Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

TaurusOxford posted:

Someone clearly hasn't played Chains of Olympus, GoW1, or Ghost of Sparta...

haha i'm really bad at explaining. Well, yes I've actually played those games. In terms of Kratos characterization, I thought Gow1 and CoO and GoS were well done in terms of Kratos being pissed off. However what I meant was playing GoW 2 after Gow1 it seemed the anger was misplaced. In the beginning that is. I will say, that once I've played the prequels, it fleshed out Kratos some more. All I am saying is that Santa Monica Studios wouldn't have to do much to have Kratos angry in order to have him rip poo poo up in GoW4 if they choose to make it.

Ready at Dawn studios did a really great job with the psp titles, they didn't just feel like ports of god of war games at all.

Espeically Ghost of Sparta. That was my favorite. What made the game for me was,They took a what if, from the first game about Kratos brother and flesh it out, they explain the tattoo, Kratos actually was a bit human towards his brother. What made it better is how pissed off he was when he saw his brother die. He was just pissed. And the cherry on the topping was how pissed off he was at Athena, which lead nicely to GoW2. Very well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

eightysixed posted:

Since pretty much everyone I know said it's the best game on the PS3, I finally just started playing Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots for the first time last night. My first venture back to MGS since Metal Gear Solid on the Playstation 1. I don't think I know what I'm doing :(

What is the general consensus on the game here?

Download the MGS Database from the PSN Store. It's free and has a ton of info on anything you might wonder about. It's even cross-referenced. The best part is that you don't have to worry about spoiling MGS4 by reading it because any MGS4 specific information is locked out unless you have a cleared MGS4 save.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

MGS3:S was one of the best games ever. You owe it to yourself to play it if you liked MGS.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Is there a Disgaea 4 thread and I missed it?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

There's a Disgaea megathread.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Is FEAR 3's single player any good? Its got a pretty nice amazon lightning deal right now. I played the first one back when it came out and really liked it, but I never got any of the expansions or sequels.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
It's really fun and the two characters you can choose from are very different so it's enjoyable for a second playthrough as well. I liked it more than FEAR 2.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

iastudent posted:

Huh, so Burnout CRASH! is a top-down version of it. Otherwise I don't think I have any complaints about it.

Oh, man. That looks so bad. I'll try the demo, but I'm not really holding out any hope for it.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Fear 3 is a technically generic and fairly lazy cover based FPS, all horror elements have have been watered down, and most of the environments are ugly. You do have to play the levels as the regular dude with guns with a splash of slo-mo, and only afterwards can you use the ghost which is a couple degrees more fun.

If it's cheap enough that that doesn't matter, go for it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Fear 3 is a technically generic and fairly lazy cover based FPS, all horror elements have have been watered down, and most of the environments are ugly. You do have to play the levels as the regular dude with guns with a splash of slo-mo, and only afterwards can you use the ghost which is a couple degrees more fun.

Nah, for $20 I won't bother. I'll wait till the STEAM sale puts it out for $5. :)

I was hoping for some good spooky horror moments like the first one had.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
No it's definitely not as scary as the first one but the gunplay is still really solid.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

GTA 4 complete is going really drat fast on the next lightning deal. 2 minutes in and its 20% claimed.

Edit: holy poo poo, its halfway gone at 3 mins.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

I beat it in co-op and had a loving blast. The cover is useless and pointless, don't ever use it. Your slow-mo is almost as useless but is at least fun. Just shoot some dudes and laugh at the game trying to be scary.

There were some pretty good "scary" parts, I thought. When you're running through the mall and drop down into the arena made out of TVs I got this great feeling of impending doom.

Everyone should play almost all of FEAR 3 with a buddy. Then don't play the last level and you'll be happy!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

SpacePig posted:

Oh, man. That looks so bad. I'll try the demo, but I'm not really holding out any hope for it.

I watched the quick look on Giantbomb, and it looks kinda dumb. I dunno, my main Burnout game was Paradise, so I know I might be in the minority. I did try the 360 version of...3, maybe? The sense of speed was great, but I didn't particularly enjoy crash mode.

Paradise was the poo poo, though. Still is.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

EC posted:

I watched the quick look on Giantbomb, and it looks kinda dumb. I dunno, my main Burnout game was Paradise, so I know I might be in the minority. I did try the 360 version of...3, maybe? The sense of speed was great, but I didn't particularly enjoy crash mode.

Paradise was the poo poo, though. Still is.

Crash mode in 3 was pretty much biggest "Party Game" my friends and I had in high school, and I was really angry when they took it out of Paradise. Burnout is definitely my favorite racing series, and I will pretty much buy any iteration at this point, but I was honestly hoping that this Burnout Crash was just going to be the old Crash mode.:(

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
drat, God Of War HD is really fun, but the cutscenes are all prerendered from the PS2 version. Bah.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Leyburn posted:

drat, God Of War HD is really fun, but the cutscenes are all prerendered from the PS2 version. Bah.

It's not every day you see a game where the cutscenes look drastically worse than the gameplay. GoW 2 looks fantastic, though, cutscenes and gameplay. The whole package that makes up that collection is a good one -- even though it was one of the first HD re-releases, it still holds up as one of the better ones.

(Unlike, say, Resident Evil 4 Upscaled err HD. Why did Capcom have to put so little effort into it... Ugh.)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

ChetReckless posted:

It's not every day you see a game where the cutscenes look drastically worse than the gameplay.

Deus Ex: HR on the PC was like this. Hell, most games on the PC that use prerendered cutscenes look terrible because they're all compressed to poo poo for file size reasons.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

ChetReckless posted:

(Unlike, say, Resident Evil 4 Upscaled err HD. Why did Capcom have to put so little effort into it... Ugh.)

Wait, RE4 HD re-release is bad? Isn't it coming out soon?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Mitsune posted:

Today, I believe. And from what I've heard, it's not so much that it's bad as they basically just upscaled the PS2 version and called it a day. A shame they didn't include Move support, because the Wii controls were amazing on it.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

ChetReckless posted:

It's not every day you see a game where the cutscenes look drastically worse than the gameplay. GoW 2 looks fantastic, though, cutscenes and gameplay. The whole package that makes up that collection is a good one -- even though it was one of the first HD re-releases, it still holds up as one of the better ones.

Each game is a 9GB+ download, which is quite something for a PS2 game. Glad to hear that GoW2 has the cutscenes fixed.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

At least it's cheap and has all the Ada side content and stuff. I'm not sure what everyone was expecting besides an up-res when it's just a downloadable title. It'd definitely be worth 20 bucks for people who haven't ever had a chance to play it before.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
So I'm guessing it's worse looking than the patched PC version? Because if so that's a shame.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Did anyone else have audio issues playing GoW:Origins? In both games on the disc, it seemed like my front speakers were playing at an extremely low volume but my rear speakers were cranked. Only in gameplay, cinematics and menu stuff sounded normal. I even went through and disabled a bunch of the sound sets my receiver supports to try to limit it, but it still sounded messed up.

Other PS3 games sounded fine, so I don't know what the gently caress.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

EC posted:

Did anyone else have audio issues playing GoW:Origins? In both games on the disc, it seemed like my front speakers were playing at an extremely low volume but my rear speakers were cranked. Only in gameplay, cinematics and menu stuff sounded normal. I even went through and disabled a bunch of the sound sets my receiver supports to try to limit it, but it still sounded messed up.

Other PS3 games sounded fine, so I don't know what the gently caress.
No problem here, runs like a dream. In fact, as someone else before said, I kinda wish more previous-gen games would get this treatment, because the resolution and frame rate is so high compared to modern games.

Frankly though I'm not expecting this level of attention to detail for Konami's upcoming PS3 ports, based on screenshots and stuff so far.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Yodzilla posted:

So I'm guessing it's worse looking than the patched PC version? Because if so that's a shame.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kujNEnitEX4#t=6m

Mute the sound.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Kind of hard to tell. All of the videos I've found for the PC version are using really nice looking texture replacement packs so that's obviously going to be the best looking one out there but I don't know how vanilla PC fares. I mean look at these (switch to HD mode):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfYZgXho-hg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BewP19BBDzc

Also PC version supremacy I guess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EBn92nYSL4

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Mitsune posted:

Early reviews are having a hard time scoring it, since the game itself is still pretty good (it is RE4, after all), but the re-release is all but unnecessary. Apparently the character models look alright, but many of the textures are just stretched out rather than re-done.

The only extra stuff is directly from the Wii version (the Ada stuff, for example) with no new features to speak of. The Wii version was so good with the Wii remote -- this is the kind of game that would have made me finally consider picking up a Move, had they included the option.

When you compare the game to the recent SF Third Strike release -- a similarly priced downloadable title, also by Capcom -- which was lovingly packed with tons of extras and plenty of care/attention, it's really disappointing.

vvv That's a good point. It still stands that the expectation for some love and attention is reasonable, even in the downloadable/lower price point arena.

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 20, 2011

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Capcom didn't actually make the Third Strike thing, I imagine RE4 HD was actually an internal thing as opposed to something they farmed out to a third party.

Ironically the third party SF3 has GGPO support, something that Capcom themselves seems pretty up against. :iiam:

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

ChetReckless posted:

When you compare the game to the recent SF Third Strike release -- a similarly priced downloadable title, also by Capcom -- which was lovingly packed with tons of extras and plenty of care/attention, it's really disappointing.
What part of Third Strike Online was loving, was it the "charging money for palette swaps" part or the "online play almost never works and is unbelievably barebones" part?

It's an online fighting game with no way to search for opponents based on skill or connection strength. You're thrown in randomly and hope for the best on the very rare instance that search actually works at all. It just kind of boggles my mind to see that called a loving port.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Surlaw posted:

What part of Third Strike Online was loving, was it the "charging money for palette swaps" part or the "online play almost never works and is unbelievably barebones" part?

It's an online fighting game with no way to search for opponents based on skill or connection strength. You're thrown in randomly and hope for the best on the very rare instance that search actually works at all. It just kind of boggles my mind to see that called a loving port.

I haven't played it, so I can't attest to whether or not everything works, but: it's undeniable that a ton and a half of work was put into making it a feature rich package. As far as I know there are a bunch of extras (which some people dig), there's that crazy constantly updating achievement progress thing that looks confusing and distracting but still kinda cool, various graphical settings and game modes, etc. Apparently the fighting community really wanted that GGPO netcode, it just wasn't implemented well, I guess?

I guess if the word 'loving' doesn't strike you, maybe 'effortful'? Even if the execution isn't what it should be on all fronts, I would still rather have that problem than have nothing done at all. It seems like Iron Galaxy actually gave a poo poo about Third Strike, while it seems like Capcom barely bothered with RE4 HD.

(Keep in mind I haven't played either game so it's entirely possible I'm talking out my rear end.)

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 20, 2011

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
God Of War HD really is incredibly fun. Waaaay better than I was expecting it to be. I'm almost glad I missed out on these games on the PS2 so I can play them for the first time as HD games.

I was sceptical about shelling out for some PS2 remakes, but they really did a hell of a job. The game looks great, even though a lot of the character models are obviously last-gen.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
Downloading the RE4 upscale or whatever now. Super pumped because I never got very far in the game originally and never bothered with the Wii version. A total steal at 10 bones with Plus in my opinion. Also picked up RE 1 and 3 for free :D

Trip report: Just played through the first couple of chapters of RE4. I'm having a blast so far and the game is as good as I remember it.

There are definite texture issues. I've noticed the shotgun and ammo boxes have some pretty ugly textures. Objects in the environment seem to be hit or miss. Stuff like leaves on the ground are pretty bad. Character models look good and the cutscenes so far have looked nice.

The biggest issue I've noticed is that the villagers' voices (outside of cutscenes) sounds....off. Like they're trying to shout at you through the humidity in the Vancouver summer. Text is fuzzy but doesn't look bad per se. It's big, maybe I'm just so used to HD Mass Effect like text. The controls are well, uh the controls. If you've come from the Wii version they'll feel like dogshit, I didn't so I can tolerate them.

Overall if you've got money to burn and nostalgia pains its not a bad buy. If you're like me and have Plus and have never played the Wii version or finished the PS2/GC/PC version then its a total must buy, although I have a feeling that demographic is pretty small.

Also there are a PSN game's worth of trophies too.

pizza valentine fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 21, 2011

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

ChetReckless posted:

I haven't played it, so I can't attest to whether or not everything works, but: it's undeniable that a ton and a half of work was put into making it a feature rich package. As far as I know there are a bunch of extras (which some people dig), there's that crazy constantly updating achievement progress thing that looks confusing and distracting but still kinda cool, various graphical settings and game modes, etc. Apparently the fighting community really wanted that GGPO netcode, it just wasn't implemented well, I guess?
The Third Strike Online achievement system is distracting and ugly and is an absolutely terrible substitute for a legitimate ranking system based on wins/loses. The only real extras are unlockable artwork and dipswitches that no one will ever use outside of making funny Youtube videos of the game breaking. The interface is terrible, the visual filters aren't actually very good, and the online play is implemented in a shockingly bad way. This is pretty much my go-to game for a recent example of "terrible port of a great game."

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you like the Ratchet and Clank games, the PS3 demo station at Best Buy stores have a R&C: All 4 One demo among other demos. It's the only place where I've seen a demo of that game so far.
One big difference between it and the other R&C games is that you no longer have control of the camera. The camera is on a fixed path, kind of like the camera in the God of War games. The right stick now pulls up the weapon wheel.

If you really like the Ratchet and Clank games, there are free beta codes for All 4 One on ratchetandclank.com. Just click on the image above the video that says "CLICK HERE FOR BETA ACCESS" and a beta code will show up on the screen.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Yechezkel posted:

If you like the Ratchet and Clank games, the PS3 demo station at Best Buy stores have a R&C: All 4 One demo among other demos. It's the only place where I've seen a demo of that game so far.
One big difference between it and the other R&C games is that you no longer have control of the camera. The camera is on a fixed path, kind of like the camera in the God of War games. The right stick now pulls up the weapon wheel.

If you really like the Ratchet and Clank games, there are free beta codes for All 4 One on ratchetandclank.com. Just click on the image above the video that says "CLICK HERE FOR BETA ACCESS" and a beta code will show up on the screen.

I feel mixed about downloading this. On the one hand I adore Ratchet and Clank and honestly, it's probably the biggest reason I bought a PS3. On the other hand there are too many games coming out this season and I have convinced myself to wait on this game and I don't need this convincing me otherwise.

Still, I'm downloading it and thanks for posting it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Burnout Crash is slightly better than I expected, annnnnd even at that, it's freaking awful. The announcer alone is garbage.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Is there some sort of curse that doesn't allow FPS reticules when using motion controllers to stay on the center of the screen and use the remote itself to turn and aim at the same time? I've been watching some videos of the Move being used to play Killzone 3 and it seems to use the same horrid control scheme as the Wii where if someone isn't on the center of the screen you're hosed because you'll start to turn around while dragging the crosshair trying to shoot them.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

GUI posted:

Is there some sort of curse that doesn't allow FPS reticules when using motion controllers to stay on the center of the screen and use the remote itself to turn and aim at the same time? I've been watching some videos of the Move being used to play Killzone 3 and it seems to use the same horrid control scheme as the Wii where if someone isn't on the center of the screen you're hosed because you'll start to turn around while dragging the crosshair trying to shoot them.

Many games where they've actually put some thought into it, even on the Wii, let you configure your own dead zones and whatnot to make the aiming be pretty much what you described.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Has there been any talk about that X-Men Destiny game coming out next week? I haven't heard much about it with all the focus on Arkham Asylum/Saints Row 3/other huge releases coming up. Graphics looked a little rough in the trailer I dug up on youtube, but it was hard to tell much about the gameplay from a 70 second clip.

• Locked thread