 11, 2001

Slappy Moose posted:

Aesthetic Perfection - The Great Depression was pretty good though, the overemphasis of lyrics detracted from it but the beats were awesome.
Maybe that's why it's best for these types of bands to apply liberal vocal distortion. This goes double for non-native English speakers (ahem Funker Vogt).

Edit: Did this thread ever talk about last year's Haus Arafna? It might have been more like an Arafna/November Növelet blend, but drat was it good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Slappy Moose posted:

I've found that giving no shits about what a band says or does or looks like goes a long way to just enjoying the music. I really like their songs, so even though he's super gay (like I keep hearing) about trying to be offensive, it doesn't bother me.

It gets into his lyrics, as in "Fuckmachine" and "Give Head If You Got It". "Joy to the World" is pretty great though.