Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I bought a license for Snowtape because I wanted to record my college radio's webcast, but because of the incompetence of how the stream is set up it doesn't work very well. Snowtape won't make one nice recording, it splits it up into a bunch of files with dead air and skips. Is there any good, preferably free software that I can use? It seems like something VLC could do but damned if I can figure it out at the moment. (The url is http://www.backbonehub.com/stations/fmcollege_8080.mov which seems like a pretty weird format for an audio only stream.)

If all else fails I'm just going to run the fm from my nano into my audio interface and record it with TapeDeck or something. So lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Try Radioshift or if that doesn't work, Audio Hijack Pro probably will.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Accipiter posted:

I've had this MacBook Pro for over a year now, and I've been using Lion on it since the day of its release. I am constantly using wireless networks (both at home, at work, and out), and this is the only time I've ever seen anything like this. I'm wondering if it has to do with the sheer number of people using wireless saturating the channels, but I honestly have no idea what the real problem is or how to fix it.

My campus network has this problem in busy buildings at peak hours; I've always assumed that it's due to saturation, and my only solution has been to keep the system preferences network panel open. I wonder if you could test this by trying to use the hotel network at some offpeak hour (late at night or early morning)?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

brc64 posted:

Quoting myself because you fuckers aren't giving me the free tech support I'm entitled to! :argh:

Seriously, though, this just happened again tonight. I pulled up the Network Utility and she had an IP address. I opened terminal and could ping her IP address. I could ping the gateway. But Firefox and Safari told her she was offline, and the errors were instantaneous, not from timeouts.

What the gently caress? It's extraordinarily frustrating for her, especially since everything else on the wireless network is working fine. Even power cycling the Airport Extreme didn't fix it right away this time. It just started working again on its own sometime later.
Do you have any weird / manual DNS entries?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

wolffenstein posted:

Try Radioshift or if that doesn't work, Audio Hijack Pro probably will.

Thanks, Radioshift looks like it'll work. I wonder if there's any way I can appropriate funds from the station for the license... Probably not :(

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
I'm an idiot for paying $50 for VMware Fusion 4. I just RMA'd that poo poo.

Parallels Desktop is much better. One, it uses Lion's built-in full screen API. And two, I don't have to figure out some crazy way of re-downloading Lion from the App Store (every "tip" I found for doing this doesn't work). Parallels uses your recovery partition.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Wait you're running a Lion VM in Lion?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

coldplay chiptunes posted:

It's pretty boss for checking out beta OS features if you're a dev.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Yo dawg, I put a VM in your VM, so you can VM while you VM.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

TACD posted:

Do you have any weird / manual DNS entries?

Nope. In fact, that's something I'd like to change but haven't gotten around to figuring out yet (the Verizon DNS servers do this annoying search redirect poo poo and I'd rather DHCP give out OpenDNS or Google DNS addresses.

But anyway, not a DNS issue.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Are the Time Machine local backups merged with the main backup when you reconnect the computer to Time Machine? I seem to have disabled my local backups somehow on my laptop, but I'm wondering if enabling them would do anything other than take up space on my hard drive.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Getting some weird artifacts on Lion, but only on system widgets and icons. I doubt it's an overheated video card or anything, but if anyone has seen this before:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Fren posted:

Getting some weird artifacts on Lion, but only on system widgets and icons. I doubt it's an overheated video card or anything, but if anyone has seen this before:

Need to know what Mac, what hardware, and most importantly: did you upgrade the RAM yourself?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Need to know what Mac, what hardware, and most importantly: did you upgrade the RAM yourself?

Bought new, no RAM upgrades since I got it.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

I'm thinking it could be nice to have a clean install to reference.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Most likely a hardware issue. See if 10.7.2 fixes your problem with updated drivers in the next couple weeks, otherwise make yourself a Genius appointment.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I hosed up a restore of my Boot Camp partition, and now I have a "ghost" entry for Windows as a startup option (I have no Boot Camp partitions, yet the entry is still there and attempting to boot from it just goes to a DOS style message that says "Missing operating system").

How can I get rid of this ghost entry? Looking at Disk Utility, all I have is a 120GB SSD that is purely HFS+ for my OS install, and a completely unformatted 320GB WD drive in my OptiBay. I found an external DVD drive to do the install of Windows from since I couldn't get USB install to work, I just want that ghost entry gone before I proceed.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Have you tried the repair options in Disk Utility?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Have you tried the repair options in Disk Utility?

Nope, I can try running that on my SSD when I get home. I'm not concerned with trying to restore that Windows install at this point (I already backed up the files, I just wanted to avoid having to dig up an external DVD drive), just want that entry gone before I go further.

To clarify, this appears as an EFI boot option when I hold down Alt at startup. Nothing other than my SSD appears as a Startup Disk option in the Preference Pane.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Is there an MBR on the hard drive that maybe it's seeing? I know you said it was blank, but are there any remnants of an OS?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Is there an MBR on the hard drive that maybe it's seeing? I know you said it was blank, but are there any remnants of an OS?

Ooh, maybe Winclone might have done something. There shouldn't be...I guess I could take out the OptiBay drive and hook it up to a Linux VM and run gparted on it to absolutely wipe anything that may be residing at 0x0000. I thought Disk Utility could take care of that as well?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

movax posted:

I thought Disk Utility could take care of that as well?
Disk Utility should be able to do it, so if you formatted it from there, it should be gone. Otherwise, you might want to give fdisk a whirl in Terminal.

0sn
Sep 9, 2009

Fren posted:

Getting some weird artifacts on Lion, but only on system widgets and icons.

I'm getting this too, same model + video card, but with 8gb of aftermarket RAM. I have to reboot to clear it up. Sometimes a whole window goes screwy on my external monitor, so I think it's video drivers. I think.

edit: ha ha five seconds after I posted that all my hard drives hanged hard and I had to force reboot. UNRELATED ISSUE.

0sn fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 20, 2011

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Grayham posted:

I'm an idiot for paying $50 for VMware Fusion 4. I just RMA'd that poo poo.

Parallels Desktop is much better. One, it uses Lion's built-in full screen API. And two, I don't have to figure out some crazy way of re-downloading Lion from the App Store (every "tip" I found for doing this doesn't work). Parallels uses your recovery partition.
I was interested in seeing what Parallels 7 vs. VMWare 4 war was going to be like. I always found VMWare 3 to be clunky compared to Parallels 5 and 6.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Resident Turbo Hayabusa Expert
I have an SSD I want to put in my MBP that's 120gb. I have a 320gb HD now in my MBP. I'm currently on Lion and was wondering can I back up now using Time Machine, insert my Snow Leopard CD I got with my MBP and restore from a time machine backup? Or do I have to install Snow Leopard and then install Lion and then restore from backup.

Also, does the time machine make my MBP just like I left it with all my programs installed that I installed?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

ReidStylez posted:

I have an SSD I want to put in my MBP that's 120gb. I have a 320gb HD now in my MBP. I'm currently on Lion and was wondering can I back up now using Time Machine, insert my Snow Leopard CD I got with my MBP and restore from a time machine backup? Or do I have to install Snow Leopard and then install Lion and then restore from backup.

Also, does the time machine make my MBP just like I left it with all my programs installed that I installed?

You could just use Carbon Copy Cloner / Super Duper / Disk Utility to make an exact copy of your current HD onto the SSD and you wouldn't have to bother installing anything really.

Edit: You can tell Carbon Copy Cloner to exclude certain folders if you're currently using more than 120GB on your HD.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Resident Turbo Hayabusa Expert

1997 posted:

You could just use Carbon Copy Cloner / Super Duper / Disk Utility to make an exact copy of your current HD onto the SSD and you wouldn't have to bother installing anything really.

Edit: You can tell Carbon Copy Cloner to exclude certain folders if you're currently using more than 120GB on your HD.

Looks like Carbon Copy Cloner is free even.

I should be able to hook my SSD to my laptop via SATA to USB and run the program and then just boot off my SSD, right?

Thanks!

ReidStylez fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 20, 2011

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Disk Utility should be able to do it, so if you formatted it from there, it should be gone. Otherwise, you might want to give fdisk a whirl in Terminal.

Repair disk fixed it, saw a quick line in the log about "fixing Windows boot.ini" or something. Some weirdness involved in getting Boot Camp to behave (had to put back in my internal optical drive) but it's all good now.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Fren posted:

I have seen these once or twice on a 27-inch Mid-2011 iMac. Reboot fixed it.

DigitalChaos
Aug 18, 2003

wolffenstein posted:

Take a look at this Mac OS X Hint. If you aren't on Leopard, be sure to read the comments to see if the directions are different for other versions of OS X.

thanks man! this is exactly what I want

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

You Am I posted:

I was interested in seeing what Parallels 7 vs. VMWare 4 war was going to be like. I always found VMWare 3 to be clunky compared to Parallels 5 and 6.
I've got both Parallels 7 and VMware Fusion 4 and like Grayham I much prefer Parallels. I really dislike the VM creation process in Fusion as all the individual options like Network and CPU are their own little sub-menus (like how Office for Mac does preferences) whereas Parallels just has General/Hardware/Options and has all the relevant things in a list. I've also found the video performance to be significantly better in Parallels and as mentioned it plays much better with Lion's Fullscreen mode. I don't run it in Coherence mode, so having it self contained in its own space works really nicely.

The only benefit of Fusion I've found so far is the fact that the VMs it creates are compatible with other VMware products. Except, you know, you can't run OSX VMs on Workstation or ESXi, so it's not really much of a benefit.

Performance wise for Parallels 7, I managed to get a Lion Server VM running as an OD master, a Windows Server 2008R2 server running AD and a Lion client in a virtual magic triangle and all running at the same time with no issues (other than AD binding on Lion still being poo poo) on my 2011 MBP (i7, 8GB of RAM, 1GB 6750M).

So yeah, pretty impressed with the new version of Parallels so far. Windows 8 Dev Preview also works fine in both Parallels 7 and Fusion 4 if you're into that sort of thing (can't install parallels/vmware tools in either though).

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Parallels does seem to be technically better but I have to say that I much prefer that VMWare does *not* use Lion's full screen mode. Having a full-screen Windows desktop would suck if it took up both my monitors to do it.

As an aside, is it possible to put VMWare into its own space like I could in 10.6?

Also, Parallels can't boot off Win7 on its own disk for some reason. It only supports Boot Camp partitions.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

~Coxy posted:

Parallels does seem to be technically better but I have to say that I much prefer that VMWare does *not* use Lion's full screen mode. Having a full-screen Windows desktop would suck if it took up both my monitors to do it.

As an aside, is it possible to put VMWare into its own space like I could in 10.6?

Also, Parallels can't boot off Win7 on its own disk for some reason. It only supports Boot Camp partitions.

Parallels just released a patch for 7 that provides the option to use the 'old school' full screen. http://kb.parallels.com/112281

quote:

This update for Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac (build 7.0.14922) addresses overall stability and performance issues and includes the following fixes and improvements:

- New interface languages, including Czech, Portuguese, Chinese Simplified, and Chinese Traditional.
- Option to choose Mac OS X Snow Leopard-style full screen mode instead of native OS X Lion full screen mode.
- Better compatibility with FileVault.
- Improved compatibility with FaceTime HD camera and other USB devices for virtual machines with more than 2 GB of memory.
- Resolves a problem with Mac slow boot time.

This is a major fix for me; I despise Lion's full screen support with a passion as I primarily use it on my dual monitor setup! :)

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

jink posted:

This is a major fix for me; I despise Lion's full screen support with a passion as I primarily use it on my dual monitor setup! :)
I've been running my MBP in clamshell mode attached to a 27" screen and completely forgot that full screen mode sucks with multiple monitors. It's good to see that Parallels are at least adding the option back in.

For those wondering, Fusion doesn't use Lion's fullscreen mode at all, so those of you who don't like it shouldn't have any issues with that either.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Anyone have any idea what this could be? It's popping up repeatedly in my dmesg output.

pre:
Can't load kext com.apple.filesystems.smbfs - link failed.
Failed to load executable for kext com.apple.filesystems.smbfs.
Kext com.apple.filesystems.smbfs failed to load (0xdc008016).
Failed to load kext com.apple.filesystems.smbfs (error 0xdc008016).
kxld[com.apple.filesystems.smbfs]: The Mach-O file is malformed: Invalid magic number: 0x7201c040.
Something corrupted maybe? This is on campus and I don't really use any windows file shares so I don't know if this actually broke SMB filesharing or not. Curious whether anyone's seen anything like it before though.

Just a followup, for whatever reason booting in 32bit mode fixed this. Not a long term solution -- I'll probably end up doing a reinstall -- but I thought I'd post it in case anyone has this issue in the future and needs Samba ASAP.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

~Coxy posted:

Interesting; I've never tried Parallels, always been a die-hard VMWare fan (I love Workstation and have been using Fusion 3 on OSX). Was about to drop $50 on Fusion 4, but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't give Parallels a shot. I picked Fusion originally because at the time I think Parallels was really, really sucking it hard.

Parallels will do VMs in general in addition to booting from Boot Camp, yeah? I keep a LXDE Fedora VM around for any Linuxy tasks I may have.

e: ^ Martytoof looks like an architecture mismatch, it's trying to mix 32 and 64 bit code or something would be my guess. I thought the magic number for Intel Mach-O ELFs was FEEDFACE. Did you run Monolingual or anything by chance?

movax fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 20, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

movax posted:

e: ^ Martytoof looks like an architecture mismatch, it's trying to mix 32 and 64 bit code or something would be my guess. I thought the magic number for Intel Mach-O ELFs was FEEDFACE. Did you run Monolingual or anything by chance?

That was my thought as well. Nope, this was a stock 10.7.1 install. I even copied the smbfs.kext from a working machine just in case it was corrupt. I'll worry if this persists after I reinstall the OS later this week, but for now I'm not too fussed since it's just a spare machine in my office that I'm barely using at all.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

movax posted:

Interesting; I've never tried Parallels, always been a die-hard VMWare fan (I love Workstation and have been using Fusion 3 on OSX). Was about to drop $50 on Fusion 4, but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't give Parallels a shot. I picked Fusion originally because at the time I think Parallels was really, really sucking it hard.

I'm using VMware professionally and picked up Parallels because Macupdate had a great deal some time ago (thanks goons). I like it a lot.

The.Big.Dirty.Emu
May 2, 2009
Is anyone running Atto's Xtend SAN iSCSI Initiator on Lion? They don't offer trials and I'd like to hear a few first hand experiences before dropping £120 on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
About every other time I add songs to iTunes, it starts to add them but never finishes; the tracks stay added, but grayed out, indefinitely. During this time the app is otherwise responsive; I can play other songs or change playlists or whatever. However, it hangs when I quit, unless I force-quite. When I restarted, the grayed-out items are totally gone and I can try to add them again, which usually works.

Has anyone run into this before? I'm on another music-collecting binge and it's getting really frustrating :(.

Edit: I think I fixed it. I checked the logs in Console for iTunes, and I found that there was an error:
code:
20110920 2:58:24.146 PM [0x0-0x4af4af].com.apple.iTunes: The plugin 'Quartz Composer Visualizer' failed to load because it has the wrong CPU architecture for this version of iTunes. (3585)
I removed /Library/iTunes/iTunes Plugins/Quartz Composer Visualizer.bundle, and iTunes hasn't exhibited any problems since. It's also been running faster.

I'm not sure where this came from, but I do have a fairly old install of OS X that I upgraded to Lion, so it's probably cruft from the days of 10.5 or something.

equation groupie fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 20, 2011